Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Nietzsche Was Right: There Is No Right and Wrong (Read 9773 times)
vikaryan

Australian Politics

Nietzsche Was Right: There Is No Right and Wrong
Mar 12th, 2015 at 7:27am

Thoughts of a sober mind

Can (MAN-MADE) institutions govern man?

Outside the realm of God, should morals exist and if so, what would be the basis and on what authority?

I see that you have decided to read this article. I would like you think about the above two questions as you go through the writ. Though it’s rather long, I promise not to bore you.

I have always wondered:

'What are the origins of the human conscience?'

Is conscience an innate entity, that is are we born with it or is it acquired/ learned? Because I am from the school of thought that holds the view that man is born a blank slate, I choose to believe that just like language the human conscious is a learned faculty. It (conscience) is the collective teachings that a society deems acceptable behavior and instills these in its children.  Though it pains me to include this school of thought, I shall nevertheless touch on it since I assume most of you will identify with it.

There exists pseudo-Scientific field that will argue that morality, and to some degree conscience, are a result of millions and millions of years of evolution and that the morality we have as things stand is innate. These people believe that morality comes from empathy and altruism. Somehow infants are born with these human qualities just as the linguist Noam Chomsky believed that there is special faculty in human beings that enables us to learn language. This particular biological device he termed Language Acquisition Device (LAD) located in our brains. Enough with academic crap, I promised not to bore you and I intent to keep my word. Let’s delve into real life issues.

Not so long ago Slavery was considered to be moral by those who practiced it. The Scramble for Africa is a wonderful example we can use to uproot this fallacy. If enslavement of the entire continent of Africa was a moral undertaking a few centuries ago, how have the Western civilization suddenly shifted its moral campus and say slavery is despicable? Is evolution this fast that under a few centuries we can go to?

Slavery is wrong from slavery is acceptable

The father of evolution Charles Darwin himself said "Nature does not Jump”, how would we then explain this amazing leap? Yes, in evolutionary terms this would be considered quite a gargantuan leap.

Here is a scenario:

The Chinese eat Dog, Some Africans eat bats, some people just eat ordinary meat and some are vegetarians. The Africans and the vegetarian are most likely to say it is immoral for the Chinese to slay and eat dogs. They would say it is an abomination. The Chinese of course may see absolutely nothing wrong with eating dog meat. It is their way of life. This applies to the Africans too; Bat meat may be their very way of life and see nothing immoral about consuming bats. To the vegetarian all this people are despicable. Now ask yourself, who is wrong and who is right? Is there even a right and wrong to begin with? As Friedrich Nietzsche has eloquently stated,

'You have your way. I have my way. And, as for the right way, the correct way and the only way, it does not exist. "

I am of the opinion that there should not be moral absolutes, the ones that exist are there merely on arbitrary terms. They are arbitrary creations of our subjective selves. Right and wrong I would venture to say were created whimsically. Amazing how it has crept up on us because it became the basis of the very rules we live by in this era. Is there a standard of what moral behavior should be?

A man's conscience is shaped by the society he is brought up in. It is therefore composed of what another man considers to be good or bad moral behavior. We are not born with the ability to distinguish right from wrong nor it is a God given entity, but we acquire it. What can be deduced from this is that the human conscience is therefore an artificial entity. It is man-made, made for man and it is made to control the very same man. Society therefore dictates what should and what shouldn’t be moral, what should be right and what should be wrong. It is then passed on, not in the form of DNA but via social interactions. Morality therefore is unnatural. If there were no human interference and we were left to fend for ourselves in complete isolation, then you would see nature in its truest form. This, what we have here is artificialized existence. It is edited, altered and compromised with human presence.

http://www.news24.com/MyNews24/Thoughts-of-a-sober-mind-20150310

1391662970723.jpg (22 KB | 96 )
1391662970723.jpg

We fight a holy war against the fat and the corrupt and the sinful and the unbelieving!

IP Logged

vikaryan

Australian Politics

Re: Nietzsche Was Right: There Is No Right and Wrong
Reply #1 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 7:36am

Without fear we would not aspire to be moral citizens. A man who has suddenly realized that a Supreme Being is nothing but a far and wide fallacy designed to restrain him may soon come to the epiphany that he is next in rank and then thinks himself to be God. What is to stop him? He has just realized that God is nothing but was the figment of his ancestors' imaginations. What is to stop him from constructing a nuclear device and putting an end to an entire country for the mere fun of it?

It’s a scary thought isn't it?

The greatest constraint for man not to cause harm is because man is fearful. With fear removed what is to stop man from making himself a God, think about it, doesn't it send chills to your spine? Should this man be an atheist having disregarded his conscience, what could really stop him? What is to stop him from unleashing hell to his fellow man?

If this man is an atheist and has realized his conscience is man-made and was designed to restrain him but continue to let it (conscience) rule over him then he is weak and not strong-willed. This man I would consider to still be a prisoner, imprisoned within himself by other selves, that is his own conscious and morality disallow him free will. But worry not dear reader because very few men can out-will the will of society. You are somehow safe from this sort of man because society has made sure he never gets to exist.

A truly free man would set off an atomic bomb killing millions and have no ethical qualms about it whatsoever, that right there is absolute freedom. But because we are not truly free, we do not do that. We are forced to abide by rules we made up ourselves. Therefore people who claim to be free-willed are dishonest with themselves.

Nihilistic lamentation

There is no such thing as free will! That which I presume to be freedom cannot be because it is the only one I have ever known. I was never presented with an alternative. I did not have the luxury of choice; I was born into this, this miserable existence called life. They (Humans) have imposed their freedom, conscience, rules and morality in me while I was most vulnerable, while I was an infant. Because I was naive and was only starting to make sense of the world I gobbled it up not knowing that this was a systematic method of programing me to behave in a manner deemed fit by the collective others. I had not known they were building a prison within me for me. I may as well not exist because not existing I would not have known this misery that is called life.

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." Friedrich Nietzsche

The truth is not one person in in the world owns themselves; the way things are set up humanity has made sure that not a single man has free will. In the end man, is but a slave, a prisoner and a property of the collective humanity.

You should by now be asking yourself what does this mean in the grand scheme of things. Well, it means that outside the realm of God, real or made-up, everything is permissible. It means there is no right and wrong. The nihilistic/ atheistic Nietzsche puts it this way:

"Although the most acute judges of the witches and even the witches themselves were convinced of the guilt of witchery, the guilt nevertheless was non-existent. It is thus with all guilt."

That would mean there is nothing wrong with what Hitler , Bin Laden , Mugabe , Khan , Zuma , Apartheid, Xenophobia , Colonialism , World war 1 & 2 and whatever person or heinous event you can think of that could be said to have been abominable or good. It was just what it was. But because we have built our own delusional reality, we are hurt by it and have the audacity to label things/ acts ‘wrong’.

I DO NOT MEAN TO QUESTION MORALITY NOR AUTHORITY AS I DEEM THEM TO BE NECESSARY FOR  LAW AND ORDER  TO REIGN IN A SOCIETY ; BUT THEN AGAIN I WAS CONDITIONED TO SEE THINGS THAT WAY , THEN IT'S REALLY NOT ME TALKING IS IT ? . IT IS YOU, I DO NOT EVEN EXIST REMEMBER?

http://www.news24.com/MyNews24/Thoughts-of-a-sober-mind-20150310

1396205709997.jpg (58 KB | 119 )
1396205709997.jpg

We fight a holy war against the fat and the corrupt and the sinful and the unbelieving!

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Mar 12th, 2015 at 12:56pm

Quote:
Nietzsche Was Right: There Is No Right and Wrong

That's rights!!!

No, wait... that's wrong!

No, wait....

Nietzsche was sure he was right when he said there is no right or wrong and anyone who thought otherwise was sure to be wrong. 

No wonder his mind collapsed at the sight of a suffering horse ( a wrong).i

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2015 at 10:26pm

"My News" seems to distort Nietzsche for its own ends. It is right that Nietzsche claims (repeatedly) that there is no objective right and wrong in matters of morality. However, he doesn't at any point claim we should be nihilists and despair. In fact, he was trying to encourage the opposite effect.

IP Logged

vikaryan

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 4:57pm

Quote:
>>1562439 (OP)
That dude is not wrong.

i had that debate once in my head.
What if there is no God, what if there is no right and wrong.

I would probaly do the same as the iluminati and try to get as much power as posible to get immunity from criminal persecution.

I would, trick, steal, murder, … (Become a banker and politican) just to get more power

and just to be clear, laws that goverments make are worth poo. Why should i bother paying taxes?
Why should I follow any law when I know how to bypass persecution?

poo, i would be a really awful person just because THAT IS NESSEARY FOR THE SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST

http://8ch.net/pol/res/1562439.html#1570451

Phil Robertson uses 'rape story' to denounce atheists

So what he's effectively saying is that the only thing keeping him from being a rapist and a murderer is his belief in a god? The HUGE flaw in Robertson's "reasoning" is that he does not believe that people are capable of being moral and ethical without being terrified into it by threats of a vengeful god and a horrifying hell. He equates lack of belief in god with lack of belief in right and wrong.

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/24/decapitate_her_head_off_phil_robertsons_vile_message_to_atheists/#comments

“Decapitate her head off”: Phil Robertson’s vile message to atheists

"You're the one who says there is no God, there's no right, there's no wrong, so we're just having fun"

At the Vero Beach Prayer Breakfast on Friday morning, Phil Robertson waxed on uninterrupted about some kind of grotesque fantasy situation in which a family of atheists is bound, gagged and raped. That the “Duck Dynasty” clan leader has a national platform upon which to spew bullshit is basically an indictment of our whole society, but that is perhaps beside the point.

“I’ll make a bet with you,” Robertson said in the talk which was later broadcast on Christian conservative radio host Rick Wiles’ program, “Trunews.” “Two guys break into an atheist’s home. He has a little atheist wife and two little atheist daughters. Two guys break into his home and tie him up in a chair and gag him.

“Then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot them, and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off in front of him,” he said, “and then they can look at him and say, ‘Isn’t it great that I don’t have to worry about being judged? Isn’t it great that there’s nothing wrong with this? There’s no right or wrong, now, is it dude?”

“But you’re the one who says there is no God, there’s no right, there’s no wrong, so we’re just having fun. We’re sick in the head, have a nice day.”

So Robertson is argued that no atheist has ever had something bad happen? Or that no Christian has ever had something bad happen and questioned the existence of a God that might allow something like that? Would a benevolent God allow Robertson to spend eternity unpunished?

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/24/decapitate_her_head_off_phil_robertsons_vile_message_to_atheists/

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson uses child rape to criticize atheists

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson gives shocking speech at a religious meeting using rape, murder, child rape and castration to criticize atheists

Atheists are the latest group that controversial Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson has decided to train in his cross hairs.

At a Florida prayer meeting last week, the 68-year-old used a very graphic and brutal story about murder, castration and child rape to explain the inherent problems with non-believers.

In his lucrative second career as a Christian speaker, Robertson used the hypothetical situation to illustrate whether or those who don't believe in God can know right from wrong.

The story begins with Robertson challenging his audience to make a bet with him: 'Two guys break into an atheist's home. He has a little atheist wife and two little atheist daughters. Two guys break into his home and tie him up in a chair and gag him.'

With the unsettling scene set, Robertson carried on with his morality tale.

'Then they take his two daughters in front of him and rape both of them and then shoot them, and they take his wife and then decapitate her head off in front of him and then they can look at him and say, 'Isn't it great that I don't have to worry about being judged? Isn't it great that there's nothing wrong with this?'' Robertson said. 'There's no right or wrong, now, is it dude?''

To finish off his point and leave his audience in no doubt about his point, Robertson then took relish in describing a castration.

'Then you take a sharp knife and take his manhood and hold it in front of him and say, 'Wouldn't it be something if there was something wrong with this? But you're the one who says there is no God, there's no right, there's no wrong, so we're just having fun. We're sick in the head, have a nice day.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3011807/Duck-Dynasty-s-Phil-Robertson-gives-shocking-speech-religious-meeting-using-rape-murder-child-rape-castration-criticize-atheists.html

IP Logged

vikaryan

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 5:05pm

vikaryan wrote on Mar 27th, 2015 at 4:57pm:
Quote:
>>1562439 (OP)
That dude is not wrong.

i had that debate once in my head.
What if there is no God, what if there is no right and wrong.

I would probaly do the same as the iluminati and try to get as much power as posible to get immunity from criminal persecution.

I would, trick, steal, murder, … (Become a banker and politican) just to get more power

and just to be clear, laws that goverments make are worth poo. Why should i bother paying taxes?
Why should I follow any law when I know how to bypass persecution?

poo, i would be a really awful person just because THAT IS NESSEARY FOR THE SURVIVAL OF THE FITTEST

http://8ch.net/pol/res/1562439.html#1570451

Phil Robertson uses 'rape story' to denounce atheists

So what he's effectively saying is that the only thing keeping him from being a rapist and a murderer is his belief in a god? The HUGE flaw in Robertson's "reasoning" is that he does not believe that people are capable of being moral and ethical without being terrified into it by threats of a vengeful god and a horrifying hell. He equates lack of belief in god with lack of belief in right and wrong.

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/24/decapitate_her_head_off_phil_robertsons_vile_message_to_atheists/#comments

“Decapitate her head off”: Phil Robertson’s vile message to atheists

"You're the one who says there is no God, there's no right, there's no wrong, so we're just having fun"

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/24/decapitate_her_head_off_phil_robertsons_vile_message_to_atheists/

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson uses child rape to criticize atheists

Duck Dynasty's Phil Robertson gives shocking speech at a religious meeting using rape, murder, child rape and castration to criticize atheists

Atheists are the latest group that controversial Duck Dynasty patriarch Phil Robertson has decided to train in his cross hairs.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3011807/Duck-Dynasty-s-Phil-Robertson-gives-shocking-speech-religious-meeting-using-rape-murder-child-rape-castration-criticize-atheists.html

Phil Robertson uses a straw man argument to make a stupid point.

The problem with this — other than it’s somewhat disturbing the sort of things Robertson fantasizes about — is it’s a straw man depiction of what atheists think. About the only thing Robertson gets right is the fact that atheists don’t think there’s a God or Gods that’ll judge the killers for their actions. To suggest that that means we don’t think there’s such a thing as right and wrong is simply not true. I’ve yet to meet an atheist who has espoused the sincerely held belief that there is no right or wrong.

It’s not difficult to come up with a moral system that doesn’t rely on edicts from God(s) to establish right and wrong. There are several different systems of Secular Morality already. Ranging from Secular Humanism to Freethinking to Consequentialism.

On top of that, the morality depicted in the Bible is not only questionable at best, but God himself has a hard time adhering to it. At various times he’s commanded his followers to break any number of the Ten Commandments he supposedly considered so important he wrote them down for us. Apparently it’s OK to break the rules when God commands you to. In fact, if the fictional killers in Robertson’s twisted tale were acting under the orders of God I’m willing to bet that Robertson, had he some reason to believe that were indeed the case, would consider them perfectly justified in following through on them. It wouldn’t be the first time God had ordered his followers to wipe out people He considered bad (see the tale of Vengeance on the Midianites in Numbers 31: 1-47 for a great example).

People like Robertson who believe that without God to tell them right from wrong there’s no reason for them not to go around killing and raping worry me. One would hope that there’s more than just a book of fairy tales keeping these people from being monsters. Considering the truly heinous things a large number of Christians are capable of in spite of their belief that God has defined an objective morality and the threat of eternity in Hell, it would be a nightmare if they could be convinced that those things don’t exist.

http://stupidevilbastard.com/2015/03/phil-robertson-uses-a-straw-man-argument-to-make-a-stupid-point/

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Mar 27th, 2015 at 7:06pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Mar 13th, 2015 at 10:26pm:
"My News" seems to distort Nietzsche for its own ends. It is right that Nietzsche claims (repeatedly) that there is no objective right and wrong in matters of morality. However, he doesn't at any point claim we should be nihilists and despair. In fact, he was trying to encourage the opposite effect.

It sent him mad and no wonder.

"Nietzsche claims (repeatedly) that there is no objective right and wrong in matters of morality".

Is that right or wrong?

This is why Kierkegaard is much wiser even if not as thrilling to read.  He tells you to take a stand even if (even as) it requires a leap of faith. That way you know where you are (and can do no other). With Nietzsche, you are lost, like a schizophrenic who wants to be simultaneously in and out of the room, or as Kafka put it,"like a Cossack dance between the two houses, whereby the Cossack goes on scraping and throwing aside the earth with the heels of his boots until his grave is dug out under him."

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 6:14am

Soren wrote on Mar 27th, 2015 at 7:06pm:

"Nietzsche claims (repeatedly) that there is no objective right and wrong in matters of morality".

Is that right or wrong?

He argues this point by showing how morality changes across time and cultures.

Quote:
This is why Kierkegaard is much wiser even if not as thrilling to read.  He tells you to take a stand even if (even as) it requires a leap of faith. That way you know where you are (and can do no other). With Nietzsche, you are lost, like a schizophrenic who wants to be simultaneously in and out of the room, or as Kafka put it,"like a Cossack dance between the two houses, whereby the Cossack goes on scraping and throwing aside the earth with the heels of his boots until his grave is dug out under him."

Nietzsche also says to make a stand. He has whole sections on trying to convince a new noble class to create values.

It's only the postmodern interpretations of Nietzsche (Derrida, Foucault etc.) that have turned Nietzsche into a maze.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #8 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 7:58am

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Mar 30th, 2015 at 6:14am:

Is that right or wrong?

Quote:

Nietzsche also says to make a stand.

Make a stand on what moral ground? Why is it important to make a stand if the moral ground of your stand is completely arbitrary?

What is the moral ground of his advice to 'make a stand'? Does it have a right or wrong grounding?

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 7:00pm

Soren wrote on Mar 30th, 2015 at 7:58am:

Is that right or wrong?

Quote:

Make a stand on what moral ground? Why is it important to make a stand if the moral ground of your stand is completely arbitrary?

What is the moral ground of his advice to 'make a stand'? Does it have a right or wrong grounding?

Well, it doesn't require a 'leap of faith', as that appears even less than arbitrary. He argues for confident, self-affirming, optimistic individuals to create values. There are no 'grounds' for Nietzsche in matters of morality, except that he wants strong individuals to do the creating.

He uses the noble and/or aristocratic classes of the past as examples of people who could create affirmative values: honour, courage, valour, competition, mercy. These values, he argues, creates a happy disposition. Contrarily, the levellers - socialists, democrats, anarchists - were morbid and weary of life. Hence their desire to reduce everyone to their level.

Nietzsche never gives a solid goal for creators because that would be akin to creating another herd. He only encourages potential creators to step forward.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #10 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 8:33pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Mar 30th, 2015 at 7:00pm:
Soren wrote on Mar 30th, 2015 at 7:58am:

Is that right or wrong?

Quote:

Well, it doesn't require a 'leap of faith', as that appears even less than arbitrary. He argues for confident, self-affirming, optimistic individuals to create values. There are no 'grounds' for Nietzsche in matters of morality, except that he wants strong individuals to do the creating.

He uses the noble and/or aristocratic classes of the past as examples of people who could create affirmative values: honour, courage, valour, competition, mercy. These values, he argues, creates a happy disposition. Contrarily, the levellers - socialists, democrats, anarchists - were morbid and weary of life. Hence their desire to reduce everyone to their level.

Nietzsche never gives a solid goal for creators because that would be akin to creating another herd. He only encourages potential creators to step forward.

For someone who was big on the re-valuation of all values, Nietzsche was startingly anachronistic. He wanted to re-valuate all values along the lines of Bronze Age, archaic Greece (he was a professor of classics by 24, after all). His idea on the eternal recurrence may have been a ruse to cover what he would have seen as anachronism.

The 'potential creators' who stepped forward give him no credit at all.

Nietzsche brought German up to par with French as a language of philosophy with a poetic, creative heart. Beyond that, the value of what he wrote is in your ability to creatively abandon it.
You repay Nietzsche poorly, as he said, if you remain merely his pupil.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Mar 30th, 2015 at 9:49pm

There is plenty to disagree with Nietzsche on, I agree. But in regards to his comments on equality and those pushing for it, he is spot on.

IP Logged

Amadd
Gold Member

Mo

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 11:21pm

If you grow up with empathy, then you will be unlikely to require instruction from society.
This where true (IMO) consciousness and conscience develops.

The bible states "Do unto others...", however, without the ability to, and the habit of putting this into practice, those words are pointless. Especially when there are so many conflicting actions within biblical instruction that themselves render those words pointless.

A baby will inherently know how to suckle and it will want to learn how to walk and talk without outside instruction. It will respond well to encouragement without conscious thought, and it will communicate it's needs via crying.
To achieve empathy as an adult, I am of the opinion that they must be taught at a young age how to share and how to imagine themselves in the shoes of others. Without this skill, they will find it difficult to function and find personal freedom within society.

I am of the opinion that the vast majority of tools required for personal freedom are developed at a young age. By 'personal freedom', I mean living by one's own judgments and desires.

People are inherently selfish I agree; we generally assume ourselves to be that little more deserving than the next person. However, to covet all personal wants and desires and to constantly require stimulation via unconscious actions will not bring about a long term feeling of freedom IMO. Especially when you're locked up  Grin

IP Logged

issuevoter
Gold Member

Australian Politics

The Great State of Mind
Reply #13 - Apr 6th, 2015 at 8:51pm

Nietzsche may well have been right, but I don't see why truth, or even a stab at it, has to be so long winded other than to satisfy academics.

No political allegiance. No philosophy. No religion.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Apr 7th, 2015 at 6:00am

issuevoter wrote on Apr 6th, 2015 at 8:51pm:
Nietzsche may well have been right, but I don't see why truth, or even a stab at it, has to be so long winded other than to satisfy academics.

Academics abandoned truth back in the 1960s. Now we have "narratives", "discourses" or "power structures".

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print