Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Aldi shoppers are smart shoppers (Read 827 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Aldi shoppers are smart shoppers
Feb 7th, 2016 at 12:00pm

Can you believe this.

I overheard two women talking the other day and my ears pricked up when Aldi was mentioned.
This one woman was so anti-Aldi it was farcical.

The misconceptions and prejudice! "I only go on there to have a laugh" she said at one point.
They only have foreign crap and that rubbish they have in the middle. I assume she was referring to the weekly specials - anything from snow gear to a pool pump or an aircon.

If only she knew that we go there not just for the price but for the reliable quality. That when they have tools as a special you can't move for the tradies.

Oh well, some people can't be told - not even where to go to avoid salmonella.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Aldi shoppers are smart shoppers
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 12:18pm

I agree. Aldi food is much better than the Woolworths and Coles brands, and far cheaper (and Australian). There are two brands I’m loyal to: Aldi and Air Asia. They are both quality brands and cheaper than their competitors.

Aldi even has fair trade products - unlike Coles and Woolworths. Aldi shows that capitalism can deliver the goods. Air Asia’s slogan is "now everyone can fly". Air Asia has effectively opened up travel all over South East Asia. Everyone can fly. Air Asia flights are often cheaper than the bus or ferry. They’ve opened up parts of Asia that were once remote.

These brands are more than just aggressive suppliers, they represent something higher - a democratisation of goods and services. Once, wine was a luxury item. Now I can buy a fairly decent bottle at Aldi for under $3.

There’s no way I’d go back to the mediocrity and protectionism of the 1980s. Then, you could only buy one type of cheese. When you went out for a meal, you got some kind of meat covered in Gravox.You could only fly with big, price-fixed aIrlines. The Australian economy was fully monopolised. When you shopped, you got what you were given and prices were double what they are today in real terms.

It’s thanks to competition and foreign brands like Aldi that our standard of living has risen. We never want to go back to the dull place Australia was before globalisation.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2016 at 12:30pm by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 12:32pm

Ah but don't get carried away
Hasten slowly like a good conservative that I know you ain't.
Globalisation per se doesn't equate with progress. I only have to cite the TPP and corporate/state dispute resolution to make my point.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 12:57pm

bogarde73 wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 12:32pm:
Globalisation per se doesn't equate with progress. I only have to cite the TPP and corporate/state dispute resolution to make my point.

True. Globalisation is indifferent. What countries do with it is key. A country’s terms of trade is crucial: it’s pointless importing foreign goods if no one can afford them. I don’t see too many of the benefits of globalisation when I’m in small towns in India - you’d be lucky to get one kind of cheese there. India is still a heavily protected economy, but it’s slowly coming out. You can finally buy Coca Cola in India now. This now competes with the locally made, "Thumbs Up". Japanese scooters now compete with the British motorcycles, Royal Enfield. You even see cars on the road that aren’t those 1950s Ambassadors. Some even have seatbelts.

How can this not be seen as progress? I’m not talking about a better society here, or human evolution. I’m talking simply about the ability to buy foreign goods and services.

But - opening up the horizons of your village is progress too. It has its good and bad points - no one said progress is all good. Being able to travel and learn how others live is what has always inspired social evolution. In the past, this was normally done during war. Now we’re doing it in peacetime.

Competition, trade and foreign integration has the ability to make us better. It’s up to us how we do it. Unlike the majority of Indians, we can afford foreign products. We can afford to travel, study and do business overseas. Currently, our dollar is high. Our terms of trade are good.

This gives us far more opportunities than most of the world. You don’t see Aldi in India.

Mind you, Air Asia’s taking off there, so there’s hope.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 2:28pm

Do they sell wine in Aldi in Australia?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 2:42pm

freediver wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 2:28pm:

They sure do, and it’s not bad. I compared their $2.89 chardonnay blend with a $12 bottle of Oxford Landing - an old cheap brand well past its heyday. The Aldi stuff won hands dowm.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 2:43pm

In NSW they do

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 3:08pm

When conservatism.was invented as a social and political model in the late 19th century, there were far less restrictions on foreign.trade than there are today. The founder of conservatism, Edmund Burke, lived in what was known as the first great age of globalisation. Back then, the British Empire covered much of the globe. European trade with the colonies and Americas provided Europeans with many of their goods. Companies like the British East India Company and the Dutch East India Company managed populations that were larger than Europe herself. Europe was awash with foreign exotic food and products. This is the climate conservatism entered.

Conservatism is a political/legal model. It’s a model that questions how change should be managed by parliaments and laws. Conservatism does not seek to endlessly continue the past, but provide enduring social institutions to manage change. Conservatism is not against change per se, but change for change’s sake.

A marketplace is driven by demand. Conservatism, by and large, does not enjoy interfering with such demand. Globalisation, while it has its problems, is seen within conservatism as the natural state of affairs. The nation state itself, on the other hand, was seen by Burke as an artificial construct. All the laws, tariffs, checks and balances we placed on foreign trade in the 20th century are the antithesis of conservatism.

Returning to an era of liberal global trade is the very essence of conservatism.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 7:30pm

Mattyfisk wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 3:08pm:

When conservatism.was invented as a social and political model in the late 19th century, there were far less restrictions on foreign.trade than there are today. The founder of conservatism, Edmund Burke, lived in what was known as the first great age of globalisation. Back then, the British Empire covered much of the globe. European trade with the colonies and Americas provided Europeans with many of their goods. Companies like the British East India Company and the Dutch East India Company managed populations that were larger than Europe herself. Europe was awash with foreign exotic food and products. This is the climate conservatism entered.

Conservatism is a political/legal model. It’s a model that questions how change should be managed by parliaments and laws. Conservatism does not seek to endlessly continue the past, but provide enduring social institutions to manage change. Conservatism is not against change per se, but change for change’s sake.

A marketplace is driven by demand. Conservatism, by and large, does not enjoy interfering with such demand. Globalisation, while it has its problems, is seen within conservatism as the natural state of affairs. The nation state itself, on the other hand, was seen by Burke as an artificial construct. All the laws, tariffs, checks and balances we placed on foreign trade in the 20th century are the antithesis of conservatism.

Returning to an era of liberal global trade is the very essence of conservatism.

Is this all your ideas, PB??

No mention of the free movement of people with bones through their noses or 4 wives or predilection to digitally rape women on new years eve. Were they meant to be part of Burke's liberal trade conservatism?

Please explain.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:05am

Soren wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 7:30pm:
Mattyfisk wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 3:08pm:

Is this all your ideas, PB??

No mention of the free movement of people with bones through their noses or 4 wives or predilection to digitally rape women on new years eve. Were they meant to be part of Burke's liberal trade conservatism?

Please explain.

A couple of our own bone-wearers were taken back to meet King George III. They were quite the rage in late 19th century London. Sales of Aboriginal artefacts went through the roof.

Conservatism and trade liberalism are two different theories. Conservatism refers to the constitution. Trade liberalism refers to the markets. Adam Smith founded the latter prior to Burke.

In Australia, these two strains of thought were enshrined in two movements: the protectionists and free-traders. These movements are still with us today - they make up the main tension in the Liberal and National Parties. This conflict is also seen in the Labor Party.

But conservatism is not protectionism. Burke was a big fan of Adam Smith and laissez faire markets. Burke would have been a big fan of Aldi and Air Asia.

I'm sure he would dig the bone-wearers too. The royal family are always rubbing noses with them. This is, after all, what the commonwealth is: a commonwealth of different nations and cultures who come together to share mutual interests.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:14am by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:22am

They not only sell it, they win wine show medals with it.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:25am

bogarde73 wrote on Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:22am:

Well, in the lower categories, sure.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #12 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:29am

Another way of looking at it is this.
They put their $5 bottle up against others in say the under $25 category and get medals.
Not exactly Grange but well in the mid-mass market.
As I've tried to explain to the unbelievers in the past, it's all in their superb business model.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #13 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:30am

Mattyfisk wrote on Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:25am:
bogarde73 wrote on Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:22am:

Well, in the lower categories, sure.

Dont mind a drop eh Karnal?

We so called christians are slowly educating you lot to all our vices.  Wink

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

athos
Gold Member

Re-educate barbarians

Hong Kong
Reply #14 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:35am

ALDI is good, Woolworts, Coles and IGA are bad guys.

Do we need to be always politically correct.
In the world of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print