Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Destablilizing Perception (Read 3455 times)
____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Destablilizing Perception
Mar 25th, 2015 at 9:56pm

Adam Curtis’s beautiful, gripping film unravels a story of violence, bloodshed and bitter ironies - Beginning with a fateful meeting between President Roosevelt and King Abdulaziz of Saudi Arabia, Curtis delves into a mass of historical archives to shed light on Afghanistan and the west.

‘Increasingly, we live in a world where nothing makes any sense,” says Adam Curtis. “Events come and go like waves of a fever, leaving us confused and uncertain. Those in power tell stories to help us make sense of the complexity of reality, but those stories are increasingly unconvincing and hollow.”

So Curtis – who made The Century of Self, The Power of Nightmares, and The Trap: What Happened To Our Dream of Freedom – has made a new film, called Bitter Lake, about why those stories stopped making sense, and to try to make sense of them. It’s available only on BBC’s iPlayer, because that means it doesn’t have to fit in with tedious constraints like schedules (it’s two hours 18 minutes long) or conventional ideas about what television should look like.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Re: Destablilizing Perception
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 12:33am

The feeling of present day meaninglessness has an interesting history. You'd need a book to explain it all. In the West, it goes all the way back to Rousseau. But there's been plenty of nihilists after him though: Schopenhauer, Frankfurt School, Gramsci, Lukacs, critical theorists, deconstructionists, and post-structuralists. It all eventually culminates in Derrida.

Given that higher education focusses on, and has focussed on for some time now, highly critical and pessimistic interpretations of life, it's a given that finding meaning becomes close to impossible. Even liberalism empties meaning out of existence by reducing everything to the individual.  

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 12:35am

But this thread has something to do with Afghanistan, right?

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #3 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 1:41pm

I found the documentary very interesting, but the premise of the trailer does not play out in the one hour video. Perhaps it does in the other half. I hope I can find it. The idea that nothing makes any sense is a bit of journalese, like the "Arab Spring." Now there is a term that makes no sense.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #4 - Mar 26th, 2015 at 11:04pm

Hmmm ... short thread by the looks. I better go screech at the government to give me more money; that seems to be a popular topic.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 11:21am

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Mar 26th, 2015 at 12:33am:
The feeling of present day meaninglessness has an interesting history. You'd need a book to explain it all. In the West, it goes all the way back to Rousseau. But there's been plenty of nihilists after him though: Schopenhauer, Frankfurt School, Gramsci, Lukacs, critical theorists, deconstructionists, and post-structuralists. It all eventually culminates in Derrida.

Given that higher education focusses on, and has focussed on for some time now, highly critical and pessimistic interpretations of life, it's a given that finding meaning becomes close to impossible. Even liberalism empties meaning out of existence by reducing everything to the individual.  

But don't you like Nietzsche?

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 6:03am

What saves Nietzsche is his insistence for people to create meaning. Not only that, most of Nietzsche's seeming pessimism is a sounding out of nihilists.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 3:30pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Mar 30th, 2015 at 6:03am:
What saves Nietzsche is his insistence for people to create meaning. Not only that, most of Nietzsche's seeming pessimism is a sounding out of nihilists. 

Mistie, Nietzsche is a nihilist.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 12:08am

Well, I suppose it depends on your interpretation of nihilism. He didn't believe in objective truths, for morality anyway; I suppose that could be interpreted as a form of nihilism.

He calls Christianity and similar outlooks nihilist because they borrow from a non-phenomenal world (a noumena?) to interpret the phenomenal world.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 1:16am

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 12:08am:
Well, I suppose it depends on your interpretation of nihilism. He didn't believe in objective truths, for morality anyway; I suppose that could be interpreted as a form of nihilism.

He calls Christianity and similar outlooks nihilist because they borrow from a non-phenomenal world (a noumena?) to interpret the phenomenal world.

Nietzsche said that?

Gee, Mistie, I guess it does depend on your interpretation.

Of Kant.

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 8:41am

Poor old greenswin , confused and unable to make sense of the world.

This does not surprise me as the green voter (an inner city intellectual from the chattering classes) has lost touch with nature. (the irony that those that preach green are so divorced from nature).

So i'll tell you how it is in the "natural " world.

There is a peck order,  humans and animals inherently understand this.

i'm number 1, my horses are number 2

power goes from top to bottom.

in the family, the man and woman are number 1 and the kids are number 2.

the number 2 in this scheme is taught respect and through being treated well is taught trust and with respect and trust you build a "loving" relationship.

this goes for the horses in training and the kids in training.

you can achieve nothing in life until you recognise this basic flowchart.

leaders lead, followers respect.
leaders look after followers, followers develop trust.
a mutual relationship of care follows.

its the law of every family, society, community, herd and military unit that has ever existed throughout time.

so , in the area of world politics or geo political arena.

USA leads, other countries respect,
USA and other countries build trust.
Good relationships follow.

the problem in the world of today is that the USA (the parent) has allowed disrespect to emerge.
north korea, thru the middle east...and lots more. nations which should respect or be made to respect DONT.

the leader (whilst holding to a strict desire to help and to teach) must never ever allow disrespect to flourish.

If you let a horse in training or a child in training "get away with it, even once" you have upset the whole system.

So what America should have done (and now needs to do) is to exert a zero tolerance policy on disrespect.

china and japan are working well with the USA. there is no reason that wayward children  cannot be brought into line but it requires the mindfulness to come down with overwhelming force the moment a
wayward state steps out of line. in fact, it is best to come down hard when they look like they are going to step out of line.

I look forward to the USA resuming its rightful role as the world leader.  we have suffered enough under insipid and timid leadership.

IP Logged

gone
Gold Member

Australian Politics

somewhere
Reply #11 - Apr 2nd, 2015 at 5:14pm

aquascoot wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 8:41am:

This does not surprise me as the green voter (an inner city intellectual from the chattering classes) has lost touch with nature. (the irony that those that preach green are so divorced from nature).

the number 2 in this scheme is taught respect and through being treated well is taught trust and with respect and trust you build a "loving" relationship.

its the law of every family, society, community, herd and military unit that has ever existed throughout time.

the problem in the world of today is that the USA (the parent) has allowed disrespect to emerge.
north korea, thru the middle east...and lots more. nations which should respect or be made to respect DONT.

the leader (whilst holding to a strict desire to help and to teach) must never ever allow disrespect to flourish.

If you let a horse in training or a child in training "get away with it, even once" you have upset the whole system.

So what America should have done (and now needs to do) is to exert a zero tolerance policy on disrespect.

china and japan are working well with the USA. there is no reason that wayward children  cannot be brought into line but it requires the mindfulness to come down with overwhelming force the moment a
wayward state steps out of line. in fact, it is best to come down hard when they look like they are going to step out of line.

I look forward to the USA resuming its rightful role as the world leader.  we have suffered enough under insipid and timid leadership.

LOL young America is the child and old Europe the parent, my friend. Every American president is a 100% puppet of European Royals. And every American president who refused to obey, died... Wink

Having said that, it's time to overthrow those Royals, they've become way too nasty.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Apr 4th, 2015 at 11:40pm

According to Aquascoot, the parents (the Third Reich and Bushido Japan) should still be in power for imposing a zero tolerance on disrespecting the Fuhrer/Emperor.

Thank heavens Aquascoot’s parents aren’t still in charge.
« Last Edit: Apr 5th, 2015 at 12:16am by Mattyfisk »  

IP Logged

____
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Australia
Reply #13 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 8:47am

Aquascoot has forgotten

- the U.S. debt to China is $1.25 trillion, as of November 2014.

- China Overtook The US As The World's Largest Economy (according to the International Monetary Fund.)

USA is heading to being the Spain of today ... a has been superpower.

Meanwhile back on topic, conservative lies and then backflips are a part of this destablilizing perception. Trouble with cons, it's not a planned campaign since they are confusing themselves the most.

IP Logged

gone
Gold Member

Australian Politics

somewhere
Reply #14 - Apr 5th, 2015 at 11:40am

gone wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 5:14pm:
aquascoot wrote on Apr 2nd, 2015 at 8:41am:

LOL young America is the child and old Europe the parent, my friend. Every American president is a 100% puppet of European Royals. And every American president who refused to obey, died...(edit: got murdered) Wink

Having said that, it's time to overthrow those Royals, they've become way too nasty.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print