Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A nice little surprise. (Read 1024 times)
Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

A nice little surprise.
Aug 17th, 2015 at 4:45pm

Some years back I was in the fortunate position to learn the art of sword play (Fencing in other words).

This became a decade (or so) long journey for me that was, for the main part, awesome fun.

I have been invited to attend a theatrical fight centre (stunt fighting) tonight to teach the basics of how to fight with a sabre.

Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of the world, but I have to say I am a bit excited to be going and the surprise was, it came from a bloke I trained about twenty years ago.

Off to have some fun...

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Just when I thought there would be no real calling for that skill in the twenty firs century, lol.

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Johnsmith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: A nice little surprise.
Reply #1 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 4:47pm

Phemanderac wrote on Aug 17th, 2015 at 4:45pm:
(Fencing in other words).

I need a new fence ... want to give me a quote  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

sounds interesting .... a dying skill I'm sure. Enjoy!

When politicians offer you something for nothing, or something that sounds too good to be true, it's always worth taking a careful second look.
(Malcolm Turncoat)

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 4:51pm

Nice one Phem. I've always wanted to learn sword play. Looks so cool.

Hope you have a blast ..  Smiley

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #3 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 5:21pm

Some years back I was in the fortunate position to learn the art of sword play (Fencing in other words).

This became a decade (or so) long journey for me that was, for the main part, awesome fun.

I have been invited to attend a theatrical fight centre (stunt fighting) tonight to teach the basics of how to fight with a sabre.

Not really a big deal in the grand scheme of the world, but I have to say I am a bit excited to be going and the surprise was, it came from a bloke I trained about twenty years ago.

Off to have some fun...

Just when I thought there would be no real calling for that skill in the twenty firs century, lol.

Nice, it is somewhat of a dying art, sadly

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 5:29pm

Quote:
Just when I thought there would be no real calling for that skill in the twenty firs century, lol

Since my daughter has been in a casting agency, some years ago, over in a Geelong quarry, they (an American film crew) were filming the remake of Noah's Ark with John Voight.....and then the medieval club was called in to do the fighting with swords....it was really cool to watch, and made me realize, what a skill it is, and lovely to know that this sort of stuff exists, and even nicer to know that they are used for films via casting agencies/film makers etc.

It was a lot of fun we had doing that 2 day event.
The reason the Americans were doing a lot of filming here in Oz, was because if, for example, it cost $40million over in the US, it was half that here in Oz, due to our dollar being worth less than .50c of theirs at the time.

At least the aussie extras and skilled swordsmen got loads of interesting work as a result of the dollar being the way it was....probably about the only positive I could think of for that...loll....

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 6:48pm

Off to have some fun...

amazing my grandson now 11 is Copenhagen is learning fencing...he loves it...I went to see him training a was quite enthralled when the older boys came in all dressed up in the uniform it really was quite exciting.... it was his choice to do it.. and is I believe quite good at it.. of course I knew he would be..but you are the first person I have heard of actually doing it...not sure about the sabre part but I am sure it will bring back lots of good memories....

thank you for that... my family come back next year and I asked what will happen with the fencing I have been told they have a group here but we will see its up to him of course...I hope ,he keeps going as it seems to be a lost art..

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 17th, 2015 at 6:50pm

Sophia wrote on Aug 17th, 2015 at 5:29pm:
Quote:
Just when I thought there would be no real calling for that skill in the twenty firs century, lol

Since my daughter has been in a casting agency, some years ago, over in a Geelong quarry, they (an American film crew) were filming the remake of Noah's Ark with John Voight.....and then the medieval club was called in to do the fighting with swords....it was really cool to watch, and made me realize, what a skill it is, and lovely to know that this sort of stuff exists, and even nicer to know that they are used for films via casting agencies/film makers etc.

It was a lot of fun we had doing that 2 day event.
The reason the Americans were doing a lot of filming here in Oz, was because if, for example, it cost $40million over in the US, it was half that here in Oz, due to our dollar being worth less than .50c of theirs at the time.

At least the aussie extras and skilled swordsmen got loads of interesting work as a result of the dollar being the way it was....probably about the only positive I could think of for that...loll....

to watch Errol Flynn swing his way through a movie with a sword in his hand.. was something to behold..

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 12:58pm

good luck, sounds like fun

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 3:53pm

Thanks everyone for your well wishes and stories.

Yes I think fencing may be a dying art to some degree, however, it's still alive and kicking in some places.

Last night was interesting to say the least. A very big mix of people from Theatre fight people to Medieval reenactors, to actors, martial artists a dancer and of course some Star Wars nerds... lol.

The main focus of the place seems to be around stunt fighting in all of its forms predominantly for theatre, film/television and live gigs (Think Comicon for example...)

When my mate introduced me to the owner of the business the guys eyes almost literally lit up - fencing apparently was the one BIG gap in their repertoire - added to that I had done a fair bit of other fight related stunt work he seemed pretty stoked.

A very funny moment for me was when he asked if I would be their "fencing master" starting next term and I said no...

My former (sadly now deceased) teacher was a genuine Master Fencer in the truest sense of the word, I explained that the title would not sit well with me, however, I would be happy to teach or share what I know. When I initially said no, the faces in the group were priceless. I am possibly a wee bit evil I suspect at times...

So, starting next term (yep they follow school terms generally) I will be teaching some of the basics of fencing and putting together some Choreography for them to practice  what they know, beyond that who knows.

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2015 at 11:43pm

How good is that ?

Smiley

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 12:23pm

Awesome Phem. As Kurt Vonnegut would say, "If that isn't nice, i don't know what is".  Smiley

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 5:25pm

Thanks guys, I have to admit to being a wee bit stoked.

Grin Grin

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 5:37pm

well done as you say a dying art form.. and we need to stop these things from disappearing altogether.. surely we will soon get bored with flying cars read exploding.. and people being able to run up buildings.....

swashbuckling I love it...dont forget the warm ups and cool downs...good luck..

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 5:43pm

cods wrote on Aug 19th, 2015 at 5:37pm:
well done as you say a dying art form.. and we need to stop these things from disappearing altogether.. surely we will soon get bored with flying cars read exploding.. and people being able to run up buildings.....

swashbuckling I love it...dont forget the warm ups and cool downs...good luck..

LOL, sadly Cods, I think the walk along the driveway to their building is my warm up these days....

As to the flying cars, I don't think I would get bored with them, however, working out a sword fight scene involving them might be exciting too... A win win perhaps.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 19th, 2015 at 5:44pm

And thank you also...  Embarrassed shoulda said that first probably.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print