Lunch (Read 23282 times)
Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Lunch
Mar 21st, 2015 at 4:47pm

Food for thought

We often hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day – that it sets us up for a day of healthy eating; provides essential nutrients including fibre, vitamins and minerals and supports weight control.

As we have this discussion though, let's not forget about how important lunch is when it comes to weight control.

The common scenario which now sees busy workers, mums and students eating their 'lunchtime' meal at 2pm or 3pm; and choosing 'lunch' options such as sushi, wraps, rolls and stir fries which are packed full of carbs not only plays havoc with our hormonal balance and cravings but it also sees us consuming a significant number of calories in the second half of the day, when we are least active.

On any weight loss plan, it is a general perception that the less we eat the better, which can somewhat explain the reason why dieters choose a light breakfast and try and hold off from eating lunch for as long as possible. This is the worst thing you can do if you are trying to lose weight.

The human body is programmed according to a circadian rhythm – this means that the body naturally wants to burn calories during the day when it is most active and then more likely to store at night.

Eating late in the day or many hours after rising fails to tap into the metabolic boost we naturally get during the first half of the day, which is why we feel so hungry mid-morning on days we are consuming breakfast early.

Hunger every three to four hours is a good sign, it is a sign you are burning your food well. For this reason, the earlier you have your lunch, even in place of a late morning snack, the better it will be for your metabolic rate. If you are hungry at 11am or 11.30am, eat your lunch then rather than holding off and then bingeing on sweet foods at 3pm or 4pm because your blood glucose has dropped significantly, which can leave you ravenous and prone to overeating.

Lunch also holds the key to nutritional balance – a lunch too low in carbohydrates, such as a tuna salad, can leave you vulnerable to sugar cravings later in the day, while a lunch such as white rice sushi or a Turkish bread sandwich can overload you on fuel and refined carbs, making it difficult to lose weight.

Achieving the right lunch balance to support weight loss and weight control is relatively easy once you know the mix to aim for.

To get the amount of vegetable bulk we need to keep full for another 3-4 hours we need at least 2-3 cups of salad and/or vegetables at lunch.

Next a decent serve of protein such as canned tuna, lean chicken breast or beef or beans or tofu if you prefer a vegetarian eating plan.

The amount of carbohydrate you will need will depend on your level of activity. If you sit down all day for work, just ½ -¾ cup sweet potato, beans or brown rice or a slice of bread or a few crackers will be adequate; more active workers may require one or two cups.

Finally do not forget the good fat – olive oil dressing, nuts or avocado will help to slow your digestion after lunch and keep you full.

In fact, a recent study published in Nutrition Journal found that individuals who included half an avocado with their lunch felt more satisfied and had lower blood glucose levels than dieters who did not.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/why-lunch-holds-the-key-to-weig...

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Re: Lunch
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 5:14pm

You are right, lunch is really important.  Too many of us force down breakfast because we think it will kick our metabolism into gear and then skip lunch.

I often skip lunch because I eat a late breakfast and cannot eat until I have been up for awhile.  I guess it is a combination breaky/lunch, but I know that I really should eat them separately.

Eating lunch helps to stimulate brain function which is something most of us need  Grin

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 5:49pm

Can only handle brunch here....

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 9:02pm

Black Orchid wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 5:14pm:
You are right, lunch is really important.  Too many of us force down breakfast because we think it will kick our metabolism into gear and then skip lunch.

I often skip lunch because I eat a late breakfast and cannot eat until I have been up for awhile.  I guess it is a combination breaky/lunch, but I know that I really should eat them separately.

Me too. Today we went on a little road trip to the markets at Bangalow and Nimbin. Woke up after 7 and we were in the car by around 9. I had my first bite to eat at Nimbin pub at around 1 - a vege burger. The kids had breakfast, of course, but my husband is like me. I haven't eaten since and probably won't now because I'm not at all hungry, which can't be good for you. Husband is on night shift, so I packed him some sandwiches that he'll probably eat around midnight.

Sounds healthy, huh?  Grin

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 3:27pm

Today - home made pizza. Dough made in bread machine (about the only time it gets used).
Tomatoes, salami, olives, mozza.
(Oh and a red)

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 3:33pm

the southern Europeans have the right idea with lunch as the main meal of the day, and a light snack in the evening

the siesta in the middle is also a good idea Wink

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 3:42pm

1. Absolutely, better for digestion
2. No time. Well, there was a time but it wasn't for sleeping.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 12:16pm

A home made gourmet burger made from rough minced rump steak, washed down with ginger beer.

Ginger beer is a very refreshing drink with something like that and has great therapeutic qualities for the digestion.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 1:28pm

What a great lunch!

Brown Windsor Soup:
The quick modern way -  good quality gravy beef (the only thing), garnish with rosemary & tyme & a crumbled stock cube, microwave for 3 mins medium.

You've already simmered your vegetables for an hour in beef stock.

Add the gravy beef and simmer for a further 15 mins.
Voila!

Followed by some delish Dutch Gouda and English Leicester & fruit.

Coffee coming up in a mo.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 8:36pm

I had king prawns for lunch today but I bought them green and cooked them.  Next time I will buy them already cooked.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 8:18pm

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 11th, 2016 at 1:28pm:
What a great lunch!

Brown Windsor Soup:
The quick modern way -  good quality gravy beef (the only thing), garnish with rosemary & tyme & a crumbled stock cube, microwave for 3 mins medium.

You've already simmered your vegetables for an hour in beef stock.

Add the gravy beef and simmer for a further 15 mins.
Voila!

Followed by some delish Dutch Gouda and English Leicester & fruit.

Coffee coming up in a mo.

Ooops I missed this excellent contribution.  My bad.  It deserves a .....

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 8:24pm

So you sprinkle a stock cube and some herbs on the beef then nuke it?

I have never cooked meat in the microwave to be honest.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 11:18am

Black Orchid wrote on Aug 14th, 2016 at 8:24pm:
So you sprinkle a stock cube and some herbs on the beef then nuke it?

I have never cooked meat in the microwave to be honest.

I reckon it would be tough....to be honest.....

I am making spring rolls...I will freeze them for later..

I am going out for dinner tonight at the Raiders club....I will get my beanie out its here somewhere...

nothing like a home cooked meal you havent cooked and no dishes to clean up...my kind of feed.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 1:37pm

Not tough. 3 mins & then you're simmering it with the veg for 15 mins or so. Tender as a woman's . . .

PS I did say it's in stir fry size pieces or did I forget that.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 4:29pm

I still dont fancy it boges.. to me it is the slows cook that enhances it....I am so old fashioned...and I like the dark brown colour which you dont get with microwave..

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #15 - Aug 31st, 2016 at 2:06pm

Home-made pizza.
I can't abide the commercial products, either the take aways or those dreadful supermarket things.

Easy peasy to make. Make the dough in the breadmaker, make your sauce etc while you wait & pop it in the oven.

I favour very sparse toppings.

IP Logged

President Elect, The Mechanic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Sep 1st, 2016 at 7:55pm

this is one of my typical days meals..

this is how you should be eating... let me know if you want to see other days.. like Eggs and Bacon for Breakfast etc...

Breakfast and Snacks - Lunch and Snacks - Dinners

Sat -  Day 1

Breakfast/Snacks

Berry Bircher Muesli
Wholemeal & Seed Toast with Peanut Butter
Honey Yoghurt

Red Apple

Lunch/snacks

Smoked Beef, Baby Cucumber and Fruit Chutney Multigrain Sandwich

Orange
Almond & Mango Fruit Mix
9 Grain Crispbread with Butter and Vegemite

Dinner

Roast Beef and vegetables

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #17 - Sep 3rd, 2016 at 9:56pm

That sounds like a very healthy menu, Mechanic.

I had a red salmon and cucumber sandwich for lunch today and am trying trying to eat a lot more protein at every meal.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Sep 5th, 2016 at 7:05pm

Black Orchid wrote on Sep 3rd, 2016 at 9:56pm:

I had a red salmon and cucumber sandwich for lunch today and am trying trying to eat a lot more protein at every meal.

not a fan of Red Salmon..

but I've had most of these

https://www.liteneasy.com.au/nova/food_dinners.html

and these

https://www.liteneasy.com.au/nova/library/1500%20Calorie%20SPRING%20Menu.pdf

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Sep 8th, 2016 at 6:24pm

Black Orchid wrote on Sep 3rd, 2016 at 9:56pm:

what sort of bread did you use?

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #20 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:02pm

Wholemeal but I am trying to avoid bread altogether at present.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #21 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:18pm

During the week, breakfast and lunch is strong coffee. I just ate sushi and that'll be it for me for today. I usually have a nut bar in my bag in case I feel hungry at work, but that rarely happens anymore.

On weekends I do better.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #22 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:20pm

I often use lettuce as an alternative to bread, Black Orchid. You can throw in lots of good stuff and roll it up. Yum.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:26pm

Black Orchid wrote on Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:02pm:

me too BO.. bread bloats me now days....and its hardly satisfying I find so I tend to eat too much so I am going without altogether which is a bit hard to do when you are used to having bread with everything...

Annie Anthrax wrote on Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:20pm:
I often use lettuce as an alternative to bread, Black Orchid. You can throw in lots of good stuff and roll it up. Yum.

welcome back Anne.. where you been?

yes lettuce does the job.. but it goes off before you can eat it all.... and it doesnt carry well....I might make some scotch eggs does anyone like them??..

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #24 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:27pm

Hi Annie it's good to see you back again.  I do the same thing as I am trying to do high protein and very low carbs, at least for a few weeks.

I never get sick!!!   But I have had this lingering weird thing for a month now and I am determined to get rid of it.

Hence my new approach.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #25 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:30pm

cods wrote on Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:26pm:

me too BO.. bread bloats me now days....and its hardly satisfying I find so I tend to eat too much so I am going without altogether which is a bit hard to do when you are used to having bread with everything...

yes lettuce does the job.. but it goes off before you can eat it all.... and it doesnt carry well....I might make some scotch eggs does anyone like them??..

I agree Cods.  My sister suffers from Coeliac Disease and, although I don't, I am finding that as I get older bread and carbs just don't make me feel good.

I made some scotch eggs just recently.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #26 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 7:58pm

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 31st, 2016 at 2:06pm:
Home-made pizza.
I can't abide the commercial products, either the take aways or those dreadful supermarket things.

Easy peasy to make. Make the dough in the breadmaker, make your sauce etc while you wait & pop it in the oven.

I favour very sparse toppings.

I've discovered a really good pizza hack.
I pull this out when daughter had friends over at last minute. I always have nepolitana sauce in the freezer so that takes 2 mins to sort out.

Get the toppings ready and put them on Lebanese bread and into the oven. It's different from pizza but really good and really quick.

IBI

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #27 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 8:37pm

I use Leb bread too.  I always have some in the freezer, a knob of Pepperoni and a squeezie bottle of pizza sauce in the fridge

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #28 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 8:46pm

Black Orchid wrote on Sep 12th, 2016 at 8:37pm:
I use Leb bread too.  I always have some in the freezer, a knob of Pepperoni and a squeezie bottle of pizza sauce in the fridge

Do you put the ingredients onto the bread while frozen? 
I find the bread burns before even the cheese melts sometimes. Maybe being frozen could sort that

IBI

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #29 - Sep 12th, 2016 at 8:55pm

Gordon wrote on Sep 12th, 2016 at 8:46pm:
Black Orchid wrote on Sep 12th, 2016 at 8:37pm:

Do you put the ingredients onto the bread while frozen? 
I find the bread burns before even the cheese melts sometimes. Maybe being frozen could sort that

No I lay them out on the kitchen bench for 10 minutes before I put the toppings on and I  turn the oven to NO more than 180 degrees and check them in 10 minutes.   I haven't burnt any yet.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #30 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 9:49am

Black Orchid wrote on Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:30pm:
cods wrote on Sep 12th, 2016 at 6:26pm:

I agree Cods.  My sister suffers from Coeliac Disease and, although I don't, I am finding that as I get older bread and carbs just don't make me feel good.

I made some scotch eggs just recently.

were they good??......I always used sausage mince but that was a long time ago...and they were rolled in breadcrumbs although I mostly use cornglake crumbs mixed with Panko.. what mince do you use?..

I read where quite a few coeliac sufferers do not respond to the gluten free diet they are beginning to think gluten free is not always the answer..

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #31 - Sep 14th, 2016 at 1:35pm

They were ok.  Just ok.  Hold that thought!   I wasn't that fussed on them at all lol

You just can't get the old style sausage or sausage mince anymore so I used beef mince and I also crumbed them with Panko crumbs.  The Americans still have old style sausages and they make great sausage gravy.  With what we have on offer now we just can't get that old homestyle taste anymore.

They have a knob of sausage mince in Coles I have noticed but that is beef mince too.  Perhaps that mixed with some pork mince might be a good combo?

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #32 - Sep 15th, 2016 at 2:20pm

Salad rolls.
I remember still the salad rolls they made in our tuck shop back in the 1950s.
Can't get back the same taste sensation now even if I make it myself.
Is this a time illusion? Possibly but I don't think so.

The ingredients can't be replicated. The bread rolls aren't the same. Lettuce, tomato, cucumber etc, there all different varieties now and just don't have that je ne sais quoi.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #33 - Sep 16th, 2016 at 4:10pm

Black Orchid wrote on Sep 14th, 2016 at 1:35pm:
They were ok.  Just ok.  Hold that thought!   I wasn't that fussed on them at all lol

You just can't get the old style sausage or sausage mince anymore so I used beef mince and I also crumbed them with Panko crumbs.  The Americans still have old style sausages and they make great sausage gravy.  With what we have on offer now we just can't get that old homestyle taste anymore.

They have a knob of sausage mince in Coles I have noticed but that is beef mince too.  Perhaps that mixed with some pork mince might be a good combo?

have you tried buying the Italian ones.. they do at least have a few herbs in them..a butchers is best as gawd only knows what the supermarkets put in them  including heaps of salt...

boges the sandwiches of yore.. had crunch.. we dont have that now even cucumbers are not crunchy..I use celery a lot..and I love my beetroot...and I like real lettuce not this mix stuff they have in bins thanks.. my family all swear by that mix and I cant stand it  that is not lettuce to me.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #34 - Sep 16th, 2016 at 9:37pm

this year I've probably eaten more food than what I would normally...

by volume...

also by variety...

I have lost 13 kilograms.. but it could have easily been more but for my weekend.. errrr,, .. indiscretions..  Embarrassed

my recent blood tests show...

good cholesterol levels.. (of the bad cholesterol)
good cholesterol levels.. (of the good cholesterol)
good kidney functions...
good blood sugar levels...
good Blood Pressure...
good prostate levels..
etc

WOW ...  Shocked

eat well...
lose weight..

and all of the western world diseases, sicknesses, illnesses and joint issues miraculously disappear..  Shocked

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #35 - Sep 16th, 2016 at 9:40pm

ask yourself... '

when was the last time you had a variety of fruits in the same week..

red apple
green apple
orange
mandarin
kiwi fruit
pear
peaches
apricot (juiced and dry)
pineapple

« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2016 at 7:41am by President Elect, The Mechanic »  

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #36 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 12:57pm

Just about every day.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #37 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 3:49pm

I might add to that, at least once a week I make a big bowl of fruit salad & stick it in the fridge.
Diced apple, orange, grapefruit, kiwi fruit, pineapple, raspberries, strawberries, banana - varies according to seasonal factors.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #38 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 4:22pm

Wood fired Pizza at the Swell festival, Currumbin.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 4:46pm

President Elect, The Mechanic wrote on Sep 1st, 2016 at 7:55pm:
this is one of my typical days meals..

this is how you should be eating... let me know if you want to see other days.. like Eggs and Bacon for Breakfast etc...

Breakfast and Snacks - Lunch and Snacks - Dinners

Sat -  Day 1

Breakfast/Snacks

Berry Bircher Muesli
Wholemeal & Seed Toast with Peanut Butter
Honey Yoghurt

Red Apple

Lunch/snacks

Smoked Beef, Baby Cucumber and Fruit Chutney Multigrain Sandwich

Orange
Almond & Mango Fruit Mix
9 Grain Crispbread with Butter and Vegemite

Dinner

Roast Beef and vegetables
too  much sugar.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #40 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 7:24pm

One word people.. pulses! They are truly magic for your body.

I'm on a mission to lose about 5kg asap, not much but I'm really going after the visceral belly fat that can't be seen.

Going to stick to this for about a month with a few break days per week when social occasions dictate.

Breakfast - porridge with nothing..just porridge

Lunch - 1 can of red beans, drained and rinsed with a really big bowl of mixed salad

Snack - a pear or apple

Dinner - 1 can of black beans with a really big bowl of mixed salad

Evening snack - more salad, if I'm starving, a boiled egg

1hr walking 4x a week
3 x 30sec all out till failure hill sprints 2x per week
Light weights

IBI

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #41 - Sep 17th, 2016 at 8:11pm

good luck with that Gordon...

Q

The STORM has arrived
Every Dog Has Its Day...
Dark to Light.
Sheep no more.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #42 - Sep 18th, 2016 at 9:27am

Gordon wrote on Sep 17th, 2016 at 7:24pm:

I'm on a mission to lose about 5kg asap, not much but I'm really going after the visceral belly fat that can't be seen.

Going to stick to this for about a month with a few break days per week when social occasions dictate.

Lunch - 1 can of red beans, drained and rinsed with a really big bowl of mixed salad

Snack - a pear or apple

1hr walking 4x a week
Light weights   

good luck gordy....salad and beans... ummmmmmmmmmm

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #43 - Sep 18th, 2016 at 10:27am

cods wrote on Sep 18th, 2016 at 9:27am:

Snack - a pear or apple

1hr walking 4x a week
Light weights   

There's really good science that shows pulses sort out cholesterol and blood sugars. I've been doing porridge breakfast, beans lunch for about a year then normal (large) diner.

So I'm just doing an extra hard core push to get super trim and attack the internal fat you can't see.

Last 3 days I've been on about 1000 calories and I feel fine, did a 6km run this morning.

IBI

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #44 - Sep 19th, 2016 at 9:55am

Gordon wrote on Sep 18th, 2016 at 10:27am:
cods wrote on Sep 18th, 2016 at 9:27am:

Snack - a pear or apple

1hr walking 4x a week
Light weights   

There's really good science that shows pulses sort out cholesterol and blood sugars. I've been doing porridge breakfast, beans lunch for about a year then normal (large) diner.

So I'm just doing an extra hard core push to get super trim and attack the internal fat you can't see.

Last 3 days I've been on about 1000 calories and I feel fine, did a 6km run this morning.

wow   let me know the results.. its the runs I cant do....I have heart and back problems I do a bit then have to take a rest.. hopeless...I hate it but what can you do....

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #45 - Oct 13th, 2016 at 6:33pm

Had great lunches Tue and Wed at Clare Valley wineries. Lunches were incredible, the wines that came with them even better! Oh yeah!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 9:20am

hello monk.. see you havent lost any of your taste for the good life...I take it you bought some wine??.

you will have to start your own grapes if you ever move to tassy that is??>.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #47 - Oct 14th, 2016 at 7:49pm

Bought many a lovely wine, codsy! Clare Valley is renowned for its dry whites.

The sparkling riesling served with the entree was fine indeed, crisp and dry, much nicer than the b o r i n g usual “pinot noir chardonnay” sparkling crap. Bought several bottles of it.

The food was lovely, too. If you ever see camel meat (might mean moving beyond “super” markets to farmers markets etc. Camel is delicious—the tastiest meat of all, beyond beef, pig mutton etc. And it is a bloody pest present in plague numbers. Even (sick) vegetarians should eat camel!

But the meal at Skillogalee winery, well, it was so good I am pinching it for my christmass eve dinner party, just expanded to 5 or 6 courses and 3 or 4 wines.

King George Whiting, $50+/Kg, only one fillet per person so just make it superb!

For the rest, a chilled soup is nice, superb if it is really hot christmass eve. Big cold camel pie for mains? OK, I guess.

Desert? Gelato? Jelly? Could I trifle with sponge, jelly and icecream mayhaps? Nah, boring!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #48 - Oct 15th, 2016 at 4:54pm

Reckon a nice dinner for 4 on 24 Dec 2016

Entree
Thai fish cakes, served cold–Seven Hills Monastery sherry
2 per person, incl cucumber relish

Soup
Chilled soup, gazpacho or similar—skillogalee 2016 Riesling

Fish
Grilled fillet King George Whiting—skillogalee 2016 Riesling

Main—served hot or cold depending on the weather
Game pie/camel pie—Skillogalee 2015 Malbec

Cheese
Selection soft, sharp and bland cheeses—Skillogalee 2015 Malbec or a chilled rosé

Desert
Panna cotta and fruit jellies—Seven Hills Monastery fortified Tokay

Dried fruit, nuts, coffee etc—Seven Hills Monastery fortified Tokay

Looks like a lot of wine, not full glasses, one glass can last 2 courses etc

Once menu is settled can start writing out shopping lists, talking to vendors at the market etc. If feral boar ribs are available I will smoke them for use as entree or main, etc.

I have a lot of fun planning out the meal and buying the ingredients and then cooking, serving and eating it. The wines are equally important, have to match wine and food.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #49 - Oct 16th, 2016 at 9:11pm

hold the Camel pie monk??... I had it in Cairo m any years ago..

no thanks.

I know I have no class.. lead me to the steak and kidney pie....that will do me..

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #50 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 5:24am

You should try camel again, it really is a delicious meat. Maybe not in a pie? Or not in Cairo?  Wink Smiley

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #51 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 9:27am

Jovial Monk wrote on Oct 17th, 2016 at 5:24am:
You should try camel again, it really is a delicious meat. Maybe not in a pie? Or not in Cairo?  Wink Smiley

nah dont think so....I couldnt hack kangaroo or crocodile either..

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #52 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 8:17pm

Croc is very bland, OK in a fish soup or stew, soaks up the lovely flavors. Kangaroo (and emu) are very nice.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Oct 17th, 2016 at 8:21pm

I've eaten a few camel toes in my time.

Tastes like chicken (smells like fish).

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #54 - Oct 18th, 2016 at 11:18am

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #55 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 9:12pm

greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 17th, 2016 at 8:21pm:

Monk has neither touched, tasted nor smelled a woman before so your humour is way over his head.

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

MikkeT

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Oct 19th, 2016 at 11:07pm

with photos this thread would be much more exciting!

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #57 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 2:35pm

Tomorrows lunch will be great!

Got half a kilo chicken wings. Will soak in brine overnight, then marinate in a mix of sweet chili and soy sauce for a few hours before putting them in my smoker. I reckon some trimmings of my lemon tree should provide a nice smoke flavor.

Tonight, rock melon with prosciutto then oysters, paté and cold meats. Yum.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 3:32pm

AiA wrote on Oct 19th, 2016 at 9:12pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Oct 17th, 2016 at 8:21pm:

Monk has neither touched, tasted nor smelled a woman before so your humour is way over his head.

in case you havent noticed AiA this thread is about food ... no personal comments needed....

off you go now! thats what PA is for..

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #59 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 5:20pm

Just ignore him, cods, really not worth it.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

AiA
Gold Member

Reply #60 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 7:51pm

MikkeT wrote on Oct 19th, 2016 at 11:07pm:

photos of camel toes? cods might be able to oblige ...

“Jerry, just remember: It’s not a lie … if you believe it.” George Costanza
IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #61 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 8:04pm

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #62 - Oct 20th, 2016 at 8:07pm

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2016 at 9:08pm by Agnes »  

x=^..^= x <o((((>< ~~~ x=^..^=x~~~x=^..^=x<o((((><~~~x=^..^=x

farewell to days of wild abandon and freedom in the adriatic

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #63 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 11:01am

Hmmmm. Tried some ginger marmalade I made about a month ago.

Despite nearly 200g of root ginger cut finely going into this batch—did not detect any ginger flavor. The set is a bit on the soft side and the peels (and ginger I suppose) have settled to the bottom of the jar. Will see.

It is a mix of citrus fruits: grapefruit, orange, blood orange, lime and lemon plus the ginger. Looks like I did not write the recipe down, tsk tsk Monk! Oh yeah—three (or four, hmmm, think three) mandarins segmented and the sweet flesh cut from the membranes added. 

Tell you what tho: it is delicious! Beautifully fruity and citrusy. Not as bitter as the others I made tho the amount of sugar was the same. I reckon the mandarin segments would boost the fruity-citrusy flavor of the marmalade.

Not sure of the pectin content of some of the fruits used so I added 2 tbsp of pectin (Jam Setta) but must have missed the setting point or anticipated the jam had reached it so it is set but just a soft set. Who cares? Tastes great!

I did plan to make Oxford marmalade (boil till dark) and a whiskey marmalade (but using brandy, whiskey sucks) but never got around to it. Still, 20 jars of homemade marmalade will do me!
« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2016 at 9:47pm by Jovial Monk »  

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #64 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 11:01pm

AiA wrote on Oct 20th, 2016 at 7:51pm:
MikkeT wrote on Oct 19th, 2016 at 11:07pm:

photos of camel toes? cods might be able to oblige ...

You are terrible and I wouldnt blame cods if she gave you an uppercut?

IP Logged

Agnes
Gold Member

fish dinner

Bedford Park rnd
Reply #65 - Oct 23rd, 2016 at 11:02pm

Jovial Monk wrote on Oct 23rd, 2016 at 11:01am:

Despite nearly 200g of root ginger cut finely going into this batch—did not detect any ginger flavor. The set is a bit on the soft side and the peels (and ginger I suppose) have settled to the bottom of the jar. Will see.

It is a mix of citrus fruits: grapefruit, orange, blood orange, lime and lemon plus the ginger. Looks like I did not write the recipe down, tsk tsk Monk! Oh yeah—three (or four, hmmm, think three) mandarins segmented and the sweet flesh cut from the membranes added. 

Tell you what tho: it is delicious! Beautifully fruity and citrusy. Not as bitter as the others I made tho the amount of sugar was the same. I reckon the mandarin segments would boost the fruity-citrusy flavor of the marmalade.

Not sure of the pectin content of some of the fruits used so I added 2 tbsp of pectin (Jam Setta) but must have missed the setting point or anticipated the jam had reached it so it is set but just a soft set. Who cares? Tastes great!

I did plan to make Oxford marmalade (boil till dark) and a whiskey marmalade (but using brandy, whiskey sucks) but never got around to it. Still, 20 jars of homemade marmalade will do me!

A good marmalade is bloody marvellous.. old bean.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #66 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 4:52am

No beans, old or fresh, added to marmalade!

Grin

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #67 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 7:27am

Jovial Monk wrote on Oct 23rd, 2016 at 11:01am:

I love ginger.. maybe  you should use the crystalised ginger...... 20 jars of marmalade sounds like an overload monk?... lolol

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #68 - Oct 24th, 2016 at 8:22am

Yeah, I think I will next year. Rather disappointed in the lack of ginger flavor!

There is a Dutch cake, gemberkoek ginger cake that uses crystallised or candied ginger. Must make some of that again. Off to the local Westfield this morning, will buy 200g candied ginger. 150g goes in the cake, 50g I cut up, add some water and simmer that for a little while to get the ginger syrup called for by the recipe. Yummy with butter!

20 jars is barely enough codsy!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #69 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 8:54am

[quote author=Jovial_Abbott link=1426920466/68#68 date=1477261357]Yeah, I think I will next year. Rather disappointed in the lack of ginger flavor!

There is a Dutch cake, gemberkoek ginger cake that uses crystallised or candied ginger. Must make some of that again. Off to the local Westfield this morning, will buy 200g candied ginger. 150g goes in the cake, 50g I cut up, add some water and simmer that for a little while to get the ginger syrup called for by the recipe. Yummy with butter!

20 jars is barely enough codsy![/quote]

lucky you I can see you with that stall at the local markets yet.....unless you are greedy...

what about gingerbeer I have never had a go at that..

I like Stones Green ginger wine..

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #70 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 11:11am

I would not try the “ginger plant” method where you add sugar and (unsulphured) raisins. Exploding bottles are not fun!

To be safe, you need a hydrometer, measures the sugar content: when the sugar has been all fermented you can bottle it with a tsp sugar. If all the sugar has not been fermented: BOOM!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #71 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 5:01pm

I dont have the room to do any of that monk??.. did think about it years ago though I love a good ginger beer..

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #72 - Oct 25th, 2016 at 5:35pm

Don’t need much room for ginger beer: 5L carboy, hydrometer and sample jar, some bottles (properly washed & sterilised, bleach will do if well rinsed out) and a hand capper.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #73 - Feb 4th, 2017 at 12:02pm

Chicken leg salad and . . .wait for it . . . . . . .sugar plums cooked in red port & sugar.
Yuumm.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #74 - Feb 7th, 2017 at 1:58pm

Boring today.  A curried egg sandwich with lettuce.   Good though    Smiley

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #75 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 1:30pm

Anti pasta with my home made rye bread. Washed down with a vin ordinaire of the Loire valley.
Shortly I'll have some coffee with a lamington finger from Aldi.
The sublime to the ridiculous you might say.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #76 - Sep 20th, 2017 at 4:31pm

I had yoghurt for lunch on the run   Smiley

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #77 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 12:25pm

I just had salad for lunch. I like an early lunch.
Everything from Aldi: salad greens, olive oil, brie & smoked cheddar, ham, hot Hungarian salami (never tried it before, very tasty dear).

No I lie (again). Not all from Aldi. Tomatoes & cucumber from local farm.

Wine from Aldi though. Loire Valley VO dry white.

If Jovial Monk were here he'd say Yuk! I say don't knock it all till you've tried it.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #78 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 12:37pm

Just cooked myself a mixed grill which reminded me of those generous mixed grills you used to get from Greek milk bars/cafes in years gone by.
I ought to take a week or two and drive up through the Midwest, maybe as far as Dubbo or beyond, see if.any of them still exist.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #79 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 3:33pm

I am being taken to Jugiong tomorrow for lunch.. Smiley Smiley

IP Logged

Aurora

Reply #80 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 3:38pm

cods wrote on Dec 30th, 2017 at 3:33pm:

Will you be the driver or will you have a sherry?

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #81 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 3:53pm

Aurora wrote on Dec 30th, 2017 at 3:38pm:

cods would be a G&T lady I imagine!  Grin

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 4:38pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Dec 30th, 2017 at 3:53pm:

long time since I had one of those gordy 

in my day pet in my day...it was the go too drink in my day along with babycham.... of which I still have glasses... Grin Grin

daughter and son in law and two boys taking me...so yes I may have a shandy.. make that a light beer  if its stinking hot...trouble is it warms up while I am drinking it......

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #83 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 4:55pm

cods wrote on Dec 30th, 2017 at 4:38pm:

in my day pet in my day...it was the go too drink in my day along with babycham.... of which I still have glasses... Grin Grin

daughter and son in law and two boys taking me...so yes I may have a shandy.. make that a light beer  if its stinking hot...trouble is it warms up while I am drinking it......

Mmmm!!!!

Thinks::   "she has had one or two already calling me Gordy."

« Last Edit: Dec 30th, 2017 at 5:01pm by Redmond Neck »  

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #84 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 6:48pm

Redmond Neck wrote on Dec 30th, 2017 at 4:55pm:

Mmmm!!!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin..

I do that all the time   

all the names get mixed up here even the cats...

IP Logged

Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Reply #85 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 6:50pm

cods wrote on Dec 30th, 2017 at 6:48pm:
Redmond Neck wrote on Dec 30th, 2017 at 4:55pm:

Mmmm!!!!

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin..

I do that all the time   

all the names get mixed up here even the cats...

Dont worry cods I even call my kids the wrong names at times!

Luvs Ya

Cheers!

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #86 - Dec 30th, 2017 at 7:14pm

Happy New Year....I wont be up to see it in.. I am past fireworks... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

got better things to do with my time these days...lol..

its called sleep. Smiley

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #87 - Dec 31st, 2017 at 1:35pm

i keep calling my kids by their wrong names too and OMG do they hate it.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #88 - Jun 1st, 2018 at 1:16pm

Num

IBI

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #89 - Jul 12th, 2022 at 2:08pm

Teen lured down from rooftop stand-off by BACON BUTTY
A TROUBLED teenager was lured down from a three-hour roof top stand-off by his mother - after she brought him a BACON SANDWICH.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/653701/Thomas-Edgar-lured-down-roof-top-stand-...

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Sophia
Gold Member

Reply #90 - Aug 6th, 2022 at 1:11pm

So we went to visit our son down the Peninsula as he had day off work and it was a glorious sunny day. We had lunch in the pub, my son ordered a chicken burger….and I liked the presentation of it! How fascinating with battered onion rings on top on a stick stabbed into the bread roll.. I was not expecting that!

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #91 - Nov 18th, 2023 at 3:00pm

Had some nice Kangaroo meat mixed with fried veges and an assortment of Koori ingredients cooked by Chef Mark Olive today.
It was awesome!

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print