Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print
Any jazz fans here? (Read 35078 times)
Happy Lucky
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Any jazz fans here?
Reply #45 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 2:02pm

Yes, your right. I meant Ornette. A major link between the joy of swing and the edge of be bop. Got a disc of Getz somewhere. Sounds like Doris Day on acid.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #46 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 2:03pm

He probably was when recording it. Would not put it past him.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Happy Lucky
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 2:07pm

This disc I've got kicking around somewhere is a lot of 'cool' standards. I think you'd have to be wearing a tux and drinking a cosmo to really get it.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #48 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 2:14pm

Eh, in the American vernacular of jazz, Getz was referred to as "West Coast Jazz" along with Brubeck and Paul Desmond. Sort of softer, catchier "hipster jazz" before hipsters became really annoying and discovered Apple laptops and Starbucks - and now they have legal weed.

*sigh*

Anyway, 'Focus' was a brilliant album by Getz - along with the output he did with Oscar Peterson. Quality stuff, that.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Happy Lucky
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 2:36pm

Same with Django; I can appreciate it but I like my jazz with a bit more 'ghetto'. Parker's 'blue' period,  Ornette and let's not forget Billie. Holiday's voice is like someone finding a tulip in the trash.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #50 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 3:49pm

Yes I have vague memories of someone playing me the Focus album. A very inventive and lyrical player Stan Getz. I did have an album Getz in Stockholm with some Swedish players.

Bird is the ultimate though. Angry and sweet in the early days with Diz, beautiful with strings.
There is a beautiful book for those interested - "Bird Lives".

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Happy Lucky
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 4:02pm

That's my favourite of all time, Bogey.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #52 - Apr 3rd, 2015 at 9:20pm

Marla wrote on Apr 3rd, 2015 at 1:10pm:
Oh well, best of luck with Kylie Minogue

Leave Kylie alone! She's almost human! Cry

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #53 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 7:46am

This one is for the trad jazz fans. Much of what was idiomatic in early jazz has been absorbed by popular music, but if you listen carefully to the fills and breaks here you can tell these blokes had highly developed jazz sensibilities in 1938. The trumpet solo at the end is top class.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 1:19pm

A great Aussie musician who came out of the trad jazz tradition but developed into one of those difficult to categorise - Bob Barnard.

Not that I've heard a lot of him but enough to know that he's a unique talent and always a pleasure to listen to.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #55 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 11:49am

I wonder what the guys in the Benny Goodman band would think if they knew people were driving around in 2015 listening to a CD of a concert they had played in 1935.

The world is an amazing place.

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #56 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 4:27pm

Just to put it in perspective. There was a lot of crap in 1935 too. We are bombarded with the idea that good music has to be recent. Its part of the worship of youth and beauty. If it is good it will last. Benny knew that.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Happy Lucky
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 6:22pm

True, but even the average stuff was better than the best stuff of today.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 9:28pm

Something popular rezoned:

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #59 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 2:13pm

It's truly remarkable the story of jazz.

From the brothels, dance halls and Dixie street bands of Noo Orleans to the sophistication of the 1930s swing bands and Carnegie Hall seems like the blink of an eye. One could go back to the songs, chants & laments of the cotton fields.
And from there to the bebop clubs of New York, the cool jazz of Brubeck, Gerry Mulligan on the West Coast, the Ivy League colleges and concert halls of Europe is like a nanosecond. And along the way there have been legions of stand out figures in the music, many now sadly only remembered by a few.

But the influence of jazz is astonishing on so much of the modern world. Say what you like about America but what it has given the world more than any other culture is improvisation. The music of India and the middle east contains improvisation but it has had nowhere near the influence of American jazz. The freedom of expression it represents has flowed through to all other art forms.

Added to that is the thrust it gave to the civil rights movement. The influence it had on the thinking of young people had to be immense when they saw & heard the genius that flowed from the black musicians. It was many of the leading white musicians, Benny Goodman and others, who forced hotel and dance hall owners to treat their black musicians on an equal basis.

The popular music of today owes a great debt to the jazz musicians past & present. I remember John Lennon saying how they would go down to the Liverpool docks to buy the latest blues records from the black seamen.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Send Topic Print