Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Can't hit a barn door? (Read 4563 times)
John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Can't hit a barn door?
Reply #15 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:40pm

Marla wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:10pm:
I'm a gun owner (I know, an American with a gun - what shock) and all I had to do was register the weapon and go through the waiting period.

Classes were not required and most of my firearm training came from my days when I was in the military even though I took them anyway. And no, I am not an NRA member although I get endless mail from them asking for money.

I guess what I'm getting at is there must be some sort of the same requirements in Australia, such as background checks, maybe firearm instruction? Also, (how can I phase this...?) even if you qualify for licensure of ownership are you restricted to use only by club - meaning you can only fire your weapon on a shooting range and have to keep it there?

Sorry if this sounds so boring. I find this interesting.

here you Must be a member of a registered club first, for which you need police clearance, then you must undertake a basic safety course. You can apply for a gun license after you have been a member of the club for at least 6 months and shot a minimum of 3 times (you are allowed to use the clubs guns in the meantime).

If you nominate in your application that you shoot Western at the club, you can only own a gun that is used for Western, if you nominate NRA, you can only use a gun of the caliber that is used in NRA. A license does not give you free reign to buy as many different guns as you like. You are of course allowed to own more than one gun, but you must shoot the required shoots annually for each category of gun that you have.

There are restriction about how you store your guns and ammunition (separately and under lock and key). You can expect police to turn up to your house randomly to check that you meet these requirements

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #16 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:42pm

I am not happy with marlas line of questioning- she /he is gathering information for what purpose? She /he wont explain- says "in time".

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:44pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 12:59pm:
John Smith wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 12:53pm:
Marla wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 12:30pm:
What does one have to do in Australia to be a licensed gun owner?

if you are talking handguns, you must be a member of a registered club and you must shoot at that club, with your gun, at an organized meet a minimum of 6 times a year.

It will also vary from State to State.

(Think I'll go google.)

For a pistol licence which is only allowed for target shooting on police approved ranges,Category H licence-

You need to be a member of a club, you must pass a 6 month probationary period before you are allowed to purchase a pistol then it has to be less than .38cal (a .357 magnum is allowed it's smaller than a .38  Shocked)
It's a 28 day wait for your first permit to acquire to be approved so it's about 7-8 months before you are allowed to buy your own pistol after getting a licence.

You need to pass background checks for criminal record and mental health, this is another 28 day wait for licence after application is received.
You need to do a safety course and buy a gun safe to comply with safe storage.

Here you go Aussie, for Qld-
www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponslicensing

Take note of how Qld is the only state to reverse the ban on semi auto centrefire for primary producers.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #18 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:44pm

Quote:
meaning you can only fire your weapon on a shooting range and have to keep it there?

No.....it can be kept at home as I have mentioned.  It is also lawful to have it with you if doing so meets the criteria under which you were given the licence....i.e......you can carry it to and from your Gun Club.

(That one seems pretty easy to fudge around.  During hours when your Club was open, you could carry and if you were detected....you'd simply say...."I'm on the way to the Club...just stopped off to..... *here insert reason why you were intercepted at a place not on a direct route from your home to or from the Club.*)

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #19 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:45pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:31pm:
...you have to get a license to acquire every gun you want to have.....a license to acquire for each gun in advance of purchase.  You then have to meet pretty expected conditions about where/how the weapon is kept in your home....magazine separate from weapon, each in a secure place.

Lots of hoops to jump through before that gun ends up in your possession legally.

Okay, that makes it clearer. Although I'm guessing gun ownership seems to be restricted to handguns and not semi-auto assault weapons. Personally, I am against such firepower myself for civilian use.

Here, the laws are just as strict from anything such as  transportation to storage to registration although they follow after purchase, not before. 

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:46pm

Agnes wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:42pm:
I am not happy with marlas line of questioning- she /he is gathering information for what purpose? She /he wont explain- says "in time".

what do you care why she wants the information?  and she did explain, not her fault you didn't like her answer.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #21 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:47pm

Agnes wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:42pm:

Meaning I'd love to go to Australia. I have another year of grad school, internships, job seeking before I go anywhere. No need for such paranoia.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #22 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:47pm

Marla wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:20pm:
In time.

Although I wouldn't go there as a tourist or even bring a camera with me for that matter but rather observe your judicial and social system(s). Makes me wish I had a political minor as an undergrad.

Reason I'm asking is (and I may have said this somewhere on this forum before) that I had thought Australian gun laws were extremely strict as compared to other parts of the world. 

That is an answer huh?

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #23 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:48pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:44pm:
Aussie wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 12:59pm:
John Smith wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 12:53pm:
Marla wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 12:30pm:
What does one have to do in Australia to be a licensed gun owner?

if you are talking handguns, you must be a member of a registered club and you must shoot at that club, with your gun, at an organized meet a minimum of 6 times a year.

It will also vary from State to State.

(Think I'll go google.)

For a pistol licence which is only allowed for target shooting on police approved ranges,Category H licence-

You need to be a member of a club, you must pass a 6 month probationary period before you are allowed to purchase a pistol then it has to be less than .38cal (a .357 magnum is allowed it's smaller than a .38  Shocked)
It's a 28 day wait for your first permit to acquire to be approved so it's about 7-8 months before you are allowed to buy your own pistol after getting a licence.

You need to pass background checks for criminal record and mental health, this is another 28 day wait for licence after application is received.
You need to do a safety course and buy a gun safe to comply with safe storage.

Here you go Aussie, for Qld-
www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponslicensing

Take note of how Qld is the only state to reverse the ban on semi auto centrefire for primary producers.

Yeas, thanks Baron...I had read that site.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:49pm

Aussie wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:44pm:
It is also lawful to have it with you if doing so meets the criteria under which you were given the licence....i.e......you can carry it to and from your Gun Club.

the ridiculous thing about that is that a 16 yr old can carry a gun on a bus as long as he is traveling to and from the range .... not sure about you but i find that a little crazy given that if I walk out of the club with an empty shell stuck to the bottom of my boot it dislodges into my car and police find it a week later during a random stop, I can be charged with the carrying an illegal weapon.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Our esteemed leader:

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:50pm

In time.

Although I wouldn't go there as a tourist or even bring a camera with me for that matter but rather observe your judicial and social system(s). Makes me wish I had a political minor as an undergrad.

Reason I'm asking is (and I may have said this somewhere on this forum before) that I had thought Australian gun laws were extremely strict as compared to other parts of the world. 

We have a loser pays system with civil lawsuits here which means the loser can end up paying the legal fees for the winner, it cuts down on frivolous lawsuits.

Our laws are pretty strict, a good behaviour bond for anything will result in loss of firearms licence and guns confiscated if they are not surrendered to a gunshop to sell.

New Zealand has a good compromise with gun laws,it's considered rude to not use sound moderators there,they allow semi auto centrefire for hunting.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:54pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:49pm:
It is also lawful to have it with you if doing so meets the criteria under which you were given the licence....i.e......you can carry it to and from your Gun Club.

the ridiculous thing about that is that a 16 yr old can carry a gun on a bus as long as he is traveling to and from the range .... not sure about you but i find that a little crazy given that if I walk out of the club with an empty shell stuck to the bottom of my boot it dislodges into my car and police find it a week later during a random stop, I can be charged with the carrying an illegal weapon.

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I agree about the bus stuff.....not so sure about an empty casing in your car.  That's just a piece of useless metal.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #27 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:54pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:40pm:
here you Must be a member of a registered club first, for which you need police clearance, then you must undertake a basic safety course. You can apply for a gun license after you have been a member of the club for at least 6 months and shot a minimum of 3 times (you are allowed to use the clubs guns in the meantime).

I had always believed that Australia had some of the toughest gun restrictions for civilian use and were not so accessible in terms of private ownership. They seem to be more logical than here where you can walk into any gun show and with proper ID, credentials and most of all, money, and that's it, you own a gun.

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #28 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:54pm

Agnes wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:47pm:
In time.

That is an answer huh?

I am a bit suspicious of a newbie who comes on and wants to know about gun laws and the in and outs of our legals surrounding it..but thats just me. Keep answering all her questions, by all means...

IP Logged

Baronvonrort
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #29 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:55pm

John Smith wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 3:49pm:

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

You might want to double check that some states don't allow you to carry firearms on public transport.

In most states empty cases are ok, the status changes if it has a primer or powder in it.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print