Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Wisdom: what is it? (Read 2115 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Wisdom: what is it?
May 23rd, 2015 at 11:27am

It isn't knowledge. Plenty of people have digested vast amounts of knowledge without becoming wise.
George Eliot's "Middlemarch" gives a wonderful portrayal of one man's fruitless quest.
But knowledge is a necessary component.

It isn't experience. I imagine you can cram so many experiences into a life without becoming wise.
But experience is a necessary component.

It isn't acquired merely by thought and contemplation or meditation. Inner peace may be acquired in this way but I doubt it will of itself lead to wisdom.

It isn't necessarily acquired through endless discussion and argument. Otherwise every group of coffee house or pub habitués would be wise people.

It certainly doesn't come from mind-bending drugs. Aldous Huxley tried that but I don't think it made him any wiser than he was already.

So what is wisdom? Is it partly all of the above plus maybe something spiritual?

Someone tell me.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Re: Wisdom: what is it?
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2015 at 11:57am

Wisdom is understanding.

Psalms 111:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they that do his commandments: his praise endureth for ever.

Proverbs 1:7
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 9:10
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.

A whole chapter describing wisdom....

Proverbs 8

Psalms 19:7
The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
8  The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes.
9  The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring for ever: the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether.
10  More to be desired are they than gold, yea, than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.

I understand that the spirit contained in the Bible, isn't for everyone.

Some people are just averse to it.

Yadda said....
Quote:

Reading the Bible, imo, is a form of spiritual invocation.

IMO, the words and thoughts expressed within the Bible, express [to me] the mind of our God.
Reading those words and thoughts, exposes me to that spirit, the spirit, which i want to be influenced by.
i.e.
The spirit of God!
It is that simple.
IMO, people who hate the Bible [and some people do], are [knowingly, or unknowingly!] demonstrating their hatred for [the spirit of] God!

It is that simple.

Believe what you will.
...we all do!

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #2 - May 24th, 2015 at 8:27am

Here are some great moments in wisdom

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - May 24th, 2015 at 10:07am

bogarde73 wrote on May 23rd, 2015 at 11:27am:
It isn't knowledge. Plenty of people have digested vast amounts of knowledge without becoming wise.

Wisdom is understanding just how much you don't know.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #4 - May 24th, 2015 at 11:08am

Proverbs 16:22
Understanding is a wellspring of life unto him that hath it: but the instruction of fools is folly.

Wisdom: what is it?

Wisdom, as a condition, is sometimes attributed to individuals, but wisdom is 'a presence of mind' which is [mostly] only apparent 'after the fact'.

Wisdom is attributed to persons who, apparently, have an understanding of the potential consequences of their own choices.

Wisdom is attributed to persons who, apparently, have an ability to make choices which are seen, 'after the fact', to have avoided or mitigated, a consequence of confusion and error.

Wisdom is attributed to persons who, apparently, have an ability to make choices which are seen, 'after the fact', to have avoided or mitigated, the consequences of a prevailing confusion or error.

Wisdom is attributed to persons who, apparently, have an ability to make choices which are seen, 'after the fact', to have effectively mitigated the circumstances of some unavoidable catastrophe.

Wisdom is attributed to persons who, apparently, have an ability to make choices, which in retrospect, are seen to have beneficial outcomes/consequences.

Wisdom is attributed to persons who, apparently, have an ability to consistently make beneficial choices.

Wisdom is attributed to persons who, apparently, are in possession of a prescient mind.

I must disqualify myself.

Proverbs 16:22
...the instruction of fools is folly.

Proverbs 29:11
A fool uttereth all his mind: but a wise man...

Wisdom is an attribute in the few, which is often unappreciated by the many.

Ecclesiastes 9:14
There was a little city, and few men within it; and there came a great king against it, and besieged it, and built great bulwarks against it:
15  Now there was found in it a poor wise man, and he by his wisdom delivered the city; yet no man remembered that same poor man.
16  Then said I, Wisdom is better than strength: nevertheless the poor man's wisdom is despised, and his words are not heard.

Dictionary;
providence = =
1 the protective care of God or of nature as a spiritual power.     God or nature as providing such care.
2 timely preparation for future eventualities.

Matthew 11:19
....wisdom is justified of her children.

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #5 - May 24th, 2015 at 2:23pm

John Smith wrote on May 24th, 2015 at 10:07am:
bogarde73 wrote on May 23rd, 2015 at 11:27am:

Wisdom is understanding just how much you don't know.

You certainly aren't very wise if you think you know everything or can know everything.
So another essential ingredient.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #6 - May 24th, 2015 at 2:26pm

issuevoter, some fairly wise insights often come out of the mouths of comedians.

I think medieval courts kept fools not just for entertainment

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 24th, 2015 at 2:39pm

bogarde73 wrote on May 24th, 2015 at 2:26pm:
ssuevoter, some fairly wise insights often come out of the mouths of comedians.

I was once told that you have to be very very smart to be successful as a comedian ... I tend to believe that to be very true.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #8 - May 24th, 2015 at 5:35pm

A wise guy once said to me, "The only time you will come remotely near to understanding the universe is when you are so convulsed with laughter that it hurts and you wish you could stop."

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #9 - May 24th, 2015 at 6:01pm

issuevoter wrote on May 24th, 2015 at 5:35pm:
A wise guy once said to me, "The only time you will come remotely near to understanding the universe is when you are so convulsed with laughter that it hurts and you wish you could stop."

Not funny.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #10 - May 24th, 2015 at 6:01pm

John Smith wrote on May 24th, 2015 at 2:39pm:

I was once told that you have to be very very smart to be successful as a comedian ... I tend to believe that to be very true.

You will never be a comedian then, only a clown?

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #11 - May 24th, 2015 at 6:07pm

Sorry about the trolling, John and Issue.

Wink

Seriously:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 24th, 2015 at 6:34pm

Soren wrote on May 24th, 2015 at 6:01pm:

never tried being a comedian Soren, I'll leave the funny stuff for you. I've spent many minutes on here laughing at you!

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #13 - May 24th, 2015 at 7:05pm

John Smith wrote on May 24th, 2015 at 6:34pm:

never tried being a comedian Soren, I'll leave the funny stuff for you. I've spent many minutes on here laughing at you!

I said sorry. Don't want to hijack the thread.

Couldn't resist the trolling. My weakness, sorry.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #14 - May 25th, 2015 at 6:17am

issuevoter wrote on May 24th, 2015 at 5:35pm:

Not funny.

It was not meant to be.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print