Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Australia: Past and Future (Read 2385 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Australia: Past and Future
May 29th, 2015 at 10:39am

Only the dimmest intellect would not recognise that Religion is one of the greatest threats to world peace today, alongside oil, and unemployment.

In the Western world of pluralistic democracies Australia is unique for several reasons. Britain had adopted pluralism after centuries of bloody religious atrocities. Gradually a parliamentary system evolved and tolerance became a fait accompli, but remained under the umbrella of Protestantism until quite recently.

In the New World almost all the new nations were either established as havens for those persecuted in Europe like the Huguenots of South Africa or the Protestants of Massachusetts. With as much greed and avarice, other nations were the result of proselytising the existing state religion as in the case of the Portuguese Brazil and the Spanish Americas.

One thing all these societies had in common was the respectability religion imparted to every tier. Whether you believed or not, you had to appear to do so if you expected to make any financial of social progress. Or even to be just left alone.

Being a prison colony, New South Wales and its subsidiaries were never intended as havens for religious conviction; not even as an outpost for the delivery of Protestant beliefs to the natives. The colony was simply a dumping ground for overflowing British prisons. In the early days very few brought any skill or strong religious conviction with them. And the harsh and often horrifying treatment and condition under which they served were not about to engender a love of a merciful heavenly father. In places like Macquarie Harbour and Norfolk Island it must have been quite the opposite. It must have been particularly corrupting of the children among them.

Such conditions could never have been imagined to be the foundation stones of an independent country in the Southern Hemisphere, but as horrible as they were, something unique grew out of it all; something I believe is or was quintessentially Australian; National secularism.

Even though the churches came in when it was convenient for them, the population already had a very large percentage of people who were sceptical of religion. This was a reality until quite recently, and it was encouraged by the thinkers and writers who were the founders of the international labour movement. This is one of the biggest differences between Austalia and the USA where even those held in slavery adopted the religion of brutal masters.

I fully support a cosmopolitan society in Australia based on tolerance and inclusiveness. At the same time I do not remember the White Australia Policy quite as villainous as it is portrayed in the popular media today. It was not as bad as the Indian cast system or the Alabama of the KKK. But it was bad enough that it had to go. The multiculturalism envisaged at the time was made against an international background where religious fanaticism was far more isolated and whole lot less violent.

Please forgive my longwinded preamble. But bearing our history of religious scientism in mind, my point is this:

In a far more interconnected world our old religious sceptism and secular idea of society has come under the pressure of a world weigh down with religion, superstition, imported sectarianism, and just plain air-headedness. The effect is that a second generation of Australians is about to grow up where our own tolerance gives equal credence to new age spiritualism, fundamentalist Christian, Muslim and Jewish dogma, Taoists, Gold Buddha ritualists and any other of many crackpot interpretations of reality.

Our own tolerance cannot hold these types of so called faiths in the same reverence as the secularism that allows them to be part of a multicultural society. They must only be permitted under the overall umbrella of secular tolerance.
Our secularism was paid for in the misery of Australia’s early years and fostered by the struggle for decent working conditions in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. But leftist today seem to have forgotten what the opiate of the people is.
It is time that secularism stood up recognised its duty to regain its central position in the Australian psyche, it should be recognised and codified, otherwise we are destined to become just another country fractured along the same sectarian lines we see throughout the world where religion is their social foundation.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Re: Australia: Past and Future
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2015 at 7:35am

Not a bad post, mate. Did you write that? It's not often someone writes out a long post on here (one that makes a coherent point anyway).

Anyway, I don't think Australia is under any immediate threat. Those who make up the bulk of the population have little time for religion - they prefer work, holidays, sports, beer. A little bit of religion is tolerated. It's especially tolerated if it's kept private.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2015 at 8:13am

Yes, it is my own thoughts on what I think is one of Australia's best traits; scepticism. Long may it reign. I have thought about it's origins a lot, but my post was prompted by the longwinded spiritual and religious posts that claim some secret insight into reality.

IP Logged

Robot

Conspirator

Engadine Maccas
Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 12:35am

Quote:
In a far more interconnected world our old religious sceptism and secular idea of society has come under the pressure of a world weigh down with religion, superstition, imported sectarianism, and just plain air-headedness. The effect is that a second generation of Australians is about to grow up where our own tolerance gives equal credence to new age spiritualism, fundamentalist Christian, Muslim and Jewish dogma, Taoists, Gold Buddha ritualists and any other of many crackpot interpretations of reality.

With each generation, fewer Australians give credence to religion.

Religion in Australia is on the decline: the number of people who do not identify with any religion is steadily increasing, and younger generations are less religious than older generations.

IP Logged

Pho Huc
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Victoria
Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2015 at 12:48am

great post culture. more please.

The law locks up the man who steals the goose from the common, but leaves the greater criminal loose who steals the common from the goose (convict saying)

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #5 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 4:45am

Australia was founded upon the landing of people who had travelled 6 months' journey. They do not have time for religion to keep them sane.

Australia was farmed by farmers who had trouble establishing bountiful harvests. Starvation was widespread for the first few decades of Australia's foundation. Hungry people don't have time for religion.

Australia was explored by people who travelled through harsh environments and temperatures that were terribly oppressive to their European origins. Weather-beaten people don't have time for religion.

Australians conquered the elements with scientific innovation, pragmatism, and sheer determination. Pragmatic, determined scientifically minded people do not have time for religion.

Australia is a non-religious society because we have been conditioned to tame the elements, and not wait around for the bogeyman in the sky to save us. It becomes imperative to survive the environment, and be productive with building society into one for international trade.

If we take a look at places that are religious, you need go no further than the United States. The United States is considered the most religious country on the planet. Of course, they have maintained a fundamental Christian society because their environment spoils Americans into allowing them to retain a religious disposition. It is easy for Americans to get off a month long boat journey, and still be content to thank the boogey man for the arduous journey. Then throw seeds onto the shores of the new continent, and watch the farms grow with ease. Life is too easy in the United States with survival.

Hence the reason why religion is dying off in Australia, and still flourishing in America is mainly environmentally motivated. The moment that farms in the United States have to struggle to survive; the weather turning dry and oppressive; and the need to turn to science to keep alive, I can bet that Americans will start becoming as atheistic as Australians.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #6 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 2:38pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Oct 19th, 2016 at 4:45am:
Australia was founded upon the landing of people who had travelled 6 months' journey. They do not have time for religion to keep them sane.

Australia was farmed by farmers who had trouble establishing bountiful harvests. Starvation was widespread for the first few decades of Australia's foundation. Hungry people don't have time for religion.

Australia was explored by people who travelled through harsh environments and temperatures that were terribly oppressive to their European origins. Weather-beaten people don't have time for religion.

Australians conquered the elements with scientific innovation, pragmatism, and sheer determination. Pragmatic, determined scientifically minded people do not have time for religion.

Australia is a non-religious society because we have been conditioned to tame the elements, and not wait around for the bogeyman in the sky to save us. It becomes imperative to survive the environment, and be productive with building society into one for international trade.

If we take a look at places that are religious, you need go no further than the United States. The United States is considered the most religious country on the planet. Of course, they have maintained a fundamental Christian society because their environment spoils Americans into allowing them to retain a religious disposition. It is easy for Americans to get off a month long boat journey, and still be content to thank the boogey man for the arduous journey. Then throw seeds onto the shores of the new continent, and watch the farms grow with ease. Life is too easy in the United States with survival.

Hence the reason why religion is dying off in Australia, and still flourishing in America is mainly environmentally motivated. The moment that farms in the United States have to struggle to survive; the weather turning dry and oppressive; and the need to turn to science to keep alive, I can bet that Americans will start becoming as atheistic as Australians.

I agree with the general thrust of your post, but I have to contest your highlighted statement that the USA is the most religious country on the planet. I am sure Saudi Arabia, India, and Pakistan are more soaked in religion than the US. The thing about religion is the USA is that it has a very loud voice, but secular beliefs are very much alive and well there.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #7 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 9:37pm

I am sure there is a secular element in the United States' culture. But, they certainly hold religion with higher regard than most western countries.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2023 at 4:55pm

This Topic was moved here from Atheism by freediver.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print