Sydney -v- Melbourne (Read 18397 times)
Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Sydney -v- Melbourne
Feb 8th, 2016 at 11:32am

Move over Sydney, it’s Melbourne’s time to shine on the real estate stage

Quote:
OLD rivalries die hard and here’s a race that Melbourne is winning over Sydney. But before struggling househunters get too excited about prices plummeting in the harbour city, let’s take a look at the facts.

Property prices in the two capitals are still rising, but Sydney has just taken a back seat to Melbourne’s price growth — even if it’s ever so slightly.

According to the January 2016 CoreLogic RP Data Hedonic Home Value Index, released today, the Melbourne market has taken first place for annual growth.

While Melbourne’s dwelling values (that’s houses and units combined) were up 11 per cent over the year, Sydney’s movement was a slightly less impressive 10.5 per cent rise.

But the harbour city still takes the cake for actual ticket prices. Sydney’s median dwelling price is now sitting at $776,000, while Melbourne’s figure is a more humble $595,000.

“While still a high rate of annual growth, Sydney’s annual rate of capital gain is now at a 29-month low and has been progressively softening since peaking at 18.4 per cent in July last year,” said Tim Lawless, CoreLogic’s head of research.

“Melbourne’s housing market has been more resilient to slowing growth conditions, which has propelled the annual growth rate to the highest of any capital city, with dwelling values 11 per cent higher over the past 12 months.

“Previously, during the height of the growth phase, there was a large separation between Sydney’s housing market (which was streaking ahead) and Melbourne’s, where the rate of capital gain was substantial, but still well below the heights being recorded in Sydney.”

http://www.realestate.com.au/news/move-over-sydney-its-melbournes-time-to-shine-...

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: Sydney -v- Melbourne
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 10:21pm

Although originally a Sydney person (lived from Mt Druitt to Kirribilli), I did spend 7 years in Melbourne.

Both are 'the same s**t, different smell'

Sydney - the crime is at the poor end of society. Go down an alleyway and you have junkies, bums, violence.

Melbourne - the crime is at the rich end of society. Go down an alleyway and you have café-latte, boutiques and hipsters.

Sydney is more involved in the International scene
Melbourne is more involved in its own scene.
This can be reflected in its football codes where NRL was based upon the 'Tour to Britain' Tests and AFL was based on two suburbs having it out.

Melbourne has a greater population than Sydney now.
More affordable for the poor, but Sydney is making more money for the rich.

Melbourne is better planed than Sydney and it shows with its public transport.

Sydney? Well, it has one of the most pathetic infrastructures in the country. But that's how people get rich in Sydney - tolls, fines, fees and other scams.

Sydney has a boring Football code with small crowds but its Entertainment venues are packed and popular. The popularity of the floating Entertainment 'Cruises' originally kickstarted out of Sydney.

Melbourne football gets the biggest crowds - but you can hear the crickets at their entertainment venues.  Grin

All in all,
both are 'cities' and lets face it.
In Australia ...its all about the 'Rural/Country' life that is more 'Australian'.
If you think City life is 'Aussie As' - then you're as USA/UK as it gets  Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:15pm

Melbourne is a cesspool -

it's like a swimming pool that you just keep putting more chlorine into.

I never go to the city - it's dirty, over priced & there's no parking -
you have to travel there in crowded standing room only trains
with people sneezing, coughing & farting on you.

IP Logged

Sir lastnail
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:18pm

Neferti wrote on Feb 8th, 2016 at 11:32am:
Move over Sydney, it’s Melbourne’s time to shine on the real estate stage

Quote:
OLD rivalries die hard and here’s a race that Melbourne is winning over Sydney. But before struggling househunters get too excited about prices plummeting in the harbour city, let’s take a look at the facts.

Property prices in the two capitals are still rising, but Sydney has just taken a back seat to Melbourne’s price growth — even if it’s ever so slightly.

According to the January 2016 CoreLogic RP Data Hedonic Home Value Index, released today, the Melbourne market has taken first place for annual growth.

While Melbourne’s dwelling values (that’s houses and units combined) were up 11 per cent over the year, Sydney’s movement was a slightly less impressive 10.5 per cent rise.

But the harbour city still takes the cake for actual ticket prices. Sydney’s median dwelling price is now sitting at $776,000, while Melbourne’s figure is a more humble $595,000.

“While still a high rate of annual growth, Sydney’s annual rate of capital gain is now at a 29-month low and has been progressively softening since peaking at 18.4 per cent in July last year,” said Tim Lawless, CoreLogic’s head of research.

“Melbourne’s housing market has been more resilient to slowing growth conditions, which has propelled the annual growth rate to the highest of any capital city, with dwelling values 11 per cent higher over the past 12 months.

“Previously, during the height of the growth phase, there was a large separation between Sydney’s housing market (which was streaking ahead) and Melbourne’s, where the rate of capital gain was substantial, but still well below the heights being recorded in Sydney.”

http://www.realestate.com.au/news/move-over-sydney-its-melbournes-time-to-shine-...

Shine my arse. Just more suckers going into lifelong debt just to line the pockets of some realestate parasite scumbag.

In August 2021, Newcastle Coroner Karen Dilks recorded that Lisa Shaw had died “due to complications of an AstraZeneca COVID vaccination”.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:37pm

Hi sir Nail,
we both took the wrong career path -

we should have been real estate agents.

We'd be multi millionaires by now.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:37pm

Now I thought 'true Australia' was the 'Rural' (or even 'country') aspect of living.

But since the 80's - the 'City' living has come to overtake (usurp?) the Rural Australia.
Was it because of the Media?
So basically - yes, 'every' City in Australia is a cesspit of real estate greed and other lost causes.

Live in a city and you are an absolute loser!

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #6 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:40pm

Jasin wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:37pm:
Now I thought 'true Australia' was the 'Rural' (or even 'country') aspect of living.

But since the 80's - the 'City' living has come to overtake (usurp?) the Rural Australia.
Was it because of the Media?
So basically - yes, 'every' City in Australia is a cesspit of real estate greed and other lost causes.

Live in a city and you are an absolute loser!

Yes - I'm seriously considering selling my house & moving to the country.

Perhaps somewhere in land from Geelong.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:45pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:37pm:
Hi sir Nail,
we both took the wrong career path -

we should have been real estate agents.

We'd be multi millionaires by now.
I can absolutely see that. You have both been predicting property crashes for many years and property prices have kept rising.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:47pm

Yes - I like the outer region around Geelong (Go the Cats!).
I prefer Queenscliff area.
But the whole area out from Geelong is pretty nice and 'stress free' as I would call it.
It would be my choice if I had to live 'near' the Melbourne muckhole.

I much prefer far Gippsland though, for Victoria.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #9 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:52pm

Jasin wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:47pm:
Yes - I like the outer region around Geelong (Go the Cats!).
I prefer Queenscliff area.
But the whole area out from Geelong is pretty nice and 'stress free' as I would call it.
It would be my choice if I had to live 'near' the Melbourne muckhole.

I much prefer far Gippsland though, for Victoria.

Its' a well kept secret - some of the best farmland in Victoria
is close by Geelong - it gets good rainfall to make the grass grow.

Gippsland is better now that Hazelwood has closed down.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #10 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:54pm

Melbourne is a horrid place.

IBI

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:55pm

Gordon wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:54pm:

Yes can you imagine being on a train
with people sneezing, coughing & farting on you?

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #12 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 11:01pm

Bobby. wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:55pm:
Gordon wrote on Jul 18th, 2017 at 10:54pm:

Yes can you imagine being on a train
with people sneezing, coughing & farting on you?

No, sounds ghastly.  When I go to the CBD I catch the ferry and breath the salt air.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 11:05pm

Melbourne had some plus's for someone coming from Shitney.
I liked it when they had Conductors: very helpful, quasi Tourism guides. They got rid of them the following year after I arrived.
I paid a Botswanan chick $1000 for some dreadlocks.
Only to have to shave them off from catching NITS on a Tram (because people are 'back to back' on seats) one month later.

Overall, Melbourne is really just like Sydney is just like Melbourne is just like Sydney, etc, etc.
- really bad places to live, wether you are rich or poor.

I can tell you - Sydney has gotten far far worse since 2000.
It really is a crime against humanity.

I now live on a nice NSW coastal area.
But it too works hard to keep the Real Estates from 'cashing in' on turning it into another 'city' with high rise apartments and a main street full of café latte's and boutique shops selling useless bullcrap.

I might head further away come next year.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Jul 18th, 2017 at 11:10pm

Nits from a tram ride - yuck.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print