IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Bruce Lee
Reply #17 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:07pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 7:28pm:
rhino wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 7:12pm:
he was all show, great athlete but not much of a martial artist. Jeet kune do is crap. Along the same lines I saw a Wing Chun demonstration at a community centre today, I nearly laughed myself silly.

rubbish ... he in fact put many traditional martial artists to shame. They tried to stop him by sending one of their best to fight him, Wong Jack Man, but Lee kicked his butt. After that the traditionalists were to scared to challenge further.

Don't look at today's martial artists trained in Australia and try to compare them with how they were trained in Hong Kong 50 or 60 yrs ago. These days it's a business, they grade students that don't deserve it merely because they make more money doing so  ... back then, money wasn't a motivator. I watched a video of a real life training session from Japan in the 70s. When the instructor wanted to demonstrate a knock out, he knocked the students out cold, when the students came back to they would thank him  ... no trainer would dare try that in Australia for fear of being sued.
I didnt know I was talking to an expert, I beg your pardon. Whats your martial arts pedigree?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:12pm

rhino wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:07pm:
he was all show, great athlete but not much of a martial artist. Jeet kune do is crap. Along the same lines I saw a Wing Chun demonstration at a community centre today, I nearly laughed myself silly.

rubbish ... he in fact put many traditional martial artists to shame. They tried to stop him by sending one of their best to fight him, Wong Jack Man, but Lee kicked his butt. After that the traditionalists were to scared to challenge further.

Don't look at today's martial artists trained in Australia and try to compare them with how they were trained in Hong Kong 50 or 60 yrs ago. These days it's a business, they grade students that don't deserve it merely because they make more money doing so  ... back then, money wasn't a motivator. I watched a video of a real life training session from Japan in the 70s. When the instructor wanted to demonstrate a knock out, he knocked the students out cold, when the students came back to they would thank him  ... no trainer would dare try that in Australia for fear of being sued.
I didnt know I was talking to an expert, I beg your pardon. Whats your martial arts pedigree?

expert? no... never claimed to be either. But I do know that you are wrong.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:13pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:12pm:

How would you know? ever been in a fight?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:15pm

rhino wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:13pm:

5 yrs of Kan Zen Ryu Karate. I know enough to know that with only 5 yrs, I'm just a beginner.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:23pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:15pm:

5 yrs of Kan Zen Ryu Karate. I know enough to know that with only 5 yrs, I'm just a beginner.
Im not a beginner and I maintain Bruce lee was more of an actor than a martial artist, fighting those of other Kung foo styles doesnt count because all Kung foo is largely ineffective as a form of self defense against any skilled opponent..

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:35pm

rhino wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:23pm:

Im not a beginner and I maintain Bruce lee was more of an actor than a martial artist, fighting those of other Kung foo styles doesnt count because all Kung foo is largely ineffective as a form of self defense against any skilled opponent..

not denying he was an actor, but you have to remember that in that era, martial arts was a very traditional sport . There were no allowances made for the fact that modern men are taller, leaner and have developed different fighting techniques. Take a traditional fighting stance and any modern day fighter will break your leg in the first minute. This was part of Lee's problem with the traditionalist .. he wanted to modernise it, they wanted tradition. As far as martial arts goes, he was very good. Compared to modern day UFC champions, he'd probably get his but kicked.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #23 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:36pm

All skilled opponents know Chinese martial arts by definition!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

BatteriesNotIncluded
Gold Member

MediocrityNET: because
people died for this!

Reply #24 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:39pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:35pm:

not denying he was an actor, but you have to remember that in that era, martial arts was a very traditional sport . There were no allowances made for the fact that modern men are taller, leaner and have developed different fighting techniques. Take a traditional fighting stance and any modern day fighter will break your leg in the first minute. This was part of Lee's problem with the traditionalist .. he wanted to modernise it, they wanted tradition. As far as martial arts goes, he was very good. Compared to modern day UFC champions, he'd probably get his but kicked.

Because they are professional athletes with rules to play by!

He always said Muhammed Ali would beat him in the ring but a bar fight is different!

*Sure....they're anti competitive as any subsidised job is.  It wouldn't be there without the tax payer.  Very damned difficult for a brainwashed collectivist to understand that I know....  (swaggy) *

IP Logged

SweetLambo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 10:24pm

Clearly you are a beginner at best, you can maintain anything you like as you clearly know nothing about the subject. You didn't even know what Jeet Kune Do was and put it in the same basket as Wing Chun, that was PRICELESS.

The quran was not written by allah unless allah has no knowledge of science and historical facts. No quran or prophet mohammed existed until 60 years after mohammed's death.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #26 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 10:37pm

SweetLambo wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 10:24pm:

Clearly you are a beginner at best, you can maintain anything you like as you clearly know nothing about the subject. You didn't even know what Jeet Kune Do was and put it in the same basket as Wing Chun, that was PRICELESS.

Bruce Lee was a martial arts expert, he learned Wing Chun as a beginner while still in China, he  eventually, after he moved to America,  realised not all martial arts offered a style that was well rounded and more complete as a discipline , so he invented Jeet Kune Do and drew from Karate, Wing Chun and even boxing etc, he perfected a style using techniques from each , he developed his footwork taking cues from boxing and even dancing to be light on his feet.. his Jeet Kune Do is still relatively very young in the long history of established martial arts, many of which are hundreds of years old.

Lee was not an actor he was a martial arts expert - I think some get this confused because he took part in a couple of films in the 60s one of which was the Green Hornet and he used martial arts moves in the film-

Lee died at 31 due to being given a headache pill that he had a reaction too.
« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2015 at 10:43pm by Agnes »  

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #27 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 11:09pm

So...you.wan'... to..... fight? (bad lip synch).... haiyaaaaaaa

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 11:19pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:35pm:

weight divisions havent changed over the years, if Lee was fighting in the ring today he would be fighting in the same weight division as when he was alive. Heres the thing, what ring did he actually fight in? Really the only thing we have to show his skills is his movies, he certainly didnt fight against any traditional western martial artists. Kung Foo and Karate were largely unknown in the West until the 1960s when they took off big time, but their popularity wasnt in response to the results of real life contests between western and eastern martial arts, it was in response to movies portraying the alleged superiority of the eastern martial arts. In real life, in Western society the street effectiveness of Karate and kung Foo were still unknown. With the advent of UFC in the 90s it became apparent, at least to  me and a lot of other people what really worked in real life. Bruce lee had his day, he was a great actor and athlete but pound for pound he would get cleaned up by any MMA fighter today.

IP Logged

SweetLambo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 11:20pm

Agnes wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 10:37pm:
SweetLambo wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 10:24pm:

Bruce Lee was a martial arts expert, he learned Wing Chun as a beginner while still in China, he  eventually, after he moved to America,  realised not all martial arts offered a style that was well rounded and more complete as a discipline , so he invented Jeet Kune Do and drew from Karate, Wing Chun and even boxing etc, he perfected a style using techniques from each , he developed his footwork taking cues from boxing and even dancing to be light on his feet.. his Jeet Kune Do is still relatively very young in the long history of established martial arts, many of which are hundreds of years old.

Lee was not an actor he was a martial arts expert - I think some get this confused because he took part in a couple of films in the 60s one of which was the Green Hornet and he used martial arts moves in the film-

Lee died at 31 due to being given a headache pill that he had a reaction too.

Yes that's right, I trained under Walt Missingham who was trained by Dan Inosanto who was  Bruce Lee's student. Ah they were the days.

Good ole martial arts. You can weigh the Ego's in Kilograms Grin

The quran was not written by allah unless allah has no knowledge of science and historical facts. No quran or prophet mohammed existed until 60 years after mohammed's death.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print