Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Need job advice (Read 2871 times)
pete98

Australian Politics

Need job advice
Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:05pm

I don't know if this is the wrong place to post this, but if it is then apologies.

Okay, so I'm really struggling to find a job at the moment. I'm still in school and I've been applying to new places weekly, sometimes daily, for over six months now and I've I haven't gotten anything.

I've been applying to places such as Coles, IGA, JB-HI-FI, EB Games, Pizza Hut, Dominoes, and other smaller business and I get turned away every time.

I don't have much on my resume. Some work experience at my dads business and some volunteer work is it. However, some employers have told me straight out that my lack of experience isn't a problem (I mean, who needs experience to stack shelves?) but it's just that they're not hiring.

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Is it really that hard for a teenager to get a job nowadays?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Need job advice
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:08pm

What area are you in?

sending in application forms, letters etc doesn't really work ...

you need to get out and knock on doors, all sorts of doors. Even in places where you don't know what they do or sell ... as long as you're keen, they'll be willing to train you. And don't let secretaries fob you off ... ask that you speak to the managers

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:17pm

IP Logged

pete98

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:19pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:08pm:
What area are you in?

sending in application forms, letters etc doesn't really work ...

you need to get out and knock on doors, all sorts of doors. Even in places where you don't know what they do or sell ... as long as you're keen, they'll be willing to train you. And don't let secretaries fob you off ... ask that you speak to the managers

I live in Melbourne. I'm just confused because all my mates have got jobs by sending in resumes. I don't know if there's something about me that people don't like the look of or what.

I've tried going to lots of small businesses and asking if they would be willing to hire me and that hasn't worked. A fair few of them have been quite rude about it too. I guess I'll just keep trying that.

Thank you.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:22pm

I hate to admit it but John is right- make phone calls- deliver resumes personally - try to hand them to who ever is doing the hiring (not the girl at the desk) and just ring places regardless if they have advertised anything or not- that's how I got the job I'm in now.
Volunteering can lead to work- be clean presentable and respectful. Dont give up hope- you will get a job. Going into businesses is a plus-they get see you and make an impression, and your just not another online/resume shoved across their desk. And yes speak to managersi'

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #5 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:25pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:17pm:

It does as does ringing and asking- most jobs are not advertised- I rang a place who didnt have a job advertised and got a job, be prepared to do anything at first.

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #6 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:54pm

pete98 wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:05pm:
I don't know if this is the wrong place to post this, but if it is then apologies.

Okay, so I'm really struggling to find a job at the moment. I'm still in school and I've been applying to new places weekly, sometimes daily, for over six months now and I've I haven't gotten anything.

I've been applying to places such as Coles, IGA, JB-HI-FI, EB Games, Pizza Hut, Dominoes, and other smaller business and I get turned away every time.

I don't have much on my resume. Some work experience at my dads business and some volunteer work is it. However, some employers have told me straight out that my lack of experience isn't a problem (I mean, who needs experience to stack shelves?) but it's just that they're not hiring.

I'm not sure where I'm going wrong. Is it really that hard for a teenager to get a job nowadays?

Thanks.

I think you need a bit of patience. Someone will hire you soon enough, Just leave a resume at each place. Then come back in 6 months, if you have not got a job and apply again. I'm 36 and I still haven't got a job full time yet. Not that I have tried fully. Just that I don't need to get a job when I can pay the bills with the job I have now. If you live in the city, jobs should be plentiful. Regional and rural areas don't have a lot of jobs available, but they are there.

IP Logged

pete98

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:12pm

Thanks for the links. I've applied to all of them and checked out Seek many times but no dice Sad

IP Logged

pete98

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:12pm

Agnes wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:22pm:
I hate to admit it but John is right- make phone calls- deliver resumes personally - try to hand them to who ever is doing the hiring (not the girl at the desk) and just ring places regardless if they have advertised anything or not- that's how I got the job I'm in now.
Volunteering can lead to work- be clean presentable and respectful. Dont give up hope- you will get a job. Going into businesses is a plus-they get see you and make an impression, and your just not another online/resume shoved across their desk. And yes speak to managersi'

Thank you. I hope so.

IP Logged

pete98

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:15pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:54pm:
pete98 wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 3:05pm:

Thanks.

I think you need a bit of patience. Someone will hire you soon enough, Just leave a resume at each place. Then come back in 6 months, if you have not got a job and apply again. I'm 36 and I still haven't got a job full time yet. Not that I have tried fully. Just that I don't need to get a job when I can pay the bills with the job I have now. If you live in the city, jobs should be plentiful. Regional and rural areas don't have a lot of jobs available, but they are there.

I live in the inner-city and jobs really don't seem plentiful. I hate to think what it's like in the country.

Thanks for your help. It's just getting really frustrating.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:15pm

Good luck with it Pete.   Smiley

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:17pm

Pete - good luck.

Last time I was out of work I started my own gardening business.

Finding a job is hard work.
All the best

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

pete98

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:17pm

Black Orchid wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:15pm:
Good luck with it Pete.   Smiley

Thank you Smiley

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #13 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:17pm

Pffft! Once you get a job in regional towns, you have to stick with it loyally or else you will lose it to someone else.

IP Logged

pete98

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:19pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 4:17pm:
Pete - good luck.

Last time I was out of work I started my own gardening business.

Finding a job is hard work.
All the best

That sounds good. I made some flyers and posted them around offering to mow people's lawns, pull weeds etc. but that didn't work haha.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print