Sorry, B#

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Any jazz fans here?
Reply #151 - Jan 5th, 2017 at 10:10pm

There are those like Marla who will insist this is not Jazz. I cannot agree.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #152 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 12:05am

This Topic was moved here from Chat by Setanta.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #153 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 1:27pm

issuevoter wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 9:25am:
Well, its here, 2017, the centennary of many events, but musicologists will remember 1917 as the year the first commercial Jazz record was released.

The Livery Stable Blues by The Original Dixieland Jass Band was an immediate successes, and ODJB went on to make a lot of records. Of course the name of the band was misleading; it was not original. They were white musicians who had played in integrated bands in New Orleans. They learned there chops from Afro-American musicians. The title of the first Jazz band would be more fitting for the bands of Buddy Bolden or Jelly Roll Morton, but like the Blues revival of the 1960s, ODJB brought Jazz into the mainstream, and thereby created a market for the work of Afro-American musicians. So, something very good came out of it.

Livery Stable Blues is “Jass” in it rudimentary form, and when listening to it, one has to remember this was a time before electrical recording, when music was played into an accoustic horn and cut to a cylander or disc. Nonetheless, the music had a startling effect on most anyone who had not been down in the Storyville, the red light district of “Noo Orlins.” The dynamics of immediate improvs on the theme, and fills over held notes would eventually be absorbed Western popular music. New Orleans had a tradition of marching bands, and after the Civil War, the musicians began to fool around and show off in the street. They began to “Rag” the melodies in the 1890s, which is a genre ripe for improv. They also began to use flat 3, 5, and 7s, which became known as “Blue notes.” The synthesis turned up as entertainment in the brothels and saloons of Storyville which, ironically, were closed down in 1917, forcing musicians, and the girls, to move to places like Chicago and St Louis.

You would probably have read "Shining Trumpets" by Rudi Blesh, the bible on early jazz.
But I think he probably wouldn't listen to anything played after about 1930.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #154 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 5:47pm

I have not read Shining Trumpets, but I have read Marshall Stearns' The Story of Jazz, and a number of biographies. I also picked up a copy of the illustrated volume that accompanied the TV Series by Ken Burns. It is magnificent, and it was in the bin for $5.00.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #155 - Jan 10th, 2017 at 10:35am

I did hang out with some trad people at one time but musically many of them are frozen in time.
My jazz education in fact was along the lines of it's evolution.
My first interest was Dixieland, in particular Louie and also the Eddie Condon bands. (I may have quoted this before but I'm reminded of it again. Eddie Condon is reported as having said that the first time he heard Bix Beiderbecke it came out "like a girl saying yes")
Then I moved on through the swing bands, especially the Goodman band and the famous Carnegie Hall concert, and Basie.
My introduction to modern jazz would have been either Dave Brubeck or "Art Pepper meets the rhythm section".
I never looked back after that. It was everything from bebop (where I parked myself for a long time) to west coast to east coast. And on into Mingus & Miles. I was never all that struck on Coltrane though, except his earlier style.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #156 - Jan 22nd, 2017 at 7:53am

I have noticed that people tend to focus on one particular era in Jazz. My taste and consequent record collection is more eclectic, best described as American music 1860 to 1960, with some later affiliations. Its all interesting to me.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #157 - Mar 2nd, 2017 at 5:07pm

You might remember this guy issue voter. Sorry, reminiscing again.
Johnny Sangster he was when I first heard him, filling in on drums with the Port Jackson Jazz Band.
I bet I could probably still name everybody in the band. I expect they're all gone now.

But he was John Sangster when next I heard him. He was playing vibraphone with a group in a little dive called The Greedy Pig somewhere back of Taylor Square and a long way from New Orleans.
It was music to my ears. There was a guitarist called Kevin Norton I think, very Barney Kessel. I'm not sure but the bass player could have been Ed Gaston. Can't remember the drummer. It was a good group. MJQ with balls.

I was playing gigs myself by now and I asked Sangster if he would help me with harmony, which he did for a while.

John Sangster and his giant beard, his creativity and his ability to swing deserves a top place in Aussie jazz history..

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #158 - Mar 3rd, 2017 at 5:23pm

You are going back a bit, Boge. I was pretty young then, so I was limited in who I got to see. I was aware of the Port Jackson Jazz Band, but never got into any pub they played. I do remember John Sangster by name. My brother is a bit older and would remember him. I am a huge fan of vibraphone music, Lionel Hampton, Milt Jackson etc. The instrument was very popular in Hawaii in the 1940s and 50s when it was often paired with the Hawaiian Steel guitar. Arthur Lyman had a number hits with his brand of exotica.

Here is a famous example of Hawaiian guitar and vibes. Its not Jazz, but believe me, there are a lot of 9ths in it.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #159 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 9:15am

The heroin epidemic that haunted the world of jazz in the 1940s-1960s era. The scores of stars who were affected and the enlightened treatment at Lexington. You're looking at one in my icon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04y5j51

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #160 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 11:38am

The allegation about a very well known record label paying the musos in heroin is staggering.
That couldn't possibly be Blue Note could it?
They were the most prolific producers of the young bebop era.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #161 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 2:36pm

issuevoter wrote on Mar 3rd, 2017 at 5:23pm:
You are going back a bit, Boge. I was pretty young then, so I was limited in who I got to see. I was aware of the Port Jackson Jazz Band, but never got into any pub they played. I do remember John Sangster by name.

I was still in short pants probably. They did some concerts at the Sydney Conservatorium around 1954, my brother took me to see them.
A few years later I saw them a couple of times at the old Adams hotel but by then I was into bebop and other modern jazz.

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #162 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 4:16pm

issuevoter wrote on Jan 1st, 2017 at 9:25am:
Well, its here, 2017, the centennary of many events, but musicologists will remember 1917 as the year the first commercial Jazz record was released.

The Livery Stable Blues by The Original Dixieland Jass Band was an immediate successes, and ODJB went on to make a lot of records. Of course the name of the band was misleading; it was not original. They were white musicians who had played in integrated bands in New Orleans. They learned there chops from Afro-American musicians. The title of the first Jazz band would be more fitting for the bands of Buddy Bolden or Jelly Roll Morton, but like the Blues revival of the 1960s, ODJB brought Jazz into the mainstream, and thereby created a market for the work of Afro-American musicians. So, something very good came out of it.

Livery Stable Blues is “Jass” in it rudimentary form, and when listening to it, one has to remember this was a time before electrical recording, when music was played into an accoustic horn and cut to a cylander or disc. Nonetheless, the music had a startling effect on most anyone who had not been down in the Storyville, the red light district of “Noo Orlins.” The dynamics of immediate improvs on the theme, and fills over held notes would eventually be absorbed Western popular music. New Orleans had a tradition of marching bands, and after the Civil War, the musicians began to fool around and show off in the street. They began to “Rag” the melodies in the 1890s, which is a genre ripe for improv. They also began to use flat 3, 5, and 7s, which became known as “Blue notes.” The synthesis turned up as entertainment in the brothels and saloons of Storyville which, ironically, were closed down in 1917, forcing musicians, and the girls, to move to places like Chicago and St Louis.

The ODJB certainly have a significant place in the story of jazz, but they were not one of the great jazz bands other than in a historical sense.  If you listen to recordings they made years apart of the same items, you will find that the supposedly improvised parts are practically the same in all the recordings.  Their arrangements are rather repetitive and, after you have listened to several of their recordings, they all begin to sound the same.

I used to have an LP of all their 1917-1920 recordings, but it went out when I thinned down my LP collection about four years ago.  I have one only of their 78s, a rather commercial piece on a 12" English Columbia record, called Soudan (also known as Oriental Jass and Oriental Jazz), recorded during their visit to England in 1920.  The other side is a dreadful thing called Me-Ow, by the London Dance Orchestra.  I haven't listened to either side of this record for about 30 years.

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #163 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 4:29pm

Kenny G

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #164 - Mar 29th, 2017 at 8:43pm

Neferti wrote on Mar 29th, 2017 at 4:29pm:
Kenny G

Jazz!!!! Give me a phuquing break. Kenny G is the personification of Elevator Musak.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print