Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Am I my magpies' keeper? (Read 20538 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Am I my magpies' keeper?
Reply #75 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 8:03am

my black bird is still coming for my white stones..he was here  this morning...I have noticed a few stones just here and there one even in the driveway.but put it down to the kids or even myself with my rake..however here he was this morning large as life...I have bought a new bag of mixed sized stones  it will be interesting to watch him choose the right one..he is very particular..

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #76 - Jun 30th, 2017 at 12:03pm

cods wrote on Jun 30th, 2017 at 8:03am:
my black bird is still coming for my white stones..he was here  this morning...I have noticed a few stones just here and there one even in the driveway.but put it down to the kids or even myself with my rake..however here he was this morning large as life...I have bought a new bag of mixed sized stones  it will be interesting to watch him choose the right one..he is very particular..

I had to laugh at your post Cods. It's not coming back for food, but stones. You'll probably have to buy another bag eventually.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #77 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 9:08am

mantra wrote on Jun 30th, 2017 at 12:03pm:
cods wrote on Jun 30th, 2017 at 8:03am:

I had to laugh at your post Cods. It's not coming back for food, but stones. You'll probably have to buy another bag eventually.

guess what mantra I did just that ... $25 worth at bunnings....its been well over two months now hes been coming.........he would have quite a stash now...maybe hes doing deals with other birds...lolol..for the bacon rind. of course.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #78 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 11:31am

cods wrote on Jul 1st, 2017 at 9:08am:
guess what mantra I did just that ... $25 worth at bunnings....its been well over two months now hes been coming.........he would have quite a stash now...maybe hes doing deals with other birds...lolol..for the bacon rind. of course.

He's probably sharing them with his relatives Cods. Still the pebbles would work out cheaper than fresh meat. Next year you'll probably have 2 or 3 big black visitors pinching the pebbles.

I had a lovely sight in my garden this morning. The native minors were going beserk the way they do when a cat dares walk into their territory. They were all perched on a huge old palm tree screeching crazily. There are wisteria vines wrapped all the way up the tree and around all the falling fronds and husks so a dozen or more nests have formed which some of the smaller native birds use. These nests are secure and well protected.

About a third of the way up the tree - I saw the sweetest little ringtail possum's face peaking out from a nest. It had a good look around then turned back inside, curled up and went to sleep.

The birds stopped screeching and went about their business. I think they wanted me to know I had another intruder in the garden. Just a guess of course.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Jul 1st, 2017 at 3:39pm

mantra wrote on Jul 1st, 2017 at 11:31am:
cods wrote on Jul 1st, 2017 at 9:08am:

He's probably sharing them with his relatives Cods. Still the pebbles would work out cheaper than fresh meat. Next year you'll probably have 2 or 3 big black visitors pinching the pebbles.

I had a lovely sight in my garden this morning. The native minors were going beserk the way they do when a cat dares walk into their territory. They were all perched on a huge old palm tree screeching crazily. There are wisteria vines wrapped all the way up the tree and around all the falling fronds and husks so a dozen or more nests have formed which some of the smaller native birds use. These nests are secure and well protected.

About a third of the way up the tree - I saw the sweetest little ringtail possum's face peaking out from a nest. It had a good look around then turned back inside, curled up and went to sleep.

The birds stopped screeching and went about their business. I think they wanted me to know I had another intruder in the garden. Just a guess of course.

how cute...  a nice wake up call...you sound as if you lie in a nice calming  place..the birds only get excited when something is happening....

maybe I have a crazy bird  with a white stone fetish.. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #80 - Jul 2nd, 2017 at 10:44pm

Birds by nature are attracted to all kinds of peculiar bits and peices- hair feather anything shiny etc- they use these bits and peices to build a nest/s - I think lyre birds build nests in the long grass and so they might be attracted to stones etc- there are a few birds that build on the ground in grass etc-

Last winter when SA was inundated with fierce windstorms a family of crows were nesting in my big gum tree out front and had baby birds had just hatched - they were twittering each morning and I used to watch the parents take turns in feeding these ravenous babies-

One afternoon a huge windstorm hit that town and the tree full force and I worried about the babies in the storm wondering if they would be blown down and so be at the mercy of cats etc- the next day and the day after no signs of life and I as resigned to thinking the worst had happened- then on the morning of the third day I hear the faint twittering of baby crows again- and from that day it was business as usual-
Birds are amazing creatures  but they didnt come back this year - not to my tree anyway

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #81 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 5:43am

Yes - Birds are amazing.
I used to watch them out at Fivebough Wetlands via a 'hide'. When a huge flock does a close flyby - well, that's an experience.

But, for me - the Galah has to be one of the dumbest birds.
And the sound of baby Corella's are annoying/irritating as hell.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk

Dogs not cats!

Reply #82 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 11:22am

The screeching of white cockatoos has to be the most godawful sound in the world! If I walk my dog along Sturt Creek near dusk there is a huge flock of the damn things screeching away, ugh!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #83 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 2:24pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Jul 3rd, 2017 at 11:22am:
The screeching of white cockatoos has to be the most godawful sound in the world! If I walk my dog along Sturt Creek near dusk there is a huge flock of the damn things screeching away, ugh!

We have plenty of them at my Golf Club.  They sure can make a racket.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Jul 3rd, 2017 at 4:54pm

Agnes wrote on Jul 2nd, 2017 at 10:44pm:
Birds by nature are attracted to all kinds of peculiar bits and peices- hair feather anything shiny etc- they use these bits and peices to build a nest/s - I think lyre birds build nests in the long grass and so they might be attracted to stones etc- there are a few birds that build on the ground in grass etc-

Last winter when SA was inundated with fierce windstorms a family of crows were nesting in my big gum tree out front and had baby birds had just hatched - they were twittering each morning and I used to watch the parents take turns in feeding these ravenous babies-

One afternoon a huge windstorm hit that town and the tree full force and I worried about the babies in the storm wondering if they would be blown down and so be at the mercy of cats etc- the next day and the day after no signs of life and I as resigned to thinking the worst had happened- then on the morning of the third day I hear the faint twittering of baby crows again- and from that day it was business as usual-
Birds are amazing creatures  but they didnt come back this year - not to my tree anyway

I dont think we have ground nesting birds in Canberra agnes...this is for sure a blackbird  black all over with a white iris  .. he wont have a bar of shiny stones 

even if this was a ground nest he was building by now it would have to be 3 feet tall...lolol a condominium maybe

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print