Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Anxiety a terrible illness (Read 1470 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Anxiety a terrible illness
Feb 12th, 2016 at 6:44am

An academic, Dr Habib, was booked for the ABC 24 breakfast show to give his expert comment on Nth Korea.
Dr Habib suffers from chronic anxiety. For 3 days prior to the interview he barely slept and just became more anxious, even about travelling to the studio.
When they asked him the first question he just froze, sweated and became disoriented as the seconds ticked away. Tripoli and her sidekick tried to coax him out of it but finally he just stammered "I can't do this" and they threw to the next segment.

Dr Habib bravely describes the experience in today's SMH.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Re: Anxiety a terrible illness
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 6:49am

Just to add, if you are not a person with experience in such things, you can never know what the person next to you might be going through. Especially in theworld as it is today.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 7:00am

We've all had the flu gastro virus here.

I can assure you, that is a terrible illness also.

Thank God for bleach.

Sad

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 7:02am

bogarde73 wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 6:44am:
An academic, Dr Habib, was booked for the ABC 24 breakfast show to give his expert comment on Nth Korea.
Dr Habib suffers from chronic anxiety. For 3 days prior to the interview he barely slept and just became more anxious, even about travelling to the studio.
When they asked him the first question he just froze, sweated and became disoriented as the seconds ticked away. Tripoli and her sidekick tried to coax him out of it but finally he just stammered "I can't do this" and they threw to the next segment.

There's a smorgasbord of medication and therapy options for this sort of thing.

As a doctor and academic, you'd think he would be aware of AND avail himself of them.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 8:12am

He should have smoked a joint.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:03am

I use a form of NLP with the horses.
you really expose them to something that causes anxiety (say a plastic bag on the end of a stick) and you keep flapping it until they stop moving and then you cease.
then you rub on them.
So you take away the stimulus when they stop reacting.

This is the exact opposite of what many newbies do.
They are riding and the horses gets anxious, starts jigging , throwing its head around, trembling.

they immediately try to comfort the animal.

ie.  they reward the behaviour (which just makes it more likely to occur).

my wife was used to get panic attacks.
you cant talk someone out of a panic attack (same as you cant tell a horse  Woo, good boy, its alright, when it is spooking).

You have to extinguish the behaviour before it occurs.

the wife used the same technique as the plastic bag technique to beat it.

she would imagine a scarey scenario , (flying mainly for her). she would let the anxiety arise (the equivalent of me flapping the bag) , then she would concentrate on the breathing and learn how to "bring herself down"

she did this over and over,  inducing anxiety and then self calming.

this is exactly what you do with a horse.
induce anxiety and the stimulus is not removed til the horse 'self clams, stops moving and stands still with its head down and looks sleepy"

NLP works.

you dont want to be having a panic attack at 30,000 feet and no ammount of someone else talking will help you.

Like the horse, you are only safe when you learn the patterns to help yourself.

Habits become behaviours  Wink

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:19am

... wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 8:12am:
He should have smoked a joint.

Exactly. Nothing a little weed can't fix.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

athos
Gold Member

Re-educate barbarians

Hong Kong
Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:35am

The main reason for anxiety and depression is a fear.
In materialistic society the main reason for fear is to loose job or material possessions that are often accumulated only for the purpose of social status.
In today's competitive dehumanized Social Darwinistic world people became like hypnotized zombies who buy things the don't need for money they don't have seduced by poisoned fruits of materialism.
When at the moment they woke up they feel frightened of loosing all that shiiit around them.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2016 at 11:30am by athos »  

Do we need to be always politically correct.
In the world of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:41am

Well I don't know. I think anxiety & depression can spring from a number of factors (including, my dear Marla, prolonged use of maryjane), maybe genetic, brain chemistry or environmental including child rearing & traumatic stress, or a combination of these.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:46am

athos wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:35am:

In materialistic society the main reason for fear is to loose job or material possessions that are often accumulated without only for purpose of social status.
In today's competitive dehumanized Social Darwinistic world people became like hypnotized zombies who by things the don't need for money they don't have seduced by poisoned fruits of materialism.
When at the moment they woke up they feel frightened of loosing all that shiiit around them.

The main reason for anxiety (fear) can be depression or any situation which produces fear, which in the case of a soldier can be the battlefield. In the case of a business owner, can be depression due to the pressures of finances, late payment, cash-flow, overdraft etc

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

athos
Gold Member

Re-educate barbarians

Hong Kong
Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:53am

Fuzzball wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:46am:

In materialistic society the main reason for fear is to loose job or material possessions that are often accumulated without only for purpose of social status.
In today's competitive dehumanized Social Darwinistic world people became like hypnotized zombies who by things the don't need for money they don't have seduced by poisoned fruits of materialism.

The main reason for anxiety (fear) can be depression or any situation which produces fear, which in the case of a soldier can be the battlefield. In the case of a business owner, can be depression due to the pressures of finances, late payment, cash-flow, overdraft etc

Here is an American general collapses from anxiety of fear of punishment for killing innocent people around the world.

Do we need to be always politically correct.
In the world of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 10:01am

bogarde73 wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:41am:
...prolonged use of maryjane...

Dude, how old are you? No one uses that term anymore.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 10:11am

Lisa Jones wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 7:02am:

There's a smorgasbord of medication and therapy options for this sort of thing.

As a doctor and academic, you'd think he would be aware of AND avail himself of them.

The major 'crime' of our age and of our 'progressive', modern culture,
....always choosing to deal with symptoms [of any 'ailment'],
....always seeking to appease,
....always seeking to pander, to what we should NOT pander to.

Instead of addressing the underlying causes of incompetence and human corruption.

Dictionary;
palliative = = relieving pain or alleviating a problem without dealing with the cause.

No ?

Proverbs 28:1
The wicked flee when no man pursueth: but the righteous are bold as a lion.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 10:20am

Marla wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 10:01am:
bogarde73 wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:41am:
...prolonged use of maryjane...

Dude, how old are you? No one uses that term anymore.

My mind is as old as the wind, my body does not compute age and my spirit is as young as a sapling in Spring.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 10:40am

You have perfectly described the Ego, which is the source of all suffering.
Ego death will lead you to enlightenment.
Dont forget though that it is not just "material things " which are false gods.
Attachment to ideas , to our "thoughts" also strengthens the ego.

The ego can be strengthened by attachment to a "pain body".

So someone who is angry, someone who is fearful, someone who is anxious , someone who is a victim can use the emotions surrounded these "feelings' to grow their ego.

Letting go of all these attachments leads to happiness.

The suffering of a green senator who lectures people in the media about topics she is passionate about .  is strengthening her ego , in the same destructive way that a rich man who must have the latest Rolex is strengthening his ego.  Its all the same thing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print