Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
believe it or not (Read 2491 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

believe it or not
Jul 15th, 2015 at 8:11am

A relative of mine picked up a young magpie off the road with an injured wing. He drove about 12 km home, treated the injury, fed it & put it in a cage. Within a short time two adult birds turned up, stayed around till the baby was better, bringing it food. They left the cage door open & they gradually taught it to fly and they left when it was better.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Re: believe it or not
Reply #1 - Jul 16th, 2015 at 10:18am

I should have added, they believe the parent birds saw their youngster taken into the vehicle and followed it all the way back.
Seems unbelievable but it's the only rational explanation.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 2:07pm

They are very smart birds our beloved maggies.

Had a similar thing, sort of at least, when I was a kid. Was helping Dad renovate a house and found a Galah stuck in a tree - it too had hurt a wing. I think my Dad may have been tempted to hit it on the head - especially when it latched onto his hand getting it outta the tree. However, between us we got it out of the tree, into the laundry of the house and dried off. I think it was its mate that was hanging around for about a week. The laundry had a decent hole in one wall (I did say we were renovating  Smiley ), so when the injured bird got stronger we uncovered the hole. Came there one morning and both birds had flown off.

In short, I believe it, lol.

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 2:34pm

Well there you go. There are more things in heaven & earth Horatio.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Jul 17th, 2015 at 6:10pm

Phemanderac wrote on Jul 17th, 2015 at 2:07pm:
They are very smart birds our beloved maggies.

Had a similar thing, sort of at least, when I was a kid. Was helping Dad renovate a house and found a Galah stuck in a tree - it too had hurt a wing. I think my Dad may have been tempted to hit it on the head - especially when it latched onto his hand getting it outta the tree. However, between us we got it out of the tree, into the laundry of the house and dried off. I think it was its mate that was hanging around for about a week. The laundry had a decent hole in one wall (I did say we were renovating  Smiley ), so when the injured bird got stronger we uncovered the hole. Came there one morning and both birds had flown off.

In short, I believe it, lol.

Galahs mate for life ... it's partner would never leave as long as it knew the location of its mate.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 22nd, 2015 at 9:36pm

when my husband was a live we bought a cottage down the coast our retirement home...and we went down every weekend almost.. we had a cat and we took her with us...well one weekend she caught a bird a magpie and of course killed it.... two weeks later we went down again took cat with us...the next morning there was one hell of a to do out the front.. we had an enormous camellia tree very tall very thick.. the noise was coming from in there but we couldnt see anything...then suddenly a bird flew down .. ...followed by another the screeching was getting worse... and then bang out flew the cat she was petrified...two birds followed her out and the others all  chased her down the road.they were all  screeching...feathers flying everywhere.. I hid inside and we spent the weekend looking for the cat...she didnt come home so we left a note with neighbours...and yes she did go back about two days after we left and the neighbours cared for her...we got her back the next time but she hardly went out of the house again....

the whole thing was really scary as the birds were violent in their attack...like I say I hid....there was nothing we could do. and the cat was lucky they didnt get hold of her otherwise I think she would have been cat meat.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Jul 23rd, 2015 at 9:45am

Very Alfred Hitchcock cods. You're lucky they didn't smash the windows in to get at you.

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #7 - Jul 23rd, 2015 at 6:18pm

cods wrote on Jul 22nd, 2015 at 9:36pm:
when my husband was a live we bought a cottage down the coast our retirement home...and we went down every weekend almost.. we had a cat and we took her with us...well one weekend she caught a bird a magpie and of course killed it.... two weeks later we went down again took cat with us...the next morning there was one hell of a to do out the front.. we had an enormous camellia tree very tall very thick.. the noise was coming from in there but we couldnt see anything...then suddenly a bird flew down .. ...followed by another the screeching was getting worse... and then bang out flew the cat she was petrified...two birds followed her out and the others all  chased her down the road.they were all  screeching...feathers flying everywhere.. I hid inside and we spent the weekend looking for the cat...she didnt come home so we left a note with neighbours...and yes she did go back about two days after we left and the neighbours cared for her...we got her back the next time but she hardly went out of the house again....

the whole thing was really scary as the birds were violent in their attack...like I say I hid....there was nothing we could do. and the cat was lucky they didnt get hold of her otherwise I think she would have been cat meat.

Magpies kick ass.

The law locks up the man who steals the goose from the common, but leaves the greater criminal loose who steals the common from the goose (convict saying)

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2015 at 11:17am

bogarde73 wrote on Jul 23rd, 2015 at 9:45am:
Very Alfred Hitchcock cods. You're lucky they didn't smash the windows in to get at you.

not wrong... my latest sitting here at my computer I look straight out at my little front patch...gets the bright morning sun...when we have it in canberra.. anyway a few weeks ago a magpie started coming to pinch my white pebbles I have just a little border of them..about the size of a 50cent piece.. anyway it would pick one up take it a few hops drop it pick it up and drop it again then try another one...this would go on for a few minutes then he would find the right size and run and take off....then a few min later be back again... this would go one for about 4 times by the time he had finished the pebbles were strewn all over....this went on for a week or more.in the end I worked it out there were two of them.....they must have taken about 20 pebbles...it was wonderful to watch them.. even had one of the cats sitting about 4 feet away and that didnt bother them.... I have a vision of a massive block of nests...what else could it be?... and the weight alone would be something else...

if you have the time to sit and watch.. they are really cool.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #9 - Jul 28th, 2015 at 4:44pm

cods wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 11:17am:

not wrong... my latest sitting here at my computer I look straight out at my little front patch...gets the bright morning sun...when we have it in canberra.. anyway a few weeks ago a magpie started coming to pinch my white pebbles I have just a little border of them..about the size of a 50cent piece.. anyway it would pick one up take it a few hops drop it pick it up and drop it again then try another one...this would go on for a few minutes then he would find the right size and run and take off....then a few min later be back again... this would go one for about 4 times by the time he had finished the pebbles were strewn all over....this went on for a week or more.in the end I worked it out there were two of them.....they must have taken about 20 pebbles...it was wonderful to watch them.. even had one of the cats sitting about 4 feet away and that didnt bother them.... I have a vision of a massive block of nests...what else could it be?... and the weight alone would be something else...

Cods,
I have a family of 5 Maggies who come to visit me on a regular basis.  They will "talk" to me if I wander outside while they are there.  Occasionally, I have thrown then some small pieces of bread (I know we aren't supposed to do that ... but). I wonder whether your Maggies think that the white pebbles are "food"?  Have a strong word with them and buy some cheap mince or something and give them that.  Wink

Maggies will swoop cats, they aren't backward in coming forward and it is quite amusing to see.  Grin

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Jul 29th, 2015 at 3:18pm

I remembered something else the other day, but it's not about magpies.

The small acreage I've had for about 30 years used to be owned by an old couple who had lost their teenage daughter in tragic circumstances.
She had owned an old pony which I kept for them till it died - they didn't have anywhere to take it.

Didn't realise, till someone told me, why it always went down the front of the property every afternoon and waited for hours.
It was looking for the girl to get off the school bus.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Aug 7th, 2015 at 5:57am

Neferti wrote on Jul 28th, 2015 at 4:44pm:
cods wrote on Jul 27th, 2015 at 11:17am:

Cods,
I have a family of 5 Maggies who come to visit me on a regular basis.  They will "talk" to me if I wander outside while they are there.  Occasionally, I have thrown then some small pieces of bread (I know we aren't supposed to do that ... but). I wonder whether your Maggies think that the white pebbles are "food"?  Have a strong word with them and buy some cheap mince or something and give them that.  Wink

Maggies will swoop cats, they aren't backward in coming forward and it is quite amusing to see.  Grin

I did think they may want food so did put out some crackers however they werent interested...and the stones they dropped them and picked them up a couple of times I thought they were testing the weight of them...one time one even dropped them in the birdbath water and had a drink before taking off...to wash or not to wash....very intelligent and as you say friendly..they sit on my back wall giving cheek to the cats,...even run up and down it.. calling to  them.. my cats are both getting old so they have no chance...

that is a nice story about the pony Boges.. we underestimate our animals a bit I think. I often say my cats only love me for the food...I do spoil them.. however i think its more than that...one in particular I cant sit down when shes in without her wanting to be on my lap...doesnt matter what else I am doing if I am sitting she does her best to squeeze in... even at the computer she will sit on the back of the chair..the other one just dollops chunks of ginger fur everywhere... does anyone have a cure for a cat licking itself raw...she now has a large red bare spot on her belly.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #12 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 1:19pm

When I have a day off that coincides with my husband, one of the things wenlike to do is have a picnic and throw a line in the water. I like to hand feed the birds while we're there. Magpies, Ibis, seagulls etc. I think seagulls are the least trusting but also the greediest, so they overcome their unease. If you're very still they eventually take food from your fingertips.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 2:17pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Aug 9th, 2015 at 1:19pm:
When I have a day off that coincides with my husband, one of the things wenlike to do is have a picnic and throw a line in the water. I like to hand feed the birds while we're there. Magpies, Ibis, seagulls etc. I think seagulls are the least trusting but also the greediest, so they overcome their unease. If you're very still they eventually take food from your fingertips. 

I had one once swoop down and grab my burger from my hands just as I was about to bite into it .... ^%$# &*()

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 9th, 2015 at 3:35pm

its Emus take take anything even off the barbie red hot..no shame at all.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print