Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jazz albums that were outstanding (Read 953 times)
bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Jazz albums that were outstanding
May 14th, 2015 at 2:22pm

Dave Brubeck & Co were always thought of as the the coolest of the cool. Clinical even. Low on excitement.

But did anyone ever hear "Jazz at Oberlin"?
Apparently there had been a big argument in the band before (and during) the concert and I think it was Paul Desmond had a raging fever.
No lack of excitement in this performance. Desmond came across like a rampaging bull and Brubeck wasn't far behind him.

"Jazz Red Hot & Cool" was another of their albums to shine.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Stratos
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Jazz albums that were outstanding
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2015 at 2:34pm

Maynard Ferguson - Chameleon
Gordon Goodwin's Big Phat band - Swingin' for the Fences
Buddy Rich Big Band - Big Swing Face
Roy Hargrove - Earfood

Personal (mostly not jazz, but contemporary styles) favourite, Dave Weckl Band -  Synergy

Did you know Brubeck's son is a composer too?  he writes some truly bizarre stuff.

Pete Waldo wrote on Jan 15th, 2014 at 11:24pm:
Thus killing those Canaanite babies while they were still innocent, was a particularly merciful act

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #2 - May 15th, 2015 at 3:45pm

Familiar with Maynard Ferguson, but not that disc, and Buddy Rich of course.
Had an LP of a band led by Maynard at one time. One side was a jam session on a blues, the other was a jam on a Charlie Parker number.

I know this one would please at least one poster here who shall remain anonymous: "Art Pepper meets The Rhythm Section", the latter being the original Miles Davis rhythm section.
This was an absolutely seminal recording for me because it was my introduction to modern jazz. I just about wore the tracks out.
Here's a guy, Art Pepper, who was a custom-made original. Played like nobody else. Who remembers him?????

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #3 - May 15th, 2015 at 5:36pm

I have a number of CD compilations of great performances from the early years, but the album as such cannot be said to predate the ten inch vinyl about 1948.

Cannonball Adderley's LP Somethin' Else is high on my list of outstanding albums. And Bill Evans' Sunday at the Village Vanguard is another.

If you like strings, David Grisman's album Hot Dawg from 1979 is tops. It includes such luminaries as Darol Anger, Tony Rice and Stephane Grappelli.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

double plus good
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - May 16th, 2015 at 10:58am

Gershwin's songbook. Stunning!  The kids love it too.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #5 - May 17th, 2015 at 12:02am

Giant Steps - John Coltrane
Time Out - Dave Brubeck
Milestones - Miles Davis
Way Out West - Sonny Rollins
Focus - Stan Getz
John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman - John Coltrane/Johnny Hartman
Live At The Village Vanguard -Bill Evans Trio
Takin' Off - Herbie Hancock
Trio 99>00 - Pat Metheny
The Sidewinder - Lee Morgan
Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus
Smokin' At The Half Note - Wes Montgomery
The Definitive Vince" Guaraldi - Vince Guaraldi

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #6 - May 17th, 2015 at 8:15am

That's an important list, Marla. Do you have those on vinyl?

I am going to break with the bebop and modern jazz trend here. Back in the 1970s Milestone released a double album of tracks by Jelly Roll Morton taken almost directly from 78rpm disks. In my opinion, it was unlistenable. So much for analogue.

In 1988 Bluebird digitally remastered the tracks and produced a CD called Jelly Roll Morton: The Pearls. It has 23 tracks by Mr Jelly and various all star bands between 1923 and 1929. It is a stunning archive of what New Orleans jazz must have sounded like in the early years.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #7 - May 17th, 2015 at 12:04pm

A former girlfriend gave me Giant Steps as a breakup present.
I could never warm to it. I recognised the technical skill of it but to me it was brutal mostly. Maybe that's why she gave it to me.
For me there is an intrinsic quality which must be present in music which I guess I can best just identify as warmth. Warmth can be present in the angriest cries from Bird or the roar of the Basie band in full flight or the pain of Billie Holiday, but if it's not there it doesn't do it for me.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #8 - May 17th, 2015 at 12:22pm

Bohemia After Dark - Kenny Clarke, the Adderley Bros., Horace Silver et al.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #9 - May 19th, 2015 at 2:04am

bogarde73 wrote on May 17th, 2015 at 12:04pm:
A former girlfriend gave me Giant Steps as a breakup present.
I could never warm to it. I recognised the technical skill of it but to me it was brutal mostly. Maybe that's why she gave it to me.

Coltrane is not somebody I would recommend for the novice jazz listener. I've had numerous people say to me how much they were into 'A Love Supreme' but can never tell me why they like it. Much of that recording is a rough, boring listen. At least to me it is.

Giant Steps and Blue Train were the only two albums by him I personally admire.

I was more into jazz guitar players of the post-bop era like Bernie Kessel, Tal Farlow, Joe Pass, Wes Montgomery (particularity his trio work), Kenny Burrell (especially his work with Jimmy Smith), Pat Martino, and the great Jim Hall.

Wasn't big on horn players except the heavy hitters like Rollins, Hubbard, Miles, Adderly, Morgan, Desmond, and some Eric Dolphy.

There was a while back in 2010 when all I did was collect jazz since Blue Note was reissuing a lot of their catalog but then I moved and had a roommate who destroyed my listening experience with pop country crap like Kenny Chesney, Keith Urban, and worst of all, Miranda Lambert. 

I have yet to recover. 

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #10 - May 19th, 2015 at 9:25am

Not that I haven't enjoyed Coltrane. When he was with Miles' band he played some very "warm" soulful stuff and his tone was beautiful.

I had a Barney Kessel disc once. What a great player. I never heard much of those other guitar players.

BTW, I've long since abandoned my extensive record collection when I went into a non-music phase, so much of what I'm saying is just ancient memories.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #11 - May 19th, 2015 at 9:34am

Since I went back to school I've had little time for music myself.

I'm overdue to go back into my Bob Dylan phase.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #12 - May 20th, 2015 at 12:32pm

You have to give Keith Urban this much; he puts well constructed short guitar solos into his records, something that has not been done since the canaries took over pop music.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #13 - May 25th, 2015 at 3:22pm

Here's some Count Basie albums that stand out:

Dance Session - some great Neil Hefti Arrangements I seem to remember
Basie in London -  on full throttle with Big Joe Williams doing his thing
Breakfast Dance & BBQ - champagne swing

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print