Lunch (Read 22489 times)
Redmond Neck
Gold Member

OzPolitic

ACT
Lunch
Mar 21st, 2015 at 4:47pm

Food for thought

We often hear that breakfast is the most important meal of the day – that it sets us up for a day of healthy eating; provides essential nutrients including fibre, vitamins and minerals and supports weight control.

As we have this discussion though, let's not forget about how important lunch is when it comes to weight control.

The common scenario which now sees busy workers, mums and students eating their 'lunchtime' meal at 2pm or 3pm; and choosing 'lunch' options such as sushi, wraps, rolls and stir fries which are packed full of carbs not only plays havoc with our hormonal balance and cravings but it also sees us consuming a significant number of calories in the second half of the day, when we are least active.

On any weight loss plan, it is a general perception that the less we eat the better, which can somewhat explain the reason why dieters choose a light breakfast and try and hold off from eating lunch for as long as possible. This is the worst thing you can do if you are trying to lose weight.

The human body is programmed according to a circadian rhythm – this means that the body naturally wants to burn calories during the day when it is most active and then more likely to store at night.

Eating late in the day or many hours after rising fails to tap into the metabolic boost we naturally get during the first half of the day, which is why we feel so hungry mid-morning on days we are consuming breakfast early.

Hunger every three to four hours is a good sign, it is a sign you are burning your food well. For this reason, the earlier you have your lunch, even in place of a late morning snack, the better it will be for your metabolic rate. If you are hungry at 11am or 11.30am, eat your lunch then rather than holding off and then bingeing on sweet foods at 3pm or 4pm because your blood glucose has dropped significantly, which can leave you ravenous and prone to overeating.

Lunch also holds the key to nutritional balance – a lunch too low in carbohydrates, such as a tuna salad, can leave you vulnerable to sugar cravings later in the day, while a lunch such as white rice sushi or a Turkish bread sandwich can overload you on fuel and refined carbs, making it difficult to lose weight.

Achieving the right lunch balance to support weight loss and weight control is relatively easy once you know the mix to aim for.

To get the amount of vegetable bulk we need to keep full for another 3-4 hours we need at least 2-3 cups of salad and/or vegetables at lunch.

Next a decent serve of protein such as canned tuna, lean chicken breast or beef or beans or tofu if you prefer a vegetarian eating plan.

The amount of carbohydrate you will need will depend on your level of activity. If you sit down all day for work, just ½ -¾ cup sweet potato, beans or brown rice or a slice of bread or a few crackers will be adequate; more active workers may require one or two cups.

Finally do not forget the good fat – olive oil dressing, nuts or avocado will help to slow your digestion after lunch and keep you full.

In fact, a recent study published in Nutrition Journal found that individuals who included half an avocado with their lunch felt more satisfied and had lower blood glucose levels than dieters who did not.

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/diet-and-fitness/why-lunch-holds-the-key-to-weig...

BAN ALL THESE ABO SITES RECOGNITIONS.

ALL AUSTRALIA IS FOR ALL AUSTRALIANS!

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Re: Lunch
Reply #1 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 5:14pm

You are right, lunch is really important.  Too many of us force down breakfast because we think it will kick our metabolism into gear and then skip lunch.

I often skip lunch because I eat a late breakfast and cannot eat until I have been up for awhile.  I guess it is a combination breaky/lunch, but I know that I really should eat them separately.

Eating lunch helps to stimulate brain function which is something most of us need  Grin

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #2 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 5:49pm

Can only handle brunch here....

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2015 at 9:02pm

Black Orchid wrote on Mar 22nd, 2015 at 5:14pm:
You are right, lunch is really important.  Too many of us force down breakfast because we think it will kick our metabolism into gear and then skip lunch.

I often skip lunch because I eat a late breakfast and cannot eat until I have been up for awhile.  I guess it is a combination breaky/lunch, but I know that I really should eat them separately.

Me too. Today we went on a little road trip to the markets at Bangalow and Nimbin. Woke up after 7 and we were in the car by around 9. I had my first bite to eat at Nimbin pub at around 1 - a vege burger. The kids had breakfast, of course, but my husband is like me. I haven't eaten since and probably won't now because I'm not at all hungry, which can't be good for you. Husband is on night shift, so I packed him some sandwiches that he'll probably eat around midnight.

Sounds healthy, huh?  Grin

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #4 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 3:27pm

Today - home made pizza. Dough made in bread machine (about the only time it gets used).
Tomatoes, salami, olives, mozza.
(Oh and a red)

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 3:33pm

the southern Europeans have the right idea with lunch as the main meal of the day, and a light snack in the evening

the siesta in the middle is also a good idea Wink

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Jul 24th, 2015 at 3:42pm

1. Absolutely, better for digestion
2. No time. Well, there was a time but it wasn't for sleeping.

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2015 at 12:16pm

A home made gourmet burger made from rough minced rump steak, washed down with ginger beer.

Ginger beer is a very refreshing drink with something like that and has great therapeutic qualities for the digestion.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2016 at 1:28pm

What a great lunch!

Brown Windsor Soup:
The quick modern way -  good quality gravy beef (the only thing), garnish with rosemary & tyme & a crumbled stock cube, microwave for 3 mins medium.

You've already simmered your vegetables for an hour in beef stock.

Add the gravy beef and simmer for a further 15 mins.
Voila!

Followed by some delish Dutch Gouda and English Leicester & fruit.

Coffee coming up in a mo.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #9 - Aug 12th, 2016 at 8:36pm

I had king prawns for lunch today but I bought them green and cooked them.  Next time I will buy them already cooked.

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #10 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 8:18pm

bogarde73 wrote on Aug 11th, 2016 at 1:28pm:
What a great lunch!

Brown Windsor Soup:
The quick modern way -  good quality gravy beef (the only thing), garnish with rosemary & tyme & a crumbled stock cube, microwave for 3 mins medium.

You've already simmered your vegetables for an hour in beef stock.

Add the gravy beef and simmer for a further 15 mins.
Voila!

Followed by some delish Dutch Gouda and English Leicester & fruit.

Coffee coming up in a mo.

Ooops I missed this excellent contribution.  My bad.  It deserves a .....

IP Logged

Black Orchid

Reply #11 - Aug 14th, 2016 at 8:24pm

So you sprinkle a stock cube and some herbs on the beef then nuke it?

I have never cooked meat in the microwave to be honest.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 11:18am

Black Orchid wrote on Aug 14th, 2016 at 8:24pm:
So you sprinkle a stock cube and some herbs on the beef then nuke it?

I have never cooked meat in the microwave to be honest.

I reckon it would be tough....to be honest.....

I am making spring rolls...I will freeze them for later..

I am going out for dinner tonight at the Raiders club....I will get my beanie out its here somewhere...

nothing like a home cooked meal you havent cooked and no dishes to clean up...my kind of feed.

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 1:37pm

Not tough. 3 mins & then you're simmering it with the veg for 15 mins or so. Tender as a woman's . . .

PS I did say it's in stir fry size pieces or did I forget that.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Aug 15th, 2016 at 4:29pm

I still dont fancy it boges.. to me it is the slows cook that enhances it....I am so old fashioned...and I like the dark brown colour which you dont get with microwave..

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 7
Send Topic Print