Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32
Send Topic Print
I'm not saying its hot, but .... (Read 45172 times)
lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: I'm not saying its hot, but ....
Reply #90 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 12:59pm

Unforgiven wrote on Sep 27th, 2016 at 12:35pm:
Nice try lee. The heat is transmitted from the sun and trapped by the atmosphere preventing dissipation at night.

And UHI is the effect of increase in Asphalt and Concrete, retaining the heat and more slowly cooling overnight. Now all you have to do is quantify both. Or quantify one and calculate the other. You can’t calculate for two unknowns. Though climate scientists try. Wink

'Changes in satellite-derived impervious surface area at US historical climatology network stations'

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0924271616302891
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2016 at 1:16pm by lee »  

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #91 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 1:08pm

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #92 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 9:26pm

Unforgiven wrote on Sep 26th, 2016 at 6:05pm:
San Francisco USA heat record in USA Fall (Autumn) 97oF:

Whoahoah! 97degF!

I think I had one of those days the other week. And we are not at the peak hot days of December-January yet. For an Autumn day, that is pretty hot. But not unusual for a month outside of Summer.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #93 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 9:36pm

One location had 104oF which is 40oC which is very hot one month into Autumn.

Quote:
Several parts of the state saw record-breaking heat on Sunday as temperatures ran 10 to 25 degrees above normal for this time of the year. A record 104 degrees was set in Camarillo, about 47 miles northwest of Los Angeles, beating the old record of 102 set 38 years ago.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #94 - Sep 27th, 2016 at 10:08pm

In April, if we had a 40-degree day, it would be a record around here. But, it would not seem all that far-fetched in a time like March. Even a near end of March 40 degree day would not seem out of reach or unusual. I woke up to a 35 degree August day in 2003.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #95 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 12:22pm

The evidence accumulates:

http://www.sci-tech-today.com/story.xhtml?story_id=130007AIM85K

Quote:
While records were broken, the summer has "been more notable for the consistency of the heat than individual high-impact heatwaves," said Blair Trewin of the Australian Bureau of Meteorology and the World Meteorological Organization.

For example, Savannah, Georgia, had a record 69 days in a row of 90 degrees (32.22 Celsius) or higher.

Twelve U.S. cities had their warmest summers ever, including Las Vegas, New Orleans, Cleveland and Detroit. The globe had its hottest month on record (July) and hottest summer on record. August was the 16th consecutive month Earth set a monthly heat record, according to NOAA.

Temperatures of 129 degrees (54 degrees Celsius) were recorded in Mitribah, Kuwait, and Basra, Iraq. If verified, these would be not only the hottest temperatures recorded for Asia, but the hottest recorded outside a much-debated record in Death Valley, according to weather historians.

The extra heat -- both in the air and oceans -- puts significantly extra moisture in the air, which then comes down as more extreme downpours, said Kevin Trenberth, a senior scientist at the National Center for Atmospheric Research. And when an area is already dry, droughts worsen because warmer air takes more water out of the ground, like "levying a larger tax on the plants and soil moisture," Arndt said.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #96 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 12:29pm

Sea level rise.

The ruins of a Civil War-era structure, Fort Beauregard, lie partially submerged east of New Orleans. Researchers say many large coastal cities around the world sink faster than sea levels rise. Credit: Frank McMains:

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #97 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 12:31pm

And WA had the coldest, wettest winter for a long time.

Just weather.

'This report describes the typical weather at the Hunter Aff (Savannah, Georgia, United States) weather station over the course of an average year. It is based on the historical records from 1975 to 2012. Earlier records are either unavailable or unreliable. '

https://weatherspark.com/averages/31707/Savannah-Georgia-United-States

The hottest summer in 40 years? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #98 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 12:35pm

Unforgiven wrote on Oct 9th, 2016 at 12:29pm:
Sea level rise.

The ruins of a Civil War-era structure, Fort Beauregard, lie partially submerged east of New Orleans. Researchers say many large coastal cities around the world sink faster than sea levels rise. Credit: Frank McMains:

http://climate.nasa.gov/system/news_items/main_images/2487_58_fort768.jpg

you forgot this bit.

'That is the conclusion of a review article published by a team of scientists who recently assembled in New Orleans, La., and in Venice, Italy, to examine the problem. Extraction of groundwater or fossil fuels, and sometimes simply generations of farming, are causing large metropolitan areas in coastal zones around the world to subside surprisingly quickly—making the relative rise of adjacent seas an even greater potential hazard.'

Also known as subsidence. Wink

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #99 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 10:54pm

33 degrees today. Felt like summer had already arrived, and we missed spring.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #100 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 9:24am

A new October 19 record in USA fall (Autumn).

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/news/local/2016/10/19/today-hottest-oct-19...

Quote:
Today was the hottest Oct. 19 on record

It's officially hot.

At 4:33 p.m. Wednesday, the National Weather Service reported a record high temperature of 89 degrees at Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport, shattering the old record of 87 set back in 1941.

"It's also the warmest we've ever been this late in the season," the Weather Service said on Twitter.

The normal high for this time of year is 72 degrees, according to Weather Service records.

The uncommonly hot weather also broke records in Charlotte and Asheville, which reported a high temperature of 84 degrees Wednesday afternoon.

The heat will last through Thursday before cooling down to the low 70's this weekend, the Weather Service said.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #101 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 11:06am

Unforgiven wrote on Oct 20th, 2016 at 9:24am:
At 4:33 p.m. Wednesday, the National Weather Service reported a record high temperature of 89 degrees at Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport, shattering the old record of 87 set back in 1941.

'Over fifty years ago, the seeds were planted for what is known today as Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport – Roger Milliken Field. Since that first flight which took place in 1962, GSP has earned a reputation of safety and has grown into one of the finest airports in the country.'

http://gspairport.com/aboutgsp/

Wow. It was an international airport 21 years before the first flight?

Maybe Milliken Field existed before then. But i imagine that there is far more concrete runways, buildings etc now.  You have heard of UHI, right?

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #102 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 11:42am

lee wrote on Oct 20th, 2016 at 11:06am:
Unforgiven wrote on Oct 20th, 2016 at 9:24am:

'Over fifty years ago, the seeds were planted for what is known today as Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport – Roger Milliken Field. Since that first flight which took place in 1962, GSP has earned a reputation of safety and has grown into one of the finest airports in the country.'

http://gspairport.com/aboutgsp/

Wow. It was an international airport 21 years before the first flight?

Maybe Milliken Field existed before then. But i imagine that there is far more concrete runways, buildings etc now.  You have heard of UHI, right?

You are losing your cool denizen lee. AGW?

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #103 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 11:45am

Unforgiven wrote on Oct 20th, 2016 at 11:42am:

Nope. UHI. Wink

0.8ºC in about 160 years? With the IPCC claiming about half as AGW? I doubt even you could tell the difference.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #104 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 12:06pm

lee wrote on Oct 20th, 2016 at 11:45am:
Unforgiven wrote on Oct 20th, 2016 at 11:42am:

Nope. UHI. Wink

0.8ºC in about 160 years? With the IPCC claiming about half as AGW? I doubt even you could tell the difference.

No man is an island. Central Park is not an island.

Oh my god! There was an instance of 102oF

"NYC weather: Record high temperatures recorded in Central Park

It may be October, but you wouldn't believe it, looking at the thermometer.
The National Weather Service said New York City experienced a record high of 85 degrees in Central Park on Wednesday. The previous record, set in 1928, was 82 degrees.
"The normal [temperature] is about 63, 64, so right now we’re about 20 degrees above the normal high," meteorologist Carlie Buccola said. "It’s a nice little October treat."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/weather/2016/10/19/record-heat-indian-summer/92404...

Quote:
What happened to fall? Wednesday was another day of record heat across much of the central and eastern U.S., as temperatures soared into the 80s as far north as New England.

Record highs were set Wednesday in cities such as New York City, Philadelphia, Providence, Baltimore, Nashville, Charlotte, and Raleigh, N.C., the National Weather Service reported, some breaking decades-old measurements.

The cause of the heat is a strong area of high pressure over the Southeast, which is helping funnel very warm air northward, AccuWeather meteorologist Andy Mussoline said.

Even though it's from a separate weather pattern across the country, southern California is even getting in on the heat parade, with temperatures in the 90s and 100s forecast for the next few days, along with dry Santa Ana winds that could spark wildfires.

For folks in the East yearning for crisp fall weather, a dramatic "reality check" of cooler temperatures is expected by the end of the week and the weekend, the weather service said. After another warm day Thursday, a cold front moving in Friday will finally usher a cooler Canadian air mass into the central and eastern U.S.

Rain showers and gusty winds will accompany the cooler temperatures, AccuWeather said. The heaviest rain will fall in western Pennsylvania and upstate New York, while some needed showers will also fall in New England, much of which remains in a drought.

By the weekend, high temperatures for the East Coast will even be a bit cooler than average, only in the mid-50s in some areas.

That will be a drastic change from the past few days after more than 250 record temperatures were set across 34 states since Saturday, according to the Weather Channel. That includes both record warm afternoon temperatures and record warm nights.

On Monday, Dodge City, Kan., rose all the way to 101 degrees, setting a new record high for the entire month of October, the weather service reported. It was the hottest October day there since records began in 1875 during the Grant Administration.

On Sunday, the tiny community of Slapout, Okla., (population: 8) hit 102 degrees, making it the hottest temperature so late in the season for the entire state of Oklahoma, according to the Oklahoma Climate Survey.

Can we call this Indian Summer?

There are many theories as to how the term "Indian summer" came into existence. The official definition from the American Meteorological Society's Glossary of Weather and Climate states "an Indian summer is a time interval in mid- or late autumn of unseasonably warm weather, generally with clear skies, sunny but hazy days, and cool nights."

In New England, according to the glossary, at least one killing frost and preferably a period of normally cool weather must precede this warm spell in order for it to be considered a true "Indian summer."

The term is most often heard in the Northeast, but other English-speaking countries also refer to it. It dates back at least to 1778, the glossary notes, but its origin is not certain; most likely it's the way American Indians used this extra opportunity to increase their winter stores.

So far this year, the U.S. is sweltering through its second-warmest year on record, the National Centers for Environmental Information said. Only 2012 was warmer.
« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2016 at 12:16pm by Unforgiven »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32
Send Topic Print