Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The slow pace of gender equity (Read 15062 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

The slow pace of gender equity
Mar 7th, 2016 at 2:02pm

SMH:
Zelda D'Aprano is no stranger to campaigning for gender pay equity. In 1969 she famously chained herself to the doors of the Commonwealth Court of Arbitration in Melbourne's Spring Street to draw public attention to the cause.

Back then women received about 75 per cent of a man's salary for doing the same job. Fast forward almost five decades and women now earn on average 82 per cent of a man's pay. For Ms D'Aprano, progress has been frustrating. But its plodding pace is not surprising.

Equal pay activist Zelda D'Aprano chained to the front doors of the Commonwealth Building.
Equal pay activist Zelda D'Aprano chained to the front doors of the Commonwealth Building.

"I've watched it limp along for years," she said on Sunday before attending a Women's Rights at Work festival at Trades Hall ahead of International Women's Day on Tuesday.

Now 88, Ms D'Aprano has called on women seeking what she terms "pay justice" to "become far more militant" in their quest for equal pay – not least because she said it was tied to "women's struggle full stop."

The renowned unionist and women's activist pointed to the high-profile campaign for marriage equity, which she said women could emulate in their campaigning.

"I think the time has come for women to take more action into their own hands," she said. "I think women need to campaign for wage justice as a liveable wage."

Results of a pay inequity survey, released to Fairfax Media, indicate support for practical ways to further reduce the gender pay gap.

The survey found 70 per cent of respondents thought employers who paid women less than men for the same job should be fined. It also indicated support for allowing female employees to take legal action against employers who paid them less than a man doing the same job.

More than half supported compulsory internal publication of all salaries and more than two-thirds backed bringing the wages of "caring" jobs such as nursing and childcare in line with "tradies" wages.

However, paying women more superannuation than men was supported by just 27 per cent of people surveyed. The idea of giving all working women a "lump sum" to compensate for pay inequality was backed by 41 per cent of respondents.

Conducted online between February 24 and 28, the survey for Essential Research involved 1017 respondents.

Victorian Trades Hall Council industrial and campaigns officer Wilhelmina Stracke said the results showed there was still an appetite for change because there remained room for improvement.

"People understand that there is an employer responsibility and a government responsibly as well," she said. "We want all workers across all sectors regardless of gender to get a fair wage for the work they do, and we don't think that women get that at the moment."

The gender pay gap for full-time workers remains about 18 per cent, with women earning on average 82 per cent of a man's pay.

Ms Stracke said given the rate the gap was closing, it would take 150 to 160 years before women achieved equal pay.

"That's about six generations of women before we are looking at equal pay," she said.

A study released earlier this month by Curtin University researchers and the Workplace Gender Equality Agency found an average top-tier female manager earns $100,000 less a year than her male counterpart, with the gender pay gap widening the higher women climb.

It also found women in casual work can expect to earn a full-time equivalent salary of $5666 a year less than men.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: The slow pace of gender equity
Reply #1 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 2:18pm

If I had it my way women married to husbands in full-time work would only be allowed to do the occasional casual work.

For every married woman in the workforce who has a husband earning a full-time wage - there's some poor young single male or female who can't get a start in life because that vacancy is filled.

Destitution on the one hand - and greed on the other.

I would have an assets test for those couples who want both partners to be in the workplace while other couples and singles are out of a job.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 3:35pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Mar 7th, 2016 at 2:18pm:
If I had it my way women married to husbands in full-time work would only be allowed to do the occasional casual work.

What about the ones NOT actually married.  The trend these days is for couples to shack up, have kids, and so forth.  Wink

Quote:
For every married woman in the workforce who has a husband earning a full-time wage - there's some poor young single male or female who can't get a start in life because that vacancy is filled.

I had my "domestic help" (cleaner) here today.  She is about 38, Australian (ex Adelaide), educated, with 2 kids of 9 and 6.  Her husband works for the Public Service in a high profile position.  She does cleaning (at about $20/hour ... casual rate) after dropping her kids at school and until she has to pick them up again at 3pm.  She also takes School Holidays off ....

Quote:
Destitution on the one hand - and greed on the other.

Would you rather these women sit at home watching TV?  They are doing the right thing, once their children are at school .... they will no doubt go back to full time work once the kids are old enough. Do you see a problem with that?

Quote:
I would have an assets test for those couples who want both partners to be in the workplace while other couples and singles are out of a job.

The ATO already "tests" these people.  Wink

People who "can't find a job" aren't looking in the right places ... or are way too "precious".  As I have said, numerous times, IF you want to get a permanent job, get a casual one (perhaps even "below" you, you won't die from it), then when you apply for a decent position they will immediately see that you are willing to W.O.R.K. Answering
"I haven't had a job for xxxx years" just doesn't do it.  "I've been shovelling dirt" ... or "mowing grass" ... even if you are a University educated person .... I would have thought that working would be better than sitting around on the dole, typing out "applications" with the rider .... "I haven't got a job" .... 

Taxi driving pays quite well, I hear.  Wink

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2016 at 7:29pm

Neferti wrote on Mar 9th, 2016 at 3:35pm:
What about the ones NOT actually married.  The trend these days is for couples to shack up, have kids, and so forth. 

Same applies.

I had my "domestic help" (cleaner) here today.  She is about 38, Australian (ex Adelaide), educated, with 2 kids of 9 and 6.  Her husband works for the Public Service in a high profile position.  She does cleaning (at about $20/hour ... casual rate) after dropping her kids at school and until she has to pick them up again at 3pm.  She also takes School Holidays off ....

Exactly what I'm talking about.

Her work is a recreational occupation that is an unnecessary addition to her husband's salary. Somewhere out there in the suburbs is a single woman languishing on the dole and suffering from low self-esteem and a sense of despair because that job is no longer vacant. 

Would you rather these women sit at home watching TV?

Absolutely I would.

I'd have these women at home while their husbands are earning a full salary enough to cover living expenses. It's nearly always the case that these couples are middle aged and already own their own home.

It might be a game to these women to 'get out of the house' and 'do' something, but it means young singles are stranded on the dole and can't kick-start their life because of other's greed and need to 'occupy' themselves.

They are doing the right thing, once their children are at school .... they will no doubt go back to full time work once the kids are old enough. Do you see a problem with that?

In terms of distributing the job vacancies around to those who need them most - yes, I do see a problem in that.

People who "can't find a job" aren't looking in the right places ... or are way too "precious".

This old chestnut is Bullshit. As I go about my day I see a lot of (Anglo-Australian) young women in boring jobs that require them to be on their feet all day serving customers. They have the strength of character and the resolve to hang in there and do the work.

IP Logged

ih8pumpkin

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2016 at 2:07pm

Bloody Hell "Herb"

Its not 1960 mate... just about everyone has to work now just to get by.

You cant just make "blanket" statements about "women" or any other part of society.. every case is different.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #5 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 12:49pm

Naffy Wrote:
Quote:

They are called community care workers Naffy and they go into the homes of the aged to help out with ADLs-( Activities of daily living )- have more respect dear they suffer some horrible clients ( as you would know) work hard for not a lot of money.. they are not mere cleaners, they are Tertiary Trained to best help you , so call them domestics if you want- but you couldn't live with her I bet.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #6 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:01pm

Agnes wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 12:49pm:
Naffy Wrote:
Quote:

They are called community care workers Naffy and they go into the homes of the aged to help out with ADLs-( Activities of daily living )- have more respect dear they suffer some horrible clients ( as you would know) work hard for not a lot of money.. they are not mere cleaners, they are Tertiary Trained to best help you , so call them domestics if you want- but you couldn't live with her I bet.

MY Cleaner is not like what you do for a job. AG.

Donna works for a private organisation who sends domestic cleaners to homes ALL around Canberra to people who work in the PUBLIC SERVICE and can afford to have someone clean their house, once a week/fortnight. 

This has nothing to do with Aged Care, dear.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #7 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:06pm

Neferti wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:01pm:
Agnes wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 12:49pm:
Naffy Wrote:
Quote:

MY Cleaner is not like what you do for a job. AG.

Donna works for a private organisation who sends domestic cleaners to homes ALL around Canberra to people who work in the PUBLIC SERVICE and can afford to have someone clean their house, once a week/fortnight. 

This has nothing to do with Aged Care, dear.
  I don't do this for a job dear naffy- I have just completed my Aged Care qualification but doing a work placement has opened my eyes to what I DON'T want to do- suffer some horrible people who carry a grudge because they are elderly/old pp.. f@k that.  Don't assume as you always do,  that you know about pps lives by reading between the lines, you are always wrong..!  You don't work in the public service Naffy- you are retired pensioner, or have you forgotten you told us that? This poor woman is a carer and you would be her worst nightmare.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:20pm by Agnes »  

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #8 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:20pm

I am a SELF FUNDED RETIREE, AG. I earn too much to be able to get "community help". I pay for a PRIVATE CLEANER, as do many Public Servants who are still working.

It is a "service" for those who need work .... cleaning, lawn mowing, gardening, etcetera.  Some of us can afford to pay the "going rate" for these things.

Don't be jealous .... someone cleans my toilet and I pay them handsomely to keep my house in pristine order!

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #9 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:22pm

Neferti wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:20pm:
I am a SELF FUNDED RETIREE, AG. I earn too much to be able to get "community help". I pay for a PRIVATE CLEANER, as do many Public Servants who are still working.

It is a "service" for those who need work .... cleaning, lawn mowing, gardening, etcetera.  Some of us can afford to pay the "going rate" for these things.

Don't be jealous .... someone cleans my toilet and I pay them handsomely to keep my house in pristine order!

OK then dear post us a pic of your money bin lol- you sipping mylanta in your martini glass and your mandingo at your side.. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin  I smell Bullcrap- pics or its a lie dear  Wink  @20 an hr is not paying someone" handsomely " Naffy, and if there is any truth in that ...no wonder the Govt wants to cut Public Servants into non existence- blood suckers the lot of you.
« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:27pm by Agnes »  

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #10 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:54pm

Paying someone 50 bucks (per fortnight) to vacuum, dust, wipe down benches and flush the loo is NORMAL. I am NOT disabled ... I keep a neat and tidy house anyhow .... all the cleaner really does is the "floors". I get somebody else to do the windows .... mow the grass and so forth.

I am giving a person a JOB. Don't you approve of that? Some people want to be "domestics" because of the hours .... I treat them as friends, not employees ....

Domestics earn about the same as Checkout Chicks and Child Minders.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #11 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 3:32pm

Neferti wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 1:54pm:
Paying someone 50 bucks (per fortnight) to vacuum, dust, wipe down benches and flush the loo is NORMAL. I am NOT disabled ... I keep a neat and tidy house anyhow .... all the cleaner really does is the "floors". I get somebody else to do the windows .... mow the grass and so forth.

I am giving a person a JOB. Don't you approve of that? Some people want to be "domestics" because of the hours .... I treat them as friends, not employees ....

Your not disabled, and yet you get someone in to do your work for you  and you live on your own?, I wouldn't brag about that it just makes you look very  lazy , nothing more !  You and the truth are not exactly friends and I take anything you say with a pinch of salt..

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 7:35pm

So....

Quote:
someone cleans my toilet

....and that same someone....

Quote:
flush(es) the loo.

That is crap.  We have a cleaner and it drives me around the bend that The Indian Bride 'cleans for the cleaner.'  Who on Earth in their right mind would leave a dirty unflushed dunny for a cleaner to sort out!!!!!!

Rubbish.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 7:59pm

Agnes wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 3:32pm:

Your not disabled, and yet you get someone in to do your work for you  and you live on your own?, I wouldn't brag about that it just makes you look very  lazy , nothing more !  .

Say what?!    Undecided

What's wrong with paying people to do the stuff you don't want to do?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Mar 13th, 2016 at 8:12pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 7:59pm:
Agnes wrote on Mar 13th, 2016 at 3:32pm:

Your not disabled, and yet you get someone in to do your work for you  and you live on your own?, I wouldn't brag about that it just makes you look very  lazy , nothing more !  .

Say what?!    Undecided

What's wrong with paying people to do the stuff you don't want to do?

Nothing if you can afford it.  But.....who (with any sense of self) would leave a skid marked unflushed dunny for a cleaner to flush and clean?  Anyone?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print