Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
does anyone use a Sodastream machine (Read 1450 times)
cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

does anyone use a Sodastream machine
Nov 19th, 2015 at 5:57pm

I enjoy drinking soda water...however it contains sodium...I would like to buy one of these machines/gadgets... but cant find out if the soda water would contain the same amount of sodium as buying it ready made....in this heat I like a fizzy drink.. but everything is full of sugar or salt..any advice out there would be appreciated..

plus buying a bottle of ready made soda water you have to drink it straight away...or its flat...

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Re: does anyone use a Sodastream machine
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2015 at 11:10pm

If your regulations are anything like ours the flavor additive will list ingredients in descending order of amount. We bypass many products because of some of the contents and buy similar ones that don't pump up taste with chemicals, excess sugar or salt.

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Reply #2 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 2:02am

Bloody hell do they still make them?

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #3 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 5:43am

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 2:02am:

Yes you can still gat a toaster, milkshake machine or waffle maker as well.

I have never had one but was always tempted to give it a go but this year am going for an iced tea maker from T2 as my daughter loves Iced tea.

In my case I love the idea of it (iced tea) am mostly disappointed by the taste but found a fruity flavour that I like cold.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 6:14am

Mortdooley wrote on Nov 20th, 2015 at 11:10pm:
If your regulations are anything like ours the flavor additive will list ingredients in descending order of amount. We bypass many products because of some of the contents and buy similar ones that don't pump up taste with chemicals, excess sugar or salt.

thanks for that.. I am not interested in flavors just soda water....so I know no sugar...I well have to ask at a shop that sells them...... if you check the sugar and salt content in most things... its a shock...we really have no idea what they are pumping into our systems... dont get me started on colours...

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 6:15am

Dnarever wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 5:43am:

I have never had one but was always tempted to give it a go but this year am going for an iced tea maker from T2 as my daughter loves Iced tea.

In my case I love the idea of it (iced tea) am mostly disappointed by the taste but found a fruity flavour that I like cold.

iced tea maker.. never heard of it....would that make iced coffee as well do you think???...

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 6:18am

cods wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 6:14am:

thanks for that.. I am not interested in flavors just soda water....so I know no sugar...I well have to ask at a shop that sells them...... if you check the sugar and salt content in most things... its a shock...we really have no idea what they are pumping into our systems... dont get me started on colours...

Yes I like the red soda machines or the normal silver ones. My Aunt had one with a red gun at the top which stuck with me, it just seems to be the expected colour, I don't know if blue is even allowed.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 6:54am

Dnarever wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 6:18am:
cods wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 6:14am:

Yes I like the red soda machines or the normal silver ones. My Aunt had one with a red gun at the top which stuck with me, it just seems to be the expected colour, I don't know if blue is even allowed.

your a bad boy dna.. you know thats not what I meant...lolol...

I like small.. I find these gadgets take up too much room...so I will go for small the colour secondary..if I had a coordinating kitchen people might think I can cook..

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 7:01am

cods wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 6:15am:

iced tea maker.. never heard of it....would that make iced coffee as well do you think???...

You don't have to have it really it is just a container with an appropriate filter to mix the tea and keep the leaves separate and to hold and dispense the Tea, handy or convenient method not essential. Don't think it would be very good for coffee.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 7:08am

Dnarever wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 7:01am:

You don't have to have it really it is just a container with an appropriate filter to mix the tea and keep the leaves separate and to hold and dispense the Tea, handy or convenient method not essential. Don't think it would be very good for coffee.

so is it just your everyday tea bags...I always have to have BOILING water on my tea bag   to me it has to cook...so if you use iced water it wouldnt work....

coffee is the same it needs brewing ....

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 8:09am

Cods

Re the Soda stream, I have one stored in the back of the cupboard like all these fad things. ( My son bought it , personally I didnt much like their flavours)

Anyway I have just checked the gas bottle it says contains 330g of CO2. Makes 40 litres of drink.

The Good Guys have them

Hope that helps.

« Last Edit: Nov 21st, 2015 at 8:21am by Redmond Neck »  

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 8:21am

Redmond Neck wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 8:09am:
Cods

Re the Soda stream, I have one stored in the back of the cupboard like all these fad things. ( My son bought it , personally I didnt much like their flavours)

Anyway I have just checked the gas bottle it says contains 330g of CO2. Makes 40 lires of drink.

The Good Guys have them

Hope that helps.

oh thats interesting thanks redmond..I can hope that doesnt convert into sodium...I cant get my head around how that aerates..water.. but then I dont think I am meant too.... as you have not tried it.. you cant tell me if it works a treat...I find sodawater a real thirst quencher..I dont like sweet.. so flavoring wont be a problem...

as you say most of these gadgets end up at the back of the cupboard lost forever..... or under the bed...lolol

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 8:28am

cods wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 8:21am:
Redmond Neck wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 8:09am:
Cods

Anyway I have just checked the gas bottle it says contains 330g of CO2. Makes 40 lires of drink.

The Good Guys have them

Hope that helps.

oh thats interesting thanks redmond..I can hope that doesnt convert into sodium...I cant get my head around how that aerates..water.. but then I dont think I am meant too.... as you have not tried it.. you cant tell me if it works a treat...I find sodawater a real thirst quencher..I dont like sweet.. so flavoring wont be a problem...

as you say most of these gadgets end up at the back of the cupboard lost forever..... or under the bed...lolol

No the weights, snow board and guitar are under his bed.

They work alright although I have found sometimes the bottles seem to lose gas pressure if stored for long periods, this may have been due to me using an old bottle and not tightening the lid hard enough..

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:11am

I've got one. They are great. I was buying a lot of soda water already - trying to cut down on my soft drink consumption, and also trying to keep up my fluid levels. It costs about a third of what the cheapest home brand soda water costs. I started a thread here a while back where I counted the number of bottles you get out of a gas canister.

They add sodium to the bottled stuff I believe in order to stop stuff breeding in it - eg algae. When you make it yourself, it is only water and carbon dioxide. Unless there is some chemistry going on I am not aware of.

It is also good added to fresh orange juice 50/50.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:15am

freediver wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:11am:
I've got one. They are great. I was buying a lot of soda water already - trying to cut down on my soft drink consumption, and also trying to keep up my fluid levels. It costs about a third of what the cheapest home brand soda water costs. I started a thread here a while back where I counted the number of bottles you get out of a gas canister.

They add sodium to the bottled stuff I believe in order to stop stuff breeding in it - eg algae. When you make it yourself, it is only water and carbon dioxide. Unless there is some chemistry going on I am not aware of.

so can you do all the flavours on them? cola? lemonade, lemon squash etc?

I've never used one or even seen one used.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #15 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:42am

John Smith wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:15am:

http://www.sodastream.com.au/flavours-1/

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #16 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:50am

cods wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 7:08am:
Dnarever wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 7:01am:

so is it just your everyday tea bags...I always have to have BOILING water on my tea bag   to me it has to cook...so if you use iced water it wouldnt work....

coffee is the same it needs brewing ....

No the mix is the trick the one I have found that I like is a mixed fruit with something blended with a sweet apple tea. It is cold sweet and fruity, I would hate it hot.

I love my hot black tea but it is terrible cold IMO. I currently have a steaming hot extra strong twinning's English breakfast 18% empty served in a large smoky glass cup. It not only tastes great but looks great too but unfortunately it is now half empty. I don't know why but tea is never half full but if it were the last 10% would not be the best.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:54am

cods wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 7:08am:
.I always have to have BOILING water on my tea bag

make it hot then leave it to cool down. Once it's cool enough, refrigerate it.

If you make a large jug it should last you 2 or 3 days.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:55am

Redmond Neck wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:42am:

thanks

hmm, I might have to get one.

I drink a lot of soft drink but want to get off it.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #19 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:56am

Yes some flavours are not real good though - it is just a trigger controlled device that uses a carbonated pressurised capsule to force carbonated gas into the liquid to form soda water and add the flavour you like or as in Cod's case not.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #20 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 10:04am

John Smith wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 9:55am:

thanks

hmm, I might have to get one.

I drink a lot of soft drink but want to get off it.

It does look tempting.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 10:42am

You can get cordial style flavour additives. You get some free with the machine. I never bothered using them. Apparently the ginger ones are good.

A tip - ignore the lights on the machine. They are useless. Pump the gas in till you hear it squeal.

Sometimes you get ice forming on the tip which can prevent proper gassification. I usually interrupt it a few times which allows it time to melt the ice a bit and it gets blasted off.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 11:23am

You can use a sodastream or the old fashioned Soda Syphon. They merely carbonate the water. The only salts will be what's in the water supply, until you add flavours.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 3:53pm

freediver wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 10:42am:

You can get cordial style flavour additives. You get some free with the machine. I never bothered using them. Apparently the ginger ones are good.

A tip - ignore the lights on the machine. They are useless. Pump the gas in till you hear it squeal.

Sometimes you get ice forming on the tip which can prevent proper gassification. I usually interrupt it a few times which allows it time to melt the ice a bit and it gets blasted off.

now you have got me worried I bought one today.....its being delivered...so cant run a test it is the sodastream one..all looks unremarkable... but we shall see.... anything with more than an on/off switch and I am in trouble...

No flavors for me.... but I see where they do the Tonic as well...which would be nice for those who like a mixed drink....these small bottle are dear I find...but are so handy just for their size....I mean unless you have kids who drinks 1.25lt in one go??>..and its flat in a tick....

well to me it is...but then we all know how hard to please I am...lolol

all that feedback was great thank you...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 4:00pm

Read all the instructions and you'll be fine. They are a very simple machine.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #25 - Nov 21st, 2015 at 4:06pm

cods wrote on Nov 21st, 2015 at 3:53pm:
now you have got me worried I bought one today.....its being delivered...so cant run a test it is the sodastream one..all looks unremarkable... but we shall see.... anything with more than an on/off switch and I am in trouble...

No flavors for me.... but I see where they do the Tonic as well...which would be nice for those who like a mixed drink....these small bottle are dear I find...but are so handy just for their size....I mean unless you have kids who drinks 1.25lt in one go??>..and its flat in a tick....

well to me it is...but then we all know how hard to please I am...lolol

all that feedback was great thank you...

Good luck with it, Cods.  I prefer water from the tap.  Can't stand fizz.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print