Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Am I my magpies' keeper? (Read 20536 times)
mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Am I my magpies' keeper?
Reply #15 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 10:48am

Black Orchid wrote on Dec 24th, 2015 at 11:48am:
Magpies have a beautiful song reminiscent of the Australian bush.

When I was living on a property I found a Magpie after a storm.  It honestly sounded like it was saying "helppp".  It was fairly big (but probably quite young) and I picked it up and looked after it. 

I put it on the washing machine and lowered a cage over it and we fed it with a large paddle pop type stick.  After a couple of days I removed the cage permanently and it just sat there.  Unfortunately we had visitors one night and I TOLD them NOT to try to feed it but, alas, our friend's girlfriend did exactly that.  She let go of the feeding stick and the bird swallowed it.  I gently massaged its chest until it regurgitated the stick but the next day the poor thing was dead.

At the time our neighbour told me how Magpies can actually talk and how one used to wake up his grandfather, on their farm, every morning saying something like "Wake up Bill".

I never knew they could talk but I have since found out that this is quite correct.

What a horrible story BO, but unfortunately these things happen sometimes.

You can always tell a baby by its dark beak - they don't start to whiten until they're about 6 months old.

bogarde73 wrote on Dec 10th, 2015 at 3:13pm:
A pair of magpies and their chick started hanging round a few weeks ago so I put out a bit for them when I was feeding the dog.
Big mistake.

I've never heard a more whinging, petulant creature than this chick. It's there first thing in the morning, sitting on the TV aerial, waiting for me to feed the dog, and calling non-stop. It does this a few times a day as well.

About 4 years ago I started supplementing a family of magpies - the babies are endearing, but it's only after watching the breeding cycle during this period, that I know I've made a huge mistake.

Still the small birds were long gone before the magpies came. In too many areas now they fall prey to cats, hawks and disappearing habitat.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #16 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 2:09pm

Still feeding them (but just a little). I like having them around.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #17 - Dec 26th, 2015 at 5:23pm

bogarde73 wrote on Dec 26th, 2015 at 2:09pm:

Most favoured Father of most favoured eldest female Grandchild has a pair of kookaburras arrive on a window sill every day for a feed. 

Used to be the same thing at the Half Way Canteen at my Golf Club.  Buggers got big, greedy and had no fear.  So......shop shut for them.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #18 - Dec 27th, 2015 at 2:03am

Of course you are.. you are the keeper of every living thing that falls within your province, and it is your duty as the top of the chain to care for them when needed.

If I said otherwise my Blue Tongues and swallows and wag-tails would object.... also got some red parrots.... bewdiful...

Young maggies have grey feathers that gradually blend to the glossy black and white....

Oh - property is sold and during negotiations I advised the buyers that we had very tame Blue Tongues and that I trusted their dogs would not chew on them.... the lady said her labrador might lick one..... no cats or nasty dogs allowed.... hundreds of trees and bushes for the small birds planted here and we have a symbiotic relationship with the Blue Tongues... I say hello to them when we meet and they eat snails for me.

I had Rainbow Lorikeets who had me as part of their daily feed run... dawn sharp on the window demanding sliced pears....
« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2015 at 2:11am by Grappler Truth Teller Feller »  

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #19 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 7:39am

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Dec 27th, 2015 at 2:03am:
Oh - property is sold and during negotiations I advised the buyers that we had very tame Blue Tongues and that I trusted their dogs would not chew on them.... the lady said her labrador might lick one..... no cats or nasty dogs allowed.... hundreds of trees and bushes for the small birds planted here and we have a symbiotic relationship with the Blue Tongues... I say hello to them when we meet and they eat snails for me.

I had Rainbow Lorikeets who had me as part of their daily feed run... dawn sharp on the window demanding sliced pears....

It's wonderful if you can maintain the environmental balance, but when you have to leave - you know that few people would be able to continue your legacy. Still as long as you try and pass the message on about caring for living creatures - whether they are native or exotic, you are doing what you can. We're not supposed to feed native animals, but when they haven't got enough natural food left, maybe they do need some help. It might just keep their species going for a little longer.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #20 - Dec 30th, 2015 at 7:40am

Aussie wrote on Dec 26th, 2015 at 5:23pm:
bogarde73 wrote on Dec 26th, 2015 at 2:09pm:

Most favoured Father of most favoured eldest female Grandchild has a pair of kookaburras arrive on a window sill every day for a feed. 

Used to be the same thing at the Half Way Canteen at my Golf Club.  Buggers got big, greedy and had no fear.  So......shop shut for them.

That is wrong - giving them a generous food source - then cutting it off suddenly. Next time try and do the humane thing and reduce it gradually.

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #21 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 6:31am

ian wrote on Dec 23rd, 2015 at 10:23pm:
AiA wrote on Dec 11th, 2015 at 10:36am:
My poor wife once got her lip torn open by a magpie at Cottlesloe Beach. We were walking along a sidewalk and man in a unit above us was leaning out his window waiting for it to happen knowing about the nest. Rather than warn us he laffed after it happened. Had he been within striking distance I would have punched him in the throat.

ha ha! So that was you.

Yes, it was. And later I went back to your unit to punch you and your girlfriend opened the door saying you were not in. She then begged me to bone her and as ugly as she was I did. Kinda like a hate "f"U'c"K" but she loved it.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #22 - Jan 1st, 2016 at 4:36pm

AiA wrote on Jan 1st, 2016 at 6:31am:
My poor wife once got her lip torn open by a magpie at Cottlesloe Beach. We were walking along a sidewalk and man in a unit above us was leaning out his window waiting for it to happen knowing about the nest. Rather than warn us he laffed after it happened. Had he been within striking distance I would have punched him in the throat.

ha ha! So that was you.

Yes, it was. And later I went back to your unit to punch you and your girlfriend opened the door saying you were not in. She then begged me to bone her and as ugly as she was I did. Kinda like a hate "f"U'c"K" but she loved it.

And there we have a typical PA post from a PA Moderator and former Admin.  Bloody disgraceful.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #23 - Jan 2nd, 2016 at 5:38am

AiA wrote on Jan 1st, 2016 at 6:31am:

ha ha! So that was you.

Good old Andrew Peacock ..  Grin

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #24 - Jan 2nd, 2016 at 6:35am

Am I my magpies' keeper?

My uncle was feeding the Kookaburras each evening. They would all come around and sit in the trees with their kookaburra laugh waiting to be fed. After a while the magpies got onto the lurk and would be lining up with the Kookas.

In the end the Kookaburras would be laughing and you would go out and find a line of Maggies with no kookas in sight.

The Magpies were imitating the Kookaburra laugh. It was very funny.

An interesting thing about Kookaburras is that the first time I went to Qld was the first time that I has seen a northern kookaburra. At that time around Sydney and the central coast and further north you only seen the southern kookaburra. Now in this area all I ever see in the Northern bird. Have not seen a southern Kookaburra in decades.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #25 - Jan 2nd, 2016 at 8:14am

Dnarever wrote on Jan 2nd, 2016 at 6:35am:
In the end the Kookaburras would be laughing and you would go out and find a line of Maggies with no kookas in sight.

The Magpies were imitating the Kookaburra laugh. It was very funny.

That happens to me a lot with various birds. I hear the magpies or the lorikeets calling out - walk outside and there are only a couple of minor or wattle birds looking at me. As objectionable as the Indian minor birds are - they are excellent mimics. Thankfully their numbers in my area have been greatly reduced since the larger birds have taken over. They are one of the biggest threat to the smaller birds as they raid nests. They even try to kill each other.

The lorikeets are good imitators too and have a great magpie cry.

I'm on the Central Coast and I might see a Southern kookaburra every couple of years or so.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 11:46am

Wish I knew what happened to my magpies.
There was a family of 3 and I'm sure they were feeding another chick.
I was feeding them every morning and then suddenly about 2 months ago they were just gone.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #27 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 11:58am

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 8th, 2016 at 11:46am:
Wish I knew what happened to my magpies.
There was a family of 3 and I'm sure they were feeding another chick.
I was feeding them every morning and then suddenly about 2 months ago they were just gone.

Same here.  There used to be a family of 5 that came to my lawn every day.  I saw ONE magpie the other day.  No sign of the usual squawk of the babies either. Very odd.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 12:09pm

I thought maybe they'd been shot but they never seemed to leave my property.
Them I thought, there's a guy up the road a bit who bates foxes & dogs, maybe they picked up a bait. But that's unlikely too, he doesn't bait here.

Maybe it's just some seasonal migration and they'll be back one day looking for a feed.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #29 - Nov 8th, 2016 at 12:21pm

I'll let this thread know if my lot return .... they have been coming here for years ....  I used to talk to them and they were so tame that they would come right up to me ....... suddenly only one Maggie one day, last week. Very odd.

I haven't had swooping Magpies here for years and years ....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print