Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dumping ground.... (Read 1771 times)
Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Dumping ground....
Mar 27th, 2015 at 2:11pm

Just wondering if it might not be apt to simply create a dumping ground page... You know, rather than admin being party to actively trashing the relationships board by utilising that as the dumping ground.

It may even be worth having it a locked forum, so if stuff is dumped there, it won't need a moderator because people can't post there...

Just a thought that seemed like appropriate "feedback"....

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Andrei.Hicks
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Carlsbad, CA
Re: Dumping ground....
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 5:20pm

There is an area where we can delete threads that you would never see again.

It may seem like Relationships is a dumping ground but in all honesty it isn't.
If we move threads but want to keep them for posting it's usually just to box it up into the most relevant place.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination - Oscar Wilde

IP Logged

Neferti
Gold Member

Canberra
Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 5:55pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Mar 27th, 2015 at 5:20pm:

If we move threads but want to keep them for posting it's usually just to box it up into the most relevant place.

Cool

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #3 - Apr 6th, 2015 at 11:39pm

Phemanderac wrote on Mar 27th, 2015 at 2:11pm:
Just wondering if it might not be apt to simply create a dumping ground page... You know, rather than admin being party to actively trashing the relationships board by utilising that as the dumping ground.

It may even be worth having it a locked forum, so if stuff is dumped there, it won't need a moderator because people can't post there...

Well, I don't know about creating a dumping ground page, But it seems the "Feedback section", is getting a small holiday?

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 8:46am

perceptions_now wrote on Apr 6th, 2015 at 11:39pm:
Phemanderac wrote on Mar 27th, 2015 at 2:11pm:

Well, I don't know about creating a dumping ground page, But it seems the "Feedback section", is getting a small holiday?

Have another look, it would seem the entire place is having a small break.

Oh, and it is posters who are having the holiday from feedback it would seem. But that is by no means the point...

Stuff not wanted elsewhere is almost automatically dumped into relationships - that is what is evident.

I guess it has kept the relationships post count up a bit.

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 3:08pm

It would seem that the initial request in the OP is once again quite relevant...

The continued "dumping" of threads into relationships is lazy, demonstrative of lack of moderation care and, quite frankly, disrespectful to ALL of the general boards and their sub moderators.

If making a dumping ground is too much work, or beyond technical capacity then perhaps simply dump the threads you are thinking of moving. That might send a more appropriate message to the thread wreckers (regardless of who we as individuals think they are....).

Further, when a topic has absolutely nothing to do with relationships per se, then it is even more obvious that the dump job is simply trolling the Relationships board mod.

Notice to ALL mods - your board could be next, it is after all done on a personal whim.

Here is another thought, there are several boards with absent or no mods - how about turn them into the dumping ground, clearly no one will care...

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 3:09pm

Andrei.Hicks wrote on Mar 27th, 2015 at 5:20pm:

Nail on head. Just do that then, simple really...

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2015 at 3:37pm

Phem, when the threads are removed to Relationships, people can continue to post in them. I have asked Aussie before and he has had no objection.

I do agree there should be a dumping ground for the threads that are still continuing but don't belong in the General Board area, however I don't get to make those kinds of decisions.

And just so you know, I am neither lazy nor disrespectful.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 2:24pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Apr 28th, 2015 at 3:37pm:
Phem, when the threads are removed to Relationships, people can continue to post in them. I have asked Aussie before and he has had no objection.

I do agree there should be a dumping ground for the threads that are still continuing but don't belong in the General Board area, however I don't get to make those kinds of decisions.

My apologies Annie (and Andrei by extension) I should have taken more time and care with how I framed that comment.

Given it is apparently just too hard to develop the dump board, I would, respectfully, suggest that if a thread has gone so far out of wack that it warrants moving, adopt a removal policy.

I stand by my original comment that using relationships as it is presently is disrespectful, I am aware you have only limited options available to you personally, so clearly, the architect of the board is being lazy and disrespectful.

Given some of the clear responses in the "Relationships" board version of this same topic, it is the mod and not the board being targeted by this current process. I would suggest that continued support of this system (i.e. moving threads to Relationships board when they become fecal throwing competitions) is merely reinforcing an ill conceived system.

The only upside is, it certainly increases the post count in relationships...

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #9 - Apr 29th, 2015 at 4:44pm

Phemanderac wrote on Apr 29th, 2015 at 2:24pm:
Annie Anthrax wrote on Apr 28th, 2015 at 3:37pm:

My apologies Annie (and Andrei by extension) I should have taken more time and care with how I framed that comment.

Given it is apparently just too hard to develop the dump board, I would, respectfully, suggest that if a thread has gone so far out of wack that it warrants moving, adopt a removal policy.

I stand by my original comment that using relationships as it is presently is disrespectful, I am aware you have only limited options available to you personally, so clearly, the architect of the board is being lazy and disrespectful.

Given some of the clear responses in the "Relationships" board version of this same topic, it is the mod and not the board being targeted by this current process. I would suggest that continued support of this system (i.e. moving threads to Relationships board when they become fecal throwing competitions) is merely reinforcing an ill conceived system.

The only upside is, it certainly increases the post count in relationships...

There are actually a few ways of dealing with threads, which have gone so far out of wack, as you put it -
1) It can simply be locked.
2) It can be transferred to the "defacto" dumping ground and for FD that seems to be Relationships.
3) It can be transferred to the area reserved for "forum staff/Global Mods". 

The best action, would depend on just how far out of wack it has gone.

And, for those who may not think so, YES there are posts & threads, which should not be allowed to remain on public view!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print