Send Topic Print
Colorado results (Read 5923 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Colorado results
Mar 13th, 2015 at 11:59pm

Quote:
IT HAS been a year since Colorado became the first state in the US to legalise marijuana, and its impact on health, crime, employment and other factors can now be more empirically measured.

So, did it bring about an apocalypse leaving the streets strewn with out-of-work addicts as some Republicans feared?

"We found there hasn't been much of a change of anything," a Denver police officer told CBC this week.

"Basically, officers aren't seeing much of a change in how they do police work."

Not only has the legalisation of cannabis not come with a rise in crime, it has also created thousands of jobs, as tourists flock to the city's 60+ marijuana outlets.

A local newspaper even appointed its first cannabis critic in April.

"So the sky isn't falling?" a CBC reporter asked the officer. "The sky isn't falling," he replied.

Impaired driving, property crime and violent crime were all dropping in Denver prior to legalisation, and the trend has only continued. Even drug use among young people is down, the report claims.

Cannabis remains a Class B drug in the UK, carrying a prison sentence for possession of up to five years.

http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/news/one-year-after-colorado-legalises-mari...

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Colorado results
Reply #1 - Mar 14th, 2015 at 12:03am

oh yes, the state got $50M in taxes.

Not a lot, but $50 M more than before, theoretically outgoings should have dropped a bit I guess.
Judges, prisons etc etc.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 12:51pm

Apparently, I cannot comment on this subject with the use of links just yet.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Black Orchid
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 1:16pm

You can comment without links.  What are your thoughts, Marla?

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 1:26pm

Maybe another day. Currently too tired to attempt to make a repost.

I am a kid in the nuthouse. I am a kid in the psycho zone. Psycho Therapy I am going to burglarize your home.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 10:39pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 11:59pm:
So, did it bring about an apocalypse leaving the streets strewn with out-of-work addicts as some Republicans feared?

No, not an apocalypse of Biblical proportions but rather brought in a slew of rude tourist (mainly from Texas, California and the east coast) who have little respect for Colorado marijuana regulations currently on the books such as no driving while high (offense is just as serious as a DUI) smoking in public places and/or Federal land or simply taking weed over state lines. In a lot of ways, I am in agreement with this. I have no problem with those who smoke weed for personal/private use but keep it out of state/Federal parks. You're already high enough as it is around 11,000 feet.

"We found there hasn't been much of a change of anything," a Denver police officer told CBC this week...Basically, officers aren't seeing much of a change in how they do police work."

Interesting. Shame much can't be said about the brutality, racism and use of excessive force of the Denver Police Department  - but that is a much different story. 

Not only has the legalization of cannabis not come with a rise in crime, it has also created thousands of jobs, as tourists flock to the city's 60+ marijuana outlets. A local newspaper even appointed its first cannabis critic in April.

Thousands of jobs? Hmmmm....maybe for those who can afford to invest in the growing and cultivation of weed as there seems to be a lot of competition between recreational suppliers. And not all dispensaries are recreational since many counties and local districts outside of Denver have voted no on recreational sales but allow for medicinal sales. As CBS News once reported: 'There are more marijuana dispensaries in Colorado than Starbucks." Which is good news to me. I cannot stand Starbucks corporate swill they deem as coffee.

"So the sky isn't falling?" a CBC reporter asked the officer. "The sky isn't falling," he replied.

Yeah, most of the time it's snowing.

Impaired driving, property crime and violent crime were all dropping in Denver prior to legalization, and the trend has only continued. Even drug use among young people is down, the report claims.

That's a bit misleading. In other words, arrest for marijuana use is what's on the decline but not other forms of crime (most of which are committed by the DPD, again, that's another story). The Colorado State Patrol has seen a 6% increase in impaired driving due to people operating a vehicle while stoned. While some argue this is akin to spreed traps and that the CSP is targeting certain drivers who look like they use weed, further study is needed on weed-impaired driving. As for diminished drug use among "young people" sounds too vague since many are already on various forms of meth or OTC narcotics or both.

Cannabis remains a Class B drug in the UK, carrying a prison sentence for possession of up to five years.

As a proponent of Amendment 64, the only reason why I voted yes is because of America's sick and disturbing trend of locking up non-violent offenders and ruining their lives in "profit-for-prison" simply for smoking a joint. America's insane "War On Drugs" is the biggest waste of money, manpower and lives. Whether or not more states (now legal in Oregon and Alaska) following in legalization remains to be seen though I highly doubt it will be a reality in the south and Bible belt.

State right(s) legalization is still fragile considering weed is a Schedule 1 classified drug under US federal law. It's way too early to tell how legalization and crime statistics will play out.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2015 at 10:43pm

Marla wrote on Mar 19th, 2015 at 10:39pm:

No, not an apocalypse of Biblical proportions but rather brought in a slew of rude tourist (mainly from Texas, California and the east coast) who have little respect for Colorado marijuana regulations currently on the books such as no driving while high (offense is just as serious as a DUI) smoking in public places and/or Federal land or simply taking weed over state lines. In a lot of ways, I am in agreement with this. I have no problem with those who smoke weed for personal/private use but keep it out of state/Federal parks. You're already high enough as it is around 11,000 feet.

"We found there hasn't been much of a change of anything," a Denver police officer told CBC this week...Basically, officers aren't seeing much of a change in how they do police work."

Interesting. Shame much can't be said about the brutality, racism and use of excessive force of the Denver Police Department  - but that is a much different story. 

Not only has the legalization of cannabis not come with a rise in crime, it has also created thousands of jobs, as tourists flock to the city's 60+ marijuana outlets. A local newspaper even appointed its first cannabis critic in April.

Thousands of jobs? Hmmmm....maybe for those who can afford to invest in the growing and cultivation of weed as there seems to be a lot of competition between recreational suppliers. And not all dispensaries are recreational since many counties and local districts outside of Denver have voted no on recreational sales but allow for medicinal sales. As CBS News once reported: 'There are more marijuana dispensaries in Colorado than Starbucks." Which is good news to me. I cannot stand Starbucks corporate swill they deem as coffee.

Yeah, most of the time it's snowing. And no, that is not a pun.

Impaired driving, property crime and violent crime were all dropping in Denver prior to legalization, and the trend has only continued. Even drug use among young people is down, the report claims.

That's a bit misleading. In other words, arrest for marijuana use is what's on the decline but not other forms of crime (most of which are committed by the DPD, again, that's another story). The Colorado State Patrol has seen a 6% increase in impaired driving due to people operating a vehicle while stoned. While some argue this is akin to spreed traps and that the CSP is targeting certain drivers who look like they use weed, further study is needed on weed-impaired driving. As for diminished drug use among "young people" sounds too vague since many are already on various forms of meth or OTC narcotics or both.

As a proponent of Amendment 64, the only reason why I voted yes is because of America's sick and disturbing trend of locking up non-violent offenders and ruining their lives in "profit-for-prison" simply for smoking a joint. America's insane "War On Drugs" is the biggest waste of money, manpower and lives. Whether or not more states (now legal in Oregon and Alaska) following in legalization remains to be seen though I highly doubt it will be a reality in the south and Bible belt.

State right(s) legalization is still fragile considering weed is a Schedule 1 classified drug under US federal law. It's way too early to tell how legalization and crime statistics will play out.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #7 - Mar 28th, 2015 at 11:22am

This was only a matter of time:

Willie Nelson Is Launching His Own Brand Of Weed

Author unknown

Now 81, Willie is biding his time before joining the festivities, and we’re talking about why he puts on the event every year. In the process, he lets slip that he has something else in the works: a new brand of weed, called, naturally, Willie’s Reserve.

Pressed on this, he’s either dismissive or coy, though he does indicate that the smoking implement he has again picked up is a part of the line. The PR person promises to connect me with Michael Bowman, a veteran hemp and pot lobbyist who serves as the fledgling brand’s spokesperson. Two days later, much colder, much more sober, and back in my native New England, Bowman and I connect by phone.

The discussion is below, but the rub is that the marijuana world is about to get its first connoisseur brand, edging it farther from an illegal substance and closer to the realm of fine wines.

So what exactly is Willie’s Reserve?

Well, you know, Willie has spent a lifetime in support of cannabis, both the industrial hemp side and the marijuana side. He wants it to be something that’s reflective of his passion. Ultimately, it’s his. But it was developed by his family, and their focus on environmental and social issues, and in particular this crazy war on drugs, and trying to be a bright light amongst this trail as we’re trying to extract ourselves from the goo of prohibition.

Really he wants it, at the end of the day, to envelop what his personal morals and convictions are. So from the store itself to how they’ll work with suppliers and how things are operated, it’s going to be very reflective of Willie’s life.

Wait, so there’s going to be stores?

Well, yeah, they’re in the making. I think it’s safe to say that there will be stores that roll out in the states where marijuana has become legal.

So will there be signature strains that you grow under Willie’s oversight? Or will you sell other people’s strains?

It’ll be both. There will be our own, and then there will be opportunities for other growers, who meet quality standards. Let’s just call it the anti-Walmart model. Personally, internally, that’s what we call it. A certain standard by which growers have to account for carbon and such, in a way that empowers small growers who are doing the right thing.

So you’ll also be a distributor of sorts.

It will be like when you walk into a Whole Foods store. Whole Foods has their 365 brand, or you can buy Stony Brook, or you can buy Horizon… It’ll all fall under that umbrella of “here’s our core beliefs, and here’s our mission statement,” and they will be a part of that, to be a part of us.

How many stores are you looking at opening?

That’s gonna depend… Right now, we’ll focus on the states where legalization has occurred, and as new states open up, those opportunities will present themselves on a state-by-state basis. Or until the feds do something!

OK, so what strains are Willie’s favorites?

You know, I don’t know that! I know that he clearly has an opportunity to test a number of those, but I can’t tell you which ones are his favorites.

How did you get involved with Willie?

Well, Annie (Willie’s wife) and I were founding members of the Sustainable Biodiesel Alliance back in 2005. We got to know each other through that. I was working in D.C. on a number of renewable energy and sustainability issues. Then, I presently became introduced to Willie, and had the honor of being able to spend a lot of time around him.

So how involved is he directly? Is it really mostly his family?

Well, no. This is a culmination of Willie’s vision, and his whole life. I’m not sure any of us could have predicted how fast the dominoes would start falling once they started falling (as far as legalization). And You have the men like Willie who’s been out there getting arrested, standing up saying what’s right, and not wavering from that core.

So do you think full-scale legalization will come soon?

I would say all this boils down to math. You can take the dollars we’re spending (on prohibition), and go to arch conservatives who are against the ending of prohibition, and say, “Here’s a math equation. Here’s what we’re spending in drugs, here’s what we’re doing to destroy peoples lives. And with the ending of prohibition, we can transition from very energy intensive and chemical intensive crops to something much more energy-efficient and environmentally benign, and be creating more products.” What isn’t conservative about that equation?"

Not sure what to make of this. While I'm all for entrepreneurship and free enterprise I've been weary of celebrities attaching their name to any product no matter what the reason.

In Colorado alone, you walk into any recreational weed store and there are already hundreds of strains grown under different conditions that deliver different potency.

Then again, this might be a good sign in terms of so-called celebrities becoming involved it may further legislation to push for legalization in their own states although I highly doubt it'll ever take place in Willie's home state - or the deep south. They love their corrupt police and prison-for-profit systems too much.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - May 7th, 2015 at 3:27pm

IT HAS been a year since Colorado became the first state in the US to legalise marijuana,

Quote:
Even drug use among young people is down, the report claims.

hilarious...if they are not getting arrested for smoking pot anymore...

why wouldnt they be???...

tell us the stats in 5 years time.. Grin Grin

IP Logged

ian
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2015 at 7:26pm

cods wrote on May 7th, 2015 at 3:27pm:
IT HAS been a year since Colorado became the first state in the US to legalise marijuana,

Quote:
Even drug use among young people is down, the report claims.

hilarious...if they are not getting arrested for smoking pot anymore...

why wouldnt they be???...

tell us the stats in 5 years time.. Grin Grin

Drug use is down, not just drug arrests.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Life_goes_on
Gold Member

400kms south of Yobsville, Qld
Reply #10 - May 7th, 2015 at 11:54pm

You'd have to send a million people on an all expenses paid, twenty year, worldwide quest with a multi billion dollar reward, to find someone thicker than Cods.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2015 at 12:03am by Life_goes_on »  

"You're just one lucky motherf-cker" - Someone, 5th February 2013

Num num num num.

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #11 - May 13th, 2015 at 7:50am

The new Colorado state flag:

Bitchin'

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #12 - May 13th, 2015 at 8:40am

Wonder when the commercial producers will get into the market ?

IP Logged

Marla
Gold Member

I really hate you

Colorado
Reply #13 - May 13th, 2015 at 1:41pm

When the Feds tell them to. Although I am worried about that.

Legalization in Oregon will be similar to that of the Colorado model. So it might come down to how well Oregon handles legal weed for other states to follow - then it might get corporate from there. I hope not but who knows?

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #14 - May 14th, 2015 at 9:08am

Perhaps if marijuana was legal and on sale it would cut the legs from under the hard drugs industry.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print