Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nonreligious children are more generous (Read 1013 times)
Kytro
Gold Member

Blasphemy: a victimless
crime

Adelaide
Nonreligious children are more generous
Nov 6th, 2015 at 12:43pm

Quote:
Religious doctrines typically urge the faithful to treat others with compassion and to put the greater good before selfish interests. But when it comes to generosity, nonreligious kids seem to be more giving, according to a new study of 1170 children from around the world. Children from religious homes—particularly Muslims—also showed a greater inclination to judge someone’s misdeeds as wrong and punish the perpetrators. The study, the first large-scale analysis of its kind, suggests that religion and moral behavior don’t necessarily go hand-in-hand for children.

“Our findings support the notion that the secularization of moral discourse does not reduce human kindness. In fact it does just the opposite,” says Jean Decety, a developmental neuroscientist at the University of Chicago, in Illinois, and the study’s lead author.

Past research has already called into doubt the common stereotype that religious people are more moral than their nonreligious brethren. In surveys, religious people report higher levels of charitable activity. But it’s not clear whether this is accurate or an exaggeration. It’s also unclear whether the altruistic spirit is mostly confined to other members of their religion. In actual tests of generosity, there are also mixed results. One study found both religious and nonreligious people shared more money with a stranger after reading sentences containing religious words such as “spirit” and “God.” But people were also more generous after reading words associated with secular authorities such as “police.” Another study found that more religious people were just as likely as less religious people to bypass a stranger in distress.

The new research, done with children in six countries (Canada, China, Jordan, Turkey, South Africa, and the United States), included 510 Muslim, 280 Christian, and 323 nonreligious children. The study, the first to take such a large-scale look at how religion and moral behavior intersect in children from across the globe, focused on one facet of moral behavior: altruism, or the willingness to give someone else a benefit that also comes with a personal cost.

The test revolved around that ubiquitous childhood currency, stickers. Children ages 5 to 12 met individually with adults who let them choose 10 of their favorite stickers. The children were then told that the adults didn’t have time to distribute the rest of their stickers to other kids in a fictive class. But each child was told they could put some of their 10 stickers in an envelope to be shared with other kids, who were described as being from the same school and ethnic group. The scientists used the number of stickers left in the envelope as a measure of altruism.

The children from nonreligious households left 4.1 stickers on average, a statistically significant difference from Christian children (3.3) and Muslim ones (3.2). Also, the more religious the household, based on a survey of parents, the less altruistic the child. The child’s age, socioeconomic status, and country of origin also played a role, but not enough to override the effect of religious differences, according to the study. In older children, the split was most stark, with religious youth increasingly unlikely to share.

Kids in the study also watched short videos in which one child did something bad to another, such as shoving. The children then ranked how mean they thought the incident was, and how severely they wanted the instigator punished. Nonreligious children tended to rank the incidents as less mean. Muslim children on average gave the highest rankings and sought harsher punishments than either their Christian or secular counterparts. Decety says he is unsure why this is the case.

Link

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Nonreligious children are more generous
Reply #1 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 3:27pm

I hardly ever post an agreement when I often do. So, I may seem contrary. Right off, I do not like the title of this article. Its inflammatory and a claim that is not proven, but it is written like a statement of fact. This tends to make the writer seem biased against religion. The sticker test is pretty flimsy. The measured ratio of 3.2 to 4.1 stickers does not convince me that one group is more moral than another, which is the claim.
Furthermore, we all did things as kids that we probably would like to have done better.

The subject of punishment levels is a bit easier to quantify. The children of Muslims were harsher than those of Christian and Secular parents. (I use "children of" because children have not had the time to develop any understanding of religion.) As most Muslims are tribal Middle Eastern and Asian, such things as perceived slights and revenge will be more important to them than Christians and Secular parents. I believe this is due to the enlightening influence of secular society on Christianity which was once administered with great cruelty. Christians have been dragged, kicking and screaming, out of the dark ages by three hundred years of Western social progress and public education. This may not be the case in small sects, but they are minorities with little influence.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Kytro
Gold Member

Blasphemy: a victimless
crime

Adelaide
Reply #2 - Nov 7th, 2015 at 3:44pm

issuevoter wrote on Nov 7th, 2015 at 3:27pm:
I hardly ever post an agreement when I often do. So, I may seem contrary. Right off, I do not like the title of this article. Its inflammatory and a claim that is not proven, but it is written like a statement of fact. This tends to make the writer seem biased against religion. The sticker test is pretty flimsy. The measured ratio of 3.2 to 4.1 stickers does not convince me that one group is more moral than another, which is the claim.
Furthermore, we all did things as kids that we probably would like to have done better.

I tend to agree that title is inflammatory, but the results of the study are statistically significant. It's correlation, not causation. I disagree that with it being really about morality, it was about an aspect of generosity.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Dec 10th, 2023 at 4:55pm

This Topic was moved here from Atheism by freediver.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print