Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 32
Send Topic Print
I'm not saying its hot, but .... (Read 45065 times)
lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: I'm not saying its hot, but ....
Reply #105 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 2:05pm

Unforgiven wrote on Oct 20th, 2016 at 12:06pm:
The National Weather Service said New York City experienced a record high of 85 degrees in Central Park on Wednesday. The previous record, set in 1928, was 82 degrees.

Interesting the difference a few days make.

On 12/10/1928 it was 86º.  Unforgiven wrote on Oct 20th, 2016 at 12:06pm:
On Sunday, the tiny community of Slapout, Okla., (population: 8) hit 102 degrees, making it the hottest temperature so late in the season for the entire state of Oklahoma, according to the Oklahoma Climate Survey.

Wow, Beat 1972 by 1º. Of course they have probably changed from analogue thermometers with an accuracy of +/- 0.5 degrees to those newfangled digital thermometers. But hey it's a new record. Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #106 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 5:53pm

The temperature chart with September 2016 value. It appears 2016 will be the hottest year on record. 2017 could be even hotter.

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #107 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 6:14pm

'According to that analysis, the year-to-date has been 1.27°C (2.3°F) above normal. '

http://www.climatecentral.org/news/hottest-months-global-warming-20797

Is that above normal/normal?

Above the new normal excluding the 1997 data that the global temperature was 62.45ºF, where 2015 was 58.62ºF? A 3.83ºF difference. Nope, the new normal difference is nowhere near 0.2ºF above 2015, much less 3.83ºF. Wink

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #108 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 6:50pm

lee wrote on Oct 20th, 2016 at 6:14pm:
'According to that analysis, the year-to-date has been 1.27°C (2.3°F) above normal. '

Above the new normal excluding the 1997 data that the global temperature was 62.45ºF, where 2015 was 58.62ºF? A 3.83ºF difference. Nope, the new normal difference is nowhere near 0.2ºF above 2015, much less 3.83ºF. Wink

More nonsense and misdirection from lee.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #109 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 7:23pm

Unforgiven wrote on Oct 20th, 2016 at 6:50pm:
lee wrote on Oct 20th, 2016 at 6:14pm:

More nonsense and misdirection from lee.

Oh, I thought you would recognise the data from NOAA. You mean we can't trust NOAA? But they were the ones, along with NASA, who told us 2015 was the hottest year evah.

Now everyone's confused. Wink

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #110 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 12:36pm

Wowee; 100oF in late Autumn. Could shatter 50 records.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/october-heat-wave-could-shatter-50-records-o...

Quote:
Record-breaking heat is expected to continue across the U.S. on Tuesday, sending temperatures into the 90s across the South and the low to mid-80s in the Northeast, meteorologists said.

The unseasonably warm weather shattered temperature records in 44 cities Monday, NBC News' Bill Karins reported, with Dodge City, Kansas hitting 100 degrees.

The heat wave will sweep the eastern half of the nation through Wednesday before a strong cold front brings some cooler weather on Friday, Karins said.

"[Tuesday and Wednesday] should be the highest numbers," said Weather Channel meteorologist Kevin Roth. "I would expect some 50 records or more set each day."

Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and New York could feel highs in the mid-80s, Roth predicted.

He added: "These are temperatures that would be more likely to be seen in late August or early September, rather than the middle of October."

https://thinkprogress.org/us-gets-odd-fall-heatwave-7f327a1971da#.o3idwyagv

Quote:
Hundreds of towns broke heat records this week. Thanks, climate change!
It’s like summer never left.

Fall officially started a month ago, but for much of the country this week felt like summer, with dozens of cities reporting record-breaking temperatures.

The unusually hot weather stretched through the Southwest and into the Northeast over the course of the week, even as drought conditions continued in various states and a wildfire in southern Colorado prompted mass evacuations.
On Monday alone, at least 99 heat records were broken across the country, NBC reported. In some areas this meant triple-digit temperatures. In the Oklahoma Panhandle, for instance, temperatures soared to 102 degrees, the highest ever recorded this late in the year.

As the warm trend continued through the week, temperatures in the Washington, D.C. area reached an unseasonable high of 87 degrees Wednesday. Birmingham, Alabama hit 91 on Wednesday, breaking the record of 88 set in 1938.
And by Thursday in the Southwest, parts of San Diego County saw temperatures going into the 90s, forcing the National Weather Service to issue a red flag warning for critical fire weather conditions.
Climate change is ruining fall

This October heat wave comes as drought conditions have been wreaking havoc in multiple states not usually associated with a lack of rain. In Maine, some 1.2 million people — almost the state’s entire population — now live in areas experiencing drought, the Portland Press Herald reported.

And in New Jersey, which also experienced unusual warm weather this week, officials are considering whether to issue a drought warning for dozens of counties. The last drought warning in New Jersey was in 2002.

The California drought that’s been pushing the state’s water resources to the brink is also ongoing, and the state’s winter is forecast to come up dry, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

The National National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicts a warm, dry winter for much of the country, according to the U.S. Winter Outlook published Thursday.

La Nina, a cooling of water in the equatorial Pacific, is expected to influence winter conditions this year. This will mean warmer-than-normal conditions expected across the entire southern United States, as well as the central Rockies, Hawaii, northern Alaska, and Maine.

Cooler conditions are likely from northern Montana to western Michigan, NOAA said.
As has been the case every year over the past few years,
2016 is on track to be one of the hottest years ever recorded
. Scientists have long said human-caused global warming is expected to increase the likelihood of heat waves worldwide, and contribute to more droughts, and other extreme weather events.
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2016 at 12:41pm by Unforgiven »  

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #111 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 12:39pm

Unforgiven wrote on Oct 23rd, 2016 at 12:36pm:
Wowee; 100oF in late Autumn. Could shatter 50 records.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/october-heat-wave-could-shatter-50-records-o...

Quote:
Record-breaking heat is expected to continue across the U.S. on Tuesday, sending temperatures into the 90s across the South and the low to mid-80s in the Northeast, meteorologists said.

The unseasonably warm weather shattered temperature records in 44 cities Monday, NBC News' Bill Karins reported, with Dodge City, Kansas hitting 100 degrees.

The heat wave will sweep the eastern half of the nation through Wednesday before a strong cold front brings some cooler weather on Friday, Karins said.

"[Tuesday and Wednesday] should be the highest numbers," said Weather Channel meteorologist Kevin Roth. "I would expect some 50 records or more set each day."

Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and New York could feel highs in the mid-80s, Roth predicted.

He added: "These are temperatures that would be more likely to be seen in late August or early September, rather than the middle of October."

Wow 11deg in late Oct this morning.

IBI

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #112 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 12:52pm

Well - I was out meteor watching last night and came in half frozen... been cold up here on the Mid North Coast.......... unseasonably cold overall, we've had 2-3 hot days.... and it's more than halfway through Spring.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #113 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 2:03pm

Agreed grappler. I can't remember cold weather persisting this long into spring.
But even more noticeable has been the almost incessant high winds in the last few months.
Traditionally here in the southern highlands we have had 2 regular periods of high winds - one round about March and the other round August.
But this year the bugger won't stop.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #114 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 3:44am

It has not been a hot spring for me. But the weather has been as expected for this time of year. I turned my hot water system off to save electricity. A fortnight later, I'm shivering through a cold night for Spring. I would not be surprised if a week later, we get a sweltering day of summer. Just have to wait for those northern hemisphere hurricanes to ping off.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #115 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 7:01pm

Heat waves are persisting in USA Autumn:

http://laist.com/2016/11/06/but_like_its_november.php

Quote:
Forget about the hoodies. Though Sunday and Monday will be temperate and comfortable November days, temperatures will rise above the 90 degree mark by Tuesday. The heat will stick around on Wednesday and Thursday, and will dissipate on Friday.

This comes on authority from the National Weather Service (NWS), which expects temperatures at its downtown L.A. to be unseasonably warm all throughout the upcoming week. Though high temperatures historically average about 74 degrees across L.A. by this point in the year, the NWS predicts the Tuesday's high temperature will be 87 degrees. On Wednesday, that number will rise to 90 degrees, dropping slightly to 88 degrees on Thursday. As always, folks in the Valleys and Inland Empire can expect slightly higher temperatures, and those closer to the coast slightly lower.

Though it will be warm throughout this week, conditions will generally be clear and otherwise pleasant. The NWS predicts that the temperature should settle back to about 80 degrees by Friday, in downtown. Weather next weekend will be beautiful, about 79 degrees and clear each day.

The good news is that this should be the last heat-wave we experience for a while. Examining AccuWeather's long-range forecast, temperatures throughout November will generally be in mid 70s. The bad news is that, unfortunately, rain is nowhere in the long-term forecast. While long-term forecasting generally becomes more unreliable the father into the future it goes, the month of November is predicted to be bone dry. The next rain will supposedly grace us on December 3.

Look, I'm an L.A. native, and am very used to hot and dry conditions late into the year. While friends from other parts of the country are complaining that it's 85 degrees in October—'it's un-natural!' they say—I take full advantage of the warmth to continue living my life outdoors whenever possible.

But, like, it's November! Usually by now it's cooled down at least to the low 70s, right?

The answer might be found in La Niña, El Niño's opposite that forces warm and dry high-pressure systems to hang out over Southern California instead of cool and rainy low-pressure systems. Of course, La Niña could also be a bust. Let's just blame climate change.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #116 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 7:21pm

Wow. It got to 100º in 1966 Wink.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #117 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 7:29pm

The stratospshere has shrunk from cooling due to greenhouse gases preventing heat radiated from earth's surface from warming the stratosphere.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/4274134/stratosphere-shrinks-as-record-breaki...

Quote:
Those warning of climate change impacts have been likened to Chicken Littles, scuttling around, warning the sky is falling.

That worry, it turns out, is based on fact too. Cooling in the stratosphere is causing it to shrink, lowering that layer by "a number of kilometres", NASA noted recently.

Our burning of fossil fuels and emissions of other greenhouse gases mean more of the earth's heat that would have been radiated back to space – warming the stratosphere on the way – is being trapped at lower levels of the atmosphere.

"It's like when you insulate your roof – your house warms but your attic will get a bit cooler," says Steven Sherwood, a climate scientist at the University of NSW. Those "attic" temperatures have cooled 2-3 degrees since the 1960s.

To be sure, the shrinking stratosphere is only partly climate-change related, with the emergence of ozone holes the other main factor. Still, "it's all about the human impact on the climate system", Professor Sherwood says.

That impact has lately been on full display as rising background temperatures – with an El Nino boost – drove 2014, 2015, and now 2016 to record-breaking warmth.

As the Bureau of Meteorology and the CSIRO stated recently, Australia can expect more severe heatwaves, extreme fire weather and intense rain events as the planet warms further.

Our coral reefs are particularly threatened, with widespread mortality of the northern Great Barrier Reef after a severe oceanic heatwave, seen as a sign of what's to come.

Last December, almost 200 nations decided to act to curb rising greenhouse gas emissions. The Paris climate agreement aims to keep global temperatures increases to no more than 2 degrees – or about 1 degree more than has already occurred in the past century...

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #118 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 9:18pm

Unforgiven wrote on Nov 7th, 2016 at 7:29pm:
The stratospshere has shrunk from cooling due to greenhouse gases preventing heat radiated from earth's surface from warming the stratosphere.

http://www.thecourier.com.au/story/4274134/stratosphere-shrinks-as-record-breaki...

Well that should make it easier to find the tropical tropospheric hotspot, that is supposed to warm 2 to 3 times the surface rate. Wink

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #119 - Nov 7th, 2016 at 9:42pm

Hot late Autumn weather for the United States would mean a late start to the monsoonal season here.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 32
Send Topic Print