Gold Member

Representative of me

Re: Feral fox problems.
Reply #30 - Jul 20th, 2015 at 9:08pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 20th, 2015 at 6:37am:
Brian Ross wrote on Jul 20th, 2015 at 12:44am:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 19th, 2015 at 11:41pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jul 19th, 2015 at 7:47pm:
Lionel, I consider all gun nuts (note, not all gun owners) in the light you've attempted to claim I consider all gun owners.   Baron is an excellent example of the single-minded gun nut - no other alternative solution to pest eradication or anything else will be considered, except guns.  He worships guns.  QED.

Do you though or does your Xenophobia have equal sway or is it merely a debating tactic on your part to agree in one post and then at a later date revert to your previous position WRT to immigrants/Asylum Seekers/Muslims/etc.?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Baron is also correct. Guns are THE most effective and controllable method of pest eradication, because the only animal killed is the one aimed at.

Assuming the one aimed at is the one needed to be killed.  Alternatively, it may be that the shooter is a bad shot, something I note doesn't enter into the criteria of being a "law abiding gun owner" as claimed by the Baron, Gizmo...   Roll Eyes

No need to 'assume', since all feral pests, in this case foxes, are equal in any eradication scheme.
Sorry, I should have included 'with a halfway decent shooter'.

But you didn't, now did you?  Just as the Baron, Lionel, et al don't... Roll Eyes

Quote:
Well to be honest, competence isn't a prerequisite for very much in the real world, whether shooting or driving or raising children.

When the casualties occur, then it starts to become an issue.  I am merely being one step ahead...   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #31 - Jul 20th, 2015 at 9:33pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 20th, 2015 at 9:08pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 20th, 2015 at 6:37am:
Brian Ross wrote on Jul 20th, 2015 at 12:44am:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 19th, 2015 at 11:41pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jul 19th, 2015 at 7:47pm:
Lionel, I consider all gun nuts (note, not all gun owners) in the light you've attempted to claim I consider all gun owners.   Baron is an excellent example of the single-minded gun nut - no other alternative solution to pest eradication or anything else will be considered, except guns.  He worships guns.  QED.

Do you though or does your Xenophobia have equal sway or is it merely a debating tactic on your part to agree in one post and then at a later date revert to your previous position WRT to immigrants/Asylum Seekers/Muslims/etc.?   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Baron is also correct. Guns are THE most effective and controllable method of pest eradication, because the only animal killed is the one aimed at.

Assuming the one aimed at is the one needed to be killed.  Alternatively, it may be that the shooter is a bad shot, something I note doesn't enter into the criteria of being a "law abiding gun owner" as claimed by the Baron, Gizmo...   Roll Eyes

No need to 'assume', since all feral pests, in this case foxes, are equal in any eradication scheme.
Sorry, I should have included 'with a halfway decent shooter'.

But you didn't, now did you?  Just as the Baron, Lionel, et al don't... Roll Eyes

Quote:
Well to be honest, competence isn't a prerequisite for very much in the real world, whether shooting or driving or raising children.

When the casualties occur, then it starts to become an issue.  I am merely being one step ahead...   Roll Eyes

To be honest, anyone who'd go out shooting feral pests would be a halfway decent shot anyway.

What casualties do you mean?? Contrary to what you may believe, most sporting shooters (95% to 99%) are NOT drunken yobbos.

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #32 - Jul 20th, 2015 at 9:48pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 20th, 2015 at 9:33pm:
To be honest, anyone who'd go out shooting feral pests would be a halfway decent shot anyway.

You stand by that guarantee?   Roll Eyes

Quote:
What casualties do you mean?? Contrary to what you may believe, most sporting shooters (95% to 99%) are NOT drunken yobbos.

Never claimed they were.  That's Greg's line, not mine.  Yobbos perhaps but not necessarily all drunken ones,   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #33 - Jul 20th, 2015 at 10:29pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 20th, 2015 at 9:48pm:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 20th, 2015 at 9:33pm:

You stand by that guarantee?   Roll Eyes

Quote:

Never claimed they were.  That's Greg's line, not mine.  Yobbos perhaps but not necessarily all drunken ones,   Roll Eyes

Sure, hunting for pest control requires being able to drop the target in 2 shots or less, otherwise it's way too expensive in ammo.

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #34 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 6:23pm

gizmo_2655 wrote on Jul 20th, 2015 at 10:29pm:
Sure, hunting for pest control requires being able to drop the target in 2 shots or less, otherwise it's way too expensive in ammo.

So, the Pest Control license states that, Gizmo?    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 7:03pm

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 24th, 2015 at 6:23pm:

Perhaps not in those words - but there is this:

" ...  The Firearms Safety & Training Council Ltd  runs an aaccreditation program specifically for kangaroo harvesters.
The course includes a shooting accuracy test; a safety check of harvesters’ rifles ... " http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/nature/kmp/10160hbkangharvesters.pdf

And this:

" ... In NSW and Queensland there is a requirement for commercial kangaroo shooters to undertake a firearms competency test. This is voluntary in South Australia (compulsory from July 1, 2002), and has been developed in Western Australia but not yet made compulsory.

The firearms competency test is similar for the three States, with one important exception in South Australia (see below). In NSW, South Australia and Queensland, the test involves shooting five rounds in an 80 mm diameter circle at a distance of 100 m. ... " http://www.environment.gov.au/node/16658

Not the greatest degree of accuracy, but as Gizmo states, why waste ammo when it represents an expense. I don't consider myself a great shot, but I can hit a 20c piece 4 out of 5 at 90m any day of the week with the right .22 and a good 'scope (but that's laying prone and taking my time)..

One imagines that the rules for culling feral horses by helicopter, using semi-automatic rifles, would have similar requirements for accuracy so as to minimise suffering by the target species.

You like to target those who would decry Islam, and Muslims as a whole, because of the actions of a few.

I accuse you of doing the same thing to law-abiding shooters - when you know better.

Shame!

Cool

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #36 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 8:57pm

Foxes aren't Kangaroos, Lionel.   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #37 - Jul 25th, 2015 at 11:57am

Lionel Edriess wrote on Jul 24th, 2015 at 7:03pm:
Brian Ross wrote on Jul 24th, 2015 at 6:23pm:

Perhaps not in those words - but there is this:

" ...  The Firearms Safety & Training Council Ltd  runs an aaccreditation program specifically for kangaroo harvesters.
The course includes a shooting accuracy test; a safety check of harvesters’ rifles ... " http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/resources/nature/kmp/10160hbkangharvesters.pdf

And this:

" ... In NSW and Queensland there is a requirement for commercial kangaroo shooters to undertake a firearms competency test. This is voluntary in South Australia (compulsory from July 1, 2002), and has been developed in Western Australia but not yet made compulsory.

The firearms competency test is similar for the three States, with one important exception in South Australia (see below). In NSW, South Australia and Queensland, the test involves shooting five rounds in an 80 mm diameter circle at a distance of 100 m. ... " http://www.environment.gov.au/node/16658

Not the greatest degree of accuracy, but as Gizmo states, why waste ammo when it represents an expense. I don't consider myself a great shot, but I can hit a 20c piece 4 out of 5 at 90m any day of the week with the right .22 and a good 'scope (but that's laying prone and taking my time)..

One imagines that the rules for culling feral horses by helicopter, using semi-automatic rifles, would have similar requirements for accuracy so as to minimise suffering by the target species.

You like to target those who would decry Islam, and Muslims as a whole, because of the actions of a few.

I accuse you of doing the same thing to law-abiding shooters - when you know better.

Shame!

Cool

The shooting test for a rimfire rifle is done at 50m,the centrefire tests are done at 80-100m.

I would say every target shooter in Australia could easily pass the shooting test for pro culling,most hunters are capable of shooting 1MOA at 100m which is 25.4mm
I think the standards are fairly low for the shooting tests.

The semi auto rifles used for aerial culling are not as accurate as a good bolt action unless you are talking about a GAP-10.
1 MOA is considered acceptable (GAP-10 capable of 0.25 MOA).
The rules state every animal must be double tapped (shot twice) from the air with a .308 semi auto.

As for bwians comment on Kangaroos not being foxes that is true, they both have similar sized heads.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #38 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 12:12am

The size of their heads is immaterial, Baron.  Like Gizmo and Lionel, you seem to be assuming that all shots will be perfectly aimed.  Why?    Roll Eyes

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #39 - Jul 26th, 2015 at 1:58am

Brian Ross wrote on Jul 26th, 2015 at 12:12am:
The size of their heads is immaterial, Baron.  Like Gizmo and Lionel, you seem to be assuming that all shots will be perfectly aimed.  Why?    Roll Eyes

Perhaps that's because Baron, like Lionel and I, knows how to shoot?

Btw, 'perfectly aimed' isn't really necessary. Well aimed will do, as long as the fox is fatally wounded, or killed outright. A head shot isn't required, a heart shot does just as well.

Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Aug 23rd, 2015 at 1:11pm

Quote:
Armed and dangerous! Meet the teenage huntress who got her gun licence at 13 and is now waging a war on killer foxes.

This lambing season the central Victorian farmer and his 16 year old daughter Karley have shot a record number of red foxes,hanging a whopping 194 of the agricultural pests upside down on the fence of their Yapeen property.

Karley got her shooting licence when she was 13 and has since taken a shining to hunting the pests,she detailed the sickening moment she shot a fox as it was savaging a lamb while it was being birthed.
The fox chewed into the new lamb's throat and ate it's lips and tongue.It's such a gruesome and terrible thing to see,especially because the lamb doesn't get a chance to live.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3206787/The-father-daughter-duo-shot-a-record-1...

I know a few city women who moved to the country and got a firearm licence to shoot foxes.

The Greens would like people to stop shooting these pests that cost farmers millions every year and also endanger native wildlife.
Quote:
20. A ban on the recreational shooting of all animals.
http://greens.org.au/policies/animals

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Aug 24th, 2015 at 12:15pm

So, Baron, the hunting is done for reasons of pest control not recreation?  Do you enjoy filling your blood lust?  Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy
« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2015 at 11:59am by |dev|null »  

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Aug 24th, 2015 at 6:43pm

|dev|null wrote on Aug 24th, 2015 at 12:15pm:
So, Baron, the hunting is done for reasons of pest control but recreation?  Do you enjoy filling your blood lust?  Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

You're just a clown who likes to tease and doesn't even take the time to preview their own posts. Are you in such a hurry, flitting from topic to topic with your often inane commentary, that you don't even care about your postings?

Here, let me correct your last effort for you:

" So, Baron, the hunting is not done for reasons of pest control but recreation?  Do you enjoy filling your blood lust? "

Now, is that better? Make more sense?

Oh, and you probably know very little about the subject at hand. Three questions, young'un. Enlighten us.

When was the last time you shot a fox, what did you use and why did you do it?

Listen to 'geoffthefarmer' and see why and how it's done:

Foxes are an introduced feral animal that decimate native wildlife and have a big impact on farming profitability. There exists a NEED to cull them. Baiting is too indiscriminate, biological control is too dangerous and trapping has become ineffective. Shooting is effective and foxes have the added advantage of being prized as a game animal to be hunted.

Back when I was younger, those five foxes would have yielded $40 each for pelts, if they were headshot - and they could have been. I used to shoot foxes for the money back then - $200 was more than a week's pay. Not worth shooting for money anymore - nobody wears fur!  Roll Eyes

How would you deal with the feral fox problem, clever-clogs?

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 11:59am

Lionel, I can thankfully state I have never hunted anything.  I find my food in my backyard, growing in the ground for the most part.  I am a vegetarian.

How would I deal with the Fox problem?  I'd not have introduced them!  As they have, I'd clone Thylacines and train them to hunt Foxes.    Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Aug 25th, 2015 at 12:02pm

|dev|null wrote on Aug 24th, 2015 at 12:15pm:
So, Baron, the hunting is done for reasons of pest control not recreation?

The only animals that can be legally hunted in Australia by non aboriginals are introduced feral pests like the fox.

The Rural lands protection act 1998 makes it a legal obligation for landowners to eradicate feral pests by any lawful method.

It's hardly recreation when you can be prosecuted for failing to deal with feral pests.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print