Send Topic Print
A feel good story (Read 552 times)
Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
A feel good story
Feb 6th, 2016 at 10:30am

https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/44ahwg/awesome_queanbeyan_bus_driver...

I've been taking buses in Queanbeyan for 10 years now.

If you've taken buses in Queanbeyan you probably know the guy I'm talking about. We'll call him "A" because he's awesome. Asian dude who is always friendly as hell.

So today I'm reading my book on the bus. There are a couple of boys on their way home from school. Somewhere between 8-10 years old.

One kid gets off at a bus stop. I see him out the window and think it's a bit odd that he's covering his eyes. I go back to reading my book. Then a women at the front of the bus tells the driver that the boy is crying.

So the driver gets off the bus ("Oi mate, are you OK?") and after about two minutes of discussion he coaxes the boy back onto the bus. The kid is in tears because he doesn't know which stop he should have gotten off on. He doesn't know his street or phone number (I'm assuming he's new to the area).

"A" drove us back around the whole loop of that bus route, hoping to find a stop the kid recognized, before eventually driving us back to the kid's school, where he left the bus to help the distraught kid find a teacher.

I'm reminded of when a school janitor took me aside when I was 6 or so. I'll always remember that moment of kindness, and I think this kid will too.

Just a moment of human kindness from "A"" that I wanted to relate. Because it would be a bit awkward to tell him face-to-face.

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: A feel good story
Reply #1 - Feb 6th, 2016 at 11:49am

good on him.

If it were a liberal voting bus driver he'd be worried about the extra $5 off petrol costs and leave the boy to pay his own way.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Feb 6th, 2016 at 1:25pm

Good Samaritan story, Redneck.

When I first came to Australia I used to stand up for women in the bus ... bad mistake. It was culturally inappropriate as I soon discovered.

Same with moving aside when walking down a street and seeing a woman coming in the opposite direction towards me.

Grievous error of judgment. Culturally inappropriate.

I was so naive in those early days.

I've woken up since, though.

"Out of my way, bitch!" gets me admiring attention from Australian womenfolk who want their man to be an Alpha-male and not a beta-male girly-man wimp.

A woman standing on a crowded bus would just glance at me and then look away ... leaving me to sit down again with a red face.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2016 at 3:21pm

red... you wont believe this we had a fun start to the new school and the bus on Monday..

grandson starting catholic school I think you can guess which one...dad takes him to bus..points across the street thats where you get off.. both me and nan will be there..

sure enough at 3.30 I arrive...15 minutes later dad arrives by car..its boiling hot..at last 4.05 bus comes along...doesnt even look like stopping..dad jumps in car chases bus..I wander back to corner as I cant see where bus stopped...next thing another bus comes along...almost start running..[ i did say almost].. again bus keeps going..same way as the other one..I wait and wait.nothing eventually turn back to home and son in law is doing another u turn.. I jump in grandson is at m y daughters place in the next suburb..

he had got off the wrong stop and walked about 10 min to her place.... confusion...ok it all gets sorted.. as we thought..
next day same routine..dad takes him to bus stop..
I said I wouldnt meet the bus this time..just as well....

4o/c comes 4.10 comes...and by 4.15 I am ready to call the cops.. when in comes grandson...alone...

he isnt ready to talk...dad is not far behind..turns out for the  two days grandson has been getting on the wrong home bus...we knew he had two buses routes to choose from.. one leaves and arrives near the front of my place the other leaves and arrives at the shops....behind my place..

the bus he was meant to catch leaves from bay 7 at the school and the one he had been catching leaves from bus 3...... he now walks to the shops and walks home that way....so much easier... Grin Grin Grin

me and dad had a drink....and then a laugh I dont know who was more stressed....

so lovely reading that story as I told grandson he must always ask the driver if he needs help.. thats what they are there for.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2016 at 3:28pm

cods wrote on Feb 6th, 2016 at 3:21pm:
red... you wont believe this we had a fun start to the new school and the bus on Monday..

grandson starting catholic school I think you can guess which one...dad takes him to bus..points across the street thats where you get off.. both me and nan will be there..

sure enough at 3.30 I arrive...15 minutes later dad arrives by car..its boiling hot..at last 4.05 bus comes along...doesnt even look like stopping..dad jumps in car chases bus..I wander back to corner as I cant see where bus stopped...next thing another bus comes along...almost start running..[ i did say almost].. again bus keeps going..same way as the other one..I wait and wait.nothing eventually turn back to home and son in law is doing another u turn.. I jump in grandson is at m y daughters place in the next suburb..

he had got off the wrong stop and walked about 10 min to her place.... confusion...ok it all gets sorted.. as we thought..

4o/c comes 4.10 comes...and by 4.15 I am ready to call the cops.. when in comes grandson...alone...

he isnt ready to talk...dad is not far behind..turns out for the  two days grandson has been getting on the wrong home bus...we knew he had two buses routes to choose from.. one leaves and arrives near the front of my place the other leaves and arrives at the shops....behind my place..

the bus he was meant to catch leaves from bay 7 at the school and the one he had been catching leaves from bus 3...... he now walks to the shops and walks home that way....so much easier... Grin Grin Grin

me and dad had a drink....and then a laugh I dont know who was more stressed....

so lovely reading that story as I told grandson he must always ask the driver if he needs help.. thats what they are there for.

God that's a story and a half!

All's well that ends well!

I had one start on Monday as well. No dramas fortunately!

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 6th, 2016 at 3:33pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Feb 6th, 2016 at 3:28pm:
cods wrote on Feb 6th, 2016 at 3:21pm:

God that's a story and a half!

All's well that ends well!

I had one start on Monday as well. No dramas fortunately!

its beena few years for me red... as you can imagine and non of mine caught a bus...all walked...his dad leave in March so it will be just grandson and me.. so fingers crossed I am in a good place by then...lololol

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 9:20pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Feb 6th, 2016 at 10:30am:
https://www.reddit.com/r/australia/comments/44ahwg/awesome_queanbeyan_bus_driver...

I've been taking buses in Queanbeyan for 10 years now.

If you've taken buses in Queanbeyan you probably know the guy I'm talking about. We'll call him "A" because he's awesome. Asian dude who is always friendly as hell.

So today I'm reading my book on the bus. There are a couple of boys on their way home from school. Somewhere between 8-10 years old.

One kid gets off at a bus stop. I see him out the window and think it's a bit odd that he's covering his eyes. I go back to reading my book. Then a women at the front of the bus tells the driver that the boy is crying.

So the driver gets off the bus ("Oi mate, are you OK?") and after about two minutes of discussion he coaxes the boy back onto the bus. The kid is in tears because he doesn't know which stop he should have gotten off on. He doesn't know his street or phone number (I'm assuming he's new to the area).

"A" drove us back around the whole loop of that bus route, hoping to find a stop the kid recognized, before eventually driving us back to the kid's school, where he left the bus to help the distraught kid find a teacher.

I'm reminded of when a school janitor took me aside when I was 6 or so. I'll always remember that moment of kindness, and I think this kid will too.

Just a moment of human kindness from "A"" that I wanted to relate. Because it would be a bit awkward to tell him face-to-face.

Thanks red.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2016 at 10:32pm

Red that is such a great story. Many blessings on that awesome bus driver, and on all of you passengers for having the patience to wait through that little boy's journey.

My little fella i only 10 so i still drive him to and from school but it is a 30km round trip. I look forward to the time he can catch the bus (not yet) but it is encouraging to read of a similar little fella being looked after by his community.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print