Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 
Send Topic Print
Can you support atrocities and human rights? (Read 41524 times)
polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Can you support atrocities and human rights?
Reply #225 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 9:56am

freediver wrote on Sep 6th, 2015 at 9:06am:
Lets start with western liberal morals. What do you mean by that? So far my assumption is that you made it all up on the spot and it is meaningless waffle, made all the more ironic by your demands that we appreciate your sincerity and your rejection of my debating style for getting too detailed. I have no idea why you think I am getting hung up on the meaning of standard bearer. It is your lack of meaning I have been asking about.

I really wasn't joking when I stated before that I have explained it at length - reply #95 to be precise. It was one of those posts that you responded to with one of your usual brain-dead sentence-by-sentence replies. So of course I ignored it. Its a shame that you didn't feel the need to engage me sensibly then - as you seem interested in doing now. But feel free to refresh your memory to find the answer to your question - and feel even more free to engage me on it sensibly.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #226 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 10:26am

Reply 95 is your usual attempt to destroy the meaning of freedom of speech. My response was not brain-dead. I pointed this out in detail - obviously too much detail for you. So here, over 100 posts later, is the simple version - you admitted to not knowing what the 'solution' is. You claimed freedom of speech, interpreted as 'the right to say something you might not like' is a distortion of the true meaning of freedom of speech, which you appear to have access to, but cannot say what it is.

The right to be offensive is the be-all and end-all of freedom of speech Gandalf. No-one is ever going take away your right to agree with everyone else and bullshit them with mindless platitudes.

You claim to be the standard bearer for something you do not comprehend, then demand we accept your sincerity without question. If you truly did believe yourself to be the standard bearer for freedom of speech, you would not freely interchange this with meaningless terms like 'western liberal morals' while accusing people who do attach real meaning of being 'wishy washy'. You spend far more time attacking the only meaningful interpretation of freedom of speech than standing up for it.

When you claim to be the standard bearer for western liberal morals, is your own unidentified, unknowable version of freedom of speech the extent of your meaning?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #227 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 11:02am

freediver wrote on Sep 6th, 2015 at 10:26am:
The right to be offensive is the be-all and end-all of freedom of speech Gandalf.

Laughable coming from someone who sets up a forum with swear word sensors, and whose official policy is to censor/ban people for making personal insults (though rarely enforced). Presumably for FD 'the right to be offensive' is the be-all and end-all - except in forums and conversations he organises himself. Makes sense right?  Cheesy

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #228 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 11:40am

polite_gandalf wrote on Sep 6th, 2015 at 11:02am:
The right to be offensive is the be-all and end-all of freedom of speech Gandalf.

Laughable coming from someone who sets up a forum with swear word sensors, and whose official policy is to censor/ban people for making personal insults (though rarely enforced). Presumably for FD 'the right to be offensive' is the be-all and end-all - except in forums and conversations he organises himself. Makes sense right?  Cheesy

You are confusing a particular organisation's code of conduct or standards of interaction with the principle of rights.

THere are such a rights as freedom of conscience and speech in general. Thou shalt not suffer to be offended is not, however, such a right.  You can take offence, of course, as you like. It's just not your right to demand that you be sheltered from what may offend you.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #229 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 1:16pm

Like I said, I often find myself having to explain this concept to people here, including you plenty of times. Freedom of speech does not mean compulsion on anyone else's behalf to publish you.

What version of freedom of speech are you the standard bearer for?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #230 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 6:17pm

freediver wrote on Sep 6th, 2015 at 1:16pm:

Like I said, I often find myself having to explain this concept to people here, including you plenty of times. Freedom of speech does not mean compulsion on anyone else's behalf to publish you.

What version of freedom of speech are you the standard bearer for?

You've tried to explain it many times before- but each time you miss the point.

You just stated your conviction that offending is the be-all and end-all of freedom of speech - yet when you have the opportunity to facilitate free discussion of your own, the first thing you do is impose restrictions on people's ability to offend. Its not about what you do and don't have a right to publish, its you demonstrating what you think is important and whats not in a forum of public discussion: and your actions are a clear contradiction to your stated testament that offending is the be-all and end-all of free speech.

It just proves that you actually agree with me - that this BS about offending being so awfully important for free speech is rubbish in practice. Free speech gets along just fine here despite the ban on insulting others. You'll probably find that the justifications some well-intentioned people give for arguing for restrictions on offending in public (that you would no doubt berate)  - are not so different from the ones you use for refusing to publish offense here.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2015 at 6:23pm by polite_gandalf »  

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #231 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 7:09pm

Quote:
You just stated your conviction that offending is the be-all and end-all of freedom of speech - yet when you have the opportunity to facilitate free discussion of your own

Free speech has nothing to do with facilitation. It is a freedom, not a compulsion.

What version of freedom of speech are you the standard bearer for? The one where people are compelled to facilitate? You have spent the best part of 10 pages avoiding saying what you are the standard bearer for, and now you are trying to change the subject again.

Quote:
Its not about what you do and don't have a right to publish, its you demonstrating what you think is important and whats not in a forum of public discussion

No Gandalf, it is demonstrating your complete misunderstanding of what you claim to be a standard bearer for. There are all sort of standards and cultures in online forums. Me choosing one for this forum says nothing about what I consider to be important in general. I use a variety of online forums that I consider to be important despite having completely different standards to the ones I set here.

Quote:
and your actions are a clear contradiction to your stated testament that offending is the be-all and end-all of free speech.

No they are not Gandalf. You would be right if I stated that freedom of speech implies a compulsion to publish. Like I keep explaining to you, over and over again, I do not think this.

This is just another attempt by you to undermine freedom of speech by destroying its meaning while pretending to support it. That is why this discussion is now about my interpretation of freedom of speech - because you have none, despite claiming to be the standard bearer for it.

Quote:
It just proves that you actually agree with me - that this BS about offending being so awfully important for free speech is rubbish in practice.

If you have an alternative interpretation of freedom of speech, beyond "I don't know what the answer is", now would be the time to put it forward Gandalf. I cannot agree with you if you do not claim to know anything about it.

Quote:
Free speech gets along just fine here despite the ban on insulting others.

You seem to think free speech is a person Gandalf.

Quote:
You'll probably find that the justifications some well-intentioned people give for arguing for restrictions on offending in public (that you would no doubt berate)  - are not so different from the ones you use for refusing to publish offense here.

Of course. They would probably be exactly the same. The difference being that I am not using that argument to restrict anyone's freedom of speech. Once more, very slowly for you - freedom of speech is not a compulsion on others to publish. You'll notice the internal consistency in my argument here - I apply the same standard to myself as I do to others. Your argument is no less stupid than those who argued against free speech for Charlie Hebdo because even they exercise editorial control. You can only make this argument because you attach no meaning to freedom of speech, or actively seek to undermine any meaning, and that use it with a different meaning from sentence to sentence.

You have previously criticised me for being some kind of freedom of speech extremist, at the same time as criticising me for not living up to the extremism you project onto me Gandalf. You are doing the same here. If you were sincere about being a standard bearer for freedom of speech (or 'western liberal morals' depending on how you want to spin it at the time) you would know what it meant instead of fumbling for a criticism of those who do.
« Last Edit: Sep 6th, 2015 at 7:29pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #232 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 8:04pm

FD the type of "standards and culture" as you put it, chosen for any given online forums are presumably chosen because it reflects the owner's personal beliefs and values. It wouldn't make much sense otherwise. In your case, you've presumably come to the realisation that having a political discourse that involves hurling personal insults is neither helpful or constructive, and therefore is better left out of it. It therefore makes absolutely no sense for you to then turn around and say, actually, offending is the be-all and end-all of free speech. Of course it would be completely different if you said its important that people are not prevented from offending (as I do) - but not to say its the be-all and end-all. You really did score an own goal there.

freediver wrote on Sep 6th, 2015 at 7:09pm:
What version of freedom of speech are you the standard bearer for? The one where people are compelled to facilitate? You have spent the best part of 10 pages avoiding saying what you are the standard bearer for, and now you are trying to change the subject again.

I'm not changing the topic, I'm attempting to clarify it for you. My version of freedom of speech is one where offense is frowned upon, not celebrated, and militantly pursued as the 'be-all and end-all' of free speech. Its a version that is not afraid to say (for example) that Charlie Hebdo were bigots who deliberately tried to profit from hate - *NOT* to think that the only way to stand up for free speech is to make silly empty gestures of "solidarity" with bigots. Its a point that you are clearly conflicted over in your own mind. The values you at least pay lip service to in the administration of this forum (though admittedly rarely enforce), that personal insults are not conducive to political debate and should be left out of it, is so obviously at odds with your blustering about offense being 'the be-all and end-all' of free speech. And if you are incapable of understanding your own confusion, there's obviously little hope of you understanding my position - which is in fact based in very large part to critiquing and rejecting views like yours that give rise to the perpetuation of what I call fake morals and faux threats - which are the very things I see as the greatest threat to our freedom of speech.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #233 - Sep 6th, 2015 at 9:03pm

Quote:
FD the type of "standards and culture" as you put it, chosen for any given online forums are presumably chosen because it reflects the owner's personal beliefs and values.

I don't make a habit of swearing and insulting people in real life either. This does not mean I think the government should dictate what offence is permissible.

Quote:
In your case, you've presumably come to the realisation that having a political discourse that involves hurling personal insults is neither helpful or constructive, and therefore is better left out of it.

Correct. My decision was based on what I see as most encouraging for political debate, rather than my own personal standards. It was a strategic decision. I would prefer not to have to babysit people at all, but I know that would not work.

Quote:
It therefore makes absolutely no sense for you to then turn around and say, actually, offending is the be-all and end-all of free speech.

Yes it does. Here's another way of putting it "I may not like what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." This does not mean I think free speech excludes polite speech. Rather, it means that offence is the first to go when freedom of speech is undermined. It is no no way inconsistent to have the strictest personal standards while defending the right of others to have far lower standards. This is what freedom of speech means. It is the essence of all forms of freedom.

Quote:
Of course it would be completely different if you said its important that people are not prevented from offending (as I do) - but not to say its the be-all and end-all.

You are splitting hairs here Gandalf. I am not going to argue with you over the meaning of be-all. Freedom of speech includes the right to say things that people find find offensive. It includes the right to mock Muhammed, and to do so exclusively, inelegantly and in poor taste. Whether this is truly the "be-all" is more meaningless waffle. However it absolutely must include that, and such offence is the first target of the censor, and the particular case of mocking Muhammed is at the pointy end of current global efforts to erode freedom of speech.

Quote:
The values you at least pay lip service to in the administration of this forum (though admittedly rarely enforce), that personal insults are not conducive to political debate and should be left out of it, is so obviously at odds with your blustering about offense being 'the be-all and end-all' of free speech.

They are entirely consistent, because, as I keep telling you, free speech implies no compulsion to publish. Me making an entirely strategic decision in the running on this forum that is completely detached from my views on freedom of speech does not contradict those views on freedom of speech in any way. You keep insisting that it is obviously at odds with my views, but you are yet to explain how, because it relies on you ignoring what I actually say.

Freedom of speech says nothing at all about what is right, what is constructive, what is moral, ethical or good, and you confuse the issue to insist it does, and to use the term interchangably with morals. You would replace freedom of speech with a whole gamut of conflicting personal values instead of just letting it be what it simply is. You insist that this is a distortion of what freedom is, but it is the essence of freedom. You are free to be an ass, but choosing not to be is not a rejection of freedom or a different kind of freedom, because you are equally free to not be an ass. The choice you make is irrelevant to the meaning of the freedom you are exercising.

This is why you have such trouble pinning down what you are a standard bearer for.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #234 - Sep 7th, 2015 at 7:53am

freediver wrote on Sep 6th, 2015 at 9:03pm:
Freedom of speech says nothing at all about what is right, what is constructive, what is moral, ethical or good, and you confuse the issue to insist it does

Absolutely - true freedom doesn't, but your distorted "freeeeedom" does, and thats my whole point. Freeeeedom is only about offending muslims and other minorities as loudly and as oboxiously as possible, and labelling those who try and protest against it as anti-freedom terrorist lovers. Its about hollow gestures of "solidarity" with bigots and being too scared to call them out for what they are - bigots. You said it yourself FD - offending is the "be-all and end-all" - with the implicitly understood disclaimer that as long as its the right people you're offending of course.

Quote:

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #235 - Sep 7th, 2015 at 12:49pm

Quote:
Absolutely - true freedom doesn't, but your distorted "freeeeedom" does, and thats my whole point.

No it doesn't. I just said this to you about half a dozen ways Gandalf.

Quote:
with the implicitly understood disclaimer that as long as its the right people you're offending of course

Of course. I have been saying things without actually saying them again. Or even saying the exact opposite.

Gandalf do you find it surprising that people only go on about freedom of speech when others try to take it away? What do you expect might happen if there was a serious movement to make people too scared to openly mock Jesus?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #236 - Sep 7th, 2015 at 2:28pm

freediver wrote on Sep 7th, 2015 at 12:49pm:
No it doesn't. I just said this to you about half a dozen ways Gandalf.

Obviously I don't expect you to acknowledge your own delusions.

freediver wrote on Sep 7th, 2015 at 12:49pm:
Of course. I have been saying things without actually saying them again. Or even saying the exact opposite.

Gandalf do you find it surprising that people only go on about freedom of speech when others try to take it away? What do you expect might happen if there was a serious movement to make people too scared to openly mock Jesus?

Its not always about you FD. Marching down the street bravely standing up for free speech - while at the same time kicking down the door and arresting a blogger for saying rude things about jews - is clearly delineating who can and can't be offended under freeeeedom.

I oppose people who try and force people to stop expressing themselves. Fancy that! But what if I said part of freedom should be about standing up and condemning those who think offending people is an acceptable part of public discourse? Would you recognise the difference between frowing-upon and actually forcing people to stop offending? Would I be undermining freedom if I said Charlie Hebdo shouldn't be martyred as heroes of free speech, but instead should be condemned as irresponsible bigots who deliberately set out to profit from hate? Am I an apologist for terrorists, and therefore a de-facto enemy of freedom if I don't militantly declare my 'solidarity' with victims of terrorists who felt offended - and instead call on people to act more respectfully and that such attacks reflect genuine grievances felt by a segment of society that should be addressed?

Looks like we're finally back to my original thread topic: can I hold all the above views and still be a standard bearer for free speech?

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #237 - Sep 7th, 2015 at 3:00pm

freediver wrote on Sep 6th, 2015 at 9:06am:
Quote:
I am curious though what would qualify as a standard bearer of freedom in your mind - if starting an entire online forum in response to perceived lack of freedom, constantly lecturing us about freedom in terms of 'use it or lose it'  and proudly standing in "solidarity" with Charlie Hebdo doesn't make you one.

I am not going to complain too loudly if you do. My take on it is this - I support liberty, democracy and humanity. I believe I share this in common with most people around the world. I believe most people who live in stable democracies take these things for granted rather than actively supporting them and I would put myself in that basket until recently. When I started this site I was getting kicked off the fishing forums. While the intent was definitely anti-freedom, the practice was not, and I often find myself explaining this concept to people here. Being able to start my own website because I was not happy with the conduct of other site owners is a demonstration of the freedom of speech I already had. It was a protest in support of marine parks, carbon taxes etc, not a protest in support of freedom, and it did not occur to me to turn it into one. Even my electoral reform articles are not intended to promote democracy. It was also not that long ago that you conceded to me that there was nothing you are not allowed to say in Australia. We were both unaware of the holocaust denial laws. I would consider it arrogant to apply that label to myself.

Thanks for answering the question, FD. A good answer too.

A supplementary if I may: have your views on freedom changed since you started the site?

Please answer the question. I'd rather not start a new thread.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #238 - Sep 7th, 2015 at 8:20pm

Quote:
Obviously I don't expect you to acknowledge your own delusions.

Ah, so you still think I am sincere?

Quote:
Its not always about you FD. Marching down the street bravely standing up for free speech - while at the same time kicking down the door and arresting a blogger for saying rude things about jews - is clearly delineating who can and can't be offended under freeeeedom.

What are you ntrying to say Gandalf?

Quote:
I oppose people who try and force people to stop expressing themselves. Fancy that! But what if I said part of freedom should be about standing up and condemning those who think offending people is an acceptable part of public discourse?

It's either acceptable or it isn't Gandalf. You can't have it both ways. Whatever distinction you are trying to make here is too subtle for me. People usually consider free speech to imply the responsibility to speak out against wrong, but saying it is not an acceptable part of discourse sounds like the promotion of censorship. What you should be saying is that they have every right to say what they say, and they are idiots for saying it.

Quote:
Would I be undermining freedom if I said Charlie Hebdo shouldn't be martyred as heroes of free speech, but instead should be condemned as irresponsible bigots who deliberately set out to profit from hate?

Are you saying they should not be killed, or that they should not be considered martyrs?

Quote:
and instead call on people to act more respectfully and that such attacks reflect genuine grievances felt by a segment of society that should be addressed?

How should we address their grievances? If their grievance is that people mock Muhammed, I can't see any way to address it to their satisfaction. Maybe a one-way ticket to Saudi Arabia? A cup of concrete?

Quote:
A supplementary if I may: have your views on freedom changed since you started the site?

Not that I am aware of. I recall having a discussion about the meaning of freedom of speech with an American when I was an undergrad, and I recall being impressed by his answer, at least as it applied to free speech. I guess I don't take it for granted to the extent I used to.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #239 - Sep 7th, 2015 at 8:53pm

FD your problem is looking at this only in terms of a simplistic "allowed" or "not allowed" dichotomy. Maybe you're right, and the distinction is too subtle for you. In fact so much of this debate seems too subtle for you. For example how on earth you could come to the conclusion that the only, or even the primary grievance muslims feel over the cartoon furor is that people mock Muhammad - is beyond me.

Quote:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 
Send Topic Print