Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 
Send Topic Print
I'm not saying its hot, but .... (Read 45205 times)
lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: I'm not saying its hot, but ....
Reply #450 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 1:55pm

BoM says you can't trust temperature data before 1910. Wink

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #451 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 9:14pm

Dnarever wrote on Feb 12th, 2017 at 12:46pm:
People who don't want to believe in climate change seem to hang their hat on the difference between weather and climate which is just babble. The reality is it is just the difference between a short term and long term view.

If the weather is consistently hotter it will reflect in climate and vice-versa.

An interesting thought is looking at the current heat wave and considering this in terms of the expected 30 year result in climate.

This weekend of 40 ++ degree temperatures in the projected world will be normal. In 30 years if climate change progresses the days of this weekend would be considered as normal summers days.

The problem really presents itself when you consider what a hot summers day may be like or an extremely hot summers period ??

It is very likely that our children will have to face this.

tHE HEAT SINKS WILL GET IT FIRST,.... it's called hysterisis and the propaganda artists still rule because of it....until the makets shake that is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

......Australia has an illegitimate Government!

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #452 - Feb 14th, 2017 at 9:15pm

Dnarever wrote on Feb 12th, 2017 at 12:46pm:
People who don't want to believe in climate change seem to hang their hat on the difference between weather and climate which is just babble. The reality is it is just the difference between a short term and long term view.

If the weather is consistently hotter it will reflect in climate and vice-versa.

An interesting thought is looking at the current heat wave and considering this in terms of the expected 30 year result in climate.

This weekend of 40 ++ degree temperatures in the projected world will be normal. In 30 years if climate change progresses the days of this weekend would be considered as normal summers days.

The problem really presents itself when you consider what a hot summers day may be like or an extremely hot summers period ??

It is very likely that our children will have to face this.

tHE HEAT SINKS WILL GET IT FIRST,.... it's called hysterisis and the propaganda artists still rule because of it....until the makets shake that is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #453 - Feb 16th, 2017 at 9:13pm

Even in the Northern hemisphere temperatures are abnormal. "Last Friday, the North Pole was 50F above normal as warm tropical air descended in the area above 80 latitude, the Arctic Circle."

Summer's not over yet.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/heatwaves-australia-to-the-north-pole_us_58a...

Quote:
The unintended consequences of pumping heat-trapping carbon dioxide into the atmosphere 10 times faster than the previous 66 million years are heatwaves.

Heatwaves in Australia are becoming hotter by 1.8 to 3.6F, longer from three days to more than six days and more frequent. All Australian capital cities, where the majority of the people live, are at risk from the increasing severity and intensity of heatwaves and catastrophic firestorms.

It’s not just the elderly, children and outdoor workers who are at immediate risk. The latest massive heatwave that spread across huge swathes of eastern Australia killed thousands of flying foxes. From Adelaide, South Australia, to North Coast, New South Wales, these exquisite pollinators and insectivores fell out of trees and perished from heat exhaustion.

According to my colleague Dr Sarah Perkins-Fitzpatrick at the University of New South Wales, Sydney: “Usually you would only get this kind of extreme heat if it was an El Nino summer. The most recent El Nino phenomenon ended in mid 2016.”

Man-made heat, infused into the oceans from climate-altering fossil fuels, has doubled since 1997. That’s the equivalent energy of detonating one atomic Hiroshima-style bomb every second for 75 straight years.

Last Friday, the North Pole was 50F above normal as warm tropical air descended in the area above 80 latitude, the Arctic Circle. It’s the third heatwave this winter. In the past, Arctic heatwaves have been recorded once or twice a decade. The Arctic was missing a staggering area of sea ice in January. It’s a record-breaking area, equivalent to roughly two times the size of France.

The exposed Arctic Ocean is pumping latent heat into the polar atmosphere, which in part, is affecting the polar jet stream as it is meandering farther south than normal. In December 2015, that wandering polar jet stream was implicated in torrential flooding in the UK, the worst on record.

This year, extreme weather brought floods and frost into Spain’s Murcia Region that supplies approximately 80 percent of certain types of produce to the UK during the winter. Fields of millions of lettuce, broccoli, zucchinis and eggplant were ruined. As a result, the UK experienced shortages on some supermarket shelves, causing the price of romaine lettuce to soar by 300 percent.

Meanwhile in the US, a strong Pacific jet stream dropping mega amounts of precipitation onto California and stressing its aging dams, i.e. Oroville, has also been shoving mild Pacific air down slope onto the Southern Rockies and eastward across the lower half of the nation. Over the weekend, temperatures in some parts of America resembled those of July rather than February. On Friday, Denver, Colorado: 80F, Saturday, Magnum, Oklahoma: 99F, and Sunday, Norfolk, Virginia: 82F.

Trees (including food-bearing trees and shrubs) from New Mexico to Virginia and southward to the Gulf of Mexico responded by flowering and leafing three weeks ahead of time. They are now at risk for frost damage, which could jeopardize the US fall food supply.

Heatwaves and other extreme weather as well as dying honeybees are a wake-up call for global food security.

It’s time to end all fossil fuel subsidies immediately and follow China’s $370 billion (USD) investment in creating 13 million new jobs in the renewable energy sector.

The only way to contend with the climate in crisis is to tackle it head on. Not to subsidize the biggest, wealthiest polluters to hasten the planet’s demise.

At the end of the day, it’s about survival and preventing our planet from becoming inhospitable. We require 80 percent renewable energies by 2030 and 100 percent by 2050.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #454 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 10:39am

Unforgiven wrote on Feb 16th, 2017 at 9:13pm:
Even in the Northern hemisphere temperatures are abnormal. "Last Friday, the North Pole was 50F above normal as warm tropical air descended in the area above 80 latitude, the Arctic Circle."

The whole of the Arctic? How did they measure that?  Was it above or below zero?

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #455 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 1:02pm

lee wrote on Feb 17th, 2017 at 10:39am:

The whole of the Arctic? How did they measure that?  Was it above or below zero?

oF?

IP Logged

TheFunPolice
Gold Member

Australian Politics

waggawagga
Reply #456 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 1:51pm

lee wrote on Feb 17th, 2017 at 10:39am:

You can't measure the whole of anything  Shocked That is why everything is related to a model: a ruler is a model!!

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #457 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 5:52pm

TheFunPolice wrote on Feb 17th, 2017 at 1:51pm:
That is why everything is related to a model: a ruler is a model!!

You are coming along nicely, but more work required.

A ruler is a model that behaves according to International Standards.

To what weather or climate International Standard must these models conform? Wink

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #458 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 9:23pm

The BOM is predicitng a hot Autumn with 65% chance of exceeding median maximums.

Quote:
Autumn weather: Australia set for continued hot temperatures after 'exceptional' start to 2017
Posted about 10 hours ago

Above-median maximum temperatures around Australia

Although autumn is on the way, the Bureau of Meteorology has warned the hot weather is likely to continue, with warmer than average temperatures forecast for most of southern and eastern Australia.

The BOM's climate outlook predicts a drier than average March and May for the southern two-thirds of Australia; a result of forecast higher than normal pressure off eastern and southern Australia.

All capital cities except for Darwin have at least a 65 per cent chance of exceeding the median maximum temperature.

Similarly, autumn minimum temperatures are likely to be warmer than average across most of the country, except for northern WA and northern NT.

The forecast came after three heatwaves in summer, which saw the highest monthly mean temperatures on record for Sydney and Brisbane, and the highest daytime temperatures on record for Canberra.

"The periods between the waves of extreme heat also saw above average temperatures over large areas of east and south-east Australia," the BOM said in a Special Climate Statement released earlier this week.

"It was the consistency of high temperatures more than the extreme temperatures themselves that made early 2017 an exceptional event.
"During these heatwaves, daily maximum temperatures across south-east Australia exceeded 40 degrees Celsius over very large areas and were typically 8 to 12C above the January and February averages.

"The highest temperatures recorded during this period were 48.2 C at Tarcoola, SA, followed by 47.9C at Walgett, NSW; these are new February high temperature records at both these sites.

"While the January 1939 south-east Australian heatwave remains one of the most significant in recorded history, the frequency of such intense large-scale heatwaves has increased across spring, summer and autumn, and especially over the last 20 years."

ACT Fire Rescue hoses down kids during heatwave
PHOTO: The first part of 2017 was defined weather-wise by a series of heatwaves. (Twitter: Jolene Laverty)
Even between heatwaves, the heat was out of the ordinary — not since the summer of 1938-39 has such a large area of NSW — more than one third of the state — recorded 50 or more days of 35 degrees Celsius or above during summer, BOM said.

Moree, in northern NSW, recorded 54 consecutive days of 35C or above — from 27 December 2016 to 18 February 2017. Mungindi measured 51 consecutive days.

Both sites exceeded the previous NSW record for the longest run of days over 35C.

Meanwhile in Queensland, 13 weather gauges broke records for their hottest February day, including St George on 46.8C, Birdsville on 47.1C and Amberley on 43C.

The heatwaves along the eastern coast also disrupted power stations, leaving thousands without power.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #459 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 9:30pm

Scorchio

IBI

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #460 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 9:58pm

I notice Moree has had 3 weather stations, 2 now closed. The last one open since 1995. I wonder about the step effect of those station changes.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #461 - Feb 24th, 2017 at 11:50pm

Gordon wrote on Feb 24th, 2017 at 9:30pm:
Scorchio

If only we could have some 19 to 27 degree days here with some rain. I really had it wrong about it going to be a wet summer. I look forward to Autumn. I have not had a cold winter for about 2 or 3 years. Last year was such a fortnight winter season, that I feel ripped off at the lack of rain this summer.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #462 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 12:44am

UnSubRocky wrote on Feb 24th, 2017 at 11:50pm:
I really had it wrong about it going to be a wet summer.

I predict deep fry for UnsubRocky from Autumn through to next Summer.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #463 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 10:38am

Stark County, Illinois, USA is. New record for February 24 by 8oF.:

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/20170224/stark-temps-match-all-time-high-for-winte...

Quote:
Stark County saw an all-time winter record high temperature today.

By Lori Monsewicz
CantonRep.com staff writer

Today marks the warmest winter day in Stark County history — at least since the National Weather Service began keeping records in 1887.

Around 4:30 p.m., the temperature at the Akron-Canton Airport reached 76 degrees, according to meteorologists in the weather service's Cleveland office.

Temperatures today soared above the February all-time high of 72 degrees — set in 2000 — and matched the winter (December through February) record, said Kirk Lombardy, weather service meteorologist.

Lombardy said Friday's temperature of 76 degrees matched the all-time high for the winter months of December through February when hit the same temperature on Dec. 3, 1982.

The prior record high for Friday's date (Feb. 24) was 68, set in 1961.

February is typically colder than December, which makes a temperature in the 70s all the more unusual.

"But it's not unheard of," the meteorologist said.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #464 - Feb 25th, 2017 at 10:39am

lee wrote on Feb 24th, 2017 at 9:58pm:
I notice Moree has had 3 weather stations, 2 now closed. The last one open since 1995. I wonder about the step effect of those station changes.

Perhaps they got crushed by one of denizen Bobby's mental icebergs.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 
Send Topic Print