Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print
Mike Baird's Fix For Budgets - GST Of 15pc (Read 12364 times)
Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Re: Mike Baird's Fix For Budgets - GST Of 15pc
Reply #195 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 11:16pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 3:44pm:
Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 12:36pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 12:27pm:
why would I care about wage growth outside of australia?  why would ANYONE care on a forum such as this?  there has been no wage drop in real terms since the Accord Days.

Well - 'some' here are consistent in saying that labour here is now nothing but an international commodity and we should all work for tuppence a day so it behoves us as a Star Chamber of Unelected Swill to keep a weather eye on international trends.  who knows - if Chindian wages keep going up we might get thruppence a day.....

Is there any argument for why real wages should fall? Follow then with the same argument for why costs of living should fall at least equally....

Such economic factors as wages do not exist in a vacuum - though I suspect many economists do....

on a good day you make little sense.  today is not a good day for you.

Your inability to follow a discussion is not the fault of the other party.....  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin  Grin

Have you one single iota of anything to refute what I said?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #196 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 9:45am

Dnarever wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 9:46pm:
why would I care about wage growth outside of australia?  why would ANYONE care on a forum such as this?  there has been no wage drop in real terms since the Accord Days.

Only because the high wage earners have dragged up the averages giving the impression that low to middle wages increased when they didn't in real terms.

why must you persist in your utter ignorance?  it is because you are stupid or stubborn?  wages have risen in REAL TERMS across all sectors since the late 80s

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

stunspore
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #197 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 10:21am

longweekend58 wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 9:45am:

Only because the high wage earners have dragged up the averages giving the impression that low to middle wages increased when they didn't in real terms.

why must you persist in your utter ignorance?  it is because you are stupid or stubborn?  wages have risen in REAL TERMS across all sectors since the late 80s

I don't doubt real wages rose.  However so has productivity and that according to some data rose far more.  The difference between the 2 is then credited to the employer.
I remember listening to the radio and it also referred to the state of America, where despite rise in productivity due to various methods such as innovation, that did not provide workers with near equal rise in real wages.  Hence you have the working poorer and poorer.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #198 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:14pm

stunspore wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 10:21am:

I don't doubt real wages rose.  However so has productivity and that according to some data rose far more.  The difference between the 2 is then credited to the employer.
I remember listening to the radio and it also referred to the state of America, where despite rise in productivity due to various methods such as innovation, that did not provide workers with near equal rise in real wages.  Hence you have the working poorer and poorer.

then please explain why employees are due a portion of increased profits? They dont take the risks and dont suffer when it fails. They are paid a fair wage for a fair job and as productivity increases they are not putting in more effort, just making more money. And for this they are getting paid in excess of the inflation rate. What's their complaint?  If it is so easy to do then start your own business!

AUSSIE: "Speaking for myself, I could not care less about 298 human beings having their life snuffed out in a nano-second, or what impact that loss has on Members of their family, their parents..."

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #199 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:24pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:14pm:

then please explain why employees are due a portion of increased profits? They dont take the risks and dont suffer when it fails. They are paid a fair wage for a fair job and as productivity increases they are not putting in more effort, just making more money. And for this they are getting paid in excess of the inflation rate. What's their complaint?  If it is so easy to do then start your own business!

then please explain why employees are due a portion of increased profits?

If you don't have happy productive employees you will not have profits and if you are going to need employees to share in the pain through the tough times it is only reasonable that they get some benefit from the gains of the good times.

Employees do take risks when a company fails - they become unemployed and have no income.

They are paid a fair wage for a fair job

Very subjective - maybe they are below a fair wage ?

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #200 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:57pm

Dnarever wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:24pm:

If you don't have happy productive employees you will not have profits and if you are going to need employees to share in the pain through the tough times it is only reasonable that they get some benefit from the gains of the good times.

Employees do take risks when a company fails - they become unemployed and have no income.

EMPLOYEES DONT SHARE THE PAIN IN THE TOUGH TIMES.  when was the last time a union offered 20% pay cuts to an industry on its knees?  NEVER.  IN fact, they just want more and more and more regardless of the consequences. 

If the profitability of a company is of no concern to you in tough times (eg making losses) then you have no right to complain about it when profits are high.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #201 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 2:10pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 12:57pm:

EMPLOYEES DONT SHARE THE PAIN IN THE TOUGH TIMES.  when was the last time a union offered 20% pay cuts to an industry on its knees?  NEVER.  IN fact, they just want more and more and more regardless of the consequences. 

If the profitability of a company is of no concern to you in tough times (eg making losses) then you have no right to complain about it when profits are high.

when was the last time a union offered 20% pay cuts to an industry on its knees?

Actually it has happened a number of times. Unfortunately it has only ever prolonged the pain. A company in that position is going down and employee pay cuts does not help in the end.

If the profitability of a company is of no concern to you in tough times

In the tough times many companies were offering way below inflation pay increases. Where I was employees were offered 1.5% in 2008/9 these were people who were getting around 2% when the inflation rates was at 3.5% or so for all those years.

The employees were taking real money pay cuts in the good times and then expected to take deeper cuts when things got tough. In the same years we seen record management bonuses. I was seriously embarrassed.

IP Logged

Kiron22
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #202 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 3:56pm

Dnarever wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 2:10pm:
In the tough times many companies were offering way below inflation pay increases. Where I was employees were offered 1.5% in 2008/9 these were people who were getting around 2% when the inflation rates was at 3.5% or so for all those years.

The employees were taking real money pay cuts in the good times and then expected to take deeper cuts when things got tough. In the same years we seen record management bonuses. I was seriously embarrassed.

Exactly what happened when I worked for Hastie around 2008/2009. Taking wage cuts while those on top gave themselves rises and bonuses, funny that the workers took all the pain, while those on top engaged in outright fraud, golden parachuted with millions of dollars and the entire company went tits up.

Also once again, the right wing rhetoric here doesn't take into account the class nature of society. Rich people doing business are not taking much risk because they have money to spare, your poor or working class person has almost no chance of starting their own successful business because they have no access to Capital and the risk for the working class person is generally not worth it. Even when I and 6+ other investors wanted to start our own business, the bank wanted EVERYTHING we owned on the line, that was too much risk for us. For a single person born into a million dollars or several million dollars, the risk of Starting a business is near nothing, if they fail, they still can easily live out a comfortable life and they lose some cash that means largely nothing to them.

It's also important to remember that the vast majority of businesses fail. probably for every 1000 businesses that start up, only one ever goes anywhere.

Though to the Right wingers this means nothing, because they don't believe in class or inequality except when people question the motives and actions of the ruling elite.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #203 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 4:18pm

I've seen enough management to know where the problems lie when a company goes down.. the inability to even manage the flow of paper clips is usually a good indicator..... deliberately attacking the best workers as a 'danger to the boss because they know too much' etc is another.

Seen 'em all... and management inability goes all the way to the top here...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #204 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:06pm

when was the last time a union offered 20% pay cuts to an industry on its knees?

Actually it has happened a number of times. Unfortunately it has only ever prolonged the pain. A company in that position is going down and employee pay cuts does not help in the end.

show me examples of these mythical 'pay cuts' you are referring to.

you are truly a hysteric.  there aer scarcely examples of below CPI rises nevermind pay CUTS.

at least try and prove your point.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #205 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:12pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 4:18pm:
I've seen enough management to know where the problems lie when a company goes down.. the inability to even manage the flow of paper clips is usually a good indicator..... deliberately attacking the best workers as a 'danger to the boss because they know too much' etc is another.

Seen 'em all... and management inability goes all the way to the top here...

between all the stories you tell us of yoru varied jobs, careers and incidents, you are either 150yo or more likely, a gross exaggerator.

it never occured to you that company failures can occur for other reasons beyond mismanagement?

of course not.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #206 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 7:30pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:06pm:

you are truly a hysteric.  there aer scarcely examples of below CPI rises nevermind pay CUTS.

The example I gave was a company I was with and the numbers exposed would have looked like above CPI as well because the averages were increased by what was happening at the top end. The overall money provided for pay increases was in the 3% range however it didn't all go where it was meant to be going 2% was being distributed and the collective 1% saved was used for other things. Management are not typically very honest.

IP Logged

longweekend58
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #207 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 8:03pm

Dnarever wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 7:30pm:
longweekend58 wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 5:06pm:

The example I gave was a company I was with and the numbers exposed would have looked like above CPI as well because the averages were increased by what was happening at the top end. The overall money provided for pay increases was in the 3% range however it didn't all go where it was meant to be going 2% was being distributed and the collective 1% saved was used for other things. Management are not typically very honest.

its not a very honest answer. it is an unnamed and undocumented claim with unsubstantiated figures. as for 'not going where it was meant to be', Ive seen your dreadful maths in operation. You probably couldnt calculate the right figures anyhow.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #208 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 9:47pm

longweekend58 wrote on Jul 29th, 2015 at 8:03pm:
its not a very honest answer. it is an unnamed and undocumented claim with unsubstantiated figures. as for 'not going where it was meant to be', Ive seen your dreadful maths in operation. You probably couldnt calculate the right figures anyhow.

its not a very honest answer

it is not always safe to judge others by your own standards.

Ive seen your dreadful maths in operation.

Nothing to do with my math: When 15 employees come to me saying that their increase was only 2% and I have to answer yes I know - this has nothing to do with my math. I had been told that this was what to expect that my team would be getting a 2% increase. I was also told where the collective 1% saving was going to be spent.

Some went in catch up wage increases to a few across the company and some went to pay re-arrangements. 

The catch up was a ripper, what would happen is that for about 5 years someone would be below par increases because of poor performance, eventually someone would notice that their wage level had fallen behind so money was taken from all the good performers and given to them as a catch up adjustment. The other change was for positions that were re graded. That means that instead of the company paying for position up grades and catch ups it was coming out of other employees allocated yearly increases.

It averaged 3% across the department but people didn't get 3% they got 2%. Needless to say that Managers never had this problem to contend with.
« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2015 at 7:41am by Dnarever »  

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #209 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 11:41pm

The divergence between wages and productivity is usually because most commentators only show wages compared to labour productivity. The effects of capital productivity being unaccounted for. This can't simply be ignored. Wages track multi factor productivity not labour productivity. Long term trends in capital productivity both here and in the US have been chronically south. The US being much worse than here. I've highlighted this a few pages back. Don't worry our resident nutter, Spartacus will be along soon to tell us all that it's all horseshit and it's a massive conspiracy.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 
Send Topic Print