Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print
Just Picked Up A New LC9 (Read 15643 times)
Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Just Picked Up A New LC9
Reply #15 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 3:48pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 12th, 2015 at 3:17pm:
I believe Baron posted a link to the recent Senate Report on the Illegal Gun Trade, Lionel ...

He most certainly did. I also posted a link:

" ... The majority report said the evidence, including that from law enforcement agencies, confirmed that most illegal guns did not originate from licensed firearm owners. ... " https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/27035909/shortfall-in-gun-data-senate-committee/

Yet we have this:

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 11th, 2015 at 11:42pm:
The majority of illegal firearms in Australia because of our relative isolation are stolen from "law abiding firearms owners".  ...

So here we are.

Where is the link to support your comment?

Cool

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #16 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 8:22pm

The majority of guns are legally owned in Australia, Lionel.

As we don't really know what proportion of the illegally owned firearms came from which source and won't 'cause the majority of Senators on the Senate committee, blocked any better collection of data, it appears neither of us can prove our point.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #17 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 9:05pm

How long has your Government been keeping a registry of who owns firearms?

Our Government and media throw around numbers that are just guesses, no one knows how many have survived and function in the last 150 years. Before Mexico disarmed their honest citizens it was not uncommon for them to import whatever was legal for them. After the laws changed there I imagine some crossed the border going south while the drugs crossed north. That is where Obama got the idea to create the massive crime known as "Fast and Furious" ordering a few large gun shops to sell to obviously unqualified buyers. The sales were used to attempt to falsely prove all Mexico's violence was caused by the American gun industry. This President and his followers believe the ends justify the means, don't expect honesty about this or anything else from this bunch. Hopefully the next President will be named Paul, Cruz or Walker!

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 9:07pm

Brian Ross wrote on Apr 12th, 2015 at 8:22pm:
The majority of guns are legally owned in Australia, Lionel. ...

I know that, Brian. Not even you could argue otherwise.

... As we don't really know what proportion of the illegally owned firearms came from which source and won't, it appears neither of us can prove our point.

I've gotta hand it to you, you keep getting up. Never say "die", eh?

So what you're telling me is that you're right, it's just that the 'data' hasn't been collected to support your previously stated position.

Mmmmm.

I think I'll claim this one, Brian. Given no references to the contrary, I think it's only fair.

And I'll certainly remember why references are sometimes hard to obtain:

" ... 'cause the majority of Senators on the Senate committee, blocked any better collection of data ".

That's even better than "such statistics are no longer collated".

Cool

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #19 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 11:28pm

Mortdooley wrote on Apr 12th, 2015 at 9:05pm:

Our Government and media throw around numbers that are just guesses, no one knows how many have survived and function in the last 150 years. Before Mexico disarmed their honest citizens it was not uncommon for them to import whatever was legal for them. After the laws changed there I imagine some crossed the border going south while the drugs crossed north. That is where Obama got the idea to create the massive crime known as "Fast and Furious" ordering a few large gun shops to sell to obviously unqualified buyers. The sales were used to attempt to falsely prove all Mexico's violence was caused by the American gun industry. This President and his followers believe the ends justify the means, don't expect honesty about this or anything else from this bunch. Hopefully the next President will be named Paul, Cruz or Walker!

You seriously expect them to be honest?  This is American politics, indeed, just politics, we are discussing here, isn't it?  I somehow doubt that any politician could claim to be completely honest, about anything...

The "Fast and Furious" ATF operation was not intended to prove anything other than as a means to track firearms and lead to the arrest and disbandment of the various Mexican drug cartels.   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #20 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 11:30pm

Lionel Edriess wrote on Apr 12th, 2015 at 9:07pm:
The majority of guns are legally owned in Australia, Lionel. ...

I know that, Brian. Not even you could argue otherwise.

Why would I, Lionel?  I would have hoped you believed me to be more honest than that!  Have I ever told a lie to you?

Quote:
... As we don't really know what proportion of the illegally owned firearms came from which source and won't, it appears neither of us can prove our point.

I've gotta hand it to you, you keep getting up. Never say "die", eh?

So what you're telling me is that you're right, it's just that the 'data' hasn't been collected to support your previously stated position.

Mmmmm.

I think I'll claim this one, Brian. Given no references to the contrary, I think it's only fair.

And I'll certainly remember why references are sometimes hard to obtain:

" ... 'cause the majority of Senators on the Senate committee, blocked any better collection of data ".

That's even better than "such statistics are no longer collated".

Cool

Each to their own, Lionel.  I think I'd call it a "draw" at best.   I suspect though, you'd be the one hiding from the results if the data was available...   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #21 - Apr 12th, 2015 at 11:36pm

I don't feel we share in the blame for criminal acts because our property is stolen. All firearms stolen from legal owners are still 100% the fault of the thief. A slogan was used about car theft back in the 60's I believe "Don't Let A Good Boy Go Bad" under the belief that the temptation to steal was more then some good people could overcome. Somehow if you left your keys in your car you shared in the blame, that makes as much sense as blaming a woman for her own rape based on how good she looks! So what I am saying is it makes no difference where they get the gun, they are the bad guys and deserve legal punishment. If your property is recovered it should be returned to you!

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #22 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 12:00am

Mortdooley wrote on Apr 12th, 2015 at 11:36pm:
I don't feel we share in the blame for criminal acts because our property is stolen. All firearms stolen from legal owners are still 100% the fault of the thief. A slogan was used about car theft back in the 60's I believe "Don't Let A Good Boy Go Bad" under the belief that the temptation to steal was more then some good people could overcome. Somehow if you left your keys in your car you shared in the blame, that makes as much sense as blaming a woman for her own rape based on how good she looks! So what I am saying is it makes no difference where they get the gun, they are the bad guys and deserve legal punishment. If your property is recovered it should be returned to you!

Well, I tend to agree with the coiners of that slogan.  You leave the keys in the car, you're asking for trouble.   Always remember though, locks are only ever designed to keep honest people out/away from the object they are protecting!

Gun owners, if they fail to secure their guns properly, are asking for trouble, particularly in such a lawless society as the USA's.   Do you secure your guns properly, storing the bolts separately (in the case of your semi/fully-automatic firearms)?   Or do you leave them lying around your household/car?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 2:45am

Mortdooley wrote on Apr 12th, 2015 at 11:36pm:
rubbish. Wake up to yourself.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #24 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 2:58am

We are not required to disable our firearms and ammo can be stored any way we choose. I feel better having a safe so my property doesn't get misused or stolen. There are no storage requirements just the responsibility to store them safely.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #25 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 3:22am

I obviously disagree, you are responsible for you and I am responsible for me. What you do is on you and you can't spread the blame. I am faultless if you steal my property and use it illegally. If I confront you taking or damaging my property I have no duty to retreat. I only have to argue that what I did was what a reasonable person might do in the same situation.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 11:53am

Mortdooley wrote on Apr 13th, 2015 at 2:58am:
We are not required to disable our firearms and ammo can be stored any way we choose. I feel better having a safe so my property doesn't get misused or stolen. There are no storage requirements just the responsibility to store them safely.

Which explains why children can all too often get a hold of firearms and kill themselves or other people.   Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 11:55am

Mortdooley wrote on Apr 13th, 2015 at 3:22am:
I obviously disagree, you are responsible for you and I am responsible for me. What you do is on you and you can't spread the blame. I am faultless if you steal my property and use it illegally. If I confront you taking or damaging my property I have no duty to retreat. I only have to argue that what I did was what a reasonable person might do in the same situation.

So, shootin' the alleged culprit in the back or because they were a person of colour is OK then?    Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

I think the person whose tryin' to shirk the blame for what happens on their property is you!  Society has a right to be safe from what you do or don't do on your property.   Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 12:47pm

The majority of guns are legally owned in Australia, Lionel.

As we don't really know what proportion of the illegally owned firearms came from which source and won't 'cause the majority of Senators on the Senate committee, blocked any better collection of data, it appears neither of us can prove our point.   Roll Eyes

The senate inquiry also pointed out a guess is the only way to come up with a number for illegal guns.

It takes a special kind of stupid to think criminals will participate in a survey on illegal gun ownership,drug users rarely dob in their supplier when caught so what makes you think a criminal with a gun will tell the truth on where he obtained the gun?
It's a waste of time and money to think you could get accurate data from criminals like bikies who never cooperate with the police.

The senators also blocked the suggestion for a national standard on security of gun club members data, there was no evidence presented to show gun club data security is a problem,this is another effort by the green bigots to demonise law abiding firearm owners.

Most can see this was just political grandstanding from the greens to appeal to the ignorant with their fear campaign against law abiding firearm owners.

The syndicate importing illegal glocks from Sylvania post office were caught when a glock with a serial number was recovered, the traced the glock back to Europe where it was purchased by one of the middle eastern people employed at Sylvania post office.
If the criminal was smart enough to remove the serial number from his glock they would never have been able to trace it.

All registered firearms have serial numbers, if you have a spare barrel for a rifle you must have the rifle serial number on the barrel.

If they recover a gun with a serial number the police can trace where it came from, if the gun has no serial numbers it cannot be traced.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Apr 13th, 2015 at 12:53pm

Mortdooley wrote on Apr 12th, 2015 at 9:05pm:

The senate inquiry had evidence all pistols were registered before 1996, none of them made it into the so called grey market of guns that were not handed in.

Registration of long arms came in 1996.

Canada had firearm registration they disbanded it because it did nothing to prevent crime, it is a waste of time and money.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 10
Send Topic Print