Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print
The Majority Of Voters Say No To GST Increase (Read 10704 times)
crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: The Majority Of Voters Say No To GST Increase
Reply #165 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 7:44pm

John Smith wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 10:10am:
crocodile wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 9:23am:
John Smith wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 7:34am:
crocodile wrote on Feb 6th, 2016 at 10:35pm:
Because there's nothing to see. Corporate tax contributions to total government revenue have been steadily increasing since the early 80s. 10% in 1983 to the 20 something % today.

that increase is because companies that in the 80's used to make $1m profit, are now making $100m profit. They are paying a little more total tax (less in % terms) for a hell of a lot more profit.

Really. The return on investment figures for Aussie companies does not support your hypothesis.

http://www.ampcapital.com/AMPCapitalGlobal/media/contents/Blog/olivers-insights/...

If anything, corporate profits since the early 90s are only just above the bond rate. Another wood duck without a clue.

I didn't claim to have a clue I'm just trying to understand your rambling ... if you can't handle people not agreeing with you then perhaps forums aren't the thing for you.

Isn't the ROI on your graph the return to shareholders? If so, what has that to do with profits?

Sorry, but that's not what you wrote. You indicated that over thirty years corporate profits have improved 100 fold.

By the way, ROI is heavily linked to profit. Generally, no profit = no dividend, small profit = small dividend and large profit = large dividend. They may not correlate perfectly year on year but they do over time.

It may be construed that ROI is down if there are more shareholders holding smaller comparative stocks but the average price to earnings ratio does not support this.

This is obviously only applicable to listed companies as no data exists for private entities. It is safe to say that corporate tax take is progressively up despite reductions in the tax rate because there are more companies. That can't be such a bad thing.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #166 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 7:45pm

Bam wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 11:37am:
crocodile wrote on Feb 5th, 2016 at 10:55pm:
I say again:

Quote:
How can company tax be such a heavy deadweight loss when a lot of companies pay little tax anyway?

Really, a quick look at the budget shows that corporate taxes make up almost one quarter of the nation's entire federal budget. Now add in all the state's payroll taxes. Stop making stuff up.

http://taxreview.treasury.gov.au/content/html/Publications/papers/report/image/s...
An interesting chart that shows the burden of taxation falls predominantly on salary and wage earners.

Surprise. There are more wage earners than there are companies.

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #167 - Feb 7th, 2016 at 8:04pm

stunspore wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 10:39am:
crocodile wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 9:37am:
stunspore wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 7:22am:
Generous to assume he studied economics to know any textbook theory.

Any time you want to argue about the economics of what I've written I'd be happy to oblige. Now put up or piss off.

Sorry, did I offend?  I could try and debate, but it seems to mostly be talking to an ostrich with head in the sand sometimes.  Or that we don't seem to share values which is reflected in different perspectives.  One set of facts, multiple interpretations. 

Not offended just mildly annoyed. Your remark was uncalled for. I've not made disparaging remarks about you.

I actually find it astonishing that you can say I have my head in the sand when nothing I have written has been challenged on it's merits. Instead, the responses are along the lines of "Your graph is crap" with absolutely no supporting reasoning. At least I have produced links to the sources of what the essence of my claims are. They are all from reputable, scholarly sources including our own treasury.

I don't know your values so can't comment on any common ground. Suffice to say that I have attempted to demonstrate that the high levels of corporate tax ( compared to the rest of the developed world ) are felt to a greater extent by the actual employee than by the shareholder. It seems lost on some here that the concern is not only for economic growth but also not at the expense of hurting the workers. I have linked quite a deal of supporting study in this area. In return, nothing but jibes and comics. So far, nobody has been able to successfully challenge what I have written.

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #168 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 6:29am

Was listening to radio this morning.  Japan in 2014 increased GST from 5% to 8%  By end of year, hit recession.

Discretionary consumer spending will hit when prices go up...
You think companies will pay in salaries/wages when their tax burden goes down....

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #169 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 9:11am

stunspore wrote on Feb 8th, 2016 at 6:29am:
Was listening to radio this morning.  Japan in 2014 increased GST from 5% to 8%  By end of year, hit recession.

Discretionary consumer spending will hit when prices go up...
You think companies will pay in salaries/wages when their tax burden goes down....

No, that falls into the category of wishful thinking.

Sustained real wages growth is a consequence of productivity gains. In turn, labour productivity gains are the result of incremental improvements in technology over time to capital stock.

If you ask me whether I thought that companies would enhance production due to higher capital to labour ratios brought about by tax cuts, the answer would be a resounding yes. This is the primary reason why the suppliers of labour have much to gain.

Productivity growth of 3.5% translates to a doubling of real wages every twenty years while a 1.5% growth translates to a doubling of wages every 50 years.

The cited studies show a 1/3 to 2/3 split between capital and labour.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #170 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 10:34am

crocodile wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 7:44pm:
By the way, ROI is heavily linked to profit. Generally, no profit = no dividend, small profit = small dividend and large profit = large dividend. They may not correlate perfectly year on year but they do over time.

so your previous graph using ROI to highlight the increase in profits actually proved nothing. I'll put it to you that many companies, especially with the onset of FTA's and global trading, have put their profits into growth, buying smaller companies, and expanding  .... something that was not so prominent  when we were a more closed/protected economy.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #171 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 11:03am

Redmond Neck wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 10:47am:
The more often one sees Turnbull interviewed and questioned on raising the GST, the more I think its dead in the  water.

I agree

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #172 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 12:16pm

John Smith wrote on Feb 8th, 2016 at 10:34am:
crocodile wrote on Feb 7th, 2016 at 7:44pm:

so your previous graph using ROI to highlight the increase in profits actually proved nothing. I'll put it to you that many companies, especially with the onset of FTA's and global trading, have put their profits into growth, buying smaller companies, and expanding  .... something that was not so prominent  when we were a more closed/protected economy.

That's not quite the point John. Your assertion that companies are 100 times more profitable in nominal terms can't be true even with acquisitions. When another entity is acquired, the shares are too. The change in total shareholdings doesn't change as a result of an acquisition. The fall in ROI is therefore mostly a fall in expected profit.

At least the P/E considers the entire market capitalisation of the entity regardless of the number of shares on issue. This has fallen dramatically since the turn of the century, only just getting back to 2002 levels now. Despite progressive reductions in corporate tax, the collective taxes have doubled since the period began. It can really only indicate that there are simply more companies in relation to the size of the economy. It's really not a bad thing.

By the way, I accept that there have been many acquisitions of smaller entities over the years. I just don't agree that this has caused an increase in the tax slice given that the other indicators are down.

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #173 - Feb 8th, 2016 at 6:34pm

http://www.theguardian.com/business/grogonomics/2016/feb/08/were-spending-less-t...

Hmmm if spending is less, then with GST not much revenue growth - more discretionary spending would fall.  Ofc if business taxes and income taxes leads to reduced prices and more spending power - it might adjust for this.  If consumers have the confidence for it.

Generally though unlike the introduction of GST - prices will rise rather than a few goods fall (since GST replaced higher taxed products).  A pricing signal like that will make spending harder hence tax collection not simply "5% more".

If prices fall, this may trigger deflation making spending less attractive - you might decide to hold off purchase because you perceive prices might keep falling - although unlikely for long since the increase is once off -> but who knows the cumulative effects are.

Messy business.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print