it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
New Sniper Rifle
Feb 24th, 2015 at 7:56am

New Lobaev long-range sniper rifle SVLK-14S accurate at 2k meters and further

Published on Feb 23, 2015
Russian weapons company Lobaev Arms shows off their latest sniper rifle, the SVLK-14S. The firearm is a bolt-action single-shot rifle designed for maximum performance accuracy using .408 Cheyenne Tactical rounds. It can consistently hit the target at ranges of 2,000 metres (6,560 feet) and 2,300 metres (7,545 feet). Chief Designer Vladislav Lobaev says no other manufacturer in the world can match the SVLK-14S for accuracy at long range.

COURTESY: RT's RUPTLY video agency, NO RE-UPLOAD, NO REUSE - FOR LICENSING, PLEASE, CONTACT http://ruptly.tv

RT LIVE http://rt.com/on-air

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: New Sniper Rifle
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 9:15am

Well the CheyTac who invented the round probably would disagree.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

MumboJumbo
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 9:44am

Well. Imagine if they put some of this tech into it. It'd get very scary very quickly:

Quote:
The TrackingPoint 338TP, the Linux rifle that's accurate up to a mile

Summary:You'll find Linux everywhere, including in the most accurate rifles in the world.

By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols for Linux and Open Source | January 18, 2015 -- 22:56 GMT (09:56 AEDT)
Follow @sjvn
0Comments

I grew up in rural West Virginia, and I don't remember learning how to shoot. All I know is I was certainly shooting well before the time I was 8. I grew up in a gun culture, with many relatives in the military, and I went to school at West Virginia University, which won its 16th NCAA Rifle Championship in 2014. In short, I know guns and I know just how hard it is to shoot accurately at extreme ranges such as 1,000 yards. Even at my best, I was never able to do it reliably.

trackingpoint.png (Image: TrackingPoint)
Or rather, it used to be extraordinarily hard to hit a target consistently at 1,000 yards or more. Now, thanks to Linux, TrackingPoint, an Austin, Texas business, will allow almost anyone to hit not just 1,000-yard targets, but also ones that are up to 1 mile, 1,760 yards, away.

This isn't science fiction or a stunt done that only works under indoor rifle range conditions. TrackingPoint Precision-Guided Firearms have been enabling shooters to hit targets beyond any range they could hit on their own for several years now.

This newest model, the 338TP, nicknamed the Mile Maker, which was introduced at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas in January, just extends this rifle line's range up to a mile. It works by using a combination of technologies.

First, the 338TP uses the .338 Lapua Magnum long-range rifle for its base. This rifle started as a design for a US Marine sniper rifle. Then, to acquire the target, the rifle uses a laser to enable you to "tag" your target. More than just a laser-targeting system, its sensors also track wind speed, direction, temperature, and barometric pressure. As serious shooters know, all of these factors must be taken into account for an accurate shot at great ranges.
This data is then passed on to the built-in Linux computer. Once you've tagged the target, the rifle will automatically track it. You then bring your reticule, the optical target-aiming point, to match the rifle's computed impact point. Once you've matched it up and you decide to take the shot, you pull the trigger and the TriggerLink computer works out all the details needed to hit the target. Thus, and this is surprising until you get used to it, there may be up to a second of delay between the time you pull the trigger and when the shot goes off.

So is it really that accurate? It works well enough that the US Army is testing it. In one review, it was found that users of an older model were getting 70 percent first hit accuracy at 1,000 yards. A trained military rifleman, not a sniper, would hit about 5 percent of the time.

In a word, that's impressive.

Of course, for that kind of accuracy, you're going to pay a real premium. While final pricing hasn't been set yet, the 338TP won't go on sale until the second quarter of 2015, and it's expected to price out at over $40,000. Even the entry-level TrackingPoint rifle, the Precision-Guided Semi-Auto 5.56, starts at $7,495.

Oh, and the ammo: You get 200 rounds with the rifle, which runs at about $8 a round. When you're shooting at a distance, everything, and I mean everything, counts for accuracy, including the ammo.

You can also get smartglasses, the Shotglass, and Heads Up Display software, which can be used with smartphones and tablets, to let you shoot at targets without actually sighting from the rifle itself.

The 338TP certainly isn't normally what you think of when you think of a Linux-powered device. It just goes to show how Linux can be used to make almost any device better.

Link

See Profile For Update wrote on Jan 3rd, 2015 at 2:58pm:
Why the bugger did I get stuck on a planet chalked full of imbeciles?

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 1:19pm

The sniper distance records are held by a pom with Accuracy International rifle.

The .416 Barrett outperforms the 408 chey tac.

The .416 Barrett stays supersonic for another 500m over the .408, the higher ballistic coefficient of the .416 means it is also far more accurate and the wind does not affect it as much.

The .416 Barrett will outperform a .50BMG using 750grain Amax.

The .416 uses a necked down shortened .50 cal case.

I would take an Accuracy International or Barrett over Russian crap.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 2:46pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Feb 25th, 2015 at 1:19pm:
The sniper distance records are held by a pom with Accuracy International rifle.

The .416 Barrett stays supersonic for another 500m over the .408, the higher ballistic coefficient of the .416 means it is also far more accurate and the wind does not affect it as much.

Your words reveal so much about your mind Baron!   Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

silverado6x6

Australian Politics

Christies Beach SA
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2015 at 6:06pm

The future will be portable rail guns.
Scoffed of course by gun purists.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 1:25pm

|dev|null wrote on Feb 25th, 2015 at 2:46pm:

Your words reveal so much about your mind Baron!   Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy Grin Grin Cheesy Cheesy

Your retarded use of emoticons shows what a scatterbrained troll you are HB.

I would be curious to see what your bum chum brian thinks of the .408 vs .416.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 26th, 2015 at 2:52pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Feb 26th, 2015 at 1:25pm:

Why not ask him?  If you're polite, he may respond Baron...  Can you be polite?   Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Brian Ross
Gold Member

Representative of me

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 7:38pm

Baronvonrort wrote on Feb 26th, 2015 at 1:25pm:

Not overly interested in either, Baron.  Why?   Roll Eyes

Someone said we could not judge a person's Aboriginality on their skin colour.  Why isn't that applied in the matter of Pascoe?  Tsk, tsk, tsk...   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2015 at 8:31pm

Horses for courses, I'd say.

Who really needs a sniper rifle?

I can hit a stubby lid laid on its side with a 'scoped .22 from 90m. I can hit a rockmelon from 400m with a 'scoped .303.

I have fond memories of a deceased mate who once possessed a double-barrel 12ga with 10" barrels. To witness what that thing did with a load of 00 shot against a shipping container at 5m was a thing of beauty.

I like my small-bore metallic silhouette shooting. It's all about accuracy.

As I said, horses for courses.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Krusty

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 10:50pm

The .408 Cheytac is an almost dead round as the .375 Cheytac is more accurate and hits with just as much energy. Even Cheytac have admitted this and they developed it !! .375 has hit targets out past 3000 yrds with a reasonable degree of accuracy and repeatability. .416 Barrett is awesome to shoot as is the big 50. It all depends on who's behind the trigger when it comes to accuracy along with consistent loads.

IP Logged

rhino
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 11:08pm

Big money in this, cowards are always looking for a way to kill someone or something from further away.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Mar 31st, 2015 at 11:41pm

rhino wrote on Mar 31st, 2015 at 11:08pm:
Big money in this, cowards are always looking for a way to kill someone or something from further away.

Now that's a cheap shot.

(Did I just say that?)

Grin Grin Grin Grin

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Krusty

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Apr 1st, 2015 at 12:02pm

rhino wrote on Mar 31st, 2015 at 11:08pm:

If you can call a team of 2 guys hiking deep behind enemy lines cowards then I'm lost as to what you'd call heroic. Snipers / spotters are the best of the best shots and have turned the tide in many battles, halted many advances and bought time for their mates to retreat. It was the snipers such as Billiy Sing in Gallipoli that  had an unconfirmed 300+ kills by creeping around and picking off the Turks that helped give birth to the ANZAC legend.
Anyone can go into battle with a platoon of soldiers but it takes brave men to go in as 2 against many.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print