Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15
Send Topic Print
Photography- all- but mainly black and white (Read 29288 times)
Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Re: Photography- all- but mainly black and white
Reply #90 - Jun 13th, 2016 at 12:31am

Wolseley wrote on Jun 4th, 2016 at 11:52pm:
The photos from the late 1960s onwards are ones that I took.  The earlier ones are ones that my late father took.

I also have a photo album of his from my father's years serving in the RAF in WWII, mostly taken in Egypt, Singapore, Malaya, India and Burma.  Some of the photos are ones he took himself, some were bought as souvenirs, and some are... I'm not sure which.  I haven't scanned any of them yet though.

In the meantime, here are three photos of The Entrance, taken in either 1958 or 1959.  I'm wearing the black hat in the first photo.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/8/7611/27335825952_c61a0bf293_c.jpg

https://c6.staticflickr.com/8/7427/27434797365_437b55c52c_c.jpg

https://c4.staticflickr.com/8/7126/26827437323_b098b4236b_c.jpg

I think I see the top of a black hat Wol ?...anyway great shots,so are cheerful and bright- the Fair Sea was that a pleasant journey?

You must get that album of your dads scanned and - I imagine they would be very very interesting.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #91 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 11:55am

Agnes wrote on Jun 13th, 2016 at 12:31am:
the Fair Sea was that a pleasant journey?

I don't know if pleasant would be the right word.  Families were separated, with mothers and children going in cabins that were shared with other mothers and children, and fathers in cramped basic quarters near the engines.  It's all you could expect, I suppose, for £10.  My mother hated just about every minute of it but I'm not sure what my father thought of it, as he never spoke much.  For the young children like myself (I was almost 5 at the time) it was all a great adventure, and I can remember quite a lot about the trip.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #92 - Jun 15th, 2016 at 8:40pm

Wolseley wrote on Jun 15th, 2016 at 11:55am:
Agnes wrote on Jun 13th, 2016 at 12:31am:
the Fair Sea was that a pleasant journey?

I don't know if pleasant would be the right word.  Families were separated, with mothers and children going in cabins that were shared with other mothers and children, and fathers in cramped basic quarters near the engines.  It's all you could expect, I suppose, for  £10.  My mother hated just about every minute of it but I'm not sure what my father thought of it, as he never spoke much.  For the young children like myself (I was almost 5 at the time) it was all a great adventure, and I can remember quite a lot about the trip.

Is this the time when the  £10 poms came to Australia ?, not to sound disrespectful Wol..I don't know to much about it only that many Brits came out to work factories in places like Whyalla SA..I don't even know what year. That would have been an exciting journey if you were coming out to start a new life especially and coming with that sadness for having left your mother land behind.

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #93 - Jun 16th, 2016 at 8:47pm

Agnes wrote on Jun 15th, 2016 at 8:40pm:
Is this the time when the  £10 poms came to Australia ?, not to sound disrespectful Wol..I don't know to much about it only that many Brits came out to work factories in places like Whyalla SA..I don't even know what year. That would have been an exciting journey if you were coming out to start a new life especially and coming with that sadness for having left your mother land behind.

The Assisted Passage scheme was initiated immediately after WWII by the Chifley government, as an increase in population was seen as imperative if Australia was to prosper in the post-war years.  The use word "Pom" (which I've always thought of as referring to the English, rather than to the British as a whole) in the commonly used title of "£10 Poms" was not entirely accurate as, aside from English, there were Scottish, Irish and Welsh immigrants who came out on the scheme, as well as immigrants from other countries within the Commonwealth, such as Malta and Cyprus.  I don't know how long the scheme went for, but I think it ran for at least 20 years.

My father was a high school art teacher, and we came to Sydney because that was where the position he was to be appointed to was.  I'm not sure if there was any choice in the matter.  After a brief stay in a boarding house at Dulwich Hill, we were sent to the "housing settlement" at Bradfield Park (now known as East Lindfield) which was a recycled Air Force camp.  Quite an experience and one that did not endear the idea of living in Australia to my mother.

My first recollection of Australia was alighting from the boat to get a taxi to Dulwich Hill.  I was very keen on cars and could identify most by name (Riley, Rover and Armstrong-Siddeley were a few of my favourites) but when I saw the taxi, I couldn't figure out what it was.  I later learnt that it had been an FJ Holden.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #94 - Jun 20th, 2016 at 11:12am

That is quite a story Wol.  Interesting that I see quite a few cars in your pictures, you seem to like them very much, typical guy..
  Interesting that your dad was an art teacher my daughter is studying an arts degree, but after a year and a half she is rethinking that , the Govt cutting funding to the arts  changed her mind-

That time in Australia was quite interesting I think- and do you miss England very much? even though you left at 5 yrs of age. ? What do think of the changes there now.

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #95 - Jun 21st, 2016 at 2:57am

Agnes wrote on Jun 20th, 2016 at 11:12am:
Interesting that I see quite a few cars in your pictures, you seem to like them very much, typical guy..

True, I am interested in cars, although my interest is more in the history of motoring and, as far as cars are concerned, my interests are mostly confined to the years prior to 1975 or thereabouts.  I have very little interest in performance cars of any sort.  My interests lie more in everyday vehicles of past eras.  Porsches, Lamborghinis and Ferraris don’t really interest me.  Morrises, Austins, Wolseleys and Hillmans do.

Interesting that your dad was an art teacher my daughter is studying an arts degree, but after a year and a half she is rethinking that , the Govt cutting funding to the arts  changed her mind

My father completed a Diploma in Art at Dundee Art College in the late 1940s and followed that up with teaching qualifications (I can’t recall exactly what they were).  I remember him telling me that a lot of Australian art teachers in the 1950s and 1960s were not trained at art colleges but were just trained teachers who were interested in art.  An art teacher in Australia who had any qualifications in art was apparently a bit of a rarity back then.

That time in Australia was quite interesting I think- and do you miss England very much? even though you left at 5 yrs of age?

I am Scottish, not English, and the fact that I had a rather prominent accent led to me being singled out (both by fellow students and by teachers) as being a bit different and to being the butt of a few other pupil’s jokes.  The result was, I suppose that, although I did have some friends, I ended up being a bit withdrawn and sensed that I didn’t quite belong.  The irony of it is that, when I went to live in Scotland for a while in the late 1970s, I felt like I didn’t belong there either, as I had been brought up in a rather different environment.  Needless to say, I came back to Australia after a couple of years and am well and truly settled down here now.

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #96 - Jun 21st, 2016 at 8:29pm

Until I have a chance to scan more of my father's photos, here's a photo from the State Library of NSW's site that shows what the Bradfield Park Housing Settlement was like:

The wife of one of the couples we came across on the boat with had a nervous breakdown after being subjected to this.  She then had to undergo a rigorous assessment before they could go back to the UK without having to repay the cost of the fare (less £10 of course).  The people there were all sorts of no-hopers waiting for public housing as well as immigrants.  The family next door to us had obvious mental problems, and the man across the road accidentally set fire to the building when he fell asleep while smoking.  One memory I have is of someone around the corner who repainted his car - it was a piece of 1930s Americana, maybe a Chevrolet, with a tin of paint and a brush.  Another memory of it I have was coming home from school and being attacked by a pack of dogs and the onlookers cheering on the dogs.

About fifteen years ago I came across someone else who lived through the same experience.  I emailed him copies of a couple of my father's old photographs.  He showed them to his mother, who said something along the lines of "I didn't think I'd ever see that bloody place again".

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #97 - Jun 28th, 2016 at 10:57am

Blues Point Road, North Sydney in 1959.  The large block of flats is still there, but is now dwarfed by the surrounding buildings.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #98 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 5:11pm

Wolseley wrote on Jun 21st, 2016 at 8:29pm:
Until I have a chance to scan more of my father's photos, here's a photo from the State Library of NSW's site that shows what the Bradfield Park Housing Settlement was like:

http://acms.sl.nsw.gov.au/_DAMl/image/12/110/d2_03534r.jpg

The wife of one of the couples we came across on the boat with had a nervous breakdown after being subjected to this.  She then had to undergo a rigorous assessment before they could go back to the UK without having to repay the cost of the fare (less £10 of course).  The people there were all sorts of no-hopers waiting for public housing as well as immigrants.  The family next door to us had obvious mental problems, and the man across the road accidentally set fire to the building when he fell asleep while smoking.  One memory I have is of someone around the corner who repainted his car - it was a piece of 1930s Americana, maybe a Chevrolet, with a tin of paint and a brush.  Another memory of it I have was coming home from school and being attacked by a pack of dogs and the onlookers cheering on the dogs.

About fifteen years ago I came across someone else who lived through the same experience.  I emailed him copies of a couple of my father's old photographs.  He showed them to his mother, who said something along the lines of "I didn't think I'd ever see that bloody place again".

Great picture Wol..and what a story, kind of ghettto like sounded like to me.. "cheering on the dog's" really gets me, how awful- how bad can it be, not much worse I wouldn't think- you have a book in you I think, I really do- I would definitely read it ! Painting a Cheverolet with a paint brush wow..amazing. very hard tough times.. a very rich and colorful history .

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #99 - Jun 29th, 2016 at 5:14pm

I adore this picture- beautiful, could see it as a painting in fact, lovely.  This in Australia..?

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #100 - Jun 30th, 2016 at 10:58pm

Agnes wrote on Jun 29th, 2016 at 5:14pm:
I adore this picture- beautiful, could see it as a painting in fact, lovely.  This in Australia..?

Yes it is: Miller Street, North Sydney.

And here's a photo of Bradfield Park Housing Settlement.  We were in the last row of huts (I hesitate to call them houses) bordering on the Lane Cove National Park.  After they bulldozed it all, they renamed the suburb East Lindfield, presumably to get rid of some bad karma.

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #101 - Jul 1st, 2016 at 10:45pm

And now for something different, as they say - and this time nothing like black and white: a window display in The Royal Arcade in Melbourne.

« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2016 at 10:54pm by Wolseley »  

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #102 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 5:27pm

That really is some window display, very cheerful, just the thing for a dreary winters day..   Wink

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #103 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 5:30pm

Bad karma- it was that bad huh? anyway some of those old cars would be worth a bit now.

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #104 - Jul 6th, 2016 at 9:38pm

Another Melbourne photo, Coop's Shot Tower at Melbourne Central:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15