Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
History Challenge (Read 5911 times)
Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
History Challenge
Mar 14th, 2016 at 3:22pm

When was America discovered? WITHOUT using Google.

1 1453

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Re: History Challenge
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 3:36pm

Depends on what your definition of discovery is, I suppose.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #2 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 5:48pm

Quiz of Knowledge is a free game for your "device".  That is where I got the question from.

The answer is 2 ... 1492 when Columbus ran into the tip of "Florida". I have never accepted that Christopher Columbus "discovered" America (i.e. the USA) but they think he did and have a special Columbus Day to celebrate ....  Grin

Check out Columbus' journeys. He hardly "discovered" the USA ... but South America?  Sure.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 6:45pm

Er.... America (the continent) was actually discovered by Amerigo Vespucci, not Colombus.

Colombus through he arrived in Asia (hence 'Indians'). It was Amerigo (America, geddit?) who demonstrated that this was a new continent unrelated and unconnected to Asia  ("West Indies")

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2016 at 7:22pm by Soren »  

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 8:08am

Soren wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 6:45pm:
Er.... America (the continent) was actually discovered by Amerigo Vespucci, not Colombus.

Colombus through he arrived in Asia (hence 'Indians'). It was Amerigo (America, geddit?) who demonstrated that this was a new continent unrelated and unconnected to Asia  ("West Indies")

It has also been suggested that the name 'America' comes from Richard Americas (a patronym meaning 'son of Merrick'). Americas was a businessnman from Bristol in the UK who funded and was the treasurer of John Cabot's voyages in the late 15th century.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 9:17am

Continental America was, of course, discovered by the Vikings.

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 10:01am

Yup. So it should really be called 'Erica' after Eric the Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 15th, 2016 at 9:17am:
Continental America was, of course, discovered by the Vikings.

Yup. So it should really be called 'Erica' after Eric the Red's missus...

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 2:47pm

The USA celebrates COLUMBUS DAY each October because they think Christopher Columbus discovered America and his "arrival" in America on 12 October, 1492.

It's an annual event and public holiday over there.

If you check the map I posted, above, you will see that good old Christopher didn't actually go near the USA, the best he did was "discover" Cuba. He did NOT "land" in the US of A.  That doesn't deter the Yanks and I have had discussions with various USA email friends about their lack of historical knowledge.  Wink

Quote:
Columbus Day is a national holiday in many countries in the Americas and elsewhere which officially celebrates the anniversary of Christopher Columbus' arrival and Discovery of America, which happened on October 12, 1492. The landing is celebrated as Columbus Day in the United States, as Día de la Raza ("Day of the Race") in many countries in Latin America and as Día de la Hispanidad and Fiesta Nacional in Spain, where it is also the religious festivity of La Virgen del Pilar. It is also celebrated as Día de las Américas (Day of the Americas) in Belize and Uruguay, as Discovery Day in the Bahamas, as Día del Respeto a la Diversidad Cultural (Day of Respect for Cultural Diversity) in Argentina and as Giornata Nazionale di Cristoforo Colombo or Festa Nazionale di Cristoforo Colombo in Italy and in the Little Italys around the world.[1][2] These holidays have been celebrated unofficially since the late 18th century and officially in various countries since the early 20th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Day

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 3:17pm

Neferti wrote on Mar 15th, 2016 at 2:47pm:
The USA celebrates COLUMBUS DAY each October because they think Christopher Columbus discovered America and his "arrival" in America on 12 October, 1492.

If you check the map I posted, above, you will see that good old Christopher didn't actually go near the USA, the best he did was "discover" Cuba. He did NOT "land" in the US of A.  That doesn't deter the Yanks and I have had discussions with various USA email friends about their lack of historical knowledge.  Wink

But where do you draw the line?

Australia had the Dutch landing on our shores 100 years before Cook.

etc etc.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 3:57pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 15th, 2016 at 3:17pm:

etc etc.

Which Dutch explorer are you talking about? Willem Janszoon? He is purported to have "seen" the coast of Australia in 1605.  Then there was Abel Tasman a bit later?

Do we celebrate the "seeing of land" by these Explorers? Pity, we could do with a few more National Holidays.  Grin

Even AUSTRALIA DAY doesn't commemorate Captain Cook "exploring" Australia, it commemorates 26 January 1788 and the arrival First Fleet landing here.

Why the Yanks celebrate Columbus Day, who knows?  Christopher never set foot in the USA/North America. At least Cook had his feet on our soil ... with the aboriginals all hiding behind foliage ....  nekkid and scared out of their wits.  Grin They should have used their boomerangs/spears and attacked. Lost opportunity and they are still having a whine about it.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 4:01pm

Neferti wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 3:22pm:
When was America discovered? WITHOUT using Google.

1 1453

None of the above.

There is evidence the Celtics were there before Columbus.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2016 at 5:17pm

Neferti wrote on Mar 15th, 2016 at 3:57pm:
Why the Yanks celebrate Columbus Day, who knows?  Christopher never set foot in the USA/North America. At least Cook had his feet on our soil ... with the aboriginals all hiding behind foliage ....  nekkid and scared out of their wits.  Grin They should have used their boomerangs/spears and attacked. Lost opportunity and they are still having a whine about it.  Cheesy

I highly recommend you read '1788' by David Hill. It's a damned good read and surprisingly, although David Hill is a North Shore 'luvvie' - he writes a very honest account of things, with only a very minimal of finger-wagging at the Brits and today's dinki di Aussies.

IP Logged

The Heartless Felon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 5:44am

Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 15th, 2016 at 3:17pm:

etc etc.

The Portuguese mapped a large part of  the east coast of Australia but, according to a Papal Bull issued in 1599, would have had to give the maps to Spain. They didn't like the idea so they kept them. Unfortunately, they were mostly destroyed in an earthquake in Lisbon in 1755.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 7:52am

The Heartless Felon wrote on Mar 16th, 2016 at 5:44am:
The Portuguese mapped a large part of  the east coast of Australia but, according to a Papal Bull issued in 1599, would have had to give the maps to Spain. They didn't like the idea so they kept them. Unfortunately, they were mostly destroyed in an earthquake in Lisbon in 1755.

Good stuff, Heartless - thanks for that.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Mar 16th, 2016 at 10:44am

"In fourteen hundred and ninety two, Columbus sailed the ocean blue".

I learned that at school.  I am wondering now ...  why?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print