Send Topic Print
Self defence (Read 11393 times)
Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Self defence
Feb 7th, 2016 at 12:09pm

Why is it a crime in Australia to possess any thing for the purpose of self defence?
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2016 at 1:53pm by Sir Eoin O Fada »  

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Re: Self defence
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 12:16pm

Sir Eoin O Fada wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 12:09pm:
Why is it an crime in Australia to possess any thing for the purpose of self defence?

Because of the Bible:

Luke 6:29   KJV

[27] But I say unto you which hear, Love your enemies, do good to them which hate you,

[28] Bless them that curse you, and pray for them which despitefully use you.

[29] And unto him that smiteth thee on the one cheek offer also the other;
    and him that taketh away thy cloke forbid not to take thy coat also.

[30] Give to every man that asketh of thee; and of him that taketh away thy goods ask them not again.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 1:13pm

Why is it an crime in Australia to possess any thing for the purpose of self defence?

Because as an Australian citizen, circa 2016, you and i are not a free man/woman, you and i, do not have the right and freedoms of a free man/woman.

Because in the type of democratic governments [so called], that modern world 'democratic' governments have morphed into/become,         .....those governing authorities have decided reserve for themselves [alone] and for their subject servants [alone], the prerogative to use any form of violence, to harm others.

In a modern [so called] democratic state today, it is not lawful for any citizen to have the effective means to direct effective violence against another person.

Even Especially! because such recourse to violence could be employed against a tyrannical regime, OR, against the government and its agents/servants.

Democracy = = [ideally] the government of the people, by the people [i.e. 'the people' always retain the ultimate the authority of form and constitute a governing body].

Modern style of 'Democracy' = = the government of the people, by elected officials [where the effective faux rights of 'citizens' have been neutered, by government regulation or laws].

The government, its executive, and its servants are those who have been given/gifted all effective authority of our society.

Quote:

"Right is only in question between equals, and while the strong do what they can, the weak suffer what they must."

- Thucydides (460-400 B.C.) Greek Historian

The government is strong.

You are weak.

Suck it up.

Google;
no free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms

Google;
a free men retain the right to remove, abolish a tyranny

Google;
free men retain the right to overthrow, abolish a tyranny

Quote:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

- Declaration of Independence (1776).
http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/

The Right to Alter or Abolish the Government:
God Makes Nations, Men Make Governments
by Gerald R. Thompson

http://lonang.com/commentaries/foundation/right-to-alter-or-abolish-government/

GOVERNMENT IS THE MERE AGENT OF THE PEOPLE
http://lonang.com/commentaries/foundation/f46b/

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 1:58pm

If you could prove to the police that you were receiving death threats then
you should be allowed to carry a firearm & receive training in it's use.

Unfortunately if  someone is after you then you're a sitting duck.

The law won't help you - proof:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Terrence_and_Christine_Hodson

Quote:
Murders of Terrence and Christine Hodson
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Terrence and Christine Hodson were murdered on May 16, 2004.

In 2004 the murders of Terrence and Christine Hodson were linked to the Melbourne Gangland murders.[1][2] Terrence Hodson had recently agreed to be a police informant, following an arrest for a robbery where his colleagues were suspected to have been two off-duty police officers. The Age reported that a secret document describing him as an informant was circulated around the Melbourne underworld shortly before the murders.

The pair were murdered on May 16, 2004, in what The Age described as "'horrific' gangland murders".[1][2] Christine Hodson is believed to have had no involvement in crime.

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 1:58pm

Self defence is a right recognized by all Australian Governments it's only the means that are restricted.
Is it unlawful to possess any thing for the purpose of self defence against non-human animals?

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 2:34pm

In the case of Terrence and Christine Hodson they shouldn't
have become informants without being given the means to defend themselves.

They were just stupid criminals although the woman -
Christine - was innocent & just a gangsters mole.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 4:55pm

Yadda wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 1:13pm:

Because as an Australian citizen, circa 2016, you and i are not a free man/woman, you and i, do not have the right and freedoms of a free man/woman.

Because in the type of democratic governments [so called], that modern world 'democratic' governments have morphed into/become,         .....those governing authorities have decided reserve for themselves [alone] and for their subject servants [alone], the prerogative to use any form of violence, to harm others.

In a modern [so called] democratic state today, it is not lawful for any citizen to have the effective means to direct effective violence against another person.

Even Especially! because such recourse to violence could be employed against a tyrannical regime, OR, against the government and its agents/servants.

Democracy = = [ideally] the government of the people, by the people [i.e. 'the people' always retain the ultimate the authority of form and constitute a governing body].

Modern style of 'Democracy' = = the government of the people, by elected officials [where the effective faux rights of 'citizens' have been neutered, by government regulation or laws].

The government, its executive, and its servants are those who have been given/gifted all effective authority of our society.

Quote:

"Right is only in question between equals, and while the strong do what they can, the weak suffer what they must."

- Thucydides (460-400 B.C.) Greek Historian

The government is strong.

You are weak.

Suck it up.

Google;
no free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms

Google;
a free men retain the right to remove, abolish a tyranny

Google;
free men retain the right to overthrow, abolish a tyranny

Quote:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

- Declaration of Independence (1776).
http://www.ushistory.org/declaration/document/

The Right to Alter or Abolish the Government:
God Makes Nations, Men Make Governments
by Gerald R. Thompson

http://lonang.com/commentaries/foundation/right-to-alter-or-abolish-government/

GOVERNMENT IS THE MERE AGENT OF THE PEOPLE
http://lonang.com/commentaries/foundation/f46b/

Is it then time to cast off the old, & bring in the new?

Without the means to self-defense, much less to offer up a decent offense, how are we to do this???

The American Revolutionists had the means at least, they had firearms, & refused to turn them over to the low life slimy poms, who knew that those firearms were the only things between the King's total control & Bloody Revolution......or better said, a Free People!!

We have nothing, just a few old thunder-sticks. Only the government has real guns to keep us in our place, so we just have the equivalent of sticks & stones, which may break some of their bones, but their guns will friggin' kill us very, very dead!

Hell, I'll take my chances with government at a ballot box, all I want to do is be able to defend me & my family from those the government & police can't defend me from.....which are almost all the criminals on the street, who can defend themselves against me because they don't obey the law!!! 

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 4:58pm

Panther wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 4:55pm:

Without the means to self-defense, much less to offer up a decent offense, how are we to do this.

The American Revolutionists had the means at least, they had firearms, & refused to turn them over to the low life slimy poms, who knew that those firearms were the only things between the King's total control & Bloody Revolution......or better said, a Free People!!

We have nothing, just a few old thunder-sticks. Only the government has real guns to keep us in our place, so we just have the equivalent of sticks & stones, which may break some of their bones, but their guns will friggin' kill us very, very dead!

But the Yanks have guns & their cities are war zones.
33,000 people are killed by guns every year in the USA -
11 times more than the 911 attacks.

We don't want to be like them.

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 5:17pm

Is it unlawful to possess any thing for the purpose of self defence against non-human animals?

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #9 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 5:20pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 4:58pm:
Panther wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 4:55pm:

Without the means to self-defense, much less to offer up a decent offense, how are we to do this.

But the Yanks have guns & their cities are war zones.
33,000 people are killed by guns every year in the USA -
11 times more than the 911 attacks.

We don't want to be like them.

We are less than 10% of their population, so say our numbers were about 2,500 a year from all causes including suicide, & criminal upon criminal. Hey, Australians are more level headed & caring of their fellow beings than Americans right?  So our numbers should be way lower that that, right? How many Australians are killed by firearms, knives, blunt objects, etc.... for all reasons today?

With all due respect, not knowing the facts first hand, you are wrong.......but I won't even try to "enlighten" you.....we just want a fair go.

........but I will say, just for one thing, over 60+% of all firearm homicides in the US are self-inflicted ....... an act of suicide.....death by their own hand. A crime yes, but not by one human being upon a non-deserving other human being.

Firearms are used in self-defense, to defend life without injury to anyone, somewhere about  2 million times a year in America.....which way exceeds the lives taken using firearms by all means by many, many times. Without firearms for defense, how many of those lives would be needlessly lost rather than saved......how many of those lives are acceptable to you?

All we here in Australia deserve is a fair go.....not complete subjugation to government, who can't & won't defend us.

« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2016 at 5:45pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 5:50pm

Learn something it keeps you fit too.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 6:12pm

Ajax wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 5:50pm:

Nice, but...... What about 90% of our population that can't find it within themselves to pummel another Ice Charged up human being into leaving them alone, much less into submission? It also put's the victim into harms way....hand to hand, but with a gun in hand the once helpless victim probably causes the same stalker, mugger, robber, coward puncher to run with their tails tucked between their legs....no shots even fired!

I can see Grecco Roman, Judo, etc.... good for 5 to 10% of the population though.

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 6:38pm

I'm afraid that some legal opinion sees possessing a knowledge of martial arts as the possession of a 'thing' and thus illegal if learnt with the intention of self defence.

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #13 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 7:25pm

Sir Eoin O Fada wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 5:17pm:

Eugene,

You have asked that Q. at least three times....

And i can tell you that it is NOT lawful to 'destroy' a brown snake [e.g. Dugite] with a firearm.

Why so ?

Because, even though if the brown snake [e.g. Dugite] bites you, you can die, the brown snake [e.g. Dugite] is a protected native animal.

If you have a poisonous snake on your property, out of town, you are supposed to call a snake wrangler.     [....me ?,       ....if i find a poisonous snake outside my back door, i just kill it!     .....addendum; very carefully]

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 9:00pm

We don't have any wild lions here in Australia so
what are you talking about?

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #15 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 10:50pm

Panther wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 6:12pm:

Nice, but...... What about 90% of our population that can't find it within themselves to pummel another Ice Charged up human being into leaving them alone, much less into submission? It also put's the victim into harms way....hand to hand, but with a gun in hand the once helpless victim probably causes the same stalker, mugger, robber, coward puncher to run with their tails tucked between their legs....no shots even fired!

I can see Grecco Roman, Judo, etc.... good for 5 to 10% of the population though.
grow some freaking balls and stop hiding behind your curtains.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 3:30pm

Bobby. wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 1:58pm:

You are not allowed to have a gun for self defence in Australia, you can't even have mace, pepper sprays,knives,batons,tasers,etc.

As Ajax pointed out if you don't have a dodgey,hip,shoulder,knee,etc you can take up MMA and hope the younger fitter attackers have not done any MMA training.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #17 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 7:02pm

Yadda,

I've asked it three times and have yet to get an answer.

Sir Bobby,

No, but we have dogs, pigs, billy goats, scrub bulls, aggressive camels and magpies.

So I'll tell you, so that you may understand the stupidity of Australian law.

It is illegal to carry an umbrella for the purpose of protection against nesting magpies, it's OK to have an umbrella and to unfurl it as protection against a nesting magpie, but one commits an offence if one goes out with the intention of self defence.

It is quite legal for a farmer to hunt pigs but it is illegal for him to go out fencing and take a rifle with him for the purpose of self defence against a boar/scrub bull etc.

Ain't that a stupid law?

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Feb 11th, 2016 at 12:21pm

No, it isn't.  It is a law which determines the purpose that a tool can be used for.  You use the Umbrella to protect you from the elements or nature, that is OK, you use the Umbrella to attack other humans, that is not OK.  Simples, really for everybody except a dunce!   Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #19 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 8:08am

|dev|null wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 12:21pm:
No, it isn't.  It is a law which determines the purpose that a tool can be used for.  You use the Umbrella to protect you from the elements or nature, that is OK, you use the Umbrella to attack other humans, that is not OK.  Simples, really for everybody except a dunce!   Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Wrong, it is illegal in Australia to possess anything for the purpose of self protection.
If you possess oven cleaner in a spray can, in the kitchen, to clean the oven, that's OK, but if you have it in the bedroom for protection against a thief that breaks in then an offence has been committed, ditto insect spray but that can be kept in the bed room without indicating illegal intent.

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #20 - Feb 13th, 2016 at 12:07am

I have given a lot of thought to the idea of the human right of self defense being illegal.
Do not resist, take your beat down like a true victim. If you require medical attention tell them you are clumsy and fell down.
Live your life as best you can and hope the next time it happens you again recover.
Vote for politicians who promise to get tough on crime but never do anything after they get elected.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #21 - Feb 14th, 2016 at 6:30pm

ian wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 10:50pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5tAaG1xPe  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeFvEvuum3  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-bSAmXgx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLkXZOvSGI

A well trained, armed citizen never needs to hide behind curtains. I prefer my methods for me, & you can use anything you prefer. Wink

I'm comfortable wherever I am, & while the police are busy defending the defenseless elsewhere, I'm always comfortable wherever I am, knowing I don't rely on them for protection.  Wink

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2016 at 6:50pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Feb 14th, 2016 at 8:08pm

Panther wrote on Feb 14th, 2016 at 6:30pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5tAaG1xPe  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeFvEvuum3  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_W-bSAmXgx https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLkXZOvSGI

A well trained, armed citizen never needs to hide behind curtains. I prefer my methods for me, & you can use anything you prefer. Wink

I'm comfortable wherever I am, & while the police are busy defending the defenseless elsewhere, I'm always comfortable wherever I am, knowing I don't rely on them for protection.  Wink

Comfortable people dont feel the urge to post all the time about how they need guns for self defence. Constantly feeling fearful of attack isnt comfortable. Im pretty sure you are not understanding the meaning of the word "comfortable". In fact you are exactly the type of high strung , fearful, nervous person who should be kept as far away form firearms as possible.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #23 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 1:53am

Let me put this in the perspective of your government.

Any one person is not important.

If the victim is a family man and doesn't fight back and dies someone else will eventually live in his home, sleep with his wife and raise his kids No loss to the government.

If a woman is beaten and raped but survives, no harm done. You can't wear those things out or break them. The trauma caused by her injury just creates job security in the Mental Health Industry.

If a child is taken and never seen again there are plenty of children, one more or less will not be missed.

Don't fight back, it may be a natural right of all living things but it is against the law!

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #24 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 6:54am

Baronvonrort wrote on Feb 8th, 2016 at 3:30pm:
Bobby. wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 1:58pm:

You are not allowed to have a gun for self defence in Australia, you can't even have mace, pepper sprays,knives,batons,tasers,etc.

As Ajax pointed out if you don't have a dodgey,hip,shoulder,knee,etc you can take up MMA and hope the younger fitter attackers have not done any MMA training.

If you're an expert at martial arts & you kill an attacker with it
then it's classed the same as someone with a weapon.

You are allowed to defend yourself with "reasonable" force.

The definition of "reasonable" is decided by a judge or jury.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #25 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 11:54am

ian wrote on Feb 14th, 2016 at 8:08pm:
Panther wrote on Feb 14th, 2016 at 6:30pm:

Comfortable people dont feel the urge to post all the time about how they need guns for self defence. Constantly feeling fearful of attack isnt comfortable. Im pretty sure you are not understanding the meaning of the word "comfortable". In fact you are exactly the type of high strung , fearful, nervous person who should be kept as far away form firearms as possible.

Now, now.....I will accept your imaginary portraits to an extent, but lying about me personally is not acceptable Ian.....lets stick to the facts & discussing the issues.

I never said I was fearful of being attacked, at best I may have said I believe in being prepared in the event of attack, that I believe Australians can't depend on the police or the government to protect them simply because they can't, so we all should be responsible for our own means of self-defense, & if that be a firearm....so be it, but understand I never used your portrayed analogy.

I never said I need a firearm for self-defense, but I may have said I prefer a firearm for myself, that's my choice, & I believe that my fellow Australians should have the choice of using a firearm to defend their own life, or the lives of their family or friends,  if that be their choice.

Now, my desire to post in these regards is because I want to, not because I have some irrational need to.

If I desire to carry a firearm for self-defense, it's not because of fear, it's because I want to....it's my choice. Whether I do or not is my business, & I am aware of the ramifications if I do. 

Need &/or fear is not any part of the equation......regardless of how much you may need/want/or imagine them to be.

Now.....the record on these matters have been set down clearly & concisely, & they should be crystal clear.

I respect your right to speak your mind Ian, & will defend that right if ever called upon to do so, but I respectfully request you cease from the unfounded hyperbole, & base your assertions based on the record I've provided here, & not by false accusations based upon an overactive imagination.

I personally hold you no ill will, I would hope you feel the same towards me.

I enjoy discussing issues on facts, without having to respond to continual personal snipes, especially when they have no basis in fact.

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 11:54am

Mortdooley wrote on Feb 15th, 2016 at 1:53am:

If the victim is a family man and doesn't fight back and dies someone else will eventually live in his home, sleep with his wife and raise his kids No loss to the government.

If a woman is beaten and raped but survives, no harm done. You can't wear those things out or break them. The trauma caused by her injury just creates job security in the Mental Health Industry.

If a child is taken and never seen again there are plenty of children, one more or less will not be missed.

Don't fight back, it may be a natural right of all living things but it is against the law!

what a  bizarre perspective,. You think a firearm is the only thing in this world which can be used for self defense? Really? You seem to have come to rely so much on your guns you would be completely lost and powerless without it, thats a little sad. You have effectively emasculated yourself.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #27 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 7:59pm

ian wrote on Feb 15th, 2016 at 11:54am:

what a  bizarre perspective,. You think a firearm is the only thing in this world which can be used for self defense? Really? You seem to have come to rely so much on your guns you would be completely lost and powerless without it, thats a little sad. You have effectively emasculated yourself.

I understand exactly where Mort is coming from......I don't think that a firearm is the only weapon that can be used for self-defense, not by a long shot (excuse the pun), but no government or person should be able to eliminate the use of one.....remove the right to choose it for use for self-defense, or any weapon for that matter, IMHO, is completely wrong. Again, that's my honest opinion.

I would personally prefer a firearm  --  a sub-compact semi-automatic 9mm, rather than a knife....but there may be times where a firearm wouldn't be the best choice, & a good knife would be. The key is, a human being needs to have access to all choices, rather than none when it comes to defending their life.

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2016 at 8:21pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #28 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 11:00pm

I think you are talking about young men challenging other young men to a fight club contest where contestants are matched based on size and skill. I am referring to those people living their lives, minding their own business and are attacked. Regardless of their ability to defend themselves they were not looking for trouble. The attacker intends to have all the advantage in any rape, robbery or assault he plans to commit and your response is do not resist. When some big boy grabs you, bends you over a table and is buggering the hell out of you just be glad you don't have a weapon. Just imagine how you would feel if it were your little sister or grandmother who was the victim.

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Feb 15th, 2016 at 11:21pm

Mortdooley wrote on Feb 15th, 2016 at 11:00pm:

I think you are talking about young men challenging other young men to a fight club contest where contestants are matched based on size and skill. I am referring to those people living their lives, minding their own business and are attacked. Regardless of their ability to defend themselves they were not looking for trouble. The attacker intends to have all the advantage in any rape, robbery or assault he plans to commit and your response is do not resist. When some big boy grabs you, bends you over a table and is buggering the hell out of you just be glad you don't have a weapon. Just imagine how you would feel if it were your little sister or grandmother who was the victim.

I dont need a gun to stop someone buggering me. are all you American men walking around trying to bugger each other all the time, Im not surprised you want a gun.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #30 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 12:49am

Try to pay a little closer attention, I haven't mentioned firearms in this discussion. I could be talking about the aluminum meat tenderizer hammers sold in grocery store or the ax handle from a hardware store or even a can of wasp spray.
By your opinion a 70 year old pensioner should be able to go head to head with a 20 year old thug.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 5:01pm

Sir Eoin O Fada wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 8:08am:
|dev|null wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 12:21pm:

Wrong, it is illegal in Australia to possess anything for the purpose of self protection.

No it isn't.  Provide reference to the legislation - from each state - which you claim proves that, please.  Otherwise you're talking bullshit.

Quote:
If you possess oven cleaner in a spray can, in the kitchen, to clean the oven, that's OK, but if you have it in the bedroom for protection against a thief that breaks in then an offence has been committed, ditto insect spray but that can be kept in the bed room without indicating illegal intent.

Again, prove it - quoting each piece of legislation from each state that proves your claim.

Otherwise you're just bullshitting.   Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 5:09pm

Gun nuts are weird folk.  They talk continually about how big and tough they are compared to the criminals who they fear so much.  Strange and weird to say the least.  What does it matter to Americans if Australians choose to live peacefully and without guns?  Their evangelical zeal is quite worrisome.  They are on a jihad to make the world a more violent, more dangerous and more difficult place with their desire that everybody must have a gun!  Weird.    Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

MumboJumbo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 10:58pm

Hot Breath! OH, it is so good to see you and your smileys here again!

See Profile For Update wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 2:58pm:
Why the bugger did I get stuck on a planet chalked full of imbeciles?

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 10:55pm

Mortdooley wrote on Feb 16th, 2016 at 12:49am:
Try to pay a little closer attention, I haven't mentioned firearms in this discussion. I could be talking about the aluminum meat tenderizer hammers sold in grocery store or the ax handle from a hardware store or even a can of wasp spray.
By your opinion a 70 year old pensioner should be able to go head to head with a 20 year old thug. 

We had a 78 year old pensioner suffer a home invasion, he told the cops the criminals must have knocked themselves out falling down his stairs otherwise he could get sued- arrested-charged for not allowing criminals to have rights when they broke into his home.
I reckon it had a fairly happy ending.
Smiley

betootaadvocate.com/uncategorised/youll-never-guess-what-happened-when-three-jun...

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

boxy

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 11:03pm

Seeing as it's legal to own a weapon to kill animals that are of no threat... your question seems redundant.

IP Logged

boxy

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 11:10pm

Sir Eoin O Fada wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 6:38pm:
I'm afraid that some legal opinion sees possessing a knowledge of martial arts as the possession of a 'thing' and thus illegal if learnt with the intention of self defence.

Quote and link to the relevant laws then.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 1:19pm

I see Sir Eoin hasn't provided any links.  Does this mean his argument has been discarded?   Grin Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 11:55pm

Here we go, chums:

' ..... Each state and territory has its own laws and regulations in regard to offensive weapons. An offensive weapon is defined in the Crimes Amendment (Offensive Weapons) Act 1999 NSW as being:

A dangerous weapon is anything that is made or adapted for offensive purposes. Anything that in the circumstances is used, intended for use or threatened to be used for offensive purposes, whether or not it is ordinarily used for offensive purposes or is capable of causing harm.

This also includes anything that is used or intended to be used for self defence.  A weapon becomes an offensive weapon either:

By obviously being something that is capable of causing injury if used and is being carried in public but is not on the Prohibited Weapons Schedule, such as a stick, baseball bat, iron bar, 4×2 piece of wood and carried without reasonable excuse.
    By the admission of the person in possession that the object is being carried for self defence purposes.

So if you are walking along the street carrying a stick and you are asked by police “what’s that for” and you answer “to defend myself” you are in possession of an offensive weapon. ..... " http://www.pfsd.net/can-carry-weapon-self-defence/

Relevant links to varying State legislation are found on the link.

Now how hard was that?  Grin Grin Grin

Next!

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 12:26am

a walking stick springs to mind as something that can be carried for a lawful purpose and used in defence lawfully if needs be.

IP Logged

boxy

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 12:31am

Still no link to regulations outlawing "possessing a knowledge of martial arts" then.

It wasn't just bullshite, was it? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #41 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 12:33am

Yes, it is bullshyte. just like the old "my hands are registered as a deadly weapon" routine.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #42 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 1:03am

ian wrote on Mar 5th, 2016 at 12:33am:
Yes, it is bullshyte. just like the old "my hands are registered as a deadly weapon" routine.

Mine aren't - but let me tell you the glint in my eyes can be... the drug and drink addled fool at the club paused when I pushed myself between him and the supervisor he was about to attack, and fixed his eyes, then scanned his knees and such for points...... he backed off....

I'm 66 and it's been over thirty years since I did that stuff.....  but you have no choice sometimes.... the only way to control a situation at times is with a massive first strike..... no way I could beat that sh1thead in a drawn-out  fist fight.... he was crazy and had already fisted up with several big Khouris and felt nothing ...we'd already had a chest to chest and I felt his strength... so it's a Hail Mary..... and a good clean hit to take him down and make him stay there.... hopefully or unfortunately crying with pain....

Self-defence is a bitch at times.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #43 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 6:49am

A good first line of defense is to stay out of low-class pubs.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 12:27pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Mar 4th, 2016 at 11:55pm:
Here we go, chums:

' ..... Each state and territory has its own laws and regulations in regard to offensive weapons. An offensive weapon is defined in the Crimes Amendment (Offensive Weapons) Act 1999 NSW as being:

A dangerous weapon is anything that is made or adapted for offensive purposes. Anything that in the circumstances is used, intended for use or threatened to be used for offensive purposes, whether or not it is ordinarily used for offensive purposes or is capable of causing harm.

This also includes anything that is used or intended to be used for self defence.  A weapon becomes an offensive weapon either:

By obviously being something that is capable of causing injury if used and is being carried in public but is not on the Prohibited Weapons Schedule, such as a stick, baseball bat, iron bar, 4×2 piece of wood and carried without reasonable excuse.
    By the admission of the person in possession that the object is being carried for self defence purposes.

So if you are walking along the street carrying a stick and you are asked by police “what’s that for” and you answer “to defend myself” you are in possession of an offensive weapon. ..... " http://www.pfsd.net/can-carry-weapon-self-defence/

Relevant links to varying State legislation are found on the link.

Now how hard was that?  Grin Grin Grin

Next!

I think you need to look up the definitions of the following words:

Defensive
Offensive

And note the differences.

If you have a defensive weapoin you are OK.  If you have a weapon which has a primary purpose of being used offensively, you're correct.    Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 8:03pm

And I think you need to look at the admissions to Police.

If you need to thump someone with a stick, it's probably the better option to answer that it was handy in the circumstances. To admit that you were carrying it in self-defence is admitting that you knew it was a weapon.

A stick becomes more than a stick if it is intended as a means of self-defence.

The same applies if you carry a baseball bat in your car. It is more credible if you also carry a ball and glove.

Nuance. Understand nuance?

It matters in Court.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 11:12am

Lionel Edriess wrote on Mar 10th, 2016 at 8:03pm:

If you need to thump someone with a stick, it's probably the better option to answer that it was handy in the circumstances. To admit that you were carrying it in self-defence is admitting that you knew it was a weapon.

The same applies if you carry a baseball bat in your car. It is more credible if you also carry a ball and glove.

It matters in Court.

It matters in life and it matters here.  Funny how you've only rediscovered it when it suits your argument.  Funny that...   Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Mar 11th, 2016 at 10:00pm

|dev|null wrote on Mar 11th, 2016 at 11:12am:
Lionel Edriess wrote on Mar 10th, 2016 at 8:03pm:

It matters in Court.

It matters in life and it matters here.  Funny how you've only rediscovered it when it suits your argument.  Funny that...   Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

As usual, you have no rebuttal, just a line of 'smilies' to accent your reply.

Read it again, point out where I am incorrect and post a rebuttal of my observations.

Until you do so, you got nothin'.

In the eyes of the Court, evidence is everything.

In this country, you are forbidden to possess anything with the express purpose of self-defence - whether it be pointy, sharp, blunt or otherwise. If, however, you manage to grab a handy item that manages to injure your assailant, the onus is upon YOU to defend both your use of force and the means of defence.

A curled fist in the Valley is. apparently, not a weapon.    Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 1:50pm

You don't like it when I point out how ridiculious your comment is, do you Lionel?  Tough titties.  When you actually acknowledge that your comment is silly, I'll keep pointing it out!

You are silly!   Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #49 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 1:54pm

Lionels comment is quite correct.

IP Logged

Fuzzball
Gold Member

Australia
Reply #50 - Mar 14th, 2016 at 2:01pm

ian wrote on Mar 14th, 2016 at 1:54pm:
Lionels comment is quite correct.

Hear! Hear!

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
"Holy Sh!t ... What a Ride!"

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #51 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:31am

Father 'using force to defend family' charged with murder over death of intruder.

Source:   7NEWS  Quote:
A Newcastle father will face court today after being charged with murder over the death of a 34-year-old man who was believed to have been caught breaking into the father's home on Saturday.

The alleged intruder, Richard James Slater, reportedly made his way through the neighbour's yard and broke in through the back door of the Cleary Street residence in Hamilton at 3.30am on Saturday.

Police were told resident Ben Batterham found the burglar looking through his baby daughter’s bedroom, with a fight breaking out as he attempted to make a citizen's arrest.

The incident took place on Cleary Street located in the Newcastle suburb of Hamilton.

Slater was allegedly put into a headlock and detained by two men, aged 33 and 32.

Ben Batterham appeared in court this morning and did not apply for bail. He will now apply for one tomorrow before a magistrate.

“There was a massive bang and then... people running," a neighbour told 7 News.

Batterham's wife and their young baby were not harmed.

Shortly after, officers from Newcastle City Local Area Command attended the home to find Mr Slater had lost consciousness and was suffering from a broken neck.

The intruder made his way in through the neighbours yard and was allegedly caught peering into Mr Batterham's infant daughter's bedroom.

He was taken by Ambulance Paramedics to John Hunter Hospital in a critical condition but his life support was switched off on Sunday and died at 11.30am........continued

MURDER???    The Stupidity of NSW's Self-Defense Laws!? 

What do you think?

« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:38am by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #52 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:38am

If they broke his neck they should go to jail for manslaughter.

Two onto one no weapons, why break his neck.

This man must be scum, even though he was the original victim.

One too many UFC fights.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #53 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:41am

Ajax wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:38am:
If they broke his neck they should go to jail for manslaughter.

Two onto one no weapons, why break his neck.

This man must be scum, even though he was the original victim.

One too many UFC fights.

Only if it were proven beyond reasonable doubt that the headlock was intended to break the intruders neck.

If not, he should be pat on the back, & given a $75 fine....to be given to the intruders mother for giving birth to such an asshole!

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #54 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:42am

Panther wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:31am:
Father 'using force to defend family' charged with murder over death of intruder.

A Newcastle father will face court today after being charged with murder over the death of a 34-year-old man who was believed to have been caught breaking into the father's home on Saturday.

The alleged intruder, Richard James Slater, reportedly made his way through the neighbour's yard and broke in through the back door of the Cleary Street residence in Hamilton at 3.30am on Saturday.

Police were told resident Ben Batterham found the burglar looking through his baby daughter’s bedroom, with a fight breaking out as he attempted to make a citizen's arrest.

The incident took place on Cleary Street located in the Newcastle suburb of Hamilton.

Slater was allegedly put into a headlock and detained by two men, aged 33 and 32.

Ben Batterham appeared in court this morning and did not apply for bail. He will now apply for one tomorrow before a magistrate.

Shortly after, officers from Newcastle City Local Area Command attended the home to find Mr Slater had lost consciousness and was suffering from a broken neck.

The intruder made his way in through the neighbours yard and was allegedly caught peering into Mr Batterham's infant daughter's bedroom.

He was taken by Ambulance Paramedics to John Hunter Hospital in a critical condition but his life support was switched off on Sunday and died at 11.30am........continued

http://imgur.com/PCdUjTk.gif   

What do you think?

Actually if these people get off then this case may set a precedent, I would say without knowing what statements they have made to police a good lawyer may get them off.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #55 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:31pm

ian wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:42am:
Panther wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 10:31am:

http://imgur.com/PCdUjTk.gif   

What do you think?

Actually if these people get off then this case may set a precedent, I would say without knowing what statements they have made to police a good lawyer may get them off.

Regardless, the intruder broke into the house.

He wasn't invited.

He was caught peering into the inhabitants infants bedroom, where again he wasn't invited. Nothing to get excited about at all. Maybe he just wanted to play?

Hell, this is a case of upside down law if I ever heard of one.

Charged with murder (intent to kill), which is BTW what any warm blooded father might be tempted to do after finding an invited man in his house, peering at his infant child for reasons unknown.....

In the end being charged with murder us way over the top IMHO, & quite ignorant of the goon squad.

He shouldn't even have to be brought in front of the magistrate, much less remanded to a cell.

Defending your life, & the lives of your family & property is the most basic of all natural rights.

Having to pass a test on how much reasonable force should have been used is ridiculous & totally asinine.

This intruder was an unwelcome & uninvited threat, & IMHO force up to & including deadly force, with outcome intended or not, should be applicable to any uninvited stranger found wandering in your home with unknown motives.....full stop....period.....end of story!

« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:39pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #56 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:36pm

My point was, that maybe they know the charge of murder is over the top, they will be found not guilty and will set a precedent. There was  a similar case in WA some years back where a home owner went out in the middle of the night with a knife when he found someone tampering with his car. He stabbed and killed the intruder, was charged and acquitted. What this means that now in similar circumstances the right of defending your property with a weapon has now been upheld.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #57 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:46pm

ian wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:36pm:
My point was, that maybe they know the charge of murder is over the top, they will be found not guilty and will set a precedent. There was  a similar case in WA some years back where a home owner went out in the middle of the night with a knife when he found someone tampering with his car. He stabbed and killed the intruder, was charged and acquitted. What this means that now in similar circumstances the right of defending your property with a weapon has now been upheld.

Your point was completely understood, & I agree with you 100% as to the proper outcome ....swift acquittal... it's just a shame that this man should now be vilified & humiliated for exercising his natural right, IMHO, of self-defense because some ass-wipe broke into his house, & threatened (by his mere presence) himself & his family.

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #58 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:49pm

yes, another case of blaming the attempted  victims. This fellow Slater, good riddance to him. The planet is a better place with him gone, these guys should be given a medal instead for ridding us of this filth. More than likely he was going to rape the child when he was challenged.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #59 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:52pm

ian wrote on Mar 28th, 2016 at 12:49pm:
yes, another case of blaming the attempted  victims. This fellow Slater, good riddance to him. The planet is a better place with him gone, these guys should be given a medal instead for ridding us of this filth. More than likely he was going to rape the child when he was challenged.

Amen to that brother.....we may have disagreed elsewhere in the past, which is healthy, but as to this.....we are in total accord!

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

capitosinora
Gold Member

Australian Politics

USA Florida
Reply #60 - Mar 28th, 2016 at 6:34pm

Hunting is bad and fishing is good.

GOD BLESS AMERICA

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #61 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:25pm

Panther, you're displaying your ignorance of how Australian law works.  The Police are required to investigate every crime reported to them.  They are required to charge any wrong-doing detected.  It is up to the courts to determine innocence or guilt.   That the person was unlawfully killed is evident from the report.  Whether they are guilty of murder or manslaughter is up to the court to determine.   Unlike like America's Wild West mentality, law breakers have just as many rights to protection as do their victims.  Killing this law breaker was unlawful.  So, his killer has to prove his innocence in a court of law, as it should be.   His right to self-defence was allowed.  Self-defence doesn't mean he is above the law and unanswerable to the law.   Wake up to how much your mentality is destroying your own society.  I hear there will be no guns at the Republican Convention.  Good.  Can't trust people with guns.    Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #62 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:46pm

Quote:
So, his killer has to prove his innocence in a court of law, as it should be.

Never.  Onus of proof is always on the Crown.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #63 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 6:45pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:46pm:
Quote:

He is now defending himself on a murder charge, is he not?

I thought a murder charge automatically involved intent and/or premeditation.

Ergo, he has to prove his innocence of that charge.

The Crown has already set the stakes.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #64 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 6:53pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 6:45pm:
Quote:

The Crown has to prove all elements of every offence including that something was unlawful.  If on some evidence a defence is suggested (not proven....suggested) then the onus is on the Crown to exclude that defence beyond reasonable doubt.

Quote:
Criminal Code 1899 - SECT 302
302 Definition of murder 302 Definition of murder

(1) Except as hereinafter set forth, a person who unlawfully kills another under any of the following circumstances, that is to say—

(a) if the offender intends to cause the death of the person killed or that of some other person or if the offender intends to do to the person killed or to some other person some grievous bodily harm;

(b) if death is caused by means of an act done in the prosecution of an unlawful purpose, which act is of such a nature as to be likely to endanger human life;

(c) if the offender intends to do grievous bodily harm to some person for the purpose of facilitating the commission of a crime which is such that the offender may be arrested without warrant, or for the purpose of facilitating the flight of an offender who has committed or attempted to commit any such crime;

(d) if death is caused by administering any stupefying or overpowering thing for either of the purposes mentioned in paragraph (c);

(e) if death is caused by wilfully stopping the breath of any person for either of such purposes;

is guilty of murder.

(2) Under subsection (1)(a) it is immaterial that the offender did not intend to hurt the particular person who is killed.

(3) Under subsection (1)(b) it is immaterial that the offender did not intend to hurt any person.

(4) Under subsection (1)(c) to (e) it is immaterial that the offender did not intend to cause death or did not know that death was likely to result.

Something is unlawful unless it is authorised, justified or excused at Law.

The Crown carries the onus of proving beyond reasonable that that an act was not authorised, justified or excused at Law.  The accused does not have to prove it was authorised, justified or excused at Law.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #65 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:15pm

Quote:

In a criminal proceeding, all defendants are presumed innocent, innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

The prosecution must prove each & every element of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt in order to succeed.

The defendants need not testify in their own behalf, they need not prove their innocence, meanwhile their legal team's main objective from the onset is to cast doubt into the claims of the prosecution via cross examination.   Wink
« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:21pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #66 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:27pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 6:53pm:
The Crown has to prove all elements of every offense including that something was unlawful.  If on some evidence a defense is suggested (not proven....suggested) then the onus is on the Crown to exclude that defense beyond reasonable doubt.

Correct

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 9:02pm

Panther wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 8:15pm:
Quote:

In a criminal proceeding, all defendants are presumed innocent, innocent until proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.

The prosecution must prove each & every element of guilt beyond a reasonable doubt in order to succeed.

The defendants need not testify in their own behalf, they need not prove their innocence, meanwhile their legal team's main objective from the onset is to cast doubt into the claims of the prosecution via cross examination.   Wink

In other words, he's fooked.

Looking at the scene of the 'crime', one hardly imagines that this 'defendant' is capable of affording a 'legal team'.

Such double-speak means, in effect, that he has to 'cast doubt on the 'claims of the prosecution'. FFS, look at the record of the 'party-goer'.

The police. the prosecution, have no interest in establishing a precedent in this case, therefore it will be conducted with the utmost prejudice against the defendant.

This bloke will be crucified by the legal system for the simple reason that they don't wish to create a precedent. Innocence has nothing to do with it.

Big drunk Abo invading a house on the pretext of attending a party. Turns up at 3.30 in the morning uninvited and won't leave. Wrestles with two blokes who want him out, falls over in the scuffle. Breaks neck.

poo happens. Broken neck is bad poo.

Lots of questions here.

I live alone. Come into my house uninvited at 3.30 in the morning, I might just have a knee-jerk reaction. I've seen the wives of Vietnam vets wake 'em up by poking 'em with a broomstick. There's a reason they did that, and a reason they stayed.

I am so fuggin tired of being beaten by women, sooks and the system.

Courtesy costs nothing and assumptions are dangerous.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #68 - Mar 29th, 2016 at 9:13pm

Quote:
Big drunk Abo invading a house on the pretext of attending a party. Turns up at 3.30 in the morning uninvited and won't leave. Wrestles with two blokes who want him out, falls over in the scuffle. Breaks neck.

How do you know those were the facts?

"Assumptions are dangerous."

IP Logged

MumboJumbo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 4:54pm

Move to WA bitches, then the law will be on your side:

Quote:
244. Home invasion, use of force to prevent etc.

(1) It is lawful for a person (the occupant) who is in peaceable possession of a dwelling to use any force or do anything else that the occupant believes, on reasonable grounds, to be necessary

(a) to prevent a home invader from wrongfully entering the dwelling or an associated place; or

(b) to cause a home invader who is wrongfully in the dwelling or on or in an associated place to leave the dwelling or place; or

(c) to make effectual defence against violence used or threatened in relation to a person by a home invader who is —

(i) attempting to wrongfully enter the dwelling or an associated place; or

(ii) wrongfully in the dwelling or on or in an associated place;

or

(d) to prevent a home invader from committing, or make a home invader stop committing, an offence in the dwelling or on or in an associated place.

(1A) Despite subsection (1), it is not lawful for the occupant to use force that is intended, or that is likely, to cause death to a home invader unless the occupant believes, on reasonable grounds, that violence is being or is likely to be used or is threatened in relation to a person by a home invader.

I very much like this section. "It is lawful" are lovely words in a statute -- it also bars civil claims as well.

Consider (1A): you have carte blanch with the bastards if you believe, on reasonable grounds, that (any) violence is being used/threatened. Law note: no proportionality test, either in the code or in case law.

Bring it on.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #70 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 5:01pm

MumboJumbo wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 4:54pm:
Move to WA bitches, then the law will be on your side:

Quote:
244. Home invasion, use of force to prevent etc.

(1) It is lawful for a person (the occupant) who is in peaceable possession of a dwelling to use any force or do anything else that the occupant believes, on reasonable grounds, to be necessary

(a) to prevent a home invader from wrongfully entering the dwelling or an associated place; or

(b) to cause a home invader who is wrongfully in the dwelling or on or in an associated place to leave the dwelling or place; or

(c) to make effectual defence against violence used or threatened in relation to a person by a home invader who is —

(i) attempting to wrongfully enter the dwelling or an associated place; or

(ii) wrongfully in the dwelling or on or in an associated place;

or

(d) to prevent a home invader from committing, or make a home invader stop committing, an offence in the dwelling or on or in an associated place.

(1A) Despite subsection (1), it is not lawful for the occupant to use force that is intended, or that is likely, to cause death to a home invader unless the occupant believes, on reasonable grounds, that violence is being or is likely to be used or is threatened in relation to a person by a home invader.

I very much like this section. "It is lawful" are lovely words in a statute -- it also bars civil claims as well.

Consider (1A): you have carte blanch with the bastards if you believe, on reasonable grounds, that (any) violence is being used/threatened. Law note: no proportionality test, either in the code or in case law.

Bring it on.

Incorrect.  "On reasonable grounds."

IP Logged

MumboJumbo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 6:03pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 5:01pm:

Need reasonable grounds to support your apprehension of violence. Once you've got that, you're set!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #72 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 6:34pm

MumboJumbo wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 6:03pm:

Need reasonable grounds to support your apprehension of violence. Once you've got that, you're set!

You're set to do what?

(Read that section of the WA Code again.)

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #73 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 9:32pm

News Flash!

The victim was an ice user who has a previous record of home invasion, kiddy fiddling, violence, etc. etc. Has served time and was 'getting his life back on track'.

Yeah, right!

The accused is now in jail and at the mercy of the somewhat dubious mercy of the police.

He'll suffer out of all proportion because of the media hype surrounding the case and the judiciary not wanting to set a precedent.

Just ring 000 and wait for help! Yeah, right!

25 years since Colin Winchester. Roger Rogerson recently.

Justice, these days, is proportional to representation, political agendas and vested interests.

Fifty years ago, this bloke would have already walked.

What has changed in our society since then to allow the the perpetrator to even walk the streets, to accuse a father defending his family of excessive force when defending his family, and the ever-present PC slant on the dead man's ethnicity?

Heaven forbid that the general public start defending themselves! FFS, if this keeps up, they might even start thinking for themselves!

Bureaucracy needs Soylent Green, not an educated populace.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #74 - Mar 31st, 2016 at 9:37pm

|dev|null wrote on Mar 29th, 2016 at 5:25pm:
Panther, you're displaying your ignorance of how Australian law works.  The Police are required to investigate every crime reported to them.  They are required to charge any wrong-doing detected.  It is up to the courts to determine innocence or guilt.   That the person was unlawfully killed is evident from the report.  Whether they are guilty of murder or manslaughter is up to the court to determine.   Unlike like America's Wild West mentality, law breakers have just as many rights to protection as do their victims.  Killing this law breaker was unlawful.  So, his killer has to prove his innocence in a court of law, as it should be.   His right to self-defence was allowed.  Self-defence doesn't mean he is above the law and unanswerable to the law.   Wake up to how much your mentality is destroying your own society.  I hear there will be no guns at the Republican Convention.  Good.  Can't trust people with guns.    Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

nearly everything you posted here is absolute facile drivel.i

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #75 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 12:32pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 9:32pm:
News Flash!

The victim was an ice user who has a previous record of home invasion, kiddy fiddling, violence, etc. etc. Has served time and was 'getting his life back on track'.

Yeah, right!

The accused is now in jail and at the mercy of the somewhat dubious mercy of the police.

He'll suffer out of all proportion because of the media hype surrounding the case and the judiciary not wanting to set a precedent.

Just ring 000 and wait for help! Yeah, right!

Justice, these days, is proportional to representation, political agendas and vested interests.

What has changed in our society since then to allow the the perpetrator to even walk the streets, to accuse a father defending his family of excessive force when defending his family, and the ever-present PC slant on the dead man's ethnicity?

Heaven forbid that the general public start defending themselves! FFS, if this keeps up, they might even start thinking for themselves!

Bureaucracy needs Soylent Green, not an educated populace.

In all matters, especially when defending yourself, Political Correctness seems to trump all levels & layers of logic, understanding, & decency today. It seems that nothing else really matters.

Each ethnic group has a number assigned to them....their PC Number....how guilty one is depends on the PC Number of those they speak to, or interact with, & how loud, & what is said to them, & in this case how offended they are allowed to feel & how grievously the lower PC Numbered person is accused by everyone, including the Government & Media.

By the way if you're a White Christian Male, you must assume the PC Value of -1, & if you're an Aboriginal Muslim Female you've hit the jackpot of +110 unless you are dealing with an Aboriginal Muslim Male, who automatically is given +2 Preference PC points over any female of any race or ethnicity.

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2016 at 12:54pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #76 - Apr 1st, 2016 at 1:32pm

MumboJumbo wrote on Mar 31st, 2016 at 6:03pm:

as i stated before, the only thing to say is "I was in fear of my life" , conviction is then highly unlikely as all that needs to be shown was the fear reasonable.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #77 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:45am

A person I know (a black belt Karate instructor) was attacked by two men.
He was struck from behind by the first man and he grabbed said man and threw him aside as the second man ran in to strike him.
He did not hit the man, he threw him to the side with a body throw.
The second man was coming at speed so he punched him as he attacked, breaking the mans jaw and collar bone, mainly from the mans momentum.
The first man however head butted the wall and suffered a concussion.

The police came and arrested the man who was attacked and the criminals went to hospital.

In court, the man could not refer to the two criminals previous violent convictions as there was an outstanding conviction and the mans case may/ would have impacted on a "Fair" trial.

The man was charged initially with assault occasioning bodily harm, but this was argued down to using undue force to defend himself.
Apparently, although he only struck 1 person, this was unreasonable force because he was a trained fighter.
He avoided a jail sentence, but lost his job because he had a criminal conviction, he also had a 12 month probation requiring him to go to a police station every day.
He was 45 years old and had never committed a crime in his life.....ever.

There is a provision by law that allows you to defend yourself with an open hand, the law is an ass, thee are several very effective techniques that use an open hand in Karate, unfortunately these are quite injurious to the attacker, but hell, as a martial artist of over 20 years that is the way I will defend myself in future.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #78 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 10:16am

Valkie wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:45am:
A person I know (a black belt Karate instructor) was attacked by two men.
He was struck from behind by the first man and he grabbed said man and threw him aside as the second man ran in to strike him.
He did not hit the man, he threw him to the side with a body throw.
The second man was coming at speed so he punched him as he attacked, breaking the mans jaw and collar bone, mainly from the mans momentum.

The police came and arrested the man who was attacked and the criminals went to hospital.

In court, the man could not refer to the two criminals previous violent convictions as there was an outstanding conviction and the mans case may/ would have impacted on a "Fair" trial.

The man was charged initially with assault occasioning bodily harm, but this was argued down to using undue force to defend himself.
Apparently, although he only struck 1 person, this was unreasonable force because he was a trained fighter.
He avoided a jail sentence, but lost his job because he had a criminal conviction, he also had a 12 month probation requiring him to go to a police station every day.
He was 45 years old and had never committed a crime in his life.....ever.

There is a provision by law that allows you to defend yourself with an open hand, the law is an ass, thee are several very effective techniques that use an open hand in Karate, unfortunately these are quite injurious to the attacker, but hell, as a martial artist of over 20 years that is the way I will defend myself in future.
Absolute nonsense. You made this up

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #79 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 12:35pm

Sorry, sadly no.

The law is an ass, governed by an ever expanding plethora of asses.

Judges are so far out of touch with the real world that they see nothing other than their own overgrown guts.

For privacy's sake Ill let you believe that the law is always right and never gets it wrong and that this never happened.
That Judges have all the answers and that the police are un-corruptible.
That politicians and public servants actually serve the interests of the public before their own and that the tooth fairy is alive and well and living with Santa Clause in the North Pole.
And that the world is a lovely place inhabited by altruistic, benevolent people from all walks of life.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #80 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 2:42pm

Valkie wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 12:35pm:
Sorry, sadly no.

Judges are so far out of touch with the real world that they see nothing other than their own overgrown guts.

For privacy's sake Ill let you believe that the law is always right and never gets it wrong and that this never happened.
That politicians and public servants actually serve the interests of the public before their own and that the tooth fairy is alive and well and living with Santa Clause in the North Pole.
And that the world is a lovely place inhabited by altruistic, benevolent people from all walks of life.

I think you just described half the City of Yarra in Melbourne!  ...

Do you have a link to that story?...I'd like to share it with a few mates overseas....they won't believe it otherwise.
  Wink

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #81 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 2:48pm

Sorry, sadly no.

Yes, you did. Your whole post was abject nonsense not based on any fact at all. Would you like me to highlight the obvious fabrications or are are you going to admit the whole post was BS?

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #82 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 3:27pm

ian wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 2:48pm:
Sorry, sadly no.

Yes, you did. Your whole post was abject nonsense not based on any fact at all. Would you like me to highlight the obvious fabrications or are are you going to admit the whole post was BS?

I believe in giving the guy a fair go...

A think a link would be sufficient ....

no link = fabrication 

~ or  ~   

link provided = fact insofar as the source can be trusted  Wink

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #83 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 4:45pm

Valkie wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 8:45am:

An impossible injury from one punch, the jaw and collarbone are not connected. Ive been boxing and fighting for decades and seen plenty of broken jaws, never came across a collar bone and jaw been broken by one punch.

Quote:
this sort of thing quite happens in the movies where the skills of the martial artist are choreographed and the defendant performs some type of expert akido deflection. Looks great in the movies  but in real life to head butt a wall unwittingly the person would have to be held at the right angle at the point of impact, not somehow "swept aside" as claimed.

Quote:
also, that would never happen. with varying accounts of the incident all 3 would be initially arrested even thought hey went to hospital.

Quote:

there is no such charge as "using undue force" there is common assault, assault occasioning grievous bodily harm, etc, etc. If the charges were downgraded from grievous bodily harm, there is no trial, common assault charges are heard in the Magistrates court.

Quote:
more nonsense, the outcome would be decided on the degree and level of force used, not on the defendants fighting capabilities. of course, his degree of skill could be used against him if he over reacted but thats quite different.

Quote:
reporting to a police station very day over a common assault charge is BS. if so there would be thousands of people reporting to every police station every day.

Quote:
There is a provision by law that allows you to defend yourself with an open hand,
No, there isnt, it doesnt exist. Pure fabrication.
Quote:
the law is an ass, there are several very effective techniques that use an open hand in Karate, unfortunately these are quite injurious to the attacker,
the only piece of truth in your whole story.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #84 - Apr 5th, 2016 at 5:18pm

Believe what you will.
I couldn't care less and will not bother posting in future.
I might just troll as you do and keep repeating the mantra Facts Facts Facts.
If it makes you sleep better at night, thats all that matters.

There is never a miscarriage of justice.
Police officers never get caught driving drunk and without a licence for 20 years.
Politicians never get caught with brown paper bags.
Priests don't fiddle little boys and everything on the planet is above board and makes perfect sense.

Enjoy your little world.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #85 - Apr 6th, 2016 at 10:47am

Valkie wrote on Apr 5th, 2016 at 5:18pm:
Believe what you will.
I couldn't care less and will not bother posting in future.
I might just troll as you do and keep repeating the mantra Facts Facts Facts.
If it makes you sleep better at night, thats all that matters.

There is never a miscarriage of justice.
Police officers never get caught driving drunk and without a licence for 20 years.
Politicians never get caught with brown paper bags.
Priests don't fiddle little boys and everything on the planet is above board and makes perfect sense.

Enjoy your little world.

Can we take it then that there are no links forthcoming from any source?

That might be considered a dodgy move if so.

If it's something that the media didn't cover (would be amazing if it wasn't recalling the particulars) the event.....it would still be public record being the police were involved, & reports must be filed.   Roll Eyes   Lips Sealed

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print