Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Am I my magpies' keeper? (Read 20518 times)
Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Re: Am I my magpies' keeper?
Reply #45 - Apr 12th, 2017 at 9:01am

Where are the socks, codsey?

Wear shoes with no socks and the shoes start to stink while being unwashable.

Back to the drawing-board with you, sister. Next time it'll be the Naughty Corner.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Apr 16th, 2017 at 7:42am

herb this morning I have had a blackbird... completely black...nicking my white stones again  it has been going on for about 3 qtrs of an hour.. no sooner gone with stone firmly clutched in beak than its back again..I have stones all over the front brick work  where he/she throws them around until they fit the beak right...it must have made off with over a dozen so far..its amazing to watch...I tried to google how a blackbird would use stones   but there isnt really anything....some of these stones are bigger than a 20cent piece....

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #47 - Apr 16th, 2017 at 10:11am

I googled it Cods and they eat the stones to aid digestion. Don't spray any weed killer near the pebbles.

I would have posted a bit of the article and a link, but the site is playing up.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Apr 16th, 2017 at 10:22am

mantra wrote on Apr 16th, 2017 at 10:11am:
I googled it Cods and they eat the stones to aid digestion. Don't spray any weed killer near the pebbles.

I would have posted a bit of the article and a link, but the site is playing up.

really... mantra these are big stones...you buy them by the bag in Bunnings garden dept...they are too big for their beak  the bird keeps dropping it until he gets it balanced I think in his beak...I find the odd one down the driveway as if its dropped it on the way out....I cant see them swallowing this I am afraid...I have also a lot of tiny stones.. yes previous owners must have had a stone farm somewhere...but they never go for them  its these largish  flatish smooth white ones they like.... I dont have a lot.. and they are diminishing every day.. lol..

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #49 - Apr 16th, 2017 at 12:31pm

Crows are huge birds with big beaks Cods, but maybe the birds visiting your garden aren't crows and are bower birds who build part of their nest with stones.

I have seen the tiniest of birds swallow mouthfuls of food the size of their head. It's not hard to believe crows wouldn't swallow stones the size of a 20 cent coin. They have a reputation for doing that.

There are a few large black birds around of different species. Some have red eyes, others yellow or orange eyes - the bower bird has blue eyes.

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #50 - Apr 16th, 2017 at 12:44pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Apr 12th, 2017 at 8:46am:
... the neighbour's balls dropping on my head ...

Really?

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

Unforgiven
Gold Member

I have sinned

Reply #51 - Apr 16th, 2017 at 12:46pm

mantra wrote on Apr 16th, 2017 at 12:31pm:
Crows are huge birds with big beaks Cods, but maybe the birds visiting your garden aren't crows and are bower birds who build part of their nest with stones.

I have seen the tiniest of birds swallow mouthfuls of food the size of their head. It's not hard to believe crows wouldn't swallow stones the size of a 20 cent coin. They have a reputation for doing that.

There are a few large black birds around of different species. Some have red eyes, others yellow or orange eyes - the bower bird has blue eyes.

https://museumvictoria.com.au/forest/images/mr004868_md.jpg

“I’ll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours” Bob Dylan

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 9:18am

mantra wrote on Apr 16th, 2017 at 12:31pm:

https://museumvictoria.com.au/forest/images/mr004868_md.jpg

the bird is completely black...

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #53 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 2:46pm

This is a crow.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #54 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 2:48pm

This is a Currawong.

« Last Edit: Apr 17th, 2017 at 2:57pm by Neferti »  

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #55 - Apr 17th, 2017 at 2:50pm

bogarde73 wrote on Dec 10th, 2015 at 3:13pm:
A pair of magpies and their chick started hanging round a few weeks ago so I put out a bit for them when I was feeding the dog.
Big mistake.

I've never heard a more whinging, petulant creature than this chick. It's there first thing in the morning, sitting on the TV aerial, waiting for me to feed the dog, and calling non-stop. It does this a few times a day as well.

GO PIES....................... Cool

Don't mess with nature.......... Wink

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Apr 18th, 2017 at 9:16am

Neferti wrote on Apr 17th, 2017 at 2:46pm:

I was too busy watching the way it picked up the stones to notice the colour of its eye...  will do the next time round...it makes a huge mess... which is fine....and must have pinched about 12 stones..lol...I have two cats so its quite bold...I would just love to see what they do with  them......

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:33am

he was back this morning and he has a white iris...

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #58 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 9:43am

It sounds like it's a raven Cods - a species of crow. They could eat the pebbles or just store them somewhere - no-one knows for sure. I hope one of your cats doesn't get him, but hopefully they are a bit wary of large birds.

Quote:
The Australian raven is distinguished from the Australian crow species by its throat hackles, which are prominent in adult birds. Older adult individuals have white irises, younger adults have a white irises with an inner blue rim, while younger birds have dark brown irises until fifteen months of age, and hazel irises with an inner blue rim around each pupil until age two years and ten months

One theory is that they hoard shiny objects to impress other ravens. Other research indicates that juveniles are deeply curious about all new things, and that common ravens retain an attraction to bright, round objects based on their similarity to bird egg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_raven

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #59 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 10:42am

mantra wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 9:43am:
It sounds like it's a raven Cods - a species of crow. They could eat the pebbles or just store them somewhere - no-one knows for sure. I hope one of your cats doesn't get him, but hopefully they are a bit wary of large birds.

Quote:
The Australian raven is distinguished from the Australian crow species by its throat hackles, which are prominent in adult birds. Older adult individuals have white irises, younger adults have a white irises with an inner blue rim, while younger birds have dark brown irises until fifteen months of age, and hazel irises with an inner blue rim around each pupil until age two years and ten months

One theory is that they hoard shiny objects to impress other ravens. Other research indicates that juveniles are deeply curious about all new things, and that common ravens retain an attraction to bright, round objects based on their similarity to bird egg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_raven

no not a raven mantra no hackles...I want to catch it landing as it has a particular habit when it lands that separates it from other crows....

it could not possibly eat these pebbles they are flat and smooth.. and dont fit in the beak..

and no they dont go for shiny things mantra thats a myth.. but they are smart  so there has to be a reason....and they are messy...lolol...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print