Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is this the height of stupidity? (Read 1462 times)
Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Is this the height of stupidity?
Jul 15th, 2015 at 8:55am

Paraglider Mathew McHugh sues for $2 million after losing a leg at Mona Vale rock face

A NOVICE paraglider who lost his leg when he slammed into cliffs at a popular launch site is suing a northern beaches council and the sport’s governing body for more than $2 million, saying they failed to warn him the site was dangerous. 

Former Nova 96.9 weekend breakfast presenter Mathew McHugh, 33, had his left leg amputated below the knee after he hit a rock face at “free-fall” speed while paragliding at Cook Terrace, Mona Vale Headland last year.

Mr McHugh was not insured, had only 30 hours’ flying experience and had never flown at Cook Terrace when he crashed into the rock face. He fractured his spine in four places, shattered his pelvis, broke his right ankle and foot, and waited two hours for a rescue team to untangle him from a tree branch. He lost so much blood doctors thought he would die.

“I still remember feeling my bones crunch,” he said.

Mr McHugh claims the Hang Gliding Federation of Australia website should have classed the headland as a site for intermediate and advanced paragliders and warned that novices should not try to fly there. He also claimed Pittwater Council should have placed a sign at the site warning of past paragliding ­accidents.

Insurers for the council and the federation both plan to strongly defend the claim.

The HGFA has hit back by launching its own investigation, claiming Mr McHugh was flying “illegally” because he was not being supervised by a senior safety officer or a duty pilot.

Mr McHugh disputes this, claiming there was a licensed pilot at Cook Terrace that afternoon but he said he was not being directly supervised.

His lawyer John Kambas said they were not denying paragliding was “dangerous”.

“What we are saying is that if he had a warning sign, if the website said this is an intermediate site — not a novice site — he would not have gone,” Mr Kambas said.

Mr McHugh has put a brave face on his recovery, even creating a Facebook Page called Sydney’s Happiest Amputee, which shows pictures of him with a party hat on his stump and a letter box stuck to his hospital bed.

But Mr Kambas said that in reality the crash had been devastating.

“Although he seems to be a happy-go-lucky person, he is suffering from anxiety and depression,” Mr Kambas said.

The money would go towards Mr McHugh’s care costs, future prosthetics, his loss of future earnings (he is now on the Disability Support Pension) and general ­damages.

Mr McHugh does not regret taking up paragliding. “But I do wish I had not jumped that day, I wish I had been too busy, I wish I had a sign or a gut feeling that something was wrong.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/paraglider-mathew-mchugh-sues-for-2-mi...
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:20am by Armchair_Politician »  

Scott Morrison DID wipe the floor with Bull Shitten!!! Smiley Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Is this the height or stupidity?
Reply #1 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 8:59am

What a more-on!!!  Is he serious??? He shouldn't have used some common sense as a novice at the sport? He shouldn't have sought advice from other more experienced paragliders? It's not the job of councils to conduct risk analyses on every site in their shire for every sport in order to warn people of potential dangers, and nor are they qualified or financially capable of such a thing. When will people start to take responsibility for their own actions? I hope the Judge throws the case out on day one and makes this imbecile pay the legal fees of the Council and the sport's governing body and then also makes him pay for the cost of his rescue. Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay for the gross stupidity of others.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:04am

does anyone think all the WARNINGS would have stopped him anyway????????...

this makes me laugh....we have some kind of madness now where we do what we like...and then blame someone else when it all goes wrong...

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:07am

cods wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:04am:

this makes me laugh....we have some kind of madness now where we do what we like...and then blame someone else when it all goes wrong...

You know that I bought an iron once and in the instruction booklet it actually warned users not to iron clothes while wearing them. Then there's microwave meals that warn us that "meal will be hot when cooked". Becoming a Nanny state? No - we already live in one!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:13am

Armchair_Politician wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:07am:

You know that I bought an iron once and in the instruction booklet it actually warned users not to iron clothes while wearing them. Then there's microwave meals that warn us that "meal will be hot when cooked". Becoming a Nanny state? No - we already live in one!

http://www.awesomeinventions.com/sarcastic-warning-sign/

have a laugh at these ap... Grin Grin

IP Logged

Armchair_Politician
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:19am

cods wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:13am:

I love the $200 fine one at the end!

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:20am

Yes that's the plight afflicting the younger generations starting with those born in the late 70's/80's .... right where this bloke fits.

Most people don't throw themselves off cliffs unless they're going to commit suicide ......

having a parachute or a hang glider only slightly mitigates a huge risk of injury or death.

That's why as a sport or hobby this bloke & other enthusiasts would not get accident/injury insurance.

So he takes the other option no doubt with the advice of a shyster solicitor to sue the Council for negligence.

He should be thanking his lucky stars he's alive to tell the tale of his stupidity.

He can always audition for Pirate roles in movies.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Is this the height of stupidity?
Reply #7 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:26am

the judge should throw him in jail for stupidity. The guy is a danger to society.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:27am

You aren't covered by insurance for such dangerous sports as sky-diving etc....

Warning signs on every cliff?

Obviously an IQ test is required for licencing....

Kind of like -

"Do not attempt to stop turning propellors by hand!"...

"Do Not Test Jet Engine Temperature At Rear Of Aircraft!"

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:29am

Armchair_Politician wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:19am:
cods wrote on Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:13am:

I love the $200 fine one at the end!

I liked the one about this machine takes your money and gives nothing in return... how often does that happen??.. Grin Grin

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jul 15th, 2015 at 9:34am

didnt they try putting signs up at the "Gap"..telling people they will automatically die if they jump off....

so if someone survived they could sue for wrong information..

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print