Send Topic Print
Divided gnats (Read 9932 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Divided gnats
Jul 22nd, 2015 at 7:16am

Liverpool Plains coal mine: Shenhua project approval divides federal and state Nationals

There is a political fight brewing on the Liverpool Plains over the federal and state governments' approval of the Shenhua Watermark coal mine.

The Nationals are split over the rubber stamping of the controversial mine, with Federal Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce against it but state Nationals, Kevin Anderson and Kevin Humphries for it.

At the state election in March, voters on the Liverpool Plains had the chance to vote for an anti-Shenhua candidate, but instead they stuck with the Nationals and elected Mr Anderson with a comfortable majority.

Mr Anderson said he was conscious that not all of his electorate opposed mining.

"Agriculture continues to play and will always play an important part in our region, but so does other industries, so does retail, construction, a brick works in Gunnedah," Mr Anderson said.

"There are a lot of businesses that run off the back of mining."

His state counterpart, Member for Barwon Kevin Humphries, agreed and was supportive of the Shenhua mine.

"We may not like the fact that some people don't accept mining as an emerging industry in some parts of our valley," Mr Humphries said.

"If you look at the Shenhua project on fact, it's very hard not to support, so you may not like it but in some cases you might need to accept it."

Many farmers and green groups are angry the 10 million tonne open cut coal mine was given the final approval two weeks ago.

Key facts: Shenhua's coal mine
Expand
They have been fighting the Chinese state owned mine for the past eight years.

They claim it will adversely affect their water supply and damage the fertile soils of the Liverpool Plains.

The Government said the approval has the "strictest conditions in Australia" and the chances of the water being impacted was minimal.

But not all Nationals support the mine.

Member for New England and Agriculture Minister Barnaby Joyce is openly against it, although today he distanced himself and put the decision back on the NSW Government.

"I must remind that it goes back to the states now and it is an issue for the states," Mr Joyce said.

"I think everything else on this issue has been ventilated well and truly."

If the Shenhua mine goes ahead the farmers' next focus will be on any future mines, such as the BHP coal mine at Caroona.

Mr Humphries is confident the NSW Government will limit the number of mines on the Liverpool Plains and Caroona will not go ahead.

Shenhua's plans for Liverpool Plains
Expand
"Previously in 2014 when I was water minister I raised a red flag on the Caroona project," Mr Humphries said.

"I believe that's in a more complex area, to be honest I personally think that will be a difficult mine to get up.

"I know in government, at least in NSW, there is not an appetite to allow for too much more expansion."

But farmers on the Liverpool Plains like Tim Duddy find that hard to believe.

"That is total and utter garbage, if one project is built then both will be built, the infrastructure costs will literally halve if both projects go," Mr Duddy said.

"There is no way if Shenhua or Caroona is approved it will be done in isolation."

NSW Resources Minister Anthony Roberts was not available for an interview, but he said an application for the Caroona BHP mine has not been lodged yet, but when it is the economic, environmental and social impacts will be taken into consideration.

mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-07-21/shenhua-mine-approval-divides-state-and-federa...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print