Send Topic Print
Self defence (Read 11324 times)
Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Re: Self defence
Reply #30 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 12:49am

Try to pay a little closer attention, I haven't mentioned firearms in this discussion. I could be talking about the aluminum meat tenderizer hammers sold in grocery store or the ax handle from a hardware store or even a can of wasp spray.
By your opinion a 70 year old pensioner should be able to go head to head with a 20 year old thug.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 5:01pm

Sir Eoin O Fada wrote on Feb 12th, 2016 at 8:08am:
|dev|null wrote on Feb 11th, 2016 at 12:21pm:
No, it isn't.  It is a law which determines the purpose that a tool can be used for.  You use the Umbrella to protect you from the elements or nature, that is OK, you use the Umbrella to attack other humans, that is not OK.  Simples, really for everybody except a dunce!   Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Wrong, it is illegal in Australia to possess anything for the purpose of self protection.

No it isn't.  Provide reference to the legislation - from each state - which you claim proves that, please.  Otherwise you're talking bullshit.

Quote:
If you possess oven cleaner in a spray can, in the kitchen, to clean the oven, that's OK, but if you have it in the bedroom for protection against a thief that breaks in then an offence has been committed, ditto insect spray but that can be kept in the bed room without indicating illegal intent.

Again, prove it - quoting each piece of legislation from each state that proves your claim.

Otherwise you're just bullshitting.   Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Feb 16th, 2016 at 5:09pm

Gun nuts are weird folk.  They talk continually about how big and tough they are compared to the criminals who they fear so much.  Strange and weird to say the least.  What does it matter to Americans if Australians choose to live peacefully and without guns?  Their evangelical zeal is quite worrisome.  They are on a jihad to make the world a more violent, more dangerous and more difficult place with their desire that everybody must have a gun!  Weird.    Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

MumboJumbo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Feb 24th, 2016 at 10:58pm

Hot Breath! OH, it is so good to see you and your smileys here again!

See Profile For Update wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 2:58pm:
Why the bugger did I get stuck on a planet chalked full of imbeciles?

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 10:55pm

Mortdooley wrote on Feb 16th, 2016 at 12:49am:
Try to pay a little closer attention, I haven't mentioned firearms in this discussion. I could be talking about the aluminum meat tenderizer hammers sold in grocery store or the ax handle from a hardware store or even a can of wasp spray.
By your opinion a 70 year old pensioner should be able to go head to head with a 20 year old thug. 

We had a 78 year old pensioner suffer a home invasion, he told the cops the criminals must have knocked themselves out falling down his stairs otherwise he could get sued- arrested-charged for not allowing criminals to have rights when they broke into his home.
I reckon it had a fairly happy ending.
Smiley

betootaadvocate.com/uncategorised/youll-never-guess-what-happened-when-three-jun...

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

boxy

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 11:03pm

Sir Eoin O Fada wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 5:17pm:
Is it unlawful to possess any thing for the purpose of self defence against non-human animals?

Seeing as it's legal to own a weapon to kill animals that are of no threat... your question seems redundant.

IP Logged

boxy

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Feb 25th, 2016 at 11:10pm

Sir Eoin O Fada wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 6:38pm:
I'm afraid that some legal opinion sees possessing a knowledge of martial arts as the possession of a 'thing' and thus illegal if learnt with the intention of self defence.

Is it unlawful to possess any thing for the purpose of self defence against non-human animals?

Quote and link to the relevant laws then.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Mar 3rd, 2016 at 1:19pm

I see Sir Eoin hasn't provided any links.  Does this mean his argument has been discarded?   Grin Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Mar 4th, 2016 at 11:55pm

Here we go, chums:

' ..... Each state and territory has its own laws and regulations in regard to offensive weapons. An offensive weapon is defined in the Crimes Amendment (Offensive Weapons) Act 1999 NSW as being:

A dangerous weapon is anything that is made or adapted for offensive purposes. Anything that in the circumstances is used, intended for use or threatened to be used for offensive purposes, whether or not it is ordinarily used for offensive purposes or is capable of causing harm.

This also includes anything that is used or intended to be used for self defence.  A weapon becomes an offensive weapon either:

By obviously being something that is capable of causing injury if used and is being carried in public but is not on the Prohibited Weapons Schedule, such as a stick, baseball bat, iron bar, 4×2 piece of wood and carried without reasonable excuse.
    By the admission of the person in possession that the object is being carried for self defence purposes.

So if you are walking along the street carrying a stick and you are asked by police “what’s that for” and you answer “to defend myself” you are in possession of an offensive weapon. ..... " http://www.pfsd.net/can-carry-weapon-self-defence/

Relevant links to varying State legislation are found on the link.

Now how hard was that?  Grin Grin Grin

Next!

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #39 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 12:26am

a walking stick springs to mind as something that can be carried for a lawful purpose and used in defence lawfully if needs be.

IP Logged

boxy

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 12:31am

Still no link to regulations outlawing "possessing a knowledge of martial arts" then.

It wasn't just bullshite, was it? Roll Eyes

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #41 - Mar 5th, 2016 at 12:33am

Yes, it is bullshyte. just like the old "my hands are registered as a deadly weapon" routine.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #42 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 1:03am

ian wrote on Mar 5th, 2016 at 12:33am:
Yes, it is bullshyte. just like the old "my hands are registered as a deadly weapon" routine.

Mine aren't - but let me tell you the glint in my eyes can be... the drug and drink addled fool at the club paused when I pushed myself between him and the supervisor he was about to attack, and fixed his eyes, then scanned his knees and such for points...... he backed off....

I'm 66 and it's been over thirty years since I did that stuff.....  but you have no choice sometimes.... the only way to control a situation at times is with a massive first strike..... no way I could beat that sh1thead in a drawn-out  fist fight.... he was crazy and had already fisted up with several big Khouris and felt nothing ...we'd already had a chest to chest and I felt his strength... so it's a Hail Mary..... and a good clean hit to take him down and make him stay there.... hopefully or unfortunately crying with pain....

Self-defence is a bitch at times.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #43 - Mar 7th, 2016 at 6:49am

A good first line of defense is to stay out of low-class pubs.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Mar 10th, 2016 at 12:27pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Mar 4th, 2016 at 11:55pm:
Here we go, chums:

' ..... Each state and territory has its own laws and regulations in regard to offensive weapons. An offensive weapon is defined in the Crimes Amendment (Offensive Weapons) Act 1999 NSW as being:

A dangerous weapon is anything that is made or adapted for offensive purposes. Anything that in the circumstances is used, intended for use or threatened to be used for offensive purposes, whether or not it is ordinarily used for offensive purposes or is capable of causing harm.

This also includes anything that is used or intended to be used for self defence.  A weapon becomes an offensive weapon either:

By obviously being something that is capable of causing injury if used and is being carried in public but is not on the Prohibited Weapons Schedule, such as a stick, baseball bat, iron bar, 4×2 piece of wood and carried without reasonable excuse.
    By the admission of the person in possession that the object is being carried for self defence purposes.

So if you are walking along the street carrying a stick and you are asked by police “what’s that for” and you answer “to defend myself” you are in possession of an offensive weapon. ..... " http://www.pfsd.net/can-carry-weapon-self-defence/

Relevant links to varying State legislation are found on the link.

Now how hard was that?  Grin Grin Grin

Next!

I think you need to look up the definitions of the following words:

Defensive
Offensive

And note the differences.

If you have a defensive weapoin you are OK.  If you have a weapon which has a primary purpose of being used offensively, you're correct.    Grin Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Grin

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print