Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Send Topic Print
Can you support atrocities and human rights? (Read 41519 times)
polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: Can you support atrocities and human rights?
Reply #180 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 3:47pm

ho hum, another post of FD asking me the same old questions that have been answered ad-nauseum. If my explanations haven't registered by now, its pretty safe to say they never will. Why would I waste my time?

Gandalf decides to pass.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #181 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 4:45pm

No more backpedaling then Gandalf? Not even extending me the benefit of the doubt for my "faux threats" and "fake morals"?

So much for your sincerity eh?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

easel
Gold Member

Reply #182 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 4:51pm

I can support killings.

I can support methods used to influence the enemy.

eg, I would not PERSONALLY have a problem if a dead enemy combatant was dropped out of a plane on to a enemy base as a warning or a means to demoralise. If it was illegal then I would have a problem. If the military did it without oversight or other agency involvement it might be illegal.

I am a fan of the Phoenix Program of the Vietnam War. Because it worked. Not because it used questionable methods.

I can't condone torture or methods that interfere with my rationalisation of what gets you rewarded in the afterlife.

I am from a foreign government. This is not a joke. I am authorised to investigate state and federal bodies including ASIO.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #183 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 8:08pm

freediver wrote on Aug 27th, 2015 at 4:45pm:
No more backpedaling then Gandalf? Not even extending me the benefit of the doubt for my "faux threats" and "fake morals"?

Isn’t G answering you, FD?

How insincere of him.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #184 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 7:52am

freediver wrote on Aug 27th, 2015 at 4:45pm:

'backpedaling' is a word FD uses when he can't think of anything else to throw at me.

What does Gandalf mean by 'faux threat' and 'fake morals' FD? (hint: its in this thread).

By the way, why are you ignoring Karnal?

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #185 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 12:44pm

What is in this thread is you accusing me of fake morals and faux threats, then when I asked you what that means you waffled on about democracy in Iraq and unidentified western leaders not being consistent with each other. Then you offered to extend me the benefit of the doubt, without ever clarifying what I am being given the benefit of the doubt for. That is backpedaling Gandalf. It makes me doubt your sincerity.

Also, this little delusion about you being the standard bearer for modern western liberal morals is hardly something we have been over before either. Again, we are supposed to accept your sincerity despite your inability to explain what you mean.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #186 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 3:06pm

FD I was very specific about what I meant by fake morals and faux threats. Read it again. But I'm happy at least that you do seem to have finally identified my answer.

I was also very specific about what I extended you the benefit of the doubt over: you peddle fake morals and faux threats without seeming to know that they are fake and faux. Thus you are not deceitful like the people who manufacture them are. Though your shocking ignorance does seem to be largely willful. Cognitive dissonance I guess.

I couldn't imagine a person who believes in and is proud of his western liberal heritage who wouldn't consider themselves a "standard bearer" of western liberal morals - could you? I suppose your problem is not being able to conceive of a devout muslim who could hold such values. Or is it that I am never backward in identifying western moral atrocities and not kidding myself as to the turmoil and suffering it has caused throughout the world? Maybe you think that makes me ineligible for being a proud believer in true western values? If so, then you are wrong.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #187 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 5:53pm

freediver wrote on Aug 28th, 2015 at 12:44pm:
What is in this thread is you accusing me of fake morals and faux threats, then when I asked you what that means you waffled on about democracy in Iraq and unidentified western leaders not being consistent with each other. Then you offered to extend me the benefit of the doubt, without ever clarifying what I am being given the benefit of the doubt for. That is backpedaling Gandalf. It makes me doubt your sincerity.

Also, this little delusion about you being the standard bearer for modern western liberal morals is hardly something we have been over before either..

Very true, FD. This is a new one. You want G to say whether he’s the standard bearer for modern Western liberal morals.

But before he does that, FD, we need to know this: are you, or have you ever been, the standard bearer of modern Western .liberal morals?

No more evasion, FD. We need to know if you practice wishy washy Western morals.

Are you sincere?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #188 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 6:11pm

Here you go FD, this is a specific, non-waffly example of concocting a faux threat:

Quote:
A major policing operation planned for Melbourne's CBD this weekend has been cancelled after a backlash over plans to include Australian Border Force (ABF) officials in the crackdown.

Earlier, the ABF had said it would be checking people's visas on the streets of the city centre as part of the operation, which also involved Victoria Police and other agencies.

The original announcement quoted ABF regional commander for Victoria and Tasmania Don Smith as saying officers would be positioned at various locations around the city and would speak "with any individual we cross paths with".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-28/operation-fortitude-cancelled/6733008

Fortunately, it backfired.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #189 - Aug 28th, 2015 at 7:50pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 28th, 2015 at 6:11pm:
Here you go FD, this is a specific, non-waffly example of concocting a faux threat:

Quote:
A major policing operation planned for Melbourne's CBD this weekend has been cancelled after a backlash over plans to include Australian Border Force (ABF) officials in the crackdown.

Earlier, the ABF had said it would be checking people's visas on the streets of the city centre as part of the operation, which also involved Victoria Police and other agencies.

The original announcement quoted ABF regional commander for Victoria and Tasmania Don Smith as saying officers would be positioned at various locations around the city and would speak "with any individual we cross paths with".

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-28/operation-fortitude-cancelled/6733008

Fortunately, it backfired.

Oh, I don’t think FD will agree with you there, G. FD believes in Freeeedom.

If Operation Fortitude uncovers one Muslim suspect, it’s a worthy excercise, shurely.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #190 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 12:47pm

Quote:
FD I was very specific about what I meant by fake morals and faux threats.

It was specifically nothing at all to do with the accusations you leveled against me. It was vague waffle about democracy in Iraq and unidentified western leaders.

Quote:
I was also very specific about what I extended you the benefit of the doubt over: you peddle fake morals and faux threats

There you go again Gandalf. Without trying to change the topic to Iraq or western leaders, what are these fake morals and faux threats you accuse me of peddling?

Quote:
without seeming to know that they are fake and faux

Let's start with what they are before going into whether they are real.

Quote:
I couldn't imagine a person who believes in and is proud of his western liberal heritage

Are you talking about me Gandalf? When have I ever gone on about my own heritage Gandalf?

Quote:
who wouldn't consider themselves a "standard bearer" of western liberal morals - could you?

I have never considered myself a standard bearer for anything but my own ideas.

Quote:
I suppose your problem is not being able to conceive of a devout muslim who could hold such values.

Not just hold them, but be a standard bearer for them. What flag are you waving? Why are you afraid to identify what you are the standard bearer for?

Quote:
Or is it that I am never backward in identifying western moral atrocities and not kidding myself as to the turmoil and suffering it has caused throughout the world? Maybe you think that makes me ineligible for being a proud believer in true western values? If so, then you are wrong.

I consider you ineligible because you write off 800 people as a mindless collective of treacherous Jews in order to justify their murder. I consider you ineligible because you stumble over when it is appropriate to kill homosexuals. I consider you ineligible because you claim to confront, but in practice dismiss the threats to freedom and democracy from your fellow Muslims. I consider you ineligible because until recently, you spoke in support of censorship of holocaust deniers. I consider you ineligible because you are all over the place on some very fundamental issues. I consider you ineligible because you cannot even say what you are a standard bearer for.

Quote:

Am I the ABF Gandalf? Am I part of some grand conspiracy?

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #191 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 6:44pm

lol FD doesn't learn does he?

Ignored. Again.

Quote:

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #192 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 6:53pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 14th, 2015 at 11:05am:
I asked this question in a different thread, but didn't get any traction.

Perhaps it was in the wrong discussion, or I phrased it wrong. Its a shame because I think its a genuinely useful thing to discuss - just as a general principle.

Hiroshima and Nagasaki are relevant episodes here: tens of thousands of innocent men women and children were deliberately targeted and killed in order to bring about the end to a war.

There is no doubt that many people who profess to stand up for modern western principles of human rights also believe that Hiroshima and Nagasaki were justified - and that the two beliefs are not incompatible.

I am interested in people's thoughts in terms of the general principle - namely can you  support the deliberate mass slaughter of innocents (some might call it 'atrocities') and still profess to stand up for modern western principles of human rights? This is not an issue of whether you think they are "right" or "wrong" - but whether you accept that someone can be sincere in the belief in the two, and sincere in the belief that the two are compatible.

Letter to the Spectator:

"... suggestion that the 1945 nuclear bombing of Japan was “without any military or moral justification” (The Spectator 15 August 2015) is at best simplistic. The war in the Pacific cost hundreds of thousands of mostly American lives, as the Allied forces fought battles such as Guadalcanal, Tarawa and Peleliu places and conflicts that are in all likelihood unknown to Mr Wilson. The Japanese defence was characterised by its brutality to captured Allied soldiers, and there was abundant evidence that the Japanese would literally fight to the death. In mainland Japan, the militarist government had every intention of mobilising every single citizen against any land invasion.

The decisions to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki were complex, informed by the strategic information available at the time, and coloured by the bloody losses of the Pacific War. It is naïve, disrespectful and somewhat Eurocentric to describe them as ‘monstrous’ and unjustified.
http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-week/letters/9613292/letters-317/

I think this is the correctly balanced position.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #193 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 7:53pm

It was monstrous and unjustified if move away from this sort of waffly handwaving and look at the actual evidence: like the assessment of the US's own strategic bombing survey in its 1946 report:

Quote:
Based on a detailed investigation of all the facts and supported by the testimony of the surviving Japanese leaders involved, it is the Survey's opinion that certainly prior to 31 December 1945 and in all probability prior to 1 November 1945 [the date of the planned American invasion], Japan would have surrendered even if the atomic bombs had not been dropped, even if Russia had not entered the war, and even if no invasion had been planned or contemplated.

But hey, some people genuinely believe it was necessary - and thats the point of this thread. Just as I can't dismiss those people when they state their genuine regard to modern human rights etc - so too you can't dismiss muslims claiming the same, at the same time they believe the Banu Qurayza executions were necessary.

"suggestion that the 1945 nuclear bombing of Japan execution of the warriors amongst the Banu Qurayza was “without any military or moral justification” is at best simplistic.

Quote:

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #194 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 8:26pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Aug 31st, 2015 at 6:44pm:
lol FD doesn't learn does he?

Ignored. Again.

I say. He still won’t say if he practices wishy washy Western morals.

What’s wrong, FD? Cat got your tongue?

You ask Pussy to give it back.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 17
Send Topic Print