Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
GUN LAWS -- Australian Law vs. American Law (Read 9843 times)
Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

GUN LAWS -- Australian Law vs. American Law
Aug 11th, 2015 at 9:52am

GUN LAWS -- Australian Law vs. American Law

Pros & Cons

Present Day Law, History, & Legal Precedents

Australia has a Constitution, & America has a Constitution.

★ Were did our/their present day laws come from, & specifically where did the authority to institute these laws come from?    ...  Did the respective Gun Laws emanate from those documents, & if so, are they beholden to powers established specifically within those respective documents?  ...

★ What specific historical events, Australian & American, if any, preceded putting Gun Laws into effect?

★ What do you think about your gun laws, & if it applies in your opinion, what specific amendments, adjustments, & or modifications would you like to see  --  keeping in mind historical precedents & legal authorities, if any, expressed in the respective Constitution, as a guideline. ...   

★ Now, for a little excitement, I propose that ..... Australians are free to suggest laws in America, & Americans are free to suggest laws for Australia).

Let the bloodbath discussion begin!   Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2015 at 10:07am by Panther »  

"When the People fear government there is Tyranny;
When government fears the People there is Freedom & Liberty!"

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: GUN LAWS -- Australian Law vs. American Law
Reply #1 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 11:22am

Lets ban all guns!  Stop private ownership of all firearms.    Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 11:47am

|dev|null wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 11:22am:
Lets ban all guns!  Stop private ownership of all firearms.    Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

You should seek help for your hoplophobia
Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #3 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 11:50am

No valid argument or meaningful contribution (I guess??) Hot_Breath is just a Troll.... ...         ...
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2015 at 11:59am by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 12:18pm

Panther wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 11:50am:

No valid argument or meaningful contribution (I guess??) Hot_Breath is just a Troll.... http://imgur.com/MmJgF7o.gif         http://imgur.com/wgENiib.jpg

We should ignore the trolls.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 1:22pm

I am not a troll.  I am talking truth.  Guns cause more trouble than they ever could fix.  We don't need them.   Get rid of them!   Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 1:40pm

|dev|null wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 1:22pm:
I am not a troll.

You're a worthless troll. Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 2:12pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 1:40pm:
|dev|null wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 1:22pm:
I am not a troll.

You're a worthless troll. Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

Do you always declare those you disagree with as "trolls" Baron?   Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 2:13pm

OK so I'll post it here, less the reference to Obama.

There have been many claims that the Gun Laws have stopped any mass shootings in Australia and that therefore they are a success.

The Lyndt Cafe and Monis proved that they are a failure.
All the ingredients were there for a massacre.

Monis had a firearm - the laws didn't stop him from acquiring it.

Monis' firearm was prohibited by the gun laws - he still got it.
his firearm was illegally modified - the gun laws didn't stop the modification.

Monis didn't have a firearms licence - he didn't comply with the gun laws.

Monis took hostages - the gun laws didn't stop him.

Monis murdered one person - the gun laws didn't stop him.

Monis had it in his power to murder many more people - the gun laws didn't stop him, he was stopped by men with guns.

Anyone care to refute the above?

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 2:16pm

Laws don't stop crimes, they punish crimes.

Monis's crime doesn't fit the criteria of a "massacre".  Only one person died from his hand and two died from the hands of the Police.  Three isn't sufficient to justify it called a "massacre".

Keep grasping.  It's amusing to watch.   Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #10 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 2:24pm

Sir Eoin O Fada wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 2:13pm:

There have been many claims that the Gun Laws have stopped any mass shootings in Australia and that therefore they are a success.

Monis had it in his power to murder many more people - the gun laws didn't stop him, he was stopped by men with guns.

You posted this a few days ago and a shall repeat the answer.

The fact that a law is not 100% effective is no reason to repeal that law. For example.

Drink driving.

People are caught drink driving every day.

People are frequently killed by drink drivers,

People have kept drink driving even though it has become illegal.

All of my statements are true, but none of them create a case against drink driving laws.

P.S the Lindt cafe technically does not qualify as a "mass shooting" since the perpetrator only shot one person.

This is a mass murder
http://news.yahoo.com/texas-police-5-children-3-adults-found-dead-110223005.html

I guess its a shame that America doesn't have a gun control scheme, otherwise the perpetrator(with a long history of violent offences) may not have been able to get a gun, and shoot his whole family.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2015 at 2:31pm by Pho Huc »  

The law locks up the man who steals the goose from the common, but leaves the greater criminal loose who steals the common from the goose (convict saying)

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #11 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 3:28pm

Pho Huc wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 2:24pm:
I guess its a shame that America doesn't have a gun control scheme, otherwise the perpetrator(with a long history of violent offences) may not have been able to get a gun, and shoot his whole family.

I will answer this simply by quoting an answer I read a while ago.

No laws will ever prevent a criminal from obtaining a gun, or any other weapon for that matter, nor will any law ever stop that individual from committing any criminal act, if that individual is intent on committing the act.

If that Texas murderer had hacked those children to death with a machete, a knife, a hammer, a chain, a baseball bat, a cricket bat, or a chainsaw would the crime have been any less heinous to the anti-gun mob? Would they be out to stop people from owning  machetes, knifes,  hammers, chains, baseball bats, cricket bats, or  chainsaws with the same fervor?

How about petrol & matches. People have been doused & lit afire en masse......haven't they?

I've said it before, & will say it again, it isn't the tool of destruction that should inspire our lawmakers, it's the sick criminals that use them that need their undivided attention.....but, America does have a Constitution that says you have the legal means, an inalienable right, at your disposal to protect & defend yourself, your family, & your friends, from violent harm, & protect & defend your property from encroachment, theft &/or damage  --  a firearm

« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2015 at 3:48pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 3:41pm

|dev|null wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 2:16pm:

Monis's crime doesn't fit the criteria of a "massacre".  Only one person died from his hand and two died from the hands of the Police.  Three isn't sufficient to justify it called a "massacre".

Keep grasping.  It's amusing to watch.   Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

Monis Killed one and wounded 2 others before a good guy with a gun shot him dead, if it wasn't for the Police going in there would have been more killed by Monis.

He put a fist sized hole in the foot of the fat woman and a Policeman received shotgun pellets to his face.

The Police intervention is the only reason the bodycount was low.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 3:44pm

The USA prohibits convicted felons from owning guns.
That sounds like gun control schemes to me.

They have assault weapon bans and magazine limits in California,New York,Connecticut and Massachusetts.
In Qld a landowner can buy a Ruger SR762 yet an American in Ca,NY,Co and Ma cannot own one of these rifles.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 3:49pm

If our laws are so good why are they trying to change them to outlaw lever action shotguns using a terrorist with a pump action as justification for this ban?

If the Police find a shortened firearm in your safe while doing safe storage inspections they will seize it along with all your other guns and ammo, it's a serious offence to be in possession of a shortened firearm.

The laws did not make it more difficult for Monis to get this firearm that was prohibited in 1996, the 2 Uzi's found in the last 2 months show criminals can get what they want in Australia.

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #15 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:00pm

Panther wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 3:28pm:

I will answer this simply by quoting an answer I read a while ago.

No laws will ever prevent a criminal from obtaining a gun, or any other weapon for that matter, nor will any law ever stop that individual from committing any criminal act, if that individual is intent on committing the act.

If that Texas murderer had hacked those children to death with a machete, a knife, a hammer, a chain, a baseball bat, a cricket bat, or a chainsaw would the crime have been any less heinous to the anti-gun mob? Would they be out to stop people from owning  machetes, knifes,  hammers, chains, baseball bats, cricket bats, or  chainsaws with the same fervor?

How about petrol & matches. People have been doused & lit afire en masse......haven't they?

I've said it before, & will say it again, it isn't the tool of destruction that should inspire our lawmakers, it's the sick criminals that use them that need their undivided attention.....

If the Texas murderer has used a weapon other than a gun I wouldn't have used it a reference. 
Not all mass murder involve the use of a firearm, but the vast majority do.

Your not going to change human nature. Taken as a mass people demonstrate an ability to go full metal jacket at the drop of a hat for reasons incomprehensible to others. I accept that.

In regard to your statement that laws cannot prevent criminals access to guns I present Japan. Very tight gun laws.  has a population of 120 million. has approx 5 gun related deaths each year.

By the logic of More guns = less crime you would expect japan to have high crime rates. It does not.  Therfore the more guns=less crime is either totally incorrect or a massive over simplification.

The law locks up the man who steals the goose from the common, but leaves the greater criminal loose who steals the common from the goose (convict saying)

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #16 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:03pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 3:44pm:

They have assault weapon bans and magazine limits in California,New York,Connecticut and Massachusetts.
In Qld a landowner can buy a Ruger SR762 yet an American in Ca,NY,Co and Ma cannot own one of these rifles.

So a convicted felon cannot purchase a gun privately from a gun show with no paperwork?

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #17 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:04pm

|dev|null wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 2:16pm:

It was a potential massacre, it had all the ingredients and the gun laws did nothing to stop it.
Therefore they failed.
It's as simple as that, the antis keep saying that Australia is a safer place because of the gun laws; tell that to the law abiding folk in the Punchbowl-Bankstown area.

The only reason that Australia didn't have a massacre at the Lyndt Cafe is because of men with guns.

So keep grasping, it is indeed amus Winking to watch.

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #18 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:06pm

That's a shame. They are fine firearms. Wink

Why cant a law-abiding citizen living in a regional unit buy one? 

How many Ruger SR762s have ever been used to take, or attempt to take a human life anywhere in Australia since it's introduction?

I personally don't know of any.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:13pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #19 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:10pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 3:49pm:

If our laws are so good why are they trying to change them to outlaw lever action shotguns using a terrorist with a pump action as justification for this ban?

If the Police find a shortened firearm in your safe while doing safe storage inspections they will seize it along with all your other guns and ammo, it's a serious offence to be in possession of a shortened firearm.

The laws did not make it more difficult for Monis to get this firearm that was prohibited in 1996, the 2 Uzi's found in the last 2 months show criminals can get what they want in Australia.

I have no idea why the are outlawing lever action shot guns. I call knee jerk policy.
Its a stupid policy, you can legally own a pump action rifle in 45-70, and its easy to make crimped shot cartridges in this caliber. presto. totally legal pump action shot shooter.
But I digress.

Note that Monis was armed with one shotgun.
Many of the mass murders in the US have involved people armed with an assault rifle and a hand gun. Most of the people they kill are shot by the hand gun.

The fact that Monis could only get a shotgun, and not a assault rifle or handgun vindicates the law, not disproves it.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:15pm

Pho Huc wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:10pm:

I have no idea why the are outlawing lever action shot guns. I call knee jerk policy.
Its a stupid policy, you can legally own a pump action rifle in 45-70, and its easy to make crimped shot cartridges in this caliber. presto. totally legal pump action shot shooter.
But I digress.

Many of the mass murders in the US have involved people armed with an assault rifle and a hand gun. Most of the people they kill are shot by the hand gun.

The fact that Monis could only get a shotgun, and not a assault rifle or handgun vindicates the law, not disproves it.

They still have to change the firearms act before they can outlaw the Adler, non detachable magazines are unlimited for capacity.
police.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/file/0011/209477/FACT_SHEET_Firearm_Magazines_Oc...

The worst mass murder in the USA the Virginia Tech offender used pistols.

There are around 300 rifle homicides in the USA every year, rifle homicides include so called assault rifles.
About 600 people are killed with fists and feet every year in the USA.
There are over 6000 pistol homicides every year in the USA.

Of course the hoplophobes don't like these so called assault rifles which don't kill as many people as fists or feet let alone pistols.

The homicide rate for blacks is 6-7 times higher than for whites, is the gangsta rap culture partly responsible for that?

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #21 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:16pm

Panther wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:06pm:

How many Ruger SR762s have ever been used to take, or attempt to take a human life anywhere in Australia since it's introduction? I personally don't know of any.

None.  They are very difficult to get licensing for. You need to be a professional shooter.
Most professional shooters run rem700's or equivalent bolt actions.
When your shooting professionally wasting ammo is wasting money.
Same reason most sniper rifles are bolt action.

Semi's are for people who cant hit the target the first time.

or war.

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #22 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:16pm

What's the Japanese record for Sarin gas murders?

I'm sure no place else in the world can equal it.

How's the suicide rate in Japan these days?

Even when they had plenty of guns the knife or the rope were the favourite methods.

Last year the average was 70 suicides per day in Japan.

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #23 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:18pm

Pho Huc wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:10pm:

But I digress.

Vindicates the law?

How?

If he did use that shotgun to kill 5 to 8 of his hostages would you be whistling the same tune, would the law be so smugly vindicated, or would you be demanding another law to replace the obviously inadequate law that failed? Roll Eyes

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #24 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:19pm

"Semi's are for people who cant hit the target the first time."

and muzzle loaders are for people who can really shoot. Grin

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #25 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:22pm

Sir Eoin O Fada wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:16pm:
What's the Japanese record for Sarin gas murders?

Even when they had plenty of guns the knife or the rope were the favourite methods.

12 people died in the Sarin gas attack. Want me to list all the mass shooting in america with a death toll higher than that? irrelevant anyway.

Suicide rate is 50% higher than the US,  currently ranked 17th in world. Relevance.

RELEVANCE ?

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #26 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:23pm

Sir Eoin O Fada wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:19pm:
"Semi's are for people who cant hit the target the first time."

and muzzle loaders are for people who can really shoot. Grin

Where they are located means quite a lot. Some places semi's are so, so scary so ownership is banned, whereas in some places, like their MasterCard, some people wouldn't think of leaving home without one. Wink

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:24pm

Pho Huc wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:16pm:
Panther wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:06pm:

How many Ruger SR762s have ever been used to take, or attempt to take a human life anywhere in Australia since it's introduction? I personally don't know of any.

None.  They are very difficult to get licensing for. You need to be a professional shooter.
Most professional shooters run rem700's or equivalent bolt actions.
When your shooting professionally wasting ammo is wasting money.
Same reason most sniper rifles are bolt action.

Semi's are for people who cant hit the target the first time.

or war.

In Qld you don't need to be a Pro shooter to have Cat D semi auto, they have reversed the ban on semi auto centrefire for landowners.
A Queenslander can own semi autos that are prohibited in Ca,NY,Co and Ma.

All the Pro Shooters I know have semi autos, if you are hiring a Pro shooter you should expect them to have Pro firearms.

The NSW FAAST aerial culling course says double tapping with a semi auto .308w is the most humane method of shooting feral pests.

Lots of semi auto 50 cal sniper rifles,Barret makes a few.

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #28 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:24pm

Pho Huc wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:22pm:
[quote author=Eugene link=1439250768/22#22 date=1439273776]What's the Japanese record for Sarin gas murders?

The worst Sarin attack in recent times was in Iraq, Monsieur Hussein, against the Kurds.

12 people died in the Japanese sarin gas attack. Want me to list all the mass shooting in america with a death toll higher than that? irrelevant anyway.

Suicide rate is 50% higher than the US,  currently ranked 17th in world. Relevance.

RELEVANCE ?

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:26pm

Pho Huc wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:24pm:
[quote author=Eugene link=1439250768/22#22 date=1439273776]What's the Japanese record for Sarin gas murders?

The worst Sarin attack in recent times was in Iraq, Monsieur Hussein, against the Kurds.

12 people died in the Japanese sarin gas attack. Want me to list all the mass shooting in america with a death toll higher than that? irrelevant anyway.

RELEVANCE ?

Japan has very few guns so why is the suicide rate so high, if we listen to the hoplophobes banning guns is all you need to take care of the suicide problem.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #30 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:43pm

On the subject of Semi-Automatics, in America it might go this way:

Makes perfect sense, no?
  Wink

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #31 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:49pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 12:18pm:

No valid argument or meaningful contribution (I guess??) Hot_Breath is just a Troll.... http://imgur.com/MmJgF7o.gif         http://imgur.com/wgENiib.jpg

The opening posts allows suggested legislation on either continent - suggesting a ban on both is a valid suggestion.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #32 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:14pm

Dnarever wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:49pm:
Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 12:18pm:

The opening posts allows suggested legislation on either continent - suggesting a ban on both is a valid suggestion.

So, go for it.

HB has forfeited his right to me reading his trollish swill, so what he posts is his business...I just won't see a word.

From time to time I might secretly remove him from my personal ignore script to see if he's mended his trollish ways, & if he has I'll consider leaving him off my personal ignore, until then I can't see anything he posts unless someone quotes him. I've yet to resolve that little issue, but it's on my to do list. Wink

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #33 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:31pm

Panther wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:43pm:
On the subject of Semi-Automatics, in America it might go this way:

http://i.imgur.com/PBz5EQO.jpg

Makes perfect sense, no?
  Wink

Obviously her kids didnt go to Columbine or Sandy hook,

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #34 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:34pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 4:26pm:

RELEVANCE ?

Japan has very few guns so why is the suicide rate so high, if we listen to the hoplophobes banning guns is all you need to take care of the suicide problem.

I talking about murder rates, not suicide rates. getting rid of guns does reduce suicide mortality rates, but nowhere near as much as it effects murder rates,

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:45pm

Pho Huc wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:34pm:

RELEVANCE ?

I talking about murder rates, not suicide rates. getting rid of guns does reduce suicide mortality rates, but nowhere near as much as it effects murder rates,

If Japan got rid of the few guns they have how will that reduce their suicide rate?

Australia reduced firearm murder rates while increasing legal ownership of guns, in Australia more guns has resulted in less firearm crimes.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #36 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 6:31pm

RELEVANCE ?

It almost eliminates gun related accidents.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 6:41pm

Dnarever wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 6:31pm:

RELEVANCE ?

When you look at unintentional gun deaths (accidents) the numbers are fairly low.
2007- 4 deaths
2008 - 5
2009- 7
2010- 11
2011- 7
2012- 4
Those numbers are not just from hunters/target shooters it includes Police,security guards and Prison officers

Nearly 2000 people die every year from accidental falls

How many people die from rock fishing every year which is one of the more dangerous pastimes?

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #38 - Aug 11th, 2015 at 8:47pm

deleted due to a lack of ability to compose a cogent statement. long lloonngg day at work.
« Last Edit: Aug 11th, 2015 at 10:46pm by Pho Huc »  

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Aug 12th, 2015 at 10:13am

Panther wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:14pm:
HB has forfeited his right to me reading his trollish swill, so what he posts is his business...I just won't see a word.

Do you always declare those you disagree with as "trolls"?  I suspect so!  Makes your screen so much neater, hey?   Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Aug 12th, 2015 at 10:15am

Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 5:45pm:
If Japan got rid of the few guns they have how will that reduce their suicide rate?

Japanese society is too high-pressure, which is why they have a relatively high suicide rate.

Quote:
Australia reduced firearm murder rates while increasing legal ownership of guns, in Australia more guns has resulted in less firearm crimes.

Different firearms Baron.  Different firearms.  No semi-automatic guns = no gun massacres.  Funny that.    Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #41 - Aug 12th, 2015 at 7:53pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 6:41pm:
Dnarever wrote on Aug 11th, 2015 at 6:31pm:

RELEVANCE ?

When you look at unintentional gun deaths (accidents) the numbers are fairly low.
2007- 4 deaths
2008 - 5
2009- 7
2010- 11
2011- 7
2012- 4
Those numbers are not just from hunters/target shooters it includes Police,security guards and Prison officers

Nearly 2000 people die every year from accidental falls

How many people die from rock fishing every year which is one of the more dangerous pastimes?

I would guess those are Australian numbers where guns are largely restricted.

IP Logged

Sir Eoin O Fada
Gold Member

Australian Politics

New England, NSW
Reply #42 - Aug 12th, 2015 at 10:29pm

"Different firearms Baron.  Different firearms.  No semi-automatic guns = no gun massacres.  Funny that.    Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin"

Funny that, as some bolt action rifles can be fired faster than some semi-automatics, its the rate at which the gun can be fired that matters not the type of mechanism.

I recently was timed firing 15 aimed shots (that all hit the target) in one minute from a single shot rifle; mind you, I had been practicing.

Self defence is a right.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 12:34pm

Sir Eoin O Fada wrote on Aug 12th, 2015 at 10:29pm:
"Different firearms Baron.  Different firearms.  No semi-automatic guns = no gun massacres.  Funny that.    Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin"

Funny that, as some bolt action rifles can be fired faster than some semi-automatics, its the rate at which the gun can be fired that matters not the type of mechanism.

I recently was timed firing 15 aimed shots (that all hit the target) in one minute from a single shot rifle; mind you, I had been practicing.

And how often have gun nuts who commit massacres spent the time and effort to practice?   They use semi-automatic rifles for a reason, cause they are light, easy and affordable.

Care to point out a gun massacre committed in Australia in the last ~20 years which was committed with a bolt action rifle?    Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #44 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 3:03pm

|dev|null wrote on Aug 13th, 2015 at 12:34pm:

And how often have gun nuts who commit massacres spent the time and effort to practice?   They use semi-automatic rifles for a reason, cause they are light, easy and affordable.

Care to point out a gun massacre committed in Australia in the last ~20 years which was committed with a bolt action rifle?    Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

Have there been any mass shootings which didn't use self loaders?

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #45 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 3:47pm

Pho Huc wrote on Aug 13th, 2015 at 3:03pm:

Only one, I'm aware of.  Charles Joseph Whitman from the land of the free...   Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 4:02pm

Pho Huc wrote on Aug 13th, 2015 at 3:03pm:

New Zealand has had no mass shootings since 1996 despite having a similar frequency of mass shootings to Australia before that.

New Zealand allows hunters to have semi autos with sound moderators (silencers) why have they had no mass shootings if it's the gun as idiotic hoplophobes claim?
www.guncity.com/firearms/all-firearms/centrefire/semi-auto/223
www.guncity.com/firearms/all-firearms/ec-category-lic./ecategory/308

We had 8 people stabbed to death in Cairns and the worst mass murderer in NSW lit a fire, the hoplophobes will say a slow horrible death by stab wound or fire is better than being shot to death.
If a nutjob kills me I hope it's quick not a slow agonising death.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Aug 13th, 2015 at 4:38pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 13th, 2015 at 4:02pm:
If a nutjob kills me I hope it's quick not a slow agonising death.

So do we Baron!   Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #48 - Aug 22nd, 2015 at 3:41pm

Handgun sales spike in advance of Maine permit change

Source:
   NRA-ILA  http://bit.ly/1NBh48O Quote:
AUBURN — An upcoming change in Maine law that allows adults to carry a concealed handgun without a permit is triggering a spike in gun sales at some local shops.

John Reid, owner of J.T. Reid's Gun Shop in Auburn, said Tuesday that sales of handguns are up and he's ordered more firearms to keep up with the demand.

Reid said much of his new business is coming in response to a law that goes into effect in October. It essentially does away with the requirement in Maine that those carrying a concealed handgun first obtain a permit from police.

"People are showing a lot of interest in it, and I've ordered another 100 handguns to add to the inventory," Reid said. He said weapons popular for personal defense, such as 9 mm and .38-caliber pistols, were the top sellers.

Maine's recent law shift aligns the state with a few others in allowing so-called "constitutional" or "permitless" carry for adults who are not otherwise prohibited by state and federal law from possessing a firearm............CONTINUED

No
begging
the government for the Right to Carry a Pistol or Rifle for Self-Defense in Maine.
All they need is their 2nd Amendment, pass a background check, & within 48 hours or less they're good to go!

« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2015 at 6:13pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Aug 23rd, 2015 at 1:29pm

Quote:
A couple of new studies reveal the gun control hypesters worst nightmare..more people buying firearms,while firearm related homicides and suicides are steadily diminishing.

According to the Bureau of Justice statistics,US gun related homicides dropped 39% over the course of 18 years,from 18,253 in 1993 to 11,101 in 2011.

The march Pew study,also found a dramatic drop in gun crime over the past 2 decades.Their accounting showed a 49% drop in homicide rate.

www.forbes.com/sites/larrybell/2013/05/14/disarming-realities-as-gun-sales-soar-...

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #50 - Aug 30th, 2015 at 12:29pm

Walmart Discontinues Selling America’s Most Popular Rifle  --  The AR15

Source: 
     http://bit.ly/1KUt7ZY        Quote:
Americans acquiring the most popular rifle in the country will now be doing so only from traditional firearm dealerships and full-service sporting goods stores, which— as it happens —typically have the most extensive selections of firearms and accessories from which to choose, and employees who support the Second Amendment and who can answer firearm questions with expertise.

Walmart said this week that it will no longer sell AR-15s and other “semi-automatic weapons,” and from now on will sell only the kinds of firearms used “by hunters and people who shoot sporting clays and things like that.” The Associated Press reports that Walmart claims its decision wasn’t political, but was rather because sales of the rifle have declined.

Whether Walmart’s decision is political or purely business-driven warrants consideration. Time reports that Walmart stopped selling guns in a third of its stores in 2006, and the Huffington Post reports that the chain now doesn’t sell guns in two-thirds of its stores, even though over that time frame Americans’
annual firearm purchases tripled

Walmart had less than 5% of the National sales of America's overwhelmingly favorite semi-automatic hunting rifle, the AR15's, so nobody is losing sleep over this political decision.  Roll Eyes

Source:
Wikipedia  Quote:
As of 2012, there are an estimated 2.5-3.7 million rifles from the AR-15 family in civilian use in the United States.[50] They are favored for target shooting, hunting, and personal protection, and have become the most popular rifle in America.[51]

Conservatively, since 2012, the number of AR15s in civilian hands in the USA has increased considerably, where some estimate close to 5 million. Nobody really knows, because registration is optional at best.
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2015 at 1:03pm by Panther »  

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 12:53pm

Walmart bows to public pressure to stop selling guns?  Great!  Now we just need to clean up the rest of American society and make them respect the laws that were passed to control their behavior.   Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #52 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 1:51pm

Panther wrote on Aug 30th, 2015 at 12:29pm:
Conservatively, since 2012, the number of AR15s in civilian hands in the USA has increased considerably, where some estimate close to 5 million. Nobody really knows, because registration is optional at best.

How dumb

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 2:29pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Aug 31st, 2015 at 1:51pm:

How dumb

Canada dismantled their long gun registry when they figured out it cost over $2 billion and prevented or solved zero zip zilch crimes.

Rifles which include AR15's only account for around 300 firearm homicides a year in the USA,twice as many people are killed with fists and feet according to FBI stats.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 2:31pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 31st, 2015 at 2:29pm:
Canada dismantled their long gun registry when they figured out it cost over $2 billion and prevented ... zero zip zilch crimes.

There's no possible way to know if that's true.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #55 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 2:33pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 31st, 2015 at 2:31pm:
Canada dismantled their long gun registry when they figured out it cost over $2 billion and prevented ... zero zip zilch crimes.

The front line Canadian police say gun registration prevented and solved zero crimes,it cost over $2 billion.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 2:34pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Aug 31st, 2015 at 2:33pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Aug 31st, 2015 at 2:31pm:

The front line Canadian police say gun registration prevented ... zero crimes

Moreover, you know that.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Aug 31st, 2015 at 2:43pm

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Aug 31st, 2015 at 1:51pm:

How dumb

Canada dismantled their long gun registry when they figured out it cost over $2 billion and prevented or solved zero zip zilch crimes.

Yet Canadian police officers nearly all said the opposite Baron!   Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #58 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 2:48pm

What do Brits think of their Gun laws, & what do they think is wrong with them?

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #59 - Sep 1st, 2015 at 2:57pm

They look drunk.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #60 - Oct 1st, 2015 at 8:08am

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 1st, 2015 at 2:57pm:
They look drunk.

That speaks volumes pertaining to your personal perceptions doesn't it!  Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin

Seriously, does anyone see these people all being drunk?   Roll Eyes

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #61 - Oct 1st, 2015 at 9:43am

They';re British, it goes with the territory.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #62 - Oct 1st, 2015 at 10:19am

If the Police find a shortened firearm in your safe while doing safe storage inspections they will seize it along with all your other guns and ammo, it's a serious offense to be in possession of a shortened firearm.

How serious? In the land of the brave you saw off a shotgun or file down serial numbers on a gun you're looking at some qualified prison time.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Panther
Gold Member

My Heart beats True for
the Red White & Blue...

Reply #63 - Oct 1st, 2015 at 5:36pm

Panther wrote on Oct 1st, 2015 at 8:08am:
Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Sep 1st, 2015 at 2:57pm:
They look drunk.

That speaks volumes pertaining to your personal perceptions doesn't it!  Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin

Seriously, does anyone see these people all being drunk?   Roll Eyes

Prime Minister for Canyons wrote on Oct 1st, 2015 at 9:43am:
They';re British, it goes with the territory.

Your choice of namesake would then speak volumes about you.

'
Live FREE or DIE!
'

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #64 - Oct 1st, 2015 at 9:14pm

He's lying no respectable Aussie drinks VB

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print