Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Helping Third-World Countries (Read 1586 times)
Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Helping Third-World Countries
Mar 17th, 2016 at 2:39pm

I thought it was interesting to read this item about Tasmanian Fashion students sewing sanitary kits for girls in third world countries. It is not something "we" even think about here in Australia. Good on them!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-03-17/tasmanian-fashion-students-sew-sanitary-ki...

Quote:
Fashion students in Hobart have helped ensure girls in impoverished countries do not miss a week of school each month due to menstruation, by sewing sanitary kits.

As part of their assessment, the TasTAFE students spent a week making 320 liners, 80 shields and 40 bags, that will be sent to Cambodia.

They teamed up with a Hobart arm of the international charity Days for Girls, which sends the kits, including soap and face washes, to more than 80 countries, helping tens of thousands of school girls.

Fashion teacher Willy Priestley saw the charity's stall at the Deloraine Craft Fair last year, and decided to include the project on the curriculum.

She learnt girls in third-world countries often miss school for a week every month when they menstruated because of a lack of appropriate sanitation, shame and cultural expectations.

"I felt this was not equal and not fair," she said.

"I thought it would be a good project for my students to do something that's real and get their quality standards up."

Student Priya Kitchener said it was vital girls in third-world countries received an equal education to their male counterparts.

"To not make it derogatory for these girls to go to school when they have their periods," she said.

"We made these fun little bags that clearly show someone made them with love.

"So these girls can feel a lot more comfortable."

Ms Priestley said the students gained valuable skills using industrial sewing machines.

"It was really good technical training for them," she said.

Days for Girls Hobart team leader Susan Hutchinson said the kits made by the TAFE students contributed to an Australia-wide effort.

"One of my most rewarding experiences was in 2014 we gave supplies to two orphanages in Kenya and a month or two later I got an email saying they were now able to spend more of their money on food, because they weren't paying for 40 girls to have disposable sanitary products," she said.

There are plans to keep the project running at TasTAFE in the coming years.

The sanitary kits last three years and will be packed-up today and are expected to reach orphanages in Cambodia in the coming months.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Helping Third-World Countries
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2023 at 6:32pm

This Topic was moved here from Women's Issues by freediver.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print