Send Topic Print
Any jazz fans here? (Read 34929 times)
issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Re: Any jazz fans here?
Reply #60 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 5:32pm

I am totally with you on this B73. If you like to read, check this book out.

In 1956 Marshall Stearns published "The Story of Jazz" to critical acclaim. The first edition had a wonderful Jazz family tree laid out in all its complexity. There is a tendency for contemporary views to describe Jazz as something that (apart from the blues) came about in a Louisiana vacuum. The book has a number of chapters on the background including West African rhythm, the contribution of Caribbean island culture and voodoo, and goes on to Minstrelsy and Ragtime. Armstrong spoke highly of the book.

Part One begins with this:

Sweet old lady, “What is Jazz, Mr. Waller?”

The late great Fats is said to have replied, “Madam, if you don’t know by now, DON’T MESS WITH IT!”

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #61 - May 1st, 2015 at 12:27am

bogarde73 wrote on Apr 28th, 2015 at 2:13pm:
It's truly remarkable the story of jazz.

From the brothels, dance halls and Dixie street bands of Noo Orleans to the sophistication of the 1930s swing bands and Carnegie Hall seems like the blink of an eye. One could go back to the songs, chants & laments of the cotton fields.
And from there to the bebop clubs of New York, the cool jazz of Brubeck, Gerry Mulligan on the West Coast, the Ivy League colleges and concert halls of Europe is like a nanosecond. And along the way there have been legions of stand out figures in the music, many now sadly only remembered by a few.

But the influence of jazz is astonishing on so much of the modern world. Say what you like about America but what it has given the world more than any other culture is improvisation. The music of India and the middle east contains improvisation but it has had nowhere near the influence of American jazz. The freedom of expression it represents has flowed through to all other art forms.

I'm not much of fan of Clint Eastwood but he did say something quite interesting back when he directed 'Bird' claiming that there are only two American art forms: one being the western and the other, jazz. I more or less agree with him.

As for his movie. Terrible. Casting Forest Whitaker was Charlie Parker was a brilliant, having the Hollywood spin that Parker was some sort of brooding misunderstood genius who never smiled wasn't.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #62 - May 1st, 2015 at 6:23am

I suppose you have seen the documentary Celebrating Bird, the triumph of Charlie Parker; a much better film. And then there is the biography Bird Lives by Ross Russell. Parker's music is some of my favourite, especially his early stuff.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #63 - May 1st, 2015 at 5:23pm

I read Bird Lives but it was a long time ago. I remember the bit about him sneaking into a dance Hall in Kansas City (I think) and watching the Basie band (I think). He watched the saxophone player and copied the fingering, but then he learned that he had to do it in every key. The man was a prodigy like Mozart.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #64 - May 2nd, 2015 at 3:15pm

Mingus Ah Um anyone?

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #65 - May 2nd, 2015 at 3:38pm

bogarde73 wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 11:23am:
Not holding my breath.

Sorry, but I've never smoked dope in my life or drunk cheap plonk - and so it's no good asking me.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #66 - May 2nd, 2015 at 3:39pm

C'mon Herb, I bet you were a fan of that famous British trad jazz band.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #67 - May 2nd, 2015 at 3:51pm

bogarde73 wrote on May 2nd, 2015 at 3:39pm:
C'mon Herb, I bet you were a fan of that famous British trad jazz band.

Never heard of it.

The last time I walked down into a basement where jazz was being played, I soon found myself stoned just from breathing... and then crawled back up the stairs chokin' and heavin' like that guy in the cinema in Midnight Cowboy.

IP Logged

MumboJumbo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #68 - May 2nd, 2015 at 3:52pm

Lord Herbert wrote on May 2nd, 2015 at 3:51pm:
The last time I walked down into a basement where jazz was being played, I soon found myself stoned just from breathing... and then crawled back up the stairs chokin' and heavin' like that guy in the cinema in Midnight Cowboy.

Grin

See Profile For Update wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 2:58pm:
Why the bugger did I get stuck on a planet chalked full of imbeciles?

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #69 - May 2nd, 2015 at 3:59pm

Another Taylor Swift fan.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #70 - May 2nd, 2015 at 5:56pm

Marla wrote on May 2nd, 2015 at 3:59pm:

If Bindi ever gets a recording contract, Herbie will be in seventh heaven.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #71 - May 2nd, 2015 at 6:26pm

MumboJumbo wrote on May 2nd, 2015 at 3:52pm:

Grin

Thank you.

Don't forget to collect your Discount Voucher for my next show as you leave the theatre.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #72 - May 2nd, 2015 at 6:30pm

Many years ago I used to have a scratchy old 78 rpm record of Duke Wellington. Does that count?

Tongue

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #73 - May 2nd, 2015 at 6:32pm

Marla wrote on May 2nd, 2015 at 3:59pm:

O god no, not you too Marla. That's the Irish coming out in you. The Italians love me. Just ask John.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #74 - May 2nd, 2015 at 10:07pm

Mingus, mellow, fantastic. . . . Sunny Goodge Street.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 12
Send Topic Print