Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Need job advice (Read 2869 times)
pete98

Australian Politics

Need job advice
Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:05pm

I don't know if this is the wrong place to post this, but if it is then apologies.

Okay, so I'm really struggling to find a job at the moment. I'm still in school and I've been applying to new places weekly, sometimes daily, for over six months now and I've I haven't gotten anything.

I've been applying to places such as Coles, IGA, JB-HI-FI, EB Games, Pizza Hut, Dominoes, and other smaller business and I get turned away every time.

I don't have much on my resume. Some work experience at my dads business and some volunteer work is it. However, some employers have told me straight out that my lack of experience isn't a problem (I mean, who needs experience to stack shelves?) but it's just that they're not hiring.

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Is it really that hard for a teenager to get a job nowadays?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Need job advice
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:08pm

What area are you in?

sending in application forms, letters etc doesn't really work ...

you need to get out and knock on doors, all sorts of doors. Even in places where you don't know what they do or sell ... as long as you're keen, they'll be willing to train you. And don't let secretaries fob you off ... ask that you speak to the managers

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:17pm

IP Logged

pete98

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:19pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:08pm:
What area are you in?

you need to get out and knock on doors, all sorts of doors. Even in places where you don't know what they do or sell ... as long as you're keen, they'll be willing to train you. And don't let secretaries fob you off ... ask that you speak to the managers

I live in Melbourne. I'm just confused because all my mates have got jobs by sending in resumes. I don't know if there's something about me that people don't like the look of or what.

I've tried going to lots of small businesses and asking if they would be willing to hire me and that hasn't worked. A fair few of them have been quite rude about it too. I guess I'll just keep trying that.

Thank you.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:22pm

I hate to admit it but John is right- make phone calls- deliver resumes personally - try to hand them to who ever is doing the hiring (not the girl at the desk) and just ring places regardless if they have advertised anything or not- that's how I got the job I'm in now.
Volunteering can lead to work- be clean presentable and respectful. Dont give up hope- you will get a job. Going into businesses is a plus-they get see you and make an impression, and your just not another online/resume shoved across their desk. And yes speak to managersi'

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:25pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:17pm:

It does as does ringing and asking- most jobs are not advertised- I rang a place who didnt have a job advertised and got a job, be prepared to do anything at first.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:54pm

pete98 wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:05pm:
I don't know if this is the wrong place to post this, but if it is then apologies.

Okay, so I'm really struggling to find a job at the moment. I'm still in school and I've been applying to new places weekly, sometimes daily, for over six months now and I've I haven't gotten anything.

I've been applying to places such as Coles, IGA, JB-HI-FI, EB Games, Pizza Hut, Dominoes, and other smaller business and I get turned away every time.

I don't have much on my resume. Some work experience at my dads business and some volunteer work is it. However, some employers have told me straight out that my lack of experience isn't a problem (I mean, who needs experience to stack shelves?) but it's just that they're not hiring.

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Is it really that hard for a teenager to get a job nowadays?

Thanks.

I think you need a bit of patience. Someone will hire you soon enough, Just leave a resume at each place. Then come back in 6 months, if you have not got a job and apply again. I'm 36 and I still haven't got a job full time yet. Not that I have tried fully. Just that I don't need to get a job when I can pay the bills with the job I have now. If you live in the city, jobs should be plentiful. Regional and rural areas don't have a lot of jobs available, but they are there.

IP Logged

pete98

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:12pm

Thanks for the links. I've applied to all of them and checked out Seek many times but no dice Sad

IP Logged

pete98

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:12pm

Agnes wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:22pm:
I hate to admit it but John is right- make phone calls- deliver resumes personally - try to hand them to who ever is doing the hiring (not the girl at the desk) and just ring places regardless if they have advertised anything or not- that's how I got the job I'm in now.
Volunteering can lead to work- be clean presentable and respectful. Dont give up hope- you will get a job. Going into businesses is a plus-they get see you and make an impression, and your just not another online/resume shoved across their desk. And yes speak to managersi'

Thank you. I hope so.

IP Logged

pete98

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:15pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:54pm:

Thanks.

I think you need a bit of patience. Someone will hire you soon enough, Just leave a resume at each place. Then come back in 6 months, if you have not got a job and apply again. I'm 36 and I still haven't got a job full time yet. Not that I have tried fully. Just that I don't need to get a job when I can pay the bills with the job I have now. If you live in the city, jobs should be plentiful. Regional and rural areas don't have a lot of jobs available, but they are there.

I live in the inner-city and jobs really don't seem plentiful. I hate to think what it's like in the country.

Thanks for your help. It's just getting really frustrating.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:15pm

Good luck with it Pete.   Smiley

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:17pm

Pete - good luck.

Last time I was out of work I started my own gardening business.

Finding a job is hard work.
All the best

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

pete98

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:17pm

Black Orchid wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:15pm:
Good luck with it Pete.   Smiley

Thank you Smiley

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:17pm

Pffft! Once you get a job in regional towns, you have to stick with it loyally or else you will lose it to someone else.

IP Logged

pete98

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:19pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:17pm:
Pete - good luck.

Last time I was out of work I started my own gardening business.

Finding a job is hard work.
All the best

That sounds good. I made some flyers and posted them around offering to mow people's lawns, pull weeds etc. but that didn't work haha.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:30pm

Need job advice

You've come to the right place Pete, 99% of the posters on here are unemployed, on disability, sole parent or aged pension or part time casual hours.

Wait until Lisa comes on, she'll have the good advice you're waiting for, she's our very own 'wonder woman', Jill of all trades, involved in HR and all sorts of other things.....fair dinkum mate, you'll see.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #16 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:00pm

Thanks.

Send your resume back to your dad's business.

You can always keep working for him.  That way your resume won't go stale.

Don't forget to continue studying (after you complete your schooling).

All the best  Smiley

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:31pm

Ex Dame Pansi wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:30pm:
Need job advice

You've come to the right place Pete, 99% of the posters on here are unemployed, on disability, sole parent or aged pension or part time casual hours.

Wait until Lisa comes on, she'll have the good advice you're waiting for, she's our very own 'wonder woman', Jill of all trades, involved in HR and all sorts of other things.....fair dinkum mate, you'll see.

you have a thread with a young person asking for help, and you still couldn't resist having a cheap shot at lisa? And you have the hide to lecture others on how they behave? Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:36pm

pete98 wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:19pm:
What area are you in?

I live in Melbourne. I'm just confused because all my mates have got jobs by sending in resumes. I don't know if there's something about me that people don't like the look of or what.

I've tried going to lots of small businesses and asking if they would be willing to hire me and that hasn't worked. A fair few of them have been quite rude about it too. I guess I'll just keep trying that.

Thank you.

keep trying, don't lose heart, I spent several years on the  dole when i left school because no one would hire me. I ended up taking a pizza delivery job at night until I found something else.

remember, it's all about attitude, if you go in there looking like they've already said no, they'll say no. You need to go in excited, with a big smile, big heart and willing to give anything a go ..

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Ex Dame Pansi
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:53pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:31pm:
Need job advice

you have a thread with a young person asking for help, and you still couldn't resist having a cheap shot at lisa? And you have the hide to lecture others on how they behave? Cheesy Cheesy

Excuse me John Smith but it wasn't long ago that our Lisa helped another forum member when he was looking to change jobs. HR experience is a huge part in the employment industry and that's what she has.

Go 'cheap shot' yourself!

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." Hendrix
andrei said: Great isn't it? Seeing boatloads of what is nothing more than human garbage turn up.....

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #20 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 7:18pm

Need job advice

Leave Pansi alone John Boy.  Pete is doing all the right things- it's only a matter of time before he gets lucky...and Pete jobs are scarce everywhere atm- don't take it to heart - I have work now but I despaired there for a while like you are now - you're not alone- when we kick Abbott out jobs the jobs market will be easier - cheers.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #21 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 7:23pm

Need job advice

She did the same on Yahoo....year in, year out. She can't help it. It's an addiction.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #22 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 7:26pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:36pm:
What area are you in?

Thank you.

keep trying, don't lose heart, I spent several years on the  dole when i left school because no one would hire me. I ended up taking a pizza delivery job at night until I found something else.

remember, it's all about attitude, if you go in there looking like they've already said no, they'll say no. You need to go in excited, with a big smile, big heart and willing to give anything a go ..

Good grief! SEVERAL YEARS ON THE DOLE?

Why didn't you just go to Uni? Or TAFE even?

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 7:41pm

What area are you in?

Thank you.

Forget the knocking on doors unsolicited advice, might have worked 30 years ago but a business owners time is more valuable than continually answering unsolicited queries about job opportunities. Basically its down to your resume, lie at anything you can get away with and you have skills at. i.e you might have good skills pulling PCs apart because that may be your hobby, so invent some work experience at doing so. If you are not prepared to lie you are 2 steps behind other job seekers. Thats the unfortunate truth.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 7:44pm

Need job advice

you know everything Pansi, you must be so , so clever.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 7:45pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 7:26pm:
John Smith wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 5:36pm:
What area are you in?

Thank you.

Good grief! SEVERAL YEARS ON THE DOLE?

Why didn't you just go to Uni? Or TAFE even?

that was AFTER tafe ... Ass. Dip. Accounting. ... used it for toilet paper for all the good it did.

Couldn't afford uni, family circumstances meant I had to partially pay for my sisters uni education instead.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #26 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 7:46pm

rhino wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 7:41pm:
ie at anything you can get away with

not sure I'd give that advice although it does seem to be what the majority of people are doing.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #27 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 7:51pm

It most certainly is and if you can get away with it and be quite sure you will not get caught out- do. My sister lied her way into a very high level job as a Registrar of an Arts Centre in Sydney. I said to her "how in the hell did you do that, you don't know anything about being a registrar ?" She replied " I just told them what they wanted to hear and baffled them with bullshit--I made sure I caught onto everything very quickly and they were none the wiser." She is very articulate and they bought it.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 8:01pm

I used to hear it all the time when i used to paint, problem was it was easy to tell if they were lying or not  ... one guy comes to mind, told he he painted high rise for 7 years .. gave him a duster brush told him to pick a brush out of the brush bucket and and sent him up a ladder to paint the fascia

he walked past the brush bucket, crawled up the ladder, I could hear his knees knocking together from fear of heights from 50 m away, dipped his duster brush into the paint and started painted the same eaves we'd finished painting the day prior

no way he had ever worked at heights, no way he had ever used a paint brush, no way he had 7 yrs experience. .. sent him home after less than 5 minutes.

At the time, I needed someone and I would have kept him on if he'd been honest about his lack of skills.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #29 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 8:03pm

Aww he just wanted a job  Sad

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #30 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 3:48am

However, some employers have told me straight out that my lack of experience isn't a problem (I mean, who needs experience to stack shelves?) but it's just that they're not hiring.  I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Is it really that hard for a teenager to get a job nowadays?

I commend you in being steadfast in looking for a job. However, if you're not being hired such as you say then it's more of an economic issue and not a personal one so don't beat yourself up over this.

Even if you don't possess much of a resume don't let discourage you. Instead, tell your potential employer what your strengths might be. Are you mechanically inclined? Are you good at math? Do you work well with people who, let's face it, are not these most pleasant people in retail settings. Anything you see as a personal strength exploit it in an interview conversation without overselling it.

Also look for work close to your area, if possible. Employers do look for those who have reliable transportation so if you are lucky enough to have a car tell them that or you are well versed in bus routes and schedules. If not, then learn them.

Are you willing to work nights, weekends, and graveyard shifts? Sometimes when applying for a job it's no surprise you'll find yourself on the bottom on the totem pole and will have to adjust yourself to such schedules. It's not easy but starting new never is.

Finally, be assertive and confident when applying. Look at your potential employer straight in the eye when talking to them. Don't shy away if they happen to ask you tough questions (whatever they may be). Don't figit away or break eye contact for too long. Always shake their hand before and after the interview. Sit upright and dress nice. Employers do look for how well potential employees groom themselves and speak, so do stray from saying "Um, er, ah," in your answers.

And do follow up on your application(s) (which you seem to do). Depending upon the job, I would not wait more than two weeks to hear back or, call back to inquire. Keep on having a plan B so you're ready to move if the job your presently hoping for does not pan out.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #31 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 10:56am

Listen to the lady pete. All good advice and don't give up even if that means ringing back the same people in a few weeks to see if things might have changed.
They'll know you don't give up easily.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #32 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 11:24am

It's hard at the moment it's not just you do not become discouraged
It's a numbers game keep knocking on doors
You will get there,then make sure you invest in some training

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #33 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 6:36am

miketrees wrote on Mar 27th, 2015 at 11:24am:
It's hard at the moment it's not just you do not become discouraged
It's a numbers game keep knocking on doors
You will get there,then make sure you invest in some training

Hey Mike....good to see you  Smiley

How are things with you and your job searching these days?

IP Logged

Kat
Gold Member

Socialism IS the answer.

Everywhere and no-where
Reply #34 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 7:42am

John Smith wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 8:01pm:
I used to hear it all the time when i used to paint, problem was it was easy to tell if they were lying or not  ... one guy comes to mind, told he he painted high rise for 7 years .. gave him a duster brush told him to pick a brush out of the brush bucket and and sent him up a ladder to paint the fascia

he walked past the brush bucket, crawled up the ladder, I could hear his knees knocking together from fear of heights from 50 m away, dipped his duster brush into the paint and started painted the same eaves we'd finished painting the day prior

no way he had ever worked at heights, no way he had ever used a paint brush, no way he had 7 yrs experience. .. sent him home after less than 5 minutes.

At the time, I needed someone and I would have kept him on if he'd been honest about his lack of skills.

A quick check of how they hold the brush is a pretty good indication.

If they're holding it like a bat or tennis-racquet, they probably aren't a painter.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 7:59am

Need job advice

too funny...  Grin

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #36 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 8:10am

pete98 wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:12pm:
Volunteering can lead to work- be clean presentable and respectful. Dont give up hope- you will get a job. Going into businesses is a plus-they get see you and make an impression, and your just not another online/resume shoved across their desk. And yes speak to managers

'

Thank you. I hope so.

this is the best advice you'll get..

man up and walk straight into Businesses..

what makes you stand out with the other thousands that email in resume's? ........ nothing..

but if you dress up with a tie and a short hair cut you'll stand out from the rest of the plods.. don't take a phone into a business..

one of the biggest things that's pissing off employers at the moment is young folk on smacking mobile phones..  Angry

go and do a Barristers course... and then work for free in a café for a few weeks on weekends...

same with any other business you are interested in... go to bunnings and work for free on weekends..

"work experience"

make it happen... your first step was to come on here and seek advice.. the next thing to do is to take that advice and put it in to practice...

I worked as a manager for an agri business some years ago and most of the apprentices that I hired were from school based work experience.. the kids would come down and work once a week... if they were any good, I'd employ them at the end of the year...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #37 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 8:11am

Are you saying that honesty is the best policy?

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 8:13am

Kat wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 7:42am:
A quick check of how they hold the brush is a pretty good indication.

that's usually the way ... but in this case he didn't eve know what a brush was.  Grin Grin Grin

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #39 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 8:14am

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 8:10am:
pete98 wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:12pm:
Volunteering can lead to work- be clean presentable and respectful. Dont give up hope- you will get a job. Going into businesses is a plus-they get see you and make an impression, and your just not another online/resume shoved across their desk. And yes speak to managers

'

Thank you. I hope so.

this is the best advice you'll get..

man up and walk straight into Businesses..

what makes you stand out with the other thousands that email in resume's? ........ nothing..

but if you dress up with a tie and a short hair cut you'll stand out from the rest of the plods.. don't take a phone into a business..

one of the biggest things that's pissing off employers at the moment is young folk on smacking mobile phones..  Angry

go and do a Barristers course... and then work for free in a café for a few weeks on weekends...

same with any other business you are interested in... go to bunnings and work for free on weekends..

"work experience"

make it happen... your first step was to come on here and seek advice.. the next thing to do is to take that advice and put it in to practice...

I worked as a manager for an agri business some years ago and most of the apprentices that I hired were from school based work experience.. the kids would come down and work once a week... if they were any good, I'd employ them at the end of the year... 

My goodness why would anyone become a barrister then go work in a cafe? They usually work in a law chamber.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #40 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 8:15am

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 8:11am:

If you are going to embellish, you had better be certain that it's something they are unlikely to notice. The problem with painting is that everyone thinks they can do it ... but a professional can spot an amateur a mile away.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #41 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 8:20am

John Smith wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 8:15am:

If you are going to embellish, you had better be certain that it's something they are unlikely to notice. The problem with painting is that everyone thinks they can do it ... but a professional can spot an amateur a mile away.

That's a fair statement.

I never let my husband paint anything.  Why? He holds the paint brush as if it was a dirty sock.

Get the professionals in I say. They (ought to) know more ..and that's why they're hired.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #42 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 9:26am

Painting is easy - it's preparing the surface that's hard.

IP Logged

pete98

Australian Politics

Reply #43 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 12:39pm

Hi guys,

Sorry for my late response, I've been really busy. I've still been searching and applying for jobs but I haven't got anywhere yet. I've started looking out further away from home to see what's around and it's the same situation or worse. It's been depressing and disheartening overall. One employer even told me I should just go on Centrelink. On a side note, I never knew there were so many homeless people in the Melbourne CBD. I guess I could be a lot worse off.

I'm starting to think I should just wait until I finish school and try again then. Maybe with a VCE pass I'd be more desirable applicant?

Anyway, thank you all very much for your replies. I'll get around to replying  to you all soon  Smiley

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #44 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 12:50pm

Lisa Jones wrote on Mar 28th, 2015 at 8:20am:
The problem with painting is that everyone thinks they can do it ... but a professional can spot an amateur a mile away.
Get the professionals in I say. They (ought to) know more ..and that's why they're hired.

I don't agree.  You hire a professional if the job's too hard (say, the upstairs guttering and eaves for example), if you're too busy and don't have the time, or if you're just too lazy to do it.

"Professionals" invariably have to compromise on quality of finish so they can get the job finished in a short time.  Painting is the sort of job where you'll usually get a better result if you do it yourself.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #45 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 2:47pm

Wolseley wrote on Apr 16th, 2015 at 12:50pm:
The problem with painting is that everyone thinks they can do it ... but a professional can spot an amateur a mile away.

I don't agree.  You hire a professional if the job's too hard (say, the upstairs guttering and eaves for example), if you're too busy and don't have the time, or if you're just too lazy to do it.

"Professionals" invariably have to compromise on quality of finish so they can get the job finished in a short time.  Painting is the sort of job where you'll usually get a better result if you do it yourself.

Nope.  Disagree.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Apr 16th, 2015 at 6:28pm

Wolseley wrote on Apr 16th, 2015 at 12:50pm:

rubbish ... if you go after the cheapest quote that's half what everyone else has quoted, then yes, they will rush it. But if you don't know what you are doing it's best to stay away. Repairing a bad paint job will cost you more than it would have originally cost you to get it done.

Having said that, I know many LICENSED painters who don't have a clue what they are doing. The number of idiots that have argued with me that water based enamel is a real enamel or that they can paint over enamel with acrylic with no conversion coating  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Ask around, don't pick a painter based on price, pick on reputation.

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print