Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Poachers/Natives/ feral pigs endangering turtles?

Feral Pigs    
  3 (100.0%)
Poachers    
  0 (0.0%)
Natives    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 3
« Created by: Baronvonrort on: Feb 16th, 2015 at 4:47pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
FNQ poachers face million dollar fines (Read 2482 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
FNQ poachers face million dollar fines
Feb 15th, 2015 at 9:46am

Dugong poachers face fines of up to $1 million; funding approved for threatened animals like bandicoots and quolls

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-12/penalties-for-hunting-threatened-species-are-tripled/6089652?WT.ac=statenews_qld

Illegal poachers of dugongs and turtles in far north Queensland are about to face tougher penalties, as the Federal Government announces new measures to protect threatened species.

New laws passed in the Senate have increased the hunting fines to up to $1 million in Commonwealth marine areas.

Environment Minister is Greg Hunt said it was important legislation.

"I am determined to wipe out any residual practice of poaching of dugongs and turtles," he said.

"I think what we find is that these are majestic creatures."

Media player: "Space" to play, "M" to mute, "left" and "right" to seek.

Traditional owners welcomed the move. Gavin Singleton, a project officer at the Dawul Wuru Indigenous Corporation in the Cairns region, said poaching was an insidious practice in far north Queensland.

"We do have a lot of people who are taking those kinds of marine resources," he said.

"It's unsustainable."

Mr Singleton said he hoped the tougher fines would deter poachers while native title holders should still be able to hunt dugongs.

Under the Native Title Act of 1993, Indigenous people with native title rights can hunt marine turtles and dugong for personal, domestic or non-commercial communal needs.

"For traditional owners, within the traditional sea country area, that's where there's a bit of uncertainty," he said.

Dugongs are among many Australian species under serious threat.

A new study published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences said 21 per cent of Australian mammals were threatened.

Co-author Dr John Woinarski, a conservation professor at Charles Darwin University, warned the situation for threatened mammals was "catastrophic".

The Federal Government has announced it would give an additional $743,000 to boost the work of 11 conservation projects around the country.

Extra money for threatened species

Southern corroboree frog (NSW) $150,000
    Eastern barred bandicoot (VIC) $120,000
    Mallee emu-wren (VIC) $110,000
    Western quoll (SA) $55,000
    Grey nurse shark (QLD) $50,000
    Mahogany glider and southern cassowary (QLD) $33,000
    Spotted handfish (TAS) $50,000
    Western ground parrot (WA) $40,000
    Southern bent-wing bat (VIC) $50,000

Mr Hunt said the Government was already investing $50 million towards threatened species research and protection.

Some of the conservationists that would benefit from a boost in funding were working to save animals like the eastern barred bandicoot in Victoria and the western quoll in South Australia.

Mr Hunt said another of the projects had been crucial to the survival of the eastern bettong in the ACT.

"It's being reintroduced into the mainland, there are real things happening that are making a big difference," Mr Hunt said.

Dr Woinarski said the new investment was a good step but there were many more animals facing what he deemed an "extinction calamity".

"The extent of the problem is huge and the extent of resources committed to it is nowhere near sufficient at this stage," he said.

"Many of those species have declined drastically over the last decade or so and they do need our help badly."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Re: FNQ poachers face million dollar fines
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2015 at 10:01am

It's wrong to allow anyone to hunt any animal under "serious threat" of extinction. Indigenous Australians should not be given special rights in this area, whether they are traditional owners or not.

What do the poachers want with the dugongs and turtles?

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #2 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 11:35am

They want to eat them?  Nah, that can't be the reason, now can it?   Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 11:50am

Apparently it can get pretty lonely up there.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

|dev|null
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 1:10pm

freediver wrote on Feb 16th, 2015 at 11:50am:

Speaking from personal experience?  Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin

"Pens and books are the weapons that defeat terrorism." - Malala Yousefzai, 2013.

"we will never ever solve violence while we grasp for overly simplistic solutions."
Freediver, 2007.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 2:16pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Feb 15th, 2015 at 10:01am:
It's wrong to allow anyone to hunt any animal under "serious threat" of extinction. Indigenous Australians should not be given special rights in this area, whether they are traditional owners or not.

What do the poachers want with the dugongs and turtles?

I agree.  Up at port hedland they sit out on the beachh drinking and wait for the turtles to lay eggs, then dig them up and eat them.  That's one of the least sustainable practices I can think of.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Wolseley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 3:43pm

freediver wrote on Feb 16th, 2015 at 11:50am:

It will be for a dugong or a turtle, if the poachers keep at it.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 4:04pm

freediver wrote on Feb 15th, 2015 at 9:46am:
Dugong poachers face fines of up to $1 million; funding approved for threatened animals like bandicoots and quolls

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-12/penalties-for-hunting-threatened-species-are-tripled/6089652?WT.ac=statenews_qld

Illegal poachers of dugongs and turtles in far north Queensland are about to face tougher penalties, as the Federal Government announces new measures to protect threatened species.

"I am determined to wipe out any residual practice of poaching of dugongs and turtles," he said.

Mr Singleton said he hoped the tougher fines would deter poachers while native title holders should still be able to hunt dugongs.

Under the Native Title Act of 1993, Indigenous people with native title rights can hunt marine turtles and dugong for personal, domestic or non-commercial communal needs.

A new study published in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences said 21 per cent of Australian mammals were threatened.

"Many of those species have declined drastically over the last decade or so and they do need our help badly."

So if an aborigine kills and eats an endangered turtle that is ok but if a white man does the exact same thing this racist law will see white man fined $1million.

Is it OK to have separate laws for natives and white people,if the laws decide on who can hunt by race are these laws racist?

Nice of the minister to blame illegal poachers, can any politician ever get their stories straight?

The Qld government says feral pigs are endangering turtles,once upon a time people would hunt these feral pigs and we even exported this wild boar meat, today white man is vilified for hunting ferals.

So is it the feral pigs or illegal poachers who are endangering our turtles?
www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=feral+pig+turtle+qld

I don't know anyone who hunts turtles, turtles are the only predator the Irukanji has, I prefer turtles over Irukandji.

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Baronvonrort

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 4:47pm

Poll added

Leftists and the Ayatollahs have a lot in common when it comes to criticism of Islam, they don't tolerate it.

IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2015 at 5:33pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Feb 15th, 2015 at 10:01am:
It's wrong to allow anyone to hunt any animal under "serious threat" of extinction. Indigenous Australians should not be given special rights in this area, whether they are traditional owners or not. ...

I think it's reasonable if Aboriginals are allowed to hunt traditional foods - IF they only use traditional methods.

Let 'em use spears, etc. - prohibit the use of firearms, outboards, 4 wheel drives, etc.

Let's be fair, eh?

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print