Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Feral fox problems. (Read 6901 times)
|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Feral fox problems.
Reply #45 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 12:09pm

Why do you keep trying to quote NSW legislation at us Baron?  Few of us live there.   Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #46 - Aug 26th, 2015 at 5:54pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Jul 14th, 2015 at 12:06am:
Anschutz 1532 with a Bushnell 3x9x40 was the fox pelt accumulator back in the day.

A head shot was the only way to make money, the winter pelts were worth the effort.

250m under the light was easy.

Never hit a civilian.

Cool

Remington 222/ .17.- most proficient. Best fox gun for a clean head shot that didn't damage skin. Loaded up or down.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Aug 26th, 2015 at 8:47pm

Agnes wrote on Aug 26th, 2015 at 5:54pm:
Anschutz 1532 with a Bushnell 3x9x40 was the fox pelt accumulator back in the day.

A head shot was the only way to make money, the winter pelts were worth the effort.

Never hit a civilian.

Cool

Remington 222/ .17.- most proficient. Best fox gun for a clean head shot that didn't damage skin. Loaded up or down.

Wow! Have to be hand-loaded, I'd imagine. Never seen store-bought ammo for one of those.

I've heard of the wildcat .222's but have never used one myself. I'd imagine they'd push a smaller pill than the usual 40-50 grains at a much faster velocity than 3,100 - 3,300 fps.

With such a light pill weight and the assumed velocity, such a projectile would almost always detonate internally, would that be a fair comment?

I'd reckon it would be awesomely accurate in the right conditions, a flat shooter - but would be subject to drift over longer ranges in winds.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 12:09pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Aug 24th, 2015 at 6:43pm:
Back when I was younger, those five foxes would have yielded $40 each for pelts, if they were headshot - and they could have been. I used to shoot foxes for the money back then - $200 was more than a week's pay. Not worth shooting for money anymore - nobody wears fur!  Roll Eyes

Was it leather shoe-handbag-skirt-dress-jacket-purse wearing models who sit on leather chairs in their homes and cars who said wearing fur is bad?

If wearing fur is bad then wearing or using leather must be just as bad unless you're a hypocrite.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 12:11pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Aug 26th, 2015 at 8:47pm:

Never hit a civilian.

Cool

Wow! Have to be hand-loaded, I'd imagine. Never seen store-bought ammo for one of those.

I've heard of the wildcat .222's but have never used one myself. I'd imagine they'd push a smaller pill than the usual 40-50 grains at a much faster velocity than 3,100 - 3,300 fps.

With such a light pill weight and the assumed velocity, such a projectile would almost always detonate internally, would that be a fair comment?

I'd reckon it would be awesomely accurate in the right conditions, a flat shooter - but would be subject to drift over longer ranges in winds.

204 ruger would be a good thing, it's a .223 necked down, push 40gr pills at over 3800fps.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #50 - Aug 27th, 2015 at 2:51pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Aug 26th, 2015 at 8:47pm:

Never hit a civilian.

Cool

Yes hand loaded- once you understand powder measurements, then you can handle most wind conditions, trial and error of course.. you will have a few destroyed skins before you perfect the right loads for conditions and of course as conditions change from one  night to the next hand loading is well suited for this, in so much as you can change load to suit- just watch how you go with the primer and wear safety goggles in case- you wont get this kind of freedom with store bought ammo.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print