Send Topic Print
Diesels or petrol (Read 2368 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Diesels or petrol
Apr 24th, 2015 at 6:50pm

I am unconvinced about diesels.

Have just bought a new 4WD mag that has a section on new diesels.
The new ones are VERY 'sensitive' to contaminated fuel.
Injectors do wear out, costing $1000's.
Repair bills on diesels run into many $1000's
The article says "given correct maintenance they can last for 500,000 kms".

Well, I have not driven many vehicles for 500,000 kms.
The maintenance on a diesel is MUCH more often and expensive than for a petrol.
Petrols last a long time too.

Diesels seem to be  a case of spending more on the purchase and less on every fill up hoping for no huge repair bill.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Re: Diesels or petrol
Reply #1 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 6:56pm

For regular big distances or high annual mileages, then a diesel, each and every time.

No idea about doing average miles in a mainly urban environment, I'm not sold on diesel sedans - especially those sold with as a performance vehicle. Then again, I've only ever driven two.

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 6:56pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 6:50pm:

Diesels seem to be  a case of spending more on the purchase and less on every fill up hoping for no huge repair bill.

Absolute horseshit.  The first diesel Cab I had came off the road as a Cab at 951,000 klms.  Engine not touched in any way.  The current diesel Cab has 419, 565 klms.  Engine not touched in any way.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 6:59pm

Your knowledge of diesels is on a par with your knowledge of Muslims.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 7:20pm

Aussie wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 6:56pm:

Absolute horseshit.  The first diesel Cab I had came off the road as a Cab at 951,000 klms.  Engine not touched in any way.  The current diesel Cab has 419, 565 klms.  Engine not touched in any way.

nail on the head aussie...

I have a Toyota commuter in my fleet which we only serviced every 15,000 kilometres...

a bit of oil, an oil filter, and every second service a fuel filter...

in 650,000 kilometres all we've put on it is two front shock absorbers and a fuel pump...

the fuel pump got changed at around 550,000 kilometres...

I changed the timing belt every 150,000 kilometres

in that time I've had to clean out the EGR system 3 times...

I use Hankook tyres as they are the best value for money.. Optimo's...

the motor is a 3ltr D-4D getting just under 10 lts per 100 kilometres...

my company car is a 2008 Holden Rodeo... 3 ltr Diesel..
over 200,000 kilometres on the clock... service very 10k... some oil and oil filter.. every second service.. fuel filter... front shockers have been replaced... that's it.. .not one cent more has been spent on the car...

I use Euro 5 Fuchs Oil.. Titan Cargo..

by the way... the Toyota Commuter.. still original wheel bearings, brake discs etc... I can't remember is we have rebuilt the alternator off the top of my head but I reckon we have.. while I was on leave...

I've had two Toyota's on my fleet and both alternators have lasted 500,000 Ks...

my Rodeo will do under 10 lts per 100ks ... highway usage I can get over 800 kilometres on one tank of gas... its a 73 lt Fuel Tank...

I never go near Mitsubishi.. or as they are known.. Old Smokey... Petrol or Diesel..

Nissan the same..

we also run two Mercedes Valente's...

service intervals... 30,000 Kilometres...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 7:43pm

how long do petrols last when used as a taxi and serviced every 10,000 kms ?

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 7:48pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 7:43pm:
how long do petrols last when used as a taxi and serviced every 10,000 kms ?

With a tinted Muslim driver, or a caucasian driver?

Grin  "caucasian taxi driver".

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 8:31pm

Quote:
.........LONG ISLAND'S IRV GORDON TO REACH THREE MILLION MILE MARK IN HIS VOLVO P1800 TODAY

Long Island's Irv Gordon to Reach Three Million Mile Mark in his Volvo P1800 Today

First Person to Drive Three Million Miles in Same Car Will Reach Ultimate Driving Milestone on Alaska's Seward Highway

Visit www.3MillionReasons.com to Follow His Journey and Submit Your Reason to Believe

ROCKLEIGH, N.J. (Sept. 17, 2013) – Today, 74-year-old Long Island native and retired science teacher Irv Gordon will reach a milestone no other individual has accomplished in more than 100 years of automobile manufacturing: driving three million miles in the same vehicle – a shiny, cherry red 1966 Volvo P1800.

To mark the occasion, Gordon will drive his three millionth mile today on the Seward Highway – Alaska Highway 1 – along the Turnagain Arm. The "Last Frontier" is one of two U.S. states Gordon has never visited and a fitting backdrop for this historic, record-breaking achievement. Video footage of Gordon's milestone moment can be viewed later this week at 3MillionReasons.com.

"It's not about getting to the three million miles; it's about the trips that got me to the three million miles," Gordon said. "I never had a goal to get to one million, to two million. I just enjoyed driving and experiencing life through my Volvo.".......

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/18/irv-gordons-volvo-p1800-has-hit-3-million-mil...

I imagine it is petrol.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 8:47pm

I 'imagine' the story is full of half truths.  It seems he has owned that car a long time and driven it that mileage..................but we have no idea how many times there had been an engine change.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 9:10pm

I bought a diesel in 1981, at the time it was a good idea because diesel was cheaper than petrol.

I think it took about 5 milliseconds after I bought the diesel Hilux that diesel got more expensive than petrol (it may have been a bit longer)

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Apr 24th, 2015 at 9:16pm

miketrees wrote on Apr 24th, 2015 at 9:10pm:
I bought a diesel in 1981, at the time it was a good idea because diesel was cheaper than petrol.

I think it took about 5 milliseconds after I bought the diesel Hilux that diesel got more expensive than petrol (it may have been a bit longer)

We are talking about reliability, not economy.  Well, I think so.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #11 - Apr 25th, 2015 at 5:10pm

I drive a Hyundai i30 Diesel hatchback and have put some ~73,000km on it in the last 18 months.  I use it for suburban, daily drive to and from work.  I've had it serviced every 15,000 km as per the log book.  Never had a problem with the engine or the rest of the car.   I get an average of about 850km per tank, which costs an average of $65 to fill every 10 days or so.   It's a pleasure to drive and it outperforms most of the petrol fired cars around me.

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 11:35pm

The hyundais have a good reputation for their diesels.

I have seen a lot of reports of the Toyota D4D needing the injectors replaced. Quite expensive job.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Apr 27th, 2015 at 11:44pm

Quote:
..........As mentioned in an earlier post, almost every failure of Hilux injectors and pumps can be traced to fuel, either the quality or the pressure. The incredible pressure that common rail systems operate under causes tremendous heat, which can break down the diesel fuel in the system. Breaking the fuel causes deposits and gumming in the injectors, and this problem is compounded when biodiesel enters the mix, as it degrades at a lower temp than regular fuel.

Higher rail pressures in the new fuel systems also place a huge emphasis on diesel lubrication versus older systems. New common rail systems absolutely demand almost perfect filtration, and just a small amount of contaminant or water will very quickly destroy Hilux injectors and pumps. Anyone who has had the pleasure of purchasing new Hilux or Prado injectors ($2000 per) knows the pain of that unexpected expense. Beyond the costs (expensive) of these items, a sticking injector can cause fuelling problems that will lead to catastrophic engine failure, so any injector rattle should be seen as a big danger sign . Below, you can see the difference between a properly running common rail engine and one with rattle on this Prado D4d..........

...................Failing injectors can sound like anything from a light rattle to an automatic weapon on the battlefield, and it can progress quickly, or as a gradually louder rattle over a long period. The problem could be diesel fuel contamination, or as we mentioned, a lack of lubrication could be sticking the injector. A problem common to Hilux and Prado injectors has to do with an internal seal failure, as discussed by Matt Bailey in a previous post.

New generation common rail injectors are designed with incredibly fine tolerances, and Baileys remanufactured injectors for the Hilux and Prado, sold in a set, are not only as good as the factory replacement injectors, they are better than the OEM, with each set perfectly matched for tolerance. These injectors are literally half of the price of OEM injectors, with twice the warranty, and Baileys offers unbeatable support both before and after the sale.

http://www.baileysdiesel.com/on-highway/hilux-injectors-and-rattles-in-the-commo...

if a company advertises they remanufacture a certain part, there is a problem with that part.

IP Logged

John_Taverner
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 7th, 2015 at 1:08pm

What you have to look out for is regeneration problems.  I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland WK2. This is a picture of my ride:

The Jeep diesel models, at least the 2014 model had this trouble with regens of the DPF (Diesel particulate filter)  which meant that it was going into limp mode (no faster than 50km/hr). A friend bought a Laredo and he had the same problem and more.  Jeep brought out a Technical Service bulletin in November which cured most of the trouble. At least for my part, it's running just great now. The fuel economy on long runs is about 7litres/100k and I'm finally confident enough to get some extras built in, but to start with I thought I had a lemon.

Now the VW Tiguan has much the same problem, and probably worse.

The problem is that Auto technicians don't have a clue about these systems and they blame it on poor diesel or anything that gets the dealership off the hook.

There is no major diesel contamination issue in Australia that I know of.  It's an urban myth.

72+Adelaide+Street  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print