Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
★★★ ANTI SEMITISM IS TAKING OVER OZ POL ★★★ (Read 4822 times)
polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Re: ★★★ ANTI SEMITISM IS TAKING OVER OZ POL ★★★
Reply #45 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 8:57pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 8:29pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 8:24pm:
Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 7:44pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 3:47pm:
'Race' does not exist.

But racism does exist. 

Its about time we got over this.

So something can exist from something not existing? Good propaganda, Comrade.

racism doesn't come from "race" thats the point. its a misnomer.

Perhaps then change the term to denote what it does come from? But I can see resistance to this, as shouting 'racist' or 'racism' has achieved such excellent result for us "progressives". Why change a good thing? This is progress.

Its no different to how 'anti-semitism' refers exclusively to jews - even though the word 'semite' refers to a linguistic group that includes a lot more than jews.

scholars in the area refer to 'old' and 'new' racism. The latter refers to prejudicial behaviour that is not restricted to traditional notions of "race" - but increasingly directed against ethno-religious groups.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #46 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 9:01pm

I guess these "scholars" have to pretend they're working on something.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #47 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 9:13pm

Deary me!

Here's me thinking that 'ANTI SEMITISM' had been about even before Mohamed and Islam. I thought it had been around since Roman days, possibly even Egyptian days.

I didn't think Muslims took a really active role until WWII - and ever since.

And you 'scholars' ought'a get your swastikas right.

Deary me, just goes to show little I know.

Sad

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #48 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:10pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 8:57pm:
Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 8:29pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 8:24pm:
Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 7:44pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 3:47pm:
'Race' does not exist.

But racism does exist. 

Its about time we got over this.

So something can exist from something not existing? Good propaganda, Comrade.

racism doesn't come from "race" thats the point. its a misnomer.

Perhaps then change the term to denote what it does come from? But I can see resistance to this, as shouting 'racist' or 'racism' has achieved such excellent result for us "progressives". Why change a good thing? This is progress.

Its no different to how 'anti-semitism' refers exclusively to jews - even though the word 'semite' refers to a linguistic group that includes a lot more than jews.

scholars in the area refer to 'old' and 'new' racism. The latter refers to prejudicial behaviour that is not restricted to traditional notions of "race" - but increasingly directed against ethno-religious groups.

Then the correct term would be, going with the tradition of "isms", "ethno-religiousism".

"Progressives" can't have it all their way here though. They've been very happy to engage in scathing critiques of Christianity for decades. So why the sudden turn around?

I know why, but I couldn't be bothered writing it out again for the thousandth time.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #49 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:17pm

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:10pm:
I couldn't be bothered writing it out again

This is progress.

Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #50 - Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:33pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:17pm:

This is progress.

In an ironic way, it is progress. I have learnt (painfully) that engaging with "progressives" is futile. How do you debate people who have no respect (or understanding) for the conventions of debate? In time you learn not to engage with them in any serious manner. You move on (progress!) and find new ways of dealing with them.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #51 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 5:33am

Lisa Jones wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 2:12pm:
Racial discrimination on online forums is illegal. This includes both written &  visual content.

Sites can now be closed down.

Up!

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 5:51am

Postmodern Trendoid III wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:33pm:
polite_gandalf wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 10:17pm:

This is progress.

In an ironic way, it is progress. I have learnt (painfully) that engaging with "progressives" is futile. How do you debate people who have no respect (or understanding) for the conventions of debate? In time you learn not to engage with them in any serious manner. You move on (progress!) and find new ways of dealing with them.

Good propaganda comrade...

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

"They're not rules as such, more like guidelines" Pirates of the Caribbean..

IP Logged

Julius Abbott
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #53 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 5:16pm

I am not sure I understand what constitutes anti-semitism.

Is it anti-semitic to post these articles?

Quote:
Conservatives suspend Sir Malcolm Rifkind over cash-for-access claims

The Conservative leadership has suspended the party whip from Sir Malcolm Rifkind, the former foreign secretary, in the wake of the cash-for-access allegations involving a fictitious Chinese company.

David Cameron confirmed the move by the chief whip, Michael Gove, and announced that a short disciplinary inquiry into the allegations against Rifkind would also be carried out by the party.

If the internal inquiry finds against Rifkind, he will not be allowed to stand as the Tory candidate for Kensington and Chelsea at the general election, raising the prospect of a contest for one of the party’s safest seats in the country.

At stake is also Rifkind’s role as chair of parliament’s intelligence and security committee...The committee is still expected to publish its report before the general election on privacy and security arising from the leaks by the NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, even if Rifkind is forced to stand down as chair.

The announcement by the prime minister came after an investigation by the Telegraph and Channel 4’s Dispatches alleged that Rifkind and Jack Straw, the former Labour foreign secretary, offered to use their positions as politicians on behalf of a fictitious Chinese company in return for thousands of pounds. Straw suspended himself from the parliamentary Labour party on Sunday night while both men referred themselves to the parliamentary standards commissioner.

The prime minister said: “These are very serious matters. We have, rightly, very clear rules in this country which is MPs being paid to lobby – that is not acceptable, that is not allowed under the rules..."

...Rifkind reportedly claimed to be able to gain “useful access” to every British ambassador in the world. Journalists recorded him describing himself as self-employed, even though he earns a salary of £67,000 for being MP for Kensington. “I am self-employed – so nobody pays me a salary. I have to earn my income,” he said.

Rifkind told the journalists that he usually charges “somewhere in the region of £5,000 to £8,000” for half a day’s work...

www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/feb/23/conservatives-suspend-sir-malcolm-rifki...

Quote:
Sir Malcolm, who oversees Britain’s intelligence agencies on behalf of Parliament, said he could arrange “useful access” to every British ambassador in the world because of his status.

He has told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that it was “quite unrealistic” to think MPs could live on “simply £60,000” a year without looking for extra income.

The senior Conservative told undercover reporters from this newspaper and Channel 4’s Dispatches, to be broadcast on Monday night, that he would submit questions to ministers on behalf of a paying client, without revealing their identity...

...Sir Alistair Graham, the former chairman of the Westminster standards watchdog, said it was “shocking” that two experienced MPs responded to the approaches in the way that they did.

He expressed concern that Sir Malcolm was “so willing to sell himself” with his “enormous range of contact lists”. He added that it was against the rules for Mr Straw to attempt to negotiate a business contract in his Commons office...

...He said he could meet “any ambassador that I wish to see” in London. “They’ll all see me personally”, he added.

“That provides access in a way that is, is useful”.

In a second meeting, Sir Malcolm suggested that he would be willing to write to ministers on behalf of the company without declaring the name of the firm...

...Sir Malcolm’s offer to write to ministers without “nam[ing] who was asking” is likely to cause concern because of the rules governing interests when communicating with ministers or officials.

Sir Alistair said it would be a “clear breach of the code of conduct if he’s not explaining that he’s acting as a consultant on behalf of a particular company when he’s seeking information”.

During a discussion about the former minister’s availability, he disclosed that he had a lot of “free time”...

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/investigations/11411007/Jack-Straw-and-Sir-Malcolm-Rifk...

Abbott promised no tax hikes & no cuts to the ABC

There's a 'budget emergency', so we will give $9 billion to the Reserve Bank, spend $12 billion on some dubious jets, $2 billion to bomb Iraq, etc.

IP Logged

Raven
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Around
Reply #54 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 6:41pm

★★★ ANTI SEMITISM IS TAKING OVER OZ POL ★★★

Actually it already has. When there is free range to attack Muslims and Arabs Ozpol became an anti-Semite site.

Christians and Jews are quick to call anti-Semitism when a negative comment is said about Jews or  YHVH forbid, the state of Israel. Yet when other Semites are attacked such as a Muslim Arab well that's ok.

Quoth the Raven "Nevermore"

Raven would rather ask questions that may never be answered, then accept answers which must never be questioned.

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #55 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 7:43pm

Raven wrote on Feb 24th, 2015 at 6:41pm:
★★★ ANTI SEMITISM IS TAKING OVER OZ POL ★★★

Actually it already has. When there is free range to attack Muslims and Arabs Ozpol became an anti-Semite site.

Incorrect Raven.

"anti-Semitism
[an-tee-sem-i-tiz-uh m, an-tahy-]
Spell Syllables
Word Origin
noun
discrimination against or prejudice or hostility toward Jews."

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/anti-semitism

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 9:02pm

Phemanderac wrote on Feb 23rd, 2015 at 3:46pm:
No serious, Lisa is correct, there is an abundance of anti semitism, well based on the actual definition that is...

My highlight...

"Full Definition of SEMITE

a :  a member of any of a number of peoples of ancient southwestern Asia including the Akkadians, Phoenicians, Hebrews, and Arabs
b :  a descendant of these peoples

:  a member of a modern people speaking a Semitic language
See Semite defined for English-language learners
See Semite defined for kids
Origin of SEMITE

French sémite, from Sem Shem, from Late Latin, from Greek Sēm, from Hebrew Shēm
First Known Use: 1848"

From;
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/semite

I think we need to decide if we are going to discuss anti race or anti religion to be honest...

On the 26th of January you are all invited to celebrate little white penal day...

IP Logged

Phemanderac
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #57 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 9:08pm

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #58 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 9:23pm

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #59 - Feb 24th, 2015 at 10:20pm

anti-semitism is prejudice against jews - and just jews.

I don't care what the correct definition of 'semite' is - the above fact still stands.

Next we'll be debating whether or not faark is an offensive word - given that it originally came from the inoffensive acronym "For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge"

Quote:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print